Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 12:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/239/145 Female 5,4
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Any ladies or gentlemen in the 60's or older?

Hello I am a gal 68 and doing Atkins second time around . I lost well the first time but now it seems to go much slower. I would like to hear from other people in my age range if everyone has a hard time. Is it the age? I am also on BP meds. that might slow me down.
My menu today: 2 strips of bacon and 1 egg, for breakfast
lettuce,hardboiled egg, tuna,mayo for lunch
meat patty and broccoli for dinner
and water,water,water.
Hugs,Traveller
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 10:12

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 194/178/60 Female 5'5"
BF:29.6% go to proper
Progress:
Default i'm 69+ does that count??

i am a new diabetic feeling my way around, went to a nutritionist yesterday and she put me on the south beach diet...said atkins was good too, but too much fat...

just read the menus for the 1st week..may have to float a loan at the grocery store...i'm going shopping as soon as i can get off my butt. so glad someone told me about this forum...ttyl
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 11:26

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

hi, i am 65 and have been low carbing since jan 2000 with many ups and downs, i am on BP and thyroid meds. i try to get some exercise in at least 5 days a week.
i do think age and medication does have an impact on your rate of weight loss as well as many years of yo-yo dieting.
over the last 5yrs i have followed CALP, atkins and then protein power for the last 3yrs. i have fallen off the proverbial wagon at times and regained, however the one thing i do know is how much better and healthier i feel when i stick with low carbing and add some exercise. i have lost 30lbs since last august and since jan 1 i am on a 35week personal challenge to lose 1.5 pounds a week. my motivation for this besides my health is my daughter is getting married on labour day in nova scotia (never been to the east coast) and i will be taking a trip through nova scotia,p.e.i. and new brunswick after the wedding which will mean lots of walking so i want to be in shape to handle all the sightseeing
traveller, you are right, we need lots and lots of water, i usually manage 3-4 litres a day and my goal is 5.
carrottop2-i know what you are saying about the grocery bill but i think that once you get set up with the basics of lc and are no longer buying many of the packaged or what we now call junk type foods you should find lc no more expensive than before. take advantage of whatever food you can buy on sale especially meat and buy in bulk if you can. i don't know if you have other family members to feed as well but often you can incorporate lc food into their diets as well which would help to cut back on the grocery bill. i am a single pensioner on limited income so i understand what you are saying about cost but i want to live long enough to get back all that pension i paid into for over 30 yrs

nice to meet you both
jes
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 12:36

Plan: ADKINS
Stats: 285/175/135 Female 60 IN
BF:
Progress:

so good to hear from all ...i too am on limited budget and thank goodness i love eggs, tuna, chicken, and salmon..i just posted in other forum about my magic bullet blender..these are really a life saver for me., i throw a can of tuna, 2tbs mayo,dash on onion powder, tsp of relish and mix it and have my lunch ot supper ready to go on a bed of lettce,,anyone who lives alone and wants to have something to fix in hurry these are really handy..they have three different size containers and i use them all..you can store ready made egg, chicken, tuna, ham and canned salmon salad in them and grab when you want..walgreens here has them for half trhe price of tv add...so you might want to check them,,i have lost 110 lbs as of yesterday and know i couldnt have done it without it..still have another 40 lbs to go and yes, it is very very slow..think the more you lose the slower it gets..but we can do it! i may be getting older, more forgetful, and slower everydat, but by god, i feel better then in have in years, now if the body would just adjust to all my want to do's id be fine..good luck to us all ..keep posting, we all need help
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 13:25

Progress:
Default Cost Of Going On A Special Diet...

YES, YOU'RE RIGHT, ITS THE START UP THATS EXPENSIVE...I GUESS THIS DIET IS GOING TO WORK, I'M DOWN 2LBS SINCE YESTERDAY!! THATS A TOTAL of 18 since jan.20th...sorry about the caps. i am having a problem fitting all the meals in. cannot eat 1st thing in the morning..so breakfast was at 10:30 this am. had that, then my snack and its 2:30 and i'd better have lunch!!! before its time for supper. i'll just have to make an effort to eat earlier. its nice to have people who are dieting with me to talk to...ttyl...that means after lunch...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 22:03

Progress:
Default sad to say goodbye.

i found a south beach forum...tg for google. you people were /arevery nice but the diets are different...i'm doing good, my bs is under 100 and i have lost 19lbs in less than a month...stick to your diets!!! ni e meeting you!!!bye!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 16:58

Plan: m.d.diet
Stats: 263/222/160 Female 5ft 4and a half
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I am glad to have some diet friends in their 60's and 70's!!!
Tell me those of you that have tried Atkins and the South beach
diet ----which works the best for you??? I don't know what to do . My diabetic condition makes me do Atkins more but I'm
not loosing and feel discuraged . I have to do something more than I am as I am gaining. Thanks for being here .
Bergetta
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-05, 09:20

Progress:
Default i like the south beach diet...

hi, my dr. doesn't recomend the atkins diet. too much meat so i tried the south beach. i've lost 38 lbs. since the end of january...the only thing i found was, you have to watch the amount of food. sb says to eat till you're not hungry but i stopped losing too. find out how much a serving really is and stick to it. you'll start losing again...good luck!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 11:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 182/176/140 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 14%

hi im 58 years young i have just started a lc diet this is my 3rd day i dont realy know if im getting enough carbs im eating

bacon and egg in the morning

chic drumsticks in the afternoon

and i have chlii beef and stuffed tomato with pesto and 2 veg
in the evening

could anyone please tell me if this is ok this is just todays menu i am eating different things each day of course but normally with the same carbs
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 01:21

Stats: 173/156/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 52%

HI, I am 67 yold and I am happy to have found people in my range of age (sorry, my english is not perfect). for those who take medication, yes it can affect your weight loss. I was on medication for pain (Elavil) and it was so difficult. Then, I stop taking it and suddenly it was quite easy to loose again. So, taking medication as to be absolutely necessary. I am on Atkins and becoming quite good at creating new ways of eating and trying new recipes. The book by Dana Carpender "500 low-carb recipes" has helped me a lot. Now, all my recipes books are low-carb since that there is more and more of them on the market. Thank God for that.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-05, 04:09

BF:

oops traveller has abandoned us lol never mind might look up her site looks like shes losing lots
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 21:12

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hi all! I'm also an oldster - 68 and counting - and doing Atkins for the ... hhmmmm - 3rd time? Lost weight each time but got off track during maintenance. Now, I've about 15 lbs to lose and I'm in no hurry - I just don't want to gain while I'm working on it!

Does anyone know if there's someplace on-site where we can input a recipe and have it spit out the net carbs per serving? I just made a loaf of bread (yeah - I know :-( ) The recipe includes a cup of Atkins baking mix plus stone ground whole wheat flour and 9-grain cereal. I can't believe it's ALL bad but I'd really like to learn the net carbs per slice.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 09:16

BF:

glendarc hi

i just looked up how much it would be for a slice of low carb atkins bread and it says it has 8 grams carbs thats the one you can buy so mabe its the same as a slice of homemade
let me know love if you find out more

bye may
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 09:54

Stats: 210/200/160 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hello everyone,

I'll be 60 in December and have found that the older I get the harder it is to lose weight. I have difficulty exercising which doesn't help the situation.

Jes, I too have a wedding coming up in March of 2006 and will need of mother of the groom dress. I've gone looking at what's available in my size and I was not happy. I want desperately to lose at least 30 pounds before the wedding.

Traveller, the first time I was on Atkins' I lost 50 pounds. Kept it off for a while and then let other influence me on my choice of diet and went off the plan. Gained all of my weight back and have been trying unsuccessfully to lost the weight this time. I lose about 10 pounds and then plateau and don't budge for months, get frustrated and quit. I need !
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi... I am 67 and on meds for heart, bp, thyroid, blood thinners, all of which slows the loss. In addition to all that, I have bad knees, which makes exercise/walking difficult. Am trying to stave off replacement surgery on both of them by losing 50 lbs. I do walk some on my treadmill at a "slow" pace which helps some. Am hoping that after I lose some more, that will prove easier.

Shirea....you don't need carbs. However, if you are eating any berries or veggies, e.g., cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, celery, lettuces.....you will be getting the good carbs which will NOT make you gain weight.

Bad carbs (sugar, potatos, starchy veggies, grains..even whole grains)...the "white" stuff....turn into sugar as soon as you eat them....we really don't need sugar for anything except energy, and since our bodies will use "our" fat for energy if it can't get sugar.....hey...that's the goal, right?
Closed Thread