Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 17:19

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiev1
So far, at 140 lbs, you are severly under-weight for a young, healthy male. Calorie-counting can get very obsessive, and lead to eating disorders. It's not how low weight you can get, but how healthy you are

Well I guess all wrestlers are underweight but I guess you know nothing about gentic limitations and building muscle. 140 lbs is the lowest weight I can get and this is where I have the least fat. Most men who are around 185 their lowest weight would be 165 if they stripped off all their fat. So at 18 weighing 140 how does that make me unhlealthy. If my blood pressure cholestrol and everything is perfect I don't know how that makes me underweight or unhelathy. If i was 165 at 15 percent body fat would that make me more healthy? I doubt it. So I guess all athletes weighing 140 lbs and below are unhealthy including wrestlers. Some people are shorter some are smaller. At 5 6 weighing 140 lbs with very little fat makes me unhlealthy?
I'm only 18 I haven't started my bulking phase something I will do in the summer to reach 165. My goals are simple minimum fat maximul muscle. My goal is not throw my body fat to a another level. If you saw me you would not say I am underweight. I'll post a picture soon.

Your profile says you are 5'8, not 5'6.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: dr ellis
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 5 8
BF:
Progress:

Lisa your goal is to get down to 22 percent body fat. Our calories needs are coompletely different. For an overweight person to lose is fairly easy but for a person who has 10 percent to get down to 5 percent is super hard. I can maintain 10 percent without exersing at a bodyweight of around 148.
So....you had 15 pounds to lose (which shouldn't take long for a healthy 18 year old male), you lost it following a plan that you admit you can't maintain without 2 hours of exercise a day. Really Lisa so to get down from 15 percent to 5 percent is farely easy. I had 15 lbs to lose but my bodyfat levels were extremly low.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 17:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
You keep saying this, but don't tell us how you come to the conclusion that Dr. Atkins was overweight. Please...enlighten us.

Well Lisa if you've read anything I've posted you can see what I am trying to say is that you can't eat as much as you want and be lean. Look at my first couple of post about how Atkins disregards calories. Well if you look at him then you can obviously see he is overweight. Oh not overweight according to who the body mass index. PLEASE. A 5 6 bodybuilder is overweight according to the body mass index. What is your definiiton of overweight. Obviously you and see overweight as something different. I consider a beer belly overweight something that Atkins has. 286 at the time of his death. Yes I know some of it was water but it still makes him overweight.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/2/10-133186.html

Dr. Atkins BMI the day after his accident was 26.4 and his weight was recorded at 195 pounds; just slightly above the lower end of the range of normal for a man of his age and height (72/6 feet tall). So...either he was a body builder which makes BMI unreliable or he was right in the range he should have been. His weight at the time of his death was 258 pounds which shows that during his hospital admission he gained 63 pounds of water weight, mostly likely due to IV fluids and drugs given to brain injury patients known to cause water retention.
If you want to compare the BMI of a 72 year old man to an 18 year old boy, feel free, but you would be grossly unfair in doing so since the standards are very different for each of those age groups.

Quote:
Just agree with me that atkins dosen't acknowledge the role of calories in weight control.

I can't agree with that because he never said any such thing. He stressed over and over that those following the Atkins program should not pig out or gorge themselves on low carb food and states clearly in his book that while most people following his plan would not need to count calories, they do, in fact, matter. If those following the plan choose to ignore that, it's not the fault of the author.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 17:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
At 5 6 weighing 140 lbs with very little fat makes me unhlealthy?

Well, with anonymous sign-ups, it's hard to tell who's being honest with their stats.

You might want to update your profile, where it currently says 5-8, not 5-6.

Wa'il
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Well have you reached your goal doing what youre doing. Oh and I was not undereating I was eating 2,000 calories a day and actually preserved more muscle mass because I ate no carbs.
Hi satiev1:
I won't even touch Dr. Atkins issue, neither I want to discuss the health benefits of vegetables and fruits. If you think that 5% bodyfat is acceptable for a young male, may be you are right, but for a female, it will be a disaster.
Can I ask you to simply post your daily menu, I'm really curious. May be this will shed some light on what is your diet like? Seriously, to Dr.Ellis's credit, I've looked up his book on Amazon, and it has good rating.
I agree with his theory that we should seek fat loss, not just the weight loss. But it's the hardest to achieve, losing some muscles is inavitable while losing weight. So, if your menu makes sense to me, may be I'll think about the book.
Thanks,
Dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Sun, Jan-09-05 at 17:51.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 18:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here is a picture for Dr. Atkins in his last year or two. Why do you assume he has been fat? He has been over 70 years old when this picture was taken.

As far as I know Dr. Atkins has been over weight more than 3 decades ago. He tried his diet on himself, lost all the weight he wanted to lose and stayed fit for the rest of his life.

In his last days, during his coma they said that a technical medical problem caused his weight to balloon before he died. This could have happened to any body and has absolutely nothing to do with his diet. One nasty anti Atkins organization called "PCRM" has tried to use this incident to make people disbelieve in Atkins diet, but no body with a mind could have listened to them.

#37   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 19:16
Registered Member

Quote:
Well have you reached your goal doing what youre doing. Oh and I was not undereating I was eating 2,000 calories a day and actually preserved more muscle mass because I ate no carbs.
I've found this interview with Dr.Ellis on the web and here is one abstract
Question: Do you consume any carbohydrates at all in your current regimen?
Answer:
Quote:
I keep it as low as I can. I cannot tell you whether zero is really better than 60 grams. I know that most people will not be that strict with carbohydrates. I do think that it is better if you can do it. What people do not understand is that the minute you eat carbohydrates, it is converted into glucose and then fat. The main purpose of carbohydrates is to be converted into fat. The eating of carbohydrates induces a nutritional and hormonal profile that favors deposition of body fat. If you get your overall carb intake below 25% of calories you will begin to get positive results. You don't have to go ridiculously low such as 20-40 grams to receive benefits.
The entire interview can be read in
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler11.htm
This agrees with Atkins concept, that some need to restrict carbs to 20g, while others can manage a bit more. So, except for calories management, I don't see such a big difference. It's absolutely true that we want to "feed the muscles and starve the fat" in order to get lean, so makes sense to estimate your caloric intake based on one's lean body mass.

Last edited by dina1957 : Sun, Jan-09-05 at 19:27.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:04
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

OK, Time to jump in. I am a person who has reached their goal following Atkins. I have never paid attention to calories, only the carb count. And the few time I did seem to slow down losing, I would track my fat count. Making sure it was high enough. Counting calories is just to much of a pain to me. It took my 9 months to lose 60 pounds, and I have kept it off for almost a year and a half now. Following Atkins the whole time. I did not start going to the gym till after I reached goal.

So here is where I guess I agree with you. Calories do matter, Atkins never said they didn't. That is why he stresses eating till satified. There are many people on these boards who will tell you that they also have to watch there calorie intake alone with carbs to lose weight.

And because calories do matter, that is why I go to the gym now, so I can eat more and maintain. But let me tell you this, following Atkins, I can eat much more than I have been able to eat the past and lose weight!!! And for that I will be forever grateful to Dr. Atkins.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: low low carb
Stats: 142/146/148 Male 177
BF:?/?/22%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
I've found this interview with Dr.Ellis on the web and here is one abstract
Question: Do you consume any carbohydrates at all in your current regimen?
Answer:
The entire interview can be read in
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler11.htm
This agrees with Atkins concept, that some need to restrict carbs to 20g, while others can manage a bit more. So, except for calories management, I don't see such a big difference. It's absolutely true that we want to "feed the muscles and starve the fat" in order to get lean, so makes sense to estimate your caloric intake based on one's lean body mass.

For once Dina I actually agree with you. Look Satiev, Ellis has always tried to distance himself from Atkins publicly over this spurious calorie/ eat as much as you want issue because he wants to sell more of his books. It's also why all the other low carb Atkins imitators try to distance themselves from the basic Atkins low carb message. Atkins realized way back that if you restrict carbs, it is actually very difficult to overeat. If you don't restrict carbs you are almost certain to overeat. Which is probably why all the low calorie pundits are terrified of low carbing. It actually works, permanently. It's all about hunger. Carbs (IMHO any carb with a G.I. over 15 ) tend to make you unnaturally hungry. And if you dont eat any carbs you will have to eat all your meat raw to get the benefits that phyto-chemicals provide, or pop a whole lot of pills.
Ellis is a huckster, as are all the other also rans who preach low carb, but distance themselves from Atkins. Ellis is just a particularly unpleasant example.
But his book has plenty of good low carb biochemistry in it, so if you've already blown 60 bucks, don't be too upset. Just don't make the sad mistake of bagging the guy who said it all twenty years ago. And please don't trot out quotes from Atkins' '72 book which taken out of context seem to endorse gorging. Atkins, and before him and after him plenty of others, recognize that when you low carb and don't cheat (either inadvertently or deliberately - because IT was sooooooo tempting) it is just not appealing to gorge. That is the true Atkins message, low carb and 'all you can eat' tends to become ' what you need to eat for optimum health and /or steady weight loss.
Of course if you have a multimillion dollar publishing deal like say , Fergie, then pushing the same old low fat/cal line probably is actually worth the discomfort a lifetime of hunger will generate.
Actually the low calorie/fat mantra we have all been subject to has always seemed to me suspiciously like the 'no pain no gain' adage dressed up in dietary clothes. Even Ellis himself recognizes that hunger is an over time irresistible force. So it is truly pathetic that he goes on too preach calorie control as more important than carb control. To borrow another euphemism - When you look after the carbs, the calories will look after themselves.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 14:32

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:

Can you please give a few examples of what you do eat? I find it hard to believe you're eating no carbs....unless you are literally eating only meat.

Several days menu would be nice.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 12:00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Can you please give a few examples of what you do eat? I find it hard to believe you're eating no carbs....unless you are literally eating only meat.

Several days menu would be nice.
I've asked this already but I'm afraid Satiev1 is not coming back. Apparently, his agenda was simply marketing of Dr.Ellis's books and this is why he tried to bash Atkins at the same time. I also suspect he's confused with carbs and starches. I doubt he ate nothing but meat, so may be he thinks only fruits and starches are carbs, and vegetables are not. Some folks really think that there are glycemic and non-glycemic carbs, LOL.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 09:48

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996
Can you give a quote where Dr. Atkins actually said that calories do not matter or are you just repeating what you have heard? I suspect it is the latter since I don't think Dr. Atkins ever said that. What he said was that people can eat more calories and still lose weight on Atkins than on a low fat diet. This is caused both by the wasting of calories through the ejection from the body of incompletely burned ketones and also by the extra protein calories, which take more energy to prepare for use than does carbohydrate. In short, the laws of thermodynamics absolutely do apply but most dieticians don't understand them in terms of human nutrition.

Dr Atkins also said that protein and fat are more filling than carbohydrates so most people on his plan actually eat less calories.

Also, I have never seen a picture of Dr. Atkins in which I would describe him as a "fat guy." If you have any, feel free to post them along with the elusive "calories don't matter" quotes.

I am a newbie also, and may regret entering a debative zone just yet <LOL>. However, I have been researching low carb diets for a little while, and looked into the different plans before choosing one.

I agree with you. None of the plans I researched, including Atkins, suggested that you literally pig out on fatty foods, as well as the fatty foods being more filling and naturally provoking you to consume less calories. REASONABLE moderation of calorie/fat intake is recommended if one wants to lose weight.

Counting carbs and making sure the protein requirement is met is simply more important. Eating/cooking with high quality fats is good for building "good" HDL levels.

I am still in the first week of my plan, and I am not counting calories -- but I am mindful of what I am eating. I measure out my olive oil and butter, I don't smear my food with it. I am buying lean meat, etc.

My problem with Atkins is not the fat intake. I didn't choose this plan because I felt the 20 carb a day was a little harsh for what my body can handle considering my previously horrid eating habits.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 10:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I wouldn't expect a 71 year old man to have the same sort of body a 18 year old does. Sheesh, such high standards.

However, I agree that there are lots of us that really have to restrict calories. License to gorge? Good grief, to lose weight now I'm looking more for a license to starve. Or actually, some way to not be hungry and eat 1200 calories a day. Its a struggle.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 04:50

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
My mom went on atkins and lost 20 lbs but it's because she was losing weight.

huh???

Personally, I have a hard time getting enough calories while following Atkins.

Take a look in the exercise area and in the Success Stories to see people who've followed Atkins and are lean
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 04:57

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%