Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default oat flour

I heard that pork rind as a coating can pop when deep fried, has anyone experienced that? I use egg and cream then dip it in a 50/50 blend of oat flour and gluten flour..it has about 36 carbs in a cup, and you don't need much, DH just freezes the cheese and tosses it in the oil without any coatings, (the outside gets crispy )he also uses a spanish cheese that does not "melt" either, I think its called Blanco? you could also stuff a hot pepper and toss it in oil without coating too. when the pepper is crisp the cheese is soft. wrapping a strip of bacon around a string cheese is a good idea too, I think I will try that one, like a hot dog when we were kids.
Jane
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 16:56

Plan: UltraGlycemix
Stats: 244/240/150
BF:
Progress: 4%
Question Pork Rind Mental Block?

I just can't seem to get my mind around pork rinds.

I've never tried them... of course I am very new to LCing!

What exactly is a pork rind made of??

Misty
  #33   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 21:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/210/150
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Re: For breakfast or just a snack

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ruscod
[B]Has anyone tried Breakfast Meatballs? I just made them for the first time and they are fantastic.

Thanks for the great idea!!! I can't wait to try it.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 12:43

Stats: 258/242/145 Female 5 feet 4 in
BF:way too much
Progress: 14%

This is my first post. I've been lurking for quite a while. I've been doing Atkins since April 1 (no fooling!). This forum has helped tremendously! Down 17 pounds.

My lunch today is sliced turkey with cream cheese and dill rolled up. Has anyone else tried Boar's Head deli meats? They have no preservatives, so no nitrates. Not sure about the salt content though.

Will head over to new members to start "talking" more
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 20:32
Registered Member

Stats: 265/210/205
BF:
Progress: 92%

boars head is delicious....i love their roast beef as well as the spicy meats that they have

not sure about the contents either but it sure is yummy
  #36   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 19:49
Registered Member

BF:

Try the Boars Head Roast Beef, spread some cream cheese, roll and eat!
YUMMMMMY
  #37   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 13:22

Stats: 215/196/135
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Parmesan "cookies"

I got this recipe from a non Atkins believer but tried it anyway.
Pretty good!

Get some parmesan that has been shredded (it doesn't matter by whom - you or the store) and drop it into a well heated non stick fry pan. I use about 1.5 tbsp per "cookie". Spread it out a little and let the bottom brown. When done use a spatula to flip the "cookie' and brown on the other side. Remove to plate and use any LC dipping sauce you like. I prefer some sour cream with a few bits of finely diced tomatoe and garlic.

Just a warning - they are a might salty so, not too many

If you try it and like it let me know.

Nushi
  #38   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 20:41
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Cheese Chips

JoAnn, thanks so much for posting the recipe for Cheese Chips. Just made my first batch and I have to say... WaHoo! This former tortilla chips and salsa adict sends you a big hug.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 220/200/130
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi all
I great some Great ideas off here Yummmmmmmy

As I make a Bee Line for the kitchen
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default what's a pork rind

mistybee;
If I remember my atkins right (HA) the pork rind is the skin of the animal, that has been rendered and fried leaving only the matrix of the skin intact. now, what that means I am not sure of. but they have way way less fat and bad stuff than most people think, they are high in salt though. I used them alot when I first started too, everything from snacks to french toast. then as more low carb knowledge and product became available I use them less and less. they can be a great help while you are learning to eat a low carb life. people crush and season them for coating, crush and add cream and egg for french toast..which is not as nasty as it sounds.. and crush and use as filler for meatloafs and meatballs etc. they are not mandatory to LC. I use a blend of gluten and oat flour to coat things, and low carb bread from the HFS to have french toast, and just leave the filler out of the meatballs etc. they are a good tool. but I found that eating them as snacks I was snarfing down an entire bag and telling myself it was unlimited cause it was low carb..and that is where danger lays.. NOTHING IS UNLIMITED. period. you are trying to eat healthy and have chosen a healthy diet, now you have to learn how to apply it to your lifestyle and not continue to binge (my personal snack problem) and to slowly modify all the bad habits you have picked up into into healthy choices and knowledgeable living. This board will be a great help to you.
Best
Jane
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 10:07

Stats: 258/242/145 Female 5 feet 4 in
BF:way too much
Progress: 14%
Talking Breakfast meatballs

Wow,

Made the breakfast meatballs last night. Reminds me of an egg casserole my mom used to make. I always picked the sausage out, now I don't have to waste the rest of it. My doesn't-need-to-diet daughter loves them too!!

Thanks for the recipe!
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Thanks for all the great ideas

Reading through this has made me hungry!
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb avoid sugar
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Thanks

For all of these yummy snack ideas. I love string cheese. It's really helping with the hunger pains but truthfully, as long as Im really low on carbs Im not hungry between meals. I like to make pinwheels which are close to what others on here are eating but a bit different.
Take a big piece of ham and put some american type cheese over it, then some cream cheese (herbed if you'd like) and roll 'em up. Stick in the fridge with some toothpicks and slice when cold. Yumm-didily- uptious!!
It always reminds me of my Mom's Irish parties when I was little because these were alway an appetizer, right nex to that big ol' weird cheese ball!
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 20:55
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%
Default Chip & Dip

One of my favorite snacks is peeled, sliced cucumber dipped in mayo! I put salt and coarsely ground black pepper on the cucumber slices, I know salt could be a problem for some, but my endocrinologist wants me using more salt due to low blood pressure!
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 08:07
Registered Member

Stats: 265/210/205
BF:
Progress: 92%

speaking of Cucumbers....I like to slice em up and then put them in Apple Cider Vineger with lots of pepper and some salt

has a nice bite to it