Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 18:16
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

(laugh) I took 3 tests too at about 5 weeks because I couldn't believe it.. 2 one evening and saved one for the morning after.

I had a question for anyone who might know..I've noticed that since I'm pregnant, if I eat a significant amount of of carbs I have really cloudy urine. Why?
For example, if I eat them during during the day and I have 100-200 in the evening it will be cloudy. If I don't eat them.. but during the evenign a have a lot (say 30+) the next morning it will be cloudy.

My egg lady's chickens were attacked Ugh the supermarket eggs are pathetic. I need to find more fresh eggs, they're too good and I crave them.
Supposedly raw yolks have a lot of folic acid in them.. I didn't know this and when I found out I felt a lot better about my first month of pregnancy because I was eating a lot of homemade eggnog then. Mm one of the best drinks I've ever tasted is homemade eggnog with fresh raw milk (difficult to find a reputable and legal source) and fresh eggs and raw honey. It's to die for and turns into good ice cream too
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 18:37

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Meg_s...yes, homemade eggnog with fresh raw grass fed milk is awesome!

Not sure about the cloudy urine, but I have noticed occasionally it being cloudy. Today was unfortunately a high carb day...I'll pay attention and let ya know.

I've been doing pretty well with keeping my carbs 100 or less most of the time, but when I eat at my mother's it is very easy to eat over 100. I ate about 160 grams of carbs today, just had to confess.

I had a good prenatal appointment today, though. A pound lost since my last appointment. We heard the heartbeat nice and strong at 140, and my uterus is measuring right where it should and all that. We didn't have much to talk about because I feel so good this pregnancy, I just don't have any complaints. My health is so much better this pregnancy, it is making such a huge difference.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 23:48
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hi girls I have lost a lb since bein pregnant (well no, actually 3 since actually being pregnant, and 1 since finding out!)
I am now at 246 I am so happy with that! I am now 7 weeks + 2 days I think, so if I carry on going this way, I might not have put anything on in the first trimester which would be great, I had already put on 12lbs with the girls by 12 weeks!
Hope everyone is feeling well!
Meg, are you drinking anything other than water? Only reason I ask is that my mum is in maintanance, and she finds if she drinks fruit juices of any kind it makes her pee cloudy...Just a thought.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 07:56

Plan: Atkins since March 2, 05
Stats: 205/193/135 Female 5ft 8 1\2 inches
BF:Have no Idea
Progress: 17%

Just out of curiosity for the future, how many carbs is the min that you should have while your pregnant and what about milk and juice and that? They really make a big stink about all the calium and vits and everything that the baby needs, is it hard to low carb while pregnant? Hope to be in about 3 months !
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/200/155 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Meg - I, too, have cloudy pee occasionally - no idea why.

Silvia - concerning calcium - there are lots of other sources of calcium than dairy products. Green veggies are a fabulous source. I also take a calcium supplement - the chelated kind with phosphorous for good absorption. I also take my prenatal and a multivitamin. I find low-carbing to be easier when pregnant because so many things don't sound good - and when I do cheat, I can only eat a little because I feel so yucky afterwards and my stomach won't hold much on account of the baby! I don't drink juice - no nutritional plan reccomends drinking juice - every obesity study on children I've seen in the last 6 months has talked about the bad effects of juice. Eat the whole fruit or drink water. Hope this helps!
Treencee
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 15:14
Registered Member

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 18/18/10 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey everyone! I hope you're all having a great day. I've tried so hard today to control the carbs. I'm already at 160 carbs and haven't had dinner! I made my food plan last night and got up this morning to make eggs but when I took them out, just the thought of them had me gagging! I had some smoked almonds and cheddar cheese instead. Then later all I could stomach was a piece of bread with pb on it. The killer was the chocolate pudding I ate to calm my stomach just a little while ago. I can't wait until everything doesn't sound gross! I'm dreading being weighed at the Dr. on Tuesday!

TigerSue ~ I was reading on past threads and saw where you posted after you had your daughter and hadn't gained any weight at all! You rock! How many carbs did you average per day??
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 10:19

Plan: Atkins since March 2, 05
Stats: 205/193/135 Female 5ft 8 1\2 inches
BF:Have no Idea
Progress: 17%

Thanks treencee. I haven't really researched much as far as pregnancy and low carbing but I really want to stick with it when and if I do get pregnant. If anyone has any links to stuff to research that would be great. I have about 3 more months before we are going to try. Thanks everyone!
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 22:27

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Steph,
I think you will find most of us eat between 70 and 100 gms a day of carbs and you are okay. I know that in TSP she had a lady pregnant that followed her plan and did well and that is roughly 60 gms min. in a day.
Underjoyed, with my last baby, when I was diagnosed with Gestational diabetes at about 19-20 weeks I started to eat on average the following. 5-7gms for Breakfast,
7-15 gms for snack
15-20 lunch
15-20 dinner, with occassionally 7gm snack before
then a 15-30 gm snack at bedtime.
I was watching my blood sugars so I would vary my carb intake based on what my BS was doing. I tried to keep it below 100 most of the day. My goal was to keep it around 90, not always possible for me. I also workout daily if I could, most of the time 1hr to 1 1/2 hours a day to help control the bs. I'm sure I will have to do that again. Still I GAINED 20lbs after I had the baby. Nursing did me in.
Tanya
  #99   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 14:02

Steph, I don't drink juice and I don't do milk. I figure I try to eat cheese, yogurt(which has more calcium than milk, and it's glycemic effect is much lower), almonds, and green veggies to get my calcium. I also take extra calcium and Mag supplements.
Tanya
  #100   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 14:26
Registered Member

Default grumbling

beh! If I could get my eating after getting home from school under wraps I'd be in awesome shape Thank God it's over next week.

I'm just grumbling about people (feels like everyone) telling me what is best for me and my baby without provocation. I can't even have a conversation about a topic which is outside of pregnancy because they freak out and start lecturing me about how I shouldn't be: <name subject of interest here>
I'm like give me a break, one day I am not going to be pregnant or breastfeeding and I don't intend to not talk about anything until that time is here. This was a long sweary rant but I changed it

How are everyone's cravings? For the last 1.5 weeks it's been my soups/broths. I eat them 2-3 times a day.. can't get enough. I'm on pickles with salt on them again.. and really really not liking the green vegetables. I managed to NOT get soft icecream on the way home, but instead of a tiny snack had:
34g carbs in pancakes covered w/butter
A sizable blob of sour cream with bacon bits in it
a drink made of frozen berries and yogurt

<sigh> at least it's 430, hopefully I'll be full until 8 or so and can just have a little soup after that.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 08:11

Plan: Atkins, M&E
Stats: 297/289/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

All my optimism is now out the window. I know that I have been eating too many carbs the past 2 weeks (since my last post), I just started letting them creep in and even though I have been eating less carbs than I would without control, I still overdid it. I weighed myself this morning and I am up 4lbs this week. And its not water weight, I have to be honest with myself. I just want to eat all the time! I have 4 months to go and I am now at the weight that I was when I gave birth to my first daughter (236) I didn't want to go past that and now I am feeling like I can't do it. And I know that my biggest hurdle is yet to come, that last month is always good for at least 10 lbs on me. I get so tired and miserable and uncomfortable that all I do is eat to make myself feel better (I kind of am doing that now). I am very much an emotional eater. Sorry about all the whining, today I am just feeling like this is a losing battle. Even though I was so optimistic 2 weeks ago. And a girl at work had her baby yesterday morning and she was the very athletic, workout everyday type and she probably didn't gain a pound unless it was muscle. Her baby was 6 lbs and I keep thinking of that because my babies are at least 8.5 lbs plus. As well, she was at work on Monday and I have never (out of 4 kids) worked up to my due date because I am so uncomfortable (aching hips, sacroiliac pain, 'roids) that I get sick leave for the last few weeks. She was in such great shape, she didn't have any of those issues. And my new boss is her best friend, so that makes me feel bad about myself too (my boss is very fit, training for marathons). Lets see, what else can I think of to make myself feel bad?! Anyways, I have packed lots of veggies and low carb food for today, maybe I can crack down and get my misery under control!
  #102   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 09:51
Registered Member

<hug> i know what you mean with comparing yourself to other people who are, or have been pregnant to make yourself feel bad...
I have about 4 mos left, I am FATter than I should be too - I emphasized the fat because that is what I've put on, not water or other non fat weight

How about a daily minigoal or minigoals for us to feel a little better? Ie: one day it might be just to drink enough water, next to actually DO those yoga stretches to make our body feel better rather than just look at the pictures, next day take that fish oil supplement, next day - all three together We can post them by noon (or when you get to the computer) and then check in again later or the next day.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 07:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/200/155 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Donna - I have so been where you are! Don't despair!!! It only takes one day to change - don't hold on to the baggage of the last two weeks, just determine to make this week different. I know you can do it because you have done it before.

thoughts are with you...

Treencee

P.S. I'm going on vacation for a week - WOO HOO - can't wait to put on that maternity swim suit. We'll see what the scale says when we're home...
  #104   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 11:25

Oh Donna give yourself a big hug.
Never ever compare yourself to someone else and their pregnancy. Every body is different, and every pregnancy is different. Don't beat yourself up if you gain weight, don't beat yourself up if you have a 8.5 lb baby, frankly for my taste 6lbs is a bit small for a full term baby. Not that it is tooo small, but I feel better when they are closer to 7lbs. This tells me she may not have been eating enough for the baby, for that baby to put on enough fat. Get yourself somekind of DVD with good stretchs to help up with your discomforts, I truely believe in them. Fit mama by Leisa Heart has some nice stretches for siatic pain, and to stretch the hips. It really does help.
Listen to some great music, I love classical, but hey if it is something fun and helps your mood there you go. Take a long bath, go out and get some sun. Being up in Alberta, you are probably just starting to get out of the winter duldrums. I lived in Calgary until I was Nine, and I loved the summers up there.
If you have 4 months to go, you can make this really good for you, and your baby. Eat all those good things you like. Cravings for me have been awful, I can't escape my need for carbs. I'm trying because I know I will have to soon. I agree with Meg make those mini goals, daily and perhaps weekly. Maybe you would like to go for a walk 4 days a week, and just stroll. If you have problems with "roids, take some extra Magnesium if you can, just to help avoid constipation.
Don't worry about winning to us, we are all in the same spot, with the same frustrations, and the same struggles. You are not a bad person, and you are OKAY.
Meg your rant was okay, unfortunately there is something about pregnany that brings out the KNOW IT ALL's out of the wood work. I'm not sure what that is about. I suppose a rite of initiation?
Every one have a good day, today is my baby's first birthdy, can hardly believe how fast the year has gone by.
Tanya
  #105   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 19:35

I have pictures of my daughter that just turned one. I hope you enjoy them, she is very sweet.
Today I weight 201, the first I have seen that since Jan. Usually I see about 203-205, the highest was 208 in Feburary.
I hope everyone has a great Mother's day.
Tanya Kendra's Kiddie Kandid Pictures.