Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 21:59
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Quote:
My only disappointment is its lack of attention to eating for pregnancy, but I can't blame them...it's SUCH a controversial topic!!
The liability these days probably scares them off, too. But it sounds like you've got it down now Lisa.

I was going to start some form of PP before my book came in but was just posting in a thread about people who did Atkins without reading the book and realized that I need to be better prepared before I start PPLP. Nothing like pointing your finger at someone and seeing three fingers pointing back at you to help you see clearly!
I'll be lurking and reading meanwhile.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 09:39
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Oh, I know...I understand that it's a place most doctors just can't go. I know how I felt when I first started and how I was in a panic about the amount of carbs I "should" eat. I also read on the PP forums that the guideline was equal carbs to protein and when I thought about it, I realized that was just too much for me. But in an effort to "do the right thing" I bumped up my carbs to about 75 and got into the habit of eating worse as a result. So I decided to step back and try to keep more around 50 (net) and just eat "well". At this point I think it's working and although it's a leap of faith, I simply have to believe that anything that makes me feel this good has got to be good for my baby too.

Quote:
I was going to start some form of PP before my book came in but was just posting in a thread about people who did Atkins without reading the book and realized that I need to be better prepared before I start PPLP. Nothing like pointing your finger at someone and seeing three fingers pointing back at you to help you see clearly! I'll be lurking and reading meanwhile.

Well, I can't argue with someone who wants to avoid being hypocritical. I respect that. But for the point of clarity, I think there is a problem with someone who has no interest in reading the book of the WOE they claim to stand by, versus someone who has the book on order and is trying to make the transition. Plus there is a major difference with people who post questions (I tried not to classify them as stupid, so let's just say "uninformed") and assume everyone else will guide them while they do nothing to educate themselves. I'm just putting that out there. I think there is nothing wrong with you taking the principles you KNOW...such as eating the right amount of protein...while you wait to get the complete background on PP.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 17:22
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Thanks Lisa. It does seem like we have a carb level or set point that when we go over it we get cravings, elevated bg or other things telling us that it's just too much for us. It's really a YMMV thing. Same with the protein I think.
Quote:
people who post questions (I tried not to classify them as stupid, so let's just say "uninformed") and assume everyone else will guide them while they do nothing to educate themselves.
This bothers me because it's the opposite of how I like to do things, also I think that they aren't giving themselves the full benefit of tweaking the plan while staying on track. That only comes with understanding the principals behind it. Thanks for your encouragment.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 17:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 205/199/130 Female 64 inches
BF:50%/47%/22%
Progress: 8%
Default Read What PP says about ALA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiphrah
My reaction to the book was, "OMG, I need an advanced degree in algebra to figure this out!"

I really liked the basic principles and the scientific explanations, so based on what I COULD figure out from the book and some other nutritional facts I know, I came up with my own numbers (120g protein, no more than 30g carbs) and it seems to be working.

I really wish that part of the book made more sense though!

Noticed in your sig you were taking ALA. Have you read the section about fats toward the end of the Protein Power book? I was taking it too but have since stopped...
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 15:14

Stats: 150/135/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I am thinking about switching from Atkins to this Protein Power diet. I have been doing Atkins for almost a month and have not lost any weight. I have cut my carbs down to about 17g on an average day, and never go over 20g. I am 5'5, 135lbs so can someone tell me have many carbs I can have and how much protein I need? I am very grateful for any help you guys can give me.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 17:09
Taking MY Turn

BF:

While I will definitely recommend you read up on PP (PPLP might be your best bet as well as the PP web site) I'll give you something to start with...

The carb levels are a "constant" no matter what your stats and they are at different levels depending on what you are trying to accomplish. For just starting out and weight loss, the guideline is 40 or less per day, so that's actually more than you're eating already. I've know many PPers who have far less than the 40, so you can decide for yourself what works best.

The real key, as the name suggests, is the amount of protein you're eating. For your height and weight 27g per meal is recommended. Now that is for the "3 meals a day" approach. What I have simply done is put them together for a daily amount and just strive to hit that for my minimum amount. I'm curious if, while doing Atkins, you've been getting sufficient protein?

Whatever you do, it'll help for you to track what you eat carefully and share that with others, so they might give you pointers. You are close to your goal, which will make things more difficult (yeah, that's what you want to hear, right?) And just to add to that, I have to admit it sounds like your 135 at your height is a good weight, but I know this is a personal thing so I'll trust that your goal was established based on realistic expectations and your frame.

Good luck!
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 17:38

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with Lisa.

You say you've been on Atkins for "almost a month." Are you sure you gave it a chance? I'm not trying to be negative. Like Lisa said, you are very close to "goal," and 135 is an extremely normal. Hell, I'd kill to be 135, and I'm an inch taller than you. Losing when you're that close is very difficult.

Why are you switching from Atkins? What is it you didn't like about Atkins, and why do you think PP will be different? What is it you're looking for?

I'm really not trying to be mean. I'm actually trying to help.

How about you post a typical day (including amounts) and let's see if one of us can give you an idea of what you might be doing right and wrong.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 18:18

BF:

I like Atkins, don't get me wrong, but I love dairy and fruit, and Atkins really doesn't allow that much dairy and fruit is def off limits in the induction phase. I am really looking for something that is a easy lifelong way of eating. I know 135 sounds like a good weight, but its stubborn fat on my hips and stomach that really bother me. I am researching PP to see if it is worth investing in the book.
I think my main problem is that I am impatient, I just feel like I have been trying to lose these 10lbs forever, I started in March.

So the idea is to have no more than 40g of carbs total for the day, and at least, for my height, 81g of protein a day.

If anyone has any helpful hints or suggestions, I would be very grateful.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 06:37

Plan: Any low-carb
Stats: 280/270/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1

I don't know all that much about women, but I do know this: Most women are never totally happy about their bodies. ALWAYS something wrong. For you, now, it's the last 10 pounds that you need to lose. Once you lose that... what will be next? Your feelings of desperation may NEVER go away unless you change your level of "self-love".

So... my suggestion is: "get over it and love yourself as you are, cause you are not fat your normal.

I'm fighting to lose 70 pounds, and some are figting to lose 100's of pounds!? Get it ?

Hmmm... as if saying this will change anything, cause once we start tripping on the flowers of the rug we are so far gone that reality is totally blured and out of hand.

good luck with that
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 07:28
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1
I am really looking for something that is a easy lifelong way of eating.

Quote:
I think my main problem is that I am impatient, I just feel like I have been trying to lose these 10lbs forever, I started in March.

These two statements are contradictory, but I do understand them. Somewhere along the way, while describing my path of weight loss and health, I mentioned that PP truly helped me view eating and exercise on a much grander scale.

If finding an excellent, lifelone way of eating is what you want...stay here...join us and we'll help you all we can!

If you just really want those damn last 10 pounds off, then I'm not sure the PP won't disappoint (if you're body isn't losing on less than 20g carbs already I wonder - though without knowing your menu it's hard to say).

Quote:

So the idea is to have no more than 40g of carbs total for the day, and at least, for my height, 81g of protein a day.

Yes, that's correct. The only "hint" is one Larry already gave you about a more high fat approach. That has done wonders for both satiety and getting things moving for lots of people, including me (well, until my latest "status change" haha)
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 11:51

BF:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I just got a PP book and I can't wait to read it!
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 12:07

Stats: 205/199/130 Female 64 inches
BF:50%/47%/22%
Progress: 8%
Default Kelli, Try upping your cardio

Sometimes you need to increase your activity if locarb alone is not really working. I agree that PP is more flexible than Atkins and easier to follow "for life". Work out in the AM to get your metabolism reved up for the day.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 13:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 267.4/242.8/170 Female 65.5 inches
BF:too/freakin/much
Progress: 25%

i am trying to weigh in at 175 or less so what would be my protein min for each meal... i am a little confused
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 13:40
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo417
i am trying to weigh in at 175 or less so what would be my protein min for each meal... i am a little confused

The requirement is for your current weight, not your goal. The answer is 34g (per meal) just like mine. (I roughly shoot for 100g per day, give or take.)

As you lose, it's good to refer to the chart to see if you need to change your requirements, but even when you reach goal yours happens to stay the same.

HTH!
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 13:59

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

I just checked the book out the library because I'm looking for a low carb plan I can live with and from what I've seen this one seems like one I can. So, after looked over and finally doing the formulas for myself , I found out that I need to lose more weight then I thought and that I need more protein than I've been eating. And more exercise too. I came up with 60 for my
protein intake so now I have to figure out how to divide it up and how much or how many carbs we need. I'm guessing it's in
the book but I haven't got to that part yet.

I feel like I'm school again! I even pm bardy wench because I'm still not sure.