Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 14:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/131.7/132 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default General Topics

Of course, there are some general topics we'd all love to hear about, like: How Sam and Mischa are enjoying their trip to Vancouver, and how Karen's trip to Hong-Kong went.

Ruth Jeanette
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 16:51

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hello all,

I will not be able to make it to the dinner, I just had a phone call, we are having out of town friends coming, and need to entertain them

Hope to see you all at another get together,

maggie
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 17:09

BF:

Hi Maggie:

Sorry you won't be able to make it. Have a great time with your out of towners. Check out my journal for places I took my aunt to on her recent visit.

Look forward to chatting with you next time.

Cheers. Ruth Jeanette.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 09:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Eventually, I'll find the time to review my digital imaging class notes and make us all look 10 years younger. Maybe by the time of our next meet.
I've been taking an Adobe Photoshop course.

Karen
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 10:55

BF:

Photoshop! That's great. Is it Elements or CS? What camera do you have? Any progress on the cracker recipe?

(I was please when I went to the Cookshop website to see that I can take your April classes and also the March 22 one. One of my March Camera Club meetings was changed because of the Spring break.)

Cheers. Ruth
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 11:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Is it Elements or CS?
Photoshop 7. Maybe I should upgrade.
Quote:
Any progress on the cracker recipe?
Oh, I thought they were yummy as is. They will be served tonight with blue cheese butter.

Karen
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 12:09

BF:

Hi again Karen:

I agree with you. Those crackers were delish. By progress, I meant: Hint,hint, beg, beg, "When can I get a copy of the recipe?"

Yes, it is worth it to get Photoshop CS. It has a feature: Image/Adjustments/ShadowHighlights that is worth the price alone. Have you tried the Automate/Photo Gallery feature yet? You can then use WS_FTP to put your images on your website.

Enjoy this fabulous, sunny day. Ruth
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 12:44

BF:
Default Digital Cameras.

Karen, if you or anyone else in this group is interested in getting a new digital camera, The New York Times had a review of three new 8 megapixel cameras. Here's a link to it. These cameras will be great for taking pictures of low-carb dishes .

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/24/t.../24stat.html?th

Ruth
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 19:52
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I'm SOOO sad I can't make it tonight. Too much work, too little energy. I was really looking forward to this. :sigh:

Y'all have a great time. Look forward to hearing how musical chairs works out.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 09:52

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Sorry that I missed too - I didn't leave work until after 8pm. Please tell me that Karen rec'd my message that I had to cancel. I called the FH around 7:10PM...

So how did the chair swapping go?
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 09:57
I've decided

Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default Sushi Maker

As mentioned to a couple of people last night, here's that Sushi Maker thing that I love so much :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...466352?v=glance

This thing's a lot of fun, and I think it could certainly be used for other things besides sushi.

It's an excellent tool for those of us who aren't master sushi makers or what have you, or even those of us who don't have a whole lot of time or patience.

You can make some pretty neat-looking appetizers with this

PS - on edit: here's a more thorough photo description of the product and how it works:

http://www.youcansave.com/sushi.asp

Last edited by Citruskiss : Fri, Feb-25-05 at 10:30.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 21:15
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

Sam and I are back in Victoria.

What a great evening we had..was nice getting together with you all again. And the food.. well the food is always to die for. Thanks Karen!

I will post the pictures later
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 23:39
Trying the dark side

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 207.6/183/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Last night was a fabulous evening. I really had a great visit, due to the 'musical chairs' we played great idea Patrica and Ruth. Not only was there great food,( Karen where would we be without you?) and company but I actually came away really well motivated and enthused. There was Sam looking gorgeous with her 100 pound weight loss and stressing the advantages of drinking water, Mischa sharing her idea of giving up artifical sweetners for a while and focusing on portion control to recommence weight loss... yes yes yes. Today I skipped my sugar free vanilla in my coffee and drank more water then I usually manage. So much benefit from such a great evening. Thank you all.

Cheers
Malvene
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 07:48
I've decided

Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I had a wonderful time meeting you all, and I too, came away with lots of great tips on LC'ing, particularly cooking ideas.

The moving around thing was a good idea too, as I got a chance to talk to other people at the end of the table, which was nice.

I'm more motivated now - especially in terms of making sure I get in my water, because I've let that slip in the past week or so. Hearing Sam talking about how important the water is, and also hearing about "power walking" almost every day during the weight loss was a very big motivator for me. I've been rather lax about getting moving, not to mention my water intake has dropped off.

Karen - the meal was fantastic, and I really enjoyed the extra treats at the beginning of the meal, those crisps with blue cheese butter, and those fabulous goat cheese & lobster appetizers - wow! My salmon and prawns entree was to die for ....took my time eating it so I could savour every bite.
Thanks for creating such a nice menu for us

You know what? Even though I'm still on induction (our outing was a planned minor 'carb up' or whatever you wanna call it), I feel that this dinner out helped me realize (again) that LC'ing really can be a way of life. The food was so fantastic, and there were lots of goodies to try - and I found myself thinking, "I really could eat like this forever". I'm not so worried now about "well what happens when I've lost the weight?" because I'm learning just how good LC food really is. I don't miss the potatoes or the bread at all, and I'm not as afraid of desserts (in the future I mean) now, because I'm learning they can all be made low carb, and they're just as good (if not better) as so-called "regular" desserts.

Anyway, thanks everyone for a nice night, I'm glad I decided to join you all. 'Twas fun

#60   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 13:27
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

I finally crawled out of my post-Vancouver fog to come over here to thank you all for making my experience at my first Vancouver meet-up such a wonderful memory. Karen, the food was even more than expected...truly a "dining event". LC food is my way of life, this much I know...but there is no way on earth anyone could describe the food at the Fish House as "diet food". It was truly an incredible meal.

As for the company, I had a wonderful time meeting you all. Time flew by that evening and the conversation and laughs will go with me back east and become fond memories.

Thanks to everyone for making my visit truly special!!!

Sam