Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 22:39

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I really like the minicarb bake mixes, but the end product just NEVER looks like the picture on the box, LoL. I didn't make the bisquits but I used the bake mix to make a zucchini cake. It was solid and alittle greasy, no spring at alll! I find it best to keep the minicarb for things like dredging steaks or fish to shallow fry. Also use it to dust my counter top when I make LC pizza crusts. Also made a decent pie crust too btw.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 18:34

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreep
I find it best to keep the minicarb for things like dredging steaks or fish to shallow fry. Also use it to dust my counter top when I make LC pizza crusts.

The best use I've found for the MiniCarb mix is to line my waste basket!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 18:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

I made cheri's blueberry scones again tonight--and they are AWESOME.

I put extra blueberries in--more like 3/4 of a cup (actually, 1.5 cups, bcs I made a double batch)...yum yum yummy!

I always use unsalted butter in recipes.

Gabrielle, those pancakes look great.

Yep this CQ stuff is O-K.

Lucy
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 21:56
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Hiya Gang I've been MIA. I tried Lucy's coffee cake and I give it a thumbs up. I also tried the Brownies recipe on the Carbquick box. I have to say the brownies did not impress me that much. I had one that night and was tempted to trash them. The following day they tasted much better but the icing was a bit to bitter. It might be the bakers chocolate that I used but I'm not sure.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 11:40

Stats: 340/285/145 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

I wish I had read this thread 30 minutes ago! I bought a 3 pound box of Carbquik from Netrition.com based on all of the good things I had read about it. I thought I would offer it on my web stite as well.

As soon as I got it, I made the buscuits adding a little cheddar cheese. They were HORRIBLE. I had to throw them all away. (Afraid to give them to the dog because of the fiber factor) Now, I'm a southern girl and learned how to make biscuits at my moma's knee, so I guess my standards and expectations were rather high. (We NEVER had biscuick in the house, just White Lily flour, Crisco and baking powder)

I didn't feel like eggs for bacon this morning, so I decided to pull out the Carbquik and give the pancakes a try. I made a half batch and used Carb Countdown milk. I also added some maltitol and cinnamon to the batter. They had that darned funny smell - like protein powder - but I put some ABC bacon and the smell of that took care of it.

They were not so great. They puffed up beautifully, but I had such a hard time turning them over. They were so soft and "wet" inside they just crumpled up. I ate 3 tiny ones with Log Cabin SF and the bacon and they weren't good enough to try again.

THEN I thought I would google and see what others had to say about the pancakes and I found this topic! I WILL try it again using one of the recipes here.

THANKS for the photo. They looked wonderful. Nothing like mine.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 12:57

BF:

Wow, your first post and you chose this thread. I'm honored!

No, CQ biscuits are NOT real biscuits. I've used regular Bisquick either -- always the real ingredients. I made incredible biscuits.

As someone said earlier, LC items cannot be compared to the "real" thing. They will always lose. If, on the other hand, you look at it as a similar, yet different, food, it might be better.

One thing I've learned from what everyone has written is to use UNsalted butter. I also think I want to lessen the fat in the recipes I've tried. Like the cheddar biscuits. Instead of 1/4 heavy cream and 1/4 cup water, next time I'm going to try all water.

Like anything else, you'll have to tweak your recipes to find what suits you best. Keep trying!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to make the coffee cake.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 15:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:

I tried the golden cake CQ recipe and was not thrilled. It was a little dry and not very sweet. Reminded me strangely enough of a cornbread. I will add it to an entree as a side dish more likely then as a desert.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 09:19

BF:

I made the sour cream coffee cake this morning and it was great! DH liked it, and said it was better than the regular coffee cake I made a couple months back. He said to make it again. I know I used a recipe I found on the board here, but couldn't find the link. So, here's the recipe I used:

Sour Cream CQ Coffee Cake 9 servings

Topping:
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup splenda
2 tablespoons butter

2 Tbsp CarbQuick

Cake:
4 oz cream cheese
1 stick unsalted butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup splenda
2 cups carbquik
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend topping ingredients just until crumbly. Set aside.

Nuke cream cheese and butter to soften. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well. Add splenda, carbquik and baking powder and stir. There may be a few small lumps. Pour batter into 9x9 pan. Sprinkle topping over and bake for 45 minutes.

294 calories/ 27g fat/ 12g fiber/ 7 net carbs (19)

NOTE: Next time I think I'm going to drop and the swirl in some SF jam before putting on the topping. I think it will be a nice addition.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 11:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:

Made the CarbQuick chocolate chunk scones last night - they were awesome. Already ate 2

Quick and easy too - don't remember who to credit for the recipe, but thank you.

Chocolate Chunk Scones

2 cups CarbQuick
1/4 cup firm butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
10 drops Sweetzfr** (or any granular or liquid substitute equal to a heaping 1/3 cup sugar)
1.5 Mini-carb Dark Chocolate w/almonds bars, hammered into chunks (or substitute your favorite SF chocolate)
1 Tbs heavy cream

Cut butter into CarbQuick.

In separate bowl, mix egg, 1/2 cup heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar substitute.

Add to dry mixture, and mix until well blended.

Fold in chocolate.

Form into 8 balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Push down to flatten slightly and neaten edges. Brush remaining 1 Tbs heavy cream on tops.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

Serves: 8
Calories: 244
Fat: 23 (85%)
Carbs: 19 (7%)
Fiber: 14.5
Net carbs: 4.5
Protein: 7 (11%)
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 12:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I thought the pancake recipe on the CQ box was terrible. I just make CQ pancakes and waffles with CQ, eggs and milk or water, maybe a touch of oil.

I'm actually really happy with CQ. I made cakes too. I used eggs, oil, and SF almond syrup and they came out about like a sponge cake, sort of.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 12:47
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Quick and easy too - don't remember who to credit for the recipe, but thank you.

Glad you liked them.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 13:26

BF:

Beans, what do you think of asking the admins to put a sticky in one of the recipe forums (kitchen help?) with links to all the CarbQuick recipes? We could include info on ordering it, and a few hints (like to use unsalted butter for best results). Then, whenever we notice someone has posted a recipe using it (we could do a periodic search), we could add that to the sticky. Sort of like what was done for the High-Fat Honeys a while back.

Thoughts? Anyone else?
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/South Beach combo
Stats: 138/124!/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Chicken And Dumplings!

I just got my Carbquik. The first thing I tried was chicken and dumplings. I found this recipe on 30 Minute Meals - you know - Rachel Ray, from Food Network. I substituted a turnip for the potato, only put in part of a carrot (for color - makes it seem more like the real thing), Carbquik when it calls for flour, Carbquik dumpling recipe (inside box) instead of Jiffy mix and 1/2 cup water, etc. (but I did put in the parsley), and a little xanthum gum (a tsp. or 2) for thickening. Also substituted some diced frozen Italian style green beans for the peas and cooked them a little before I put them in. Oh my goodness!!! So delicious and filling! It's great as leftovers too By my calculations, it's about 50 carbs for the whole recipe, so about 12.5 carbs per serving.

Here's the recipe for those who want it (courtesy of Rachel Ray). This is the original, so don't forget to make the adjustments!:

1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders
1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
2 tablespoons butter
1 russet potato, peeled and diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced or thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 rib celery, diced
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/3 palm full
2 tablespoons flour, a handful
1 quart chicken broth or stock, canned or paper container, preferred brand Kitchen Basics
1 small box biscuit mix(preferred brand Jiffy Mix)
1/2 cup warm water
Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 cup frozen green peas

Dice tenders into bite size pieces and set aside. Wash hands.
Place a large pot on stove over medium high heat. Add oil, butter, vegetables and bay leaf and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season mixture with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Add flour to the pan and cook 2 minutes. Stir broth or stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken to the broth and stir.

Place biscuit mix in a bowl. Combine with 1/2 cup warm water and parsley. Drop tablespoonfuls of prepared mix into the pot, spacing dumplings evenly. Cover pot tightly and reduce heat to medium low. Steam dumplings 8 to 10 minutes. Remove cover and stir chicken and dumplings to thicken sauce a bit. Stir peas into the pan, remove chicken and dumplings from heat and serve in shallow bowls.

Yum! Yum!
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 19:58
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

That sounds really good wendie. I'll have to give it a shot one day soon.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 11:04

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

i too received my box of Carquik this week-the 3-lb box. I am going to send a box to my niece who has been on atkins about 2 yrs and lost over 100 lbs. she looks great!! i tried lst the red lobster biscuits. i made sure to take out the lumps before mixing (should do this every time) i ate one hot. and it was great. i put the rest in the frig. and tried to eat one--it stinks and tasted awful. so i don't know what to do with the rest of them. the 2nd thing i made were french toast crepes..they were awsome. i had with butter, atkins syrup. wonderful i put the remainder in the frig wapped around an italian sausage and had one of them for breakf. this am at work with a smig of butter and atkins syrup!! i love them. i didnt use but a couple tbls of carquik, 2 eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, and smig of melted butter- and cook on griddle. they are crepes so they are somewhat runny but fluffy and delish. it's a keeper!! this big box will last forever cause i don't plan on gaining wt from eating sweets/treats again (the calories) although only substituting ole flour with carquik. I will use it for making a sweet dish (on the rarest of occasions) and wrapping small portions in freezer for a legal sweets craving only!! Enjoy your recipes. and thanks for sharing!!