Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 07:31
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Quote:
Although I'm SURE you don't mean it as such, some of your replies have come off that way.

I beg to differ a little. It is only after I'm attacked that my claws show.

Case in point, the "serious question" thread. My original post was very supportive and my second one was too although I appealed to the strength that lies somewhere in him by reminding him that he will have to stand on his own feet "someday", but not right away. As far as my reply to Kwik, well, that was a nasty post...period and I responded in kind. The third post in there was because he just wanted to hear what he wanted to hear and made alot of assumptions on what we were thinking about him. Actually took things out of context to make him the victim.

The only other posts where I got upset were when people accused me of having an ED or called people like me vain. Again, attacked first. The War Zone is another story and we can tell it like it is in here...so it doesn't count (without insults)

I invite you to look at my posts. It's all there in black and white. Never got harsh with anyone until they made assumptions and/or attacked me first. It's not in my nature and most of my friends and family would consider me a "human doormat"...something I'm trying to work on.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 07:37
LC Bridezilla

One last thing though. You asked "why I feel the need...". Simply put, I was being misquoted and the things I did say were taken out of context and I don't like that being done to me nor would I do it to someone else.

And for that matter, you also seem to make it your business to post in answer to quite a few of my posts, singling me out. Why do you do this? Because you feel I am wrong about something and you want to correct it.

It boils down to the fact that we are both alike.

Edited to add: May I remind you of a thread you started yourself way back when?http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126135

Your frustration there is no different than the frustration I felt in that third post...

Last edited by KryssiMc : Tue, May-03-05 at 07:42.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 07:49
This is my Life...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/188/140 Female 67
BF:?
Progress: 23%

Alison,
I admit the last few days I've ended up in here. How? I click 'new posts' and not pay attention to which part of the forum the 'new posts' are in. I too replied to the 'serious question' topic but today realized he had posted in the 'War Zone'. My take of War Zone would be contraversial subjects where people are quite blunt with their answers, maybe even rude. I'm not bothered by this in this part of the forum.
I have noticed a few arguments lately in other parts of the forum and agree it's up to each member to help keep control- either suggest moving it to the war zone or alert moderators- some of the consequences of ignoring it (which I have been guilty of) will be bickering, bad feelings, and an exodus of people who don't want to be exposed 'everywhere' they turn.
Carol
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 07:53
LC Bridezilla

Carol,

To be truthful, that thread did not originate in the War Zone...it was only after Kwik's posts and the arguments that ensued that it was moved. It wasn't deleted fully probably because the moderators felt that the arguments on both sides had some merits.

You did good and offered support in the main area, not the War Zone!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 07:57
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I did go back and read your posts, and I came back to tell you you're right. Your posts that I took the wrong way WERE indeed in response to others. Sometimes feelings get stirred up by the tone of the thread, and it's easy to let it color all the posts. Sorry.

No, I'm not making it my business to single you out, in fact, as I read through a few threads, I deliberately DIDN'T post my opinion for fear of you thinking I WAS. It feels to me that sometimes you feel attacked when it's not the case. Again, MY perception. There are times when I feel the same way, when the person in question didn't mean me but it feels like it if it's an issue I feel strongly about.

In the nearly a year since I started that thread, I've learned a lot about people through some conversations outside the thread, and the forum itself for that matter. Many discussions and a few pointless arguements later, I've just gone a different way. More power to you, and you can certainly give a whole different perspective than I can. Like I said, it takes all kinds!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 08:03
LC Bridezilla

Thanks PotatoFree...I do admit freely to being oversensitive. I have only been at this since January and I'm learning to take things with a grain of salt. I learn that the most from people who have been here for awhile...like you.

BTW, I noticed that we are only six months apart and that you have a 19 yr old daughter. We are even more alike...I have a daughter almost 18!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 11:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryssiMc
Carol,

To be truthful, that thread did not originate in the War Zone...it was only after Kwik's posts and the arguments that ensued that it was moved. It wasn't deleted fully probably because the moderators felt that the arguments on both sides had some merits.

*cough*

"The Moderators" (ie me, in this case) did not feel that the thread needed to be moved until the topic at hand degenerated into critism of each others' posting styles instead of dealing with the original topic.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 12:13
LC Bridezilla

Uh oh...was that why? Actually there are some really good posts in that thread regarding addiction so it actually does have some merit...at least it does now!

And while I'm in this thread, I NEED TO SCREAM!!!!! There is a person that ate two bananas on induction and asked if she would gain weight? Why is she not worried about going off plan with something she knows is forbidden? Then, another member, whose stats still say Atkins, tells her she is off plan too and back to a high carb, low fat diet! The OP says that she thinks she will do that too so she can eat more fruit and then eats another banana!!! I hate this...WE DO EAT FRUIT!!!!! We just make choices based on our respective plans and stages within those plans!!! READ THE DARN BOOKS!

This is a girl with only a few lbs to lose and this is what makes us thinner people look bad and others make assumptions about alot of us.

So, my sincere apologies to anyone I might have attacked regarding thinner people starting to LC. If that's what alot of us look like...I'm gonna start hiding my darn stats. I'm thin, but not self destructive!!!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 13:15
Fully Caffeinated

That's why I have to struggle not to jump to conclusions. In my own personal experience(since I may hang around too much, but don't read EVERY thread ), the vast majority of posts I see from people with very little to lose are of that variety, where the poster is already quite thin, but wants to fat fast or "meat and egg fast" if they don't IMMEDIATELY lose that pound..and will just DIE from overweight... and will argue with or ignore anyone not posting what they want to see... which might help explain my reaction in the TDC. I've seen people my size accused of everything from jealousy to deliberate sabotage when questioning the wisdom of such extreme plans... some of them freely admit to a history of ED, but get mad when someone brings it up out of concern.

To be fair, there are plenty of "quick fixers" of all sizes. It just hurts to be accused of ulterior motives when I simply have a motherly concern for some of these girls.

It's not justification for being accused of ED every time you post. THat must suck. I really am sorry if I made any unfair assumptions about you based on my past experience with others.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 14:07
LC Bridezilla

I never thought I'd be saying this, but "no problem". I guess what I really get upset about and I hope this doesn't come off as discriminatory, but most, and I know not all, overweight people had a choice when it came to what they ate. I'm not talking about addictions, or people with resistance who really did eat well, either.

My problem is that I ate pretty ok with the occasional treat (but admittedly loved my Pepsi),worked out regularly and was not truly overweight and I had no choice but to abandon that way of eating because I got sick. So I'm really sensitive until I adjust to all of that. It truly is NOT a weight thing with me and I worry about there being someone else like me out there. I think this might also be true for some women who were always thin and then, BOOM, baby weight.

I guess there should be more "sisterhood" out there but it seems to me that women just want to bitch at each other. I hate that overweight people get taken as being lazy, self indulgent or over indulgent. But you have to know that I look at some of you women, the ones whose children are alive (my oldest daughter died not yet two years ago at 17) and WISH I was you. I'd give up this body or 20 years off my life just to hold my Taryn just one more time.

So it goes to show that you can't know everything about everyone from their stats or even from initially meeting them. We all make assumptions from time to time and it's unfair. I, for one, have had my eyes opened alot in the last few days.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 14:29
Fully Caffeinated

Yes, we all have choices, but it's a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees sometimes.

It's no secret I'm a huge Dr Phil fan. He's outraged a few people I know with his "you choose to be overweight" statements, but when you follow the logic, it makes sense. Life really IS a series of choices, leading to the results you live with today. When you know better, you can make better choices... which leads to a much better outcome.

Too bad our own sore spots can sometimes blind us to things we need to see. It hurts too much sometimes to hear things that make us look at parts of ourselves it's easier to ignore.

I hope this thread brings in even more people. I'm learning too.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 14:33

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Some people are much more interested in being RIGHT than being supportive, unfortunately.

This is very true!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 15:00

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 138.5/138.5/125 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%

I personally am not offended by anything anyone posts on this forum. I was merely suggesting that if someone is new they may get frustrated if their original question is MIA after the heated discussions. I understand that the war zone is for these types of controversies, that is why I posted here originally. I was only giving some food for thought concerning new joiners. As for myself, each and every one of you has been a great help to me. I personally have no complaints.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 06:29

Plan: Atkins since March 2, 05
Stats: 205/193/135 Female 5ft 8 1\2 inches
BF:Have no Idea
Progress: 17%

Although this is in the war zone I really don't believe that they meant for peopple to post to get their point across and have to have insults at the same time. I think everyone can post their opinion and get their point across without all of the insults and bashing. The thread "serious question" was nothing more than a bashing thread in my opinion and we as adults should be above that. If things bother us that bad as adults we should have the ability to handle them in a more conservative manner. Ultimately they are just peoples opinions and everyone has their own way of doing this diet so no one prson is the same nor do they all have the same results with the same things.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 07:03
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Ok everyone! Step away from the computer and go outside and smell a flower