Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 16:28

Plan: none
Stats: 105/105/120 Female 5ft2inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yes Levoxyl is a different brand. After RAI my T4 T3 levels skyrocketed (double what they are today). I had to take PTU to calm it down and wait to go HYPO. After a couple weeks my TSH was 23.5 and the first med he put me on was levoxyl. After 4 weeks my TSH had not changed and he increased to .1 Levothroid. I dont think there is much difference between the 2 brands. Another thing I forgot to mention was that around the time I became puffy I was seeing a dermatologist for skin problems and was taking tetracycline. I now know that antibiotics can kill "friendly" bacteria in the gut causing a host of other problems. Under normal circumstances I dont think this would happen but since my body was already burdened with the thyroid imbalance it might have been the straw that broke the camels back. That is also when I started having food allergies, bloating, etc.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 17:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Ha-ha...some days I do feel as if I'm slowly dying. My doc says I'll probably never be back to normal again and I just need to accept that. That is NOT acceptable to me. I remember when they talked me into RAI and spoke of the benefits over taking PTU. They made it seem so easy and once I swallow the pill all will be well..I am frusterated cuz now that I've done that I am no longer myself and they do not seem to care. You girls have given me some hope that I will be back to myself again.

Oh man, I could have written that.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 21:41

BF:

I just spoke with my Endo about my lab results. BTW my Endo is not the one who said my labs were "excellent". (That was my GP) Awhile back I had asked him about my T3 being so low in comparison with my T4. He had said that it was not normal but did not offer any explanations. Tonight I asked him about the possibility that I may not be converting T4 to T3. He said that I can hypothisize all I want but that this has never been proven to be true. He said that while some people firmly believe this to be possible there is no scientific evidence to prove it. According to him Dr. Wilson's (Wilson's Syndrome) theories are just that, theories, and though they may or may not be valid they have yet to be proven. Is it truelly possible for the body to stop converting T4? People who are ill or hospitilized generally have low T3 levels...does this mean that something else may be wrong with me and thats why I'm not converting?
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 22:12

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

No, it means your body isn't good at converting T4 to T3. Sick people are that way *temporarily*. As you've seen from repeated labs, you're that way all the time.

Get. A. New. Doctor. LOL!!

I'm serious. You have been told very clearly by your current docs what they think and what kind of medical treatment you are going to get. If you do not feel well right now, your choices are A) stay with your current doctor and live with how you feel, or B) go to another doctor.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 08:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshne24
I just spoke with my Endo about my lab results. Awhile back I had asked him about my T3 being so low in comparison with my T4. He had said that it was not normal but did not offer any explanations. Tonight I asked him about the possibility that I may not be converting T4 to T3. He said that I can hypothisize all I want but that this has never been proven to be true. He said that while some people firmly believe this to be possible there is no scientific evidence to prove it. According to him Dr. Wilson's (Wilson's Syndrome) theories are just that, theories, and though they may or may not be valid they have yet to be proven.

He's right about Wilson's theories, no one has been able to duplicate them in a lab. However, that's not the same as saying 'it's never been proven that hypots don't convert poorly' - it has been proven, time and time again. If you don't make enough T4 then what's not to say you don't make enough T3 from that T4? To be sure you do a FT3 test; voila, you now know the situation.

Quote:
Is it truelly possible for the body to stop converting T4? People who are ill or hospitilized generally have low T3 levels...does this mean that something else may be wrong with me and thats why I'm not converting?

Being hopsitalized, being sick but still being euthyroid (healthy thyroid) can result in low FT3 levels; but as Friday pointed out, this is temporary - its the body's reaction to trauma, and being sick and in the hospital is very traumatic to your body. You're not that person; your FT3 was consistently low, heck, you've had your thyroid nuked, you're not even making T3 like someone who's euthyroid is. There are some cells in your body that absolutely positively need T3 that is not converted. If your ENDO doesn't know this (basic biology) then you cannot expect him to be able to treat you, to be able to help you.

You need a better doctor.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 11:07

BF:

Today I am on a mission to find a new doctor! I checked out Top Docs & there are alot in my area. Unfortunately they seem to be closed for holiday. The only quote I've gotten is $300-600 for one visit . The secretary didnt seem too sure though...someone more knowledgeable will be calling me back. I'm hoping its not that expensive.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 13:07

BF:

I got an appt. set up with Dr. Catherine Grellet. I read her testimonials and she sounds great! I wont get to see her until 3-21 but I feel really good about it and hopefully she'll be worth the wait. Thanks to Nat, Friday and Nancy for all your help. If all goes well with my appt. I can leave Kaiser in April and will gladly do so.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 13:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Horray! Is the price reasonable?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 13:19

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Wow! How'd you get in with Dr. Grellet??? They told me she wasn't accepting new patients less than a month ago. That's cool.. Her name is all over the place on thyroid boards. She seems really good. I may try to get back in with her if I end up not happy with the Doc I'm seeing.

Good luck! And don't forget to get on her cancellation list. It's pretty common to be able to get an earlier appointment this way.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 14:08

BF:

I wouldn't exactly say the price is reasonable but then again I've never paid more than $10 to see a doctor. It is $330 and that seems to be the norm...I've called others & the cheapest I found was $310. From what I've read she's worth every penny. We'll see.
Cindy, Wow! I guess today was my lucky day. I wont be able to get on a cancellation list since I was told Dr. Grellet is out of the country until 3-15. I guess I'm extremely lucky to be able to see her on the 21st.
I was wondering if you girls can tell me of any tests that I can have done before I see her. I would like to have up to date labs done but am not sure what to request other than the obvious TSH,T4 &T3. I also just got cholesterol levels checked.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 20:13

BF:

Earlier Nat mentioned that when thyroid hormones are out of whack, so are all the other hormones (estrogen, progesterone, cortisol, etc). Should I have these hormones tested? If the thyroid balance is restored will all other hormones be corrected as well? Awhile back my Endo (firmly believing my thyroid is fine) suggested birth control pills as a possible resolution to my problems. I declined but am now curious about these other hormones.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 20:16

BF:

Rachel, TSH, FT4, FT3 and TPO and ferritin would be good. You can get the Thyroid Panel II from healthcheckusa.com and ask for them to add in the TPO and ferritin tests as well.

Dr. Grellet has an awesome reputation, you should be very happy with her.

Cindy, you've got a great doc
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 22:40

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Glad you got an appointment, Rachel! And yes, FREE T4 and FREE T3 - make sure the word 'free' is in there. If Kaiser won't do the tests, you can get them from healthcheck or ask Grellet's office to fax/mail you a lab slip.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 13:29

BF:

Thanks Friday. I was thinking of asking for a TRH stimulation test and possibly a test to check for thyroid antibodies. I have a stack of filled out lab slips for TSH, FT4, & TT3 (will have to get them to add the FT3) but was wondering if having those other tests done might be beneficial.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 16:43

BF:

Antibodies would be helpful, Rachel. TRH might prove dificult to obtain, most labs don't do it anymore, and seeing as you've had your thyroid nuked, you're on thyroid hormones because of your thyroid. TRH is to tell you if the problem with your thyroid hormones is because of your pituitary / hypothalamus.