Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/172.5/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks MissScruff, I'll try to remember to do my journal daily this week.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 13:55

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 205/205/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 0%

that is great!!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:11

Plan: Nourishingtrad.& Pilates!
Stats: 190/140/140 Female 5'10
BF:14/size2/size2
Progress: 100%
Default the colon cleanse I did is NOT a laxitive!!!!

Hi
What I did is NOT A LAXITIVE!!!! I would NEVER abuse my body that way. Anyone interested in learning how much fecal matter is stuck in a normal person's body should just do a little research to find out. There are three ways to move waste through the system more effectively : 1 extra fiber (e.g. psyllium husks or other sources) 2 laxitives (a NONO beause they strip the body and don't even get the compacted fecal matter) 3 an oxygen cleanse

Here is my experience with the oxygen cleanse:
My husband is very trim and and shape. He has alwas had a healthy diet and has 2 BM's/day (lucky brat!!!! LOL) He decided to try psyllium husks (as mentioned in Atkins' book) to see if it made any difference to him. He took 2 TBS a day and then slowly increased to 5 TBS a day. The waste that came out of his system (it WAS NOT normal BM's) was unreal! (I will leave it at that!!) He ended up losing 5 pounds (he is 6'1 and has always weighed 170) and his stomach is so much flatter! He has SO MUCH more energy and his skin looks amazing.

When I took the extre psyllium, I could not get much "extra" out or even have a BM!!!! I was SO constipated but did NOT want to give up doing induction. (I have been pregnant and/or nursing for the past 4 years, and being on induction, my system was VERY sluggish). I Needed help!!

I did some extensive research (go ahead - type in colon cleanse into google and see what you find - watch out for the photos!!!!) I found out that when we carry around all this excess waste, our bodies become toxic. There is a very definite link between poor diet, constipation and colon cancer.

After doing all my research, I decided to try an oxygen cleanse. I was thinking about a colonic (where water is put up your intestines and then the excess waste is flushed out) but, it turns out, it can sometimes be unsafe and it is not as effective as the oxygen cleanse. The oxygen cleanse releases beneficial nascant oxygen into the intestional tract and the body. The oxygen cleanse I did is safe, non-toxic. It is designed to "melt" away or oxidize the COMPACTION (eeeewwww) from the small intestine, large intestine and colon. It is also harmless to the good bbacteris in the intestinal tract.

Anyway, all I can say after doing the 7 day oxygen cleanse is that I feel AMAZING and I have so much more energy than before (I attribute that to Atkins as well OF COURSE) I went from having ONE BM every 2-3 days to going every day!!

Anybody who is interested should do thir own research (and why not try taking some extra psyllium for a few days?) If you are able to excrete the foul Waste I was able to excrete, you will just want it OUT for your health and well-being. Maybe psyllium will work for you like it did for my husband. (It comes in capsules, so you don't even have to gag it down).

If psyllium does not work for you, DO NOT try a laxitive and be wary of
colonics. If your system is moving fine (like my husband's was) and you do not feel compelled to remove the comp acted matter, then don't worry about it! I just wanted to spread my joy. I found my oxygen cleanse on www.oxypowder.com and I am in no way associated with them besides being an overjoed customer.

Toodles for now. Hope that was helpful to some of you.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sun, Feb-20-05 at 16:18.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:49

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

I decided to take your advice and research. What method of colon cleansing are you using??????? Can you direct me to the website?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:50

BF:

#21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:50

BF:

http://www.rexdonald.com/constipati...n-cleansing.htm
-this site says you have to take a laxative.
- Needed for Program.
1) A Quality Probiotic (Click Here for information)
2) A Good Bulk Laxative (I.e. Twin Labs Colon Care) Any good Bulk Laxative will work but I have found Colon Care to be good value as it also includes Probiotics. (see bottom of page for more detail)
To begin the program take a quality probiotic the night before (at least four capsules) and a fiber supplement or Colon Care (serving size as directed on label). Note: If you are using Colon Care you will not need to take a probiotic.
Drink eight to ten glasses of water every day, as well as fruit and vegetable juices. If you can drink more, do so. Water is your best cleansing agent.
Day 1
Take Colon Care in the morning, 1/2 hour before lunch, and again 1/2 hour before dinner. Eat only fruit in the morning, at least 2 servings. Have a light lunch (example: 1/2 vegetarian sub and a clear both soup) and take Colon Care with pure fruit juice 1/2 hour before. Drink pure fruit juice or vegetable juice between meals, sip and do not drink more than 6 ounces per hour. Don't forget to drink your 8 to 10 glasses of water. Eat your normal supper but have at least 2 servings of vegetables and take Colon Care with pure fruit juice 1/2 hour before. (remember to eat sensibly) As a snack at least 2 hours before retiring you can have soup (non-creamed), fruit or vegetable salad. Use a non-fat dressing.
Diet Tip: Sipping on pure juice will help to stabilize your blood sugar and control your hunger. Do not drink more than 6 ounces per hour.
Day 2
(Same as day 1)
Starting day 2, you may begin to experience some withdrawal symptoms as your body begins to cleanse itself. This, for most people, tends to be a rough day. This is known as the detoxification cycle. Most commonly, if you drink coffee, you will experience a headache. For the best cleansing effect, stick it out, or drink your normal amount of coffee at half strength and your headache should go away. Other symptoms may be a runny nose, aching joints etc. In the past, every time you started a diet or changed your habits in any way , your body adjusted in some way, whether it was extra elimination, nervous energy, lightheadedness, fatigue, and so on -- you just never knew what to call it before.
Day 3
If you drink coffee, go back to your normal coffee drinking routine. For breakfast eat a whole grain cereal with Soya Milk. (vanilla is my favorite) or a low fat bran muffin. Instead of Twin Labs Colon Care for lunch eat a large salad and a non-creamed soup. Eat your normal supper but have at least 2 servings of vegetables and take Colon Care with pure fruit juice 1/2 hour before. (remember to eat sensibly) As a snack at least 2 hours before retiring you can have soup (non-creamed), fruit or vegetable salad. Use a non-fat dressing.
You should have eliminated many times by now and you should feel lighter and "cleaned out." You may feel a little tired at first but you will find that you have a new found energy as you return to your regular routine.
Notes
• You should be prepared to stay at home when following this program because you may need ready access to a bathroom.
• If your stool becomes runny discontinue Colon Care following the next dose.
• Maintenance, take Colon Care daily or as needed.
General Colon Cleanse
Important: eliminate the use of dairy products.
Double your intake of vegetables.
Cut in half the amount of meat.
For example: On a hamburger double the tomatoes and have a junior burger. Use your imagination.
Drink 8 to 10 Glasses of bottled or filtered water.
Take Colon Care 1/2 hour before 2 meals/day with pure fruit juice.
For breakfast eat a whole grain cereal with Soya Milk. (vanilla is my favorite) or a low fat bran muffin.
For Lunch and Dinner eat as normal but follow guide lines above.
Eat Fruit, sip on fruit or vegetable juice between meals. Eat as much fruit as you want but do not drink more than 6 ounces of fruit juice per hour.
As a snack, at least 2 hours before retiring, you can have soup (non-creamed), fruit or vegetable salad. Use a non-fat dressing.
You should see positive results in 2-3 days.
Repeat as needed.
Follow-up your cleansing with an eating program to maintain and improve your health.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:51

BF:

http://www.relfe.com/colon_cleansing.html
-bottom line…eat a natural and healthy diet and you will have regular bowl movements and so won’t need to use something to make you poop.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:52

BF:

At this point in looking at the research readily available on the internet, those that are promoting this practice are profiting from the information they are giving. Not good.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:52

BF:

http://www.organichealthandbeauty.c...veFormula2.html
-Hmmmmm for $20.00 I can have a clean colon.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:53

BF:

http://www.healingdaily.com/colon-k...oxification.htm
Natural Colon Cleansing
More often than not, natural colon cleansing means following a colon cleansing diet along with taking some colon cleansing products which may include ingredients (herbs) that are known to kill parasites and worms, which contain digestive enzymes, which contain probiotics (beneficial bacteria), which contain herbs that stimulates liver, gallbladder and intestines, also psyllium husk or seeds, Cascara Sagrada, or flax seeds, or slippery elm, among others...
Herbal colon cleansing using psyllium, internal cleansing herbs and other natural colon cleansing products, is an essential part of a good detoxification program. A good intestinal cleansing program will help you get rid of pounds of foul-smelling food debris which may be empacted inside your colon.

The person on a typical Western Diet holds 8 meals of undigested food and waste material in the colon, while the person on the high fiber diet holds only 3. The herbal colon cleansing page and the colon health page explain in detail how you can embark on a good colon cleansing program for yourself.
Every One Can Benefit From A Good Colon Cleansing Program
Whether or not your bowel is clean or dirty, or whether or not you have mucoid plaque inside your bowel, everyone benefits from doing a colon cleanse. It improves your health and your well being.
A good cleansing program should always begin by removing the waste in your colon, the last portion of your food processing chain. If you attempt to clean your liver, blood, or lymph system without first addressing a waste filled bowel, the excreted toxins will only get recycled back into your body.
Decrease Bowel Transit Time With Intestinal Cleansing
The longer your body is exposed to putrefying food in your intestines, the greater the risk of developing poisonous gases that are caused by foods you don't tolerate. These poisonous gases can enter your bloodstream, irritating your organs and joints. Alternating between constipation and diarrhea, or diarrhea alone, are also indications of foul matter in your intestines. And finally, the much more serious problems of cancer and immune system dysfunctions begin with a toxic bowel.
Once we truly understand the "single greatest challenge our body faces is the effective removal of wastes and toxins ", we will never again undermine the importance of frequent, high quality, bowel movements.
As the colon becomes impacted with dry putrefactive waste, its shape and function are affected in numerous ways. It may stretch like a balloon in certain areas, or develop diverticula (pouches on the intestinal wall which may become infected), or fall down upon itself (prolapsed colon). All of these colon malformations greatly impair your large intestine's ability to function, which in turn places severe strain on your digestive organs and glands and affects nutrient assimilation and absorption. The colon is the body's "sewer system", and if not treated properly can accumulate toxic poisons, which are absorbed into the bloodstream. This in turn can cause many diseases.
A standard bowel cleanse contains:
• fasting on water, juices, raw fruits and vegetables
• Probiotics
• Psyllium husk and/or seeds or flax seeds
• bentonite clay (green clay)
• salt water enema
Bentonite clay and flaxseeds assist with the colon cleansing process. Bentonite is a type of edible clay that acts as a bulk laxative by absorbing water to form a gel. It binds toxins such as pesticides and helps to carry them out of the colon. Flaxseeds also absorb water and expand in the colon, allowing toxins and mucus to be removed. In addition, flaxseeds have been found to lower cholesterol levels.
As part of your colon cleansing program, take one tablespoon of liquid bentonite and one tablespoon of ground flaxseeds in a glass of water first thing in the morning (wait at least 1/2 hour before eating) and before bed. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day or constipation may result. Bentonite intake should be reduced and timed away from medication intake as it may interfere with absorption. I find one of the best places to buy a high quality colon cleaning product containing bentonite clay is here
LEMON JUICE in water also has a slightly laxative effect and stimulates the digestive juices. Squeeze half a lemon into warm water and drink immediately after rising in the morning, before having the bentonite clay and flaxseed drink.
An important component of a colon cleansing program is the use of probiotics to help replenish the population of friendly bacteria which resides in your colon
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:54

BF:

http://www.hps-online.com/nsectionfast.htm
-points out the body acts as a sewer system so my thought here is if one eats a natural and balanced diet then they wouldn’t need this.
-not just a cleansing, but a special diet is to be followed as well. So, do you follow the diet?
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:56

BF:

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxif.../probiotics.htm

There are other foods, such as bananas, garlic and onions, which can also help repopulate levels of the good bacteria in the intestine. But we do not yet know how many you need to eat for the best results and, you can only eat so much garlic in a day!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 15:12

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 210.8/193.5/120 Female 66 in
BF:44/??/15%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
At this point in looking at the research readily available on the internet, those that are promoting this practice are profiting from the information they are giving. Not good.

Exactly! People, when you do your research, please be sure that it is backed by science. Not this pseudo-science made up by product manufacturers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...9&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...9&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncahf.org/articles/c-d/colonic.html

Flame me, hate me, whatever. But I don't buy any 'evidence' unless it's been subjected to rigorous scientific experimentation by a third party who does not have a financial stake in the outcome.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 15:30

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

I know exactly what you mean. I am on maintaince and eat at least 45grams of fiber a day, as well as drink plenty of water and no matter what i can NEVER go to the bathroom on my own. I will go an entire week without going, and by the end of the week my stomach is completely bloated and hurts. I have to take a laxative at the end of the week and it completely cleans everything out of my lower bowels - my stomach goes back to being flat and i feel much much better. I have tried everything - flax seed, psyllum husk, vitamin c, magnesium - you name it ive tried it and it doesnt work. When i can afford it ill go for a session of colon hydrotherapy which works really well also, its just expensive.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 15:53
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

I suffer with you.... I rarely go either, and I've done the 'extra fiber', flaxseed, flaxseed oil capsules, whole lotta water, Metamucil, Benefiber, I'm eating all my veggies, I'm active. But, my colon just doesn't seem to care... It's not unusual for me to go a week without 'going' either, and praise jesus if I actually do TWICE A WEEK.
So thanks lilylou for posting this for those of us that actually SUFFER. Although I may or may not try it.. its nice to see products that are out there and hear about testimonies from people who have actually tried it.