Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 15:54

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardGmys
It is definitely the best thing I have seen yet, but an exact replacement for bisquik it aint.

That's it in a nutshell. LC products are similar to regular products, but because of the differing ingredients, they will never be the same. Similar, but not the same.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 16:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
That's it in a nutshell. LC products are similar to regular products, but because of the differing ingredients, they will never be the same. Similar, but not the same.

I agree, but instead of trying to find a product that is exactly like _____ (fill in the blank with your favorite high carb food), how about looking at it as experimenting with new foods that may be equally good, but in a different way? For example, mashed cauliflower will never be exactly like mashed potatoes and Caulifried rice is never going to be Uncle Ben's (after all, this is low carb cooking, not alchemy ), but they are both very good in their own right. Same thing goes for things like CarbQuik; if I stop comparing it to Bisquick or Jiffy Mix and start enjoying it based on its own merits, it changes my whole perspective.

On a side note, a lot of people must be trying and/or liking the CarbQuik because Netrition is sold out of the 3 lb. boxes until the 27th.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 22:35
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Lisa thats one of the things I noticed about CQ too it seems to keep me full. I can't remember the last time I had the real BQ so maybe thats why I like it so much. No great memories to foggy things up.

Gabrielle
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 23:55
Atkins on the Beach!

Plan: high fiber/low glycemic
Stats: 245/224/150 Female 5'3"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 22%
Default I Love Carbquik!!!

I made Lucy's coffeecake recipe this week and it's awesome. Also made some scones that I adapted from a HC recipe - basically just subbed carbquik for the flour. They turned out great, too. I did the first batch w/ orange peel and dried cranberries. But the blueberries are lower in carbs. I posted this in the baked goods section - but thot I'd put it in here, too.

Blueberry Scones

1 cup carbquik
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 packets splenda (or more if you like them sweeter)~1/4 cup
2 tablespoons cold butter cut up into small chunks
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest/peel
1/2 cup blueberries
1 large egg, beaten

Preaheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine carbquik, baking powder and splenda. Cut in butter until is crumbly. Add lemon zest and blueberries and mix together. Add egg and stir lightly with a fork just until all is combined. If mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon or so of cream or water. Drop into 4 equal portions onto baking pan. Do not flatten. Sprinkle with a little more splenda if you want and bake for 20 minutes. Check halfway through and lower heat if they are browning too quickly.

Makes 4 servings, recipe doubles easily
Per serving:
155 calories/ 12g fat/ 13g fiber/ 4 net carbs (17)
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 08:38

BF:

Cheri, thanks for the recipe. I might try some scones tomorrow morning for breakfast. Do you think you could post the recipe for Lucy's coffeecake? Or is it in this thread and I missed it?

Gabrielle, I'm with you on the CQ keeping me full. I can usually eat (ok, well, "scarf" might be more descriptive) 4 or 6 waffles made the high-carb way. When I tried the CQ waffles, 2 was about all I could handle, and they stayed with me until early afternoon!

And Lisa, you've said it perfectly. You can't compare "regular" products to low-carb products. Each is good on its own merits.

It's like coffee. Usually, I drink my coffee black. Have for years. On the other hand, I also drink it with heavy cream and Splenda. But I don't consider that coffee. It's more like a coffee beverage. Both are good, but for different reasons.

Netrition is out of the 3-pound boxes? Yikes! Glad I ordered 2 boxes when I did!
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 12:31
Atkins on the Beach!

Here's the post from Lucy's journal for the coffee cake: I omitted 2 eggs and used 1/2 cup sour cream and it worked great. Also - used coarser ground almonds for the topping instead of almond flour - made it more crumbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifive
Here it is...from Linda's LC Menus and Recipes site...which is a terrific site!

I put my changes in red

ROBIN'S COFFEE CAKE
1/2 cup butter, softened slightly
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup granular Splenda or 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid Splenda
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 eggs, room temperature
2 cups almond flour, 6.5 ounces I used 2 cups Carbquik
1 teaspoon baking powder

Cream butter, cream cheese, Splenda and extracts. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix almond flour carbqick and baking powder. Add to egg mixture gradually. Mix topping ingredients until crumbly; fold about half of topping mixture into batter, then put batter into greased 9" round cake pan. Spread rest of topping over surface of cake batter. Bake at 350º 45-50 minutes, or until top is nicely browned and cake is firm to the touch.

Crumb Topping:I doubled this recipe, and folded half into the batter, as above--doubled amounts in red
1/2 cup almond flour, 2 ounces 1 cup
1/4 cup granular Splenda or 1/2 teaspoon liquid Splenda 1/2 cup granular
1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 tsps
3 tablespoons butter, softened just until pliable 6 tbs

Makes 12 servings

Original recipe--With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 286 Calories; 26g Fat; 8g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 276 Calories; 26g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

Doubled-topping (cinnamon-filled) coffee cake:

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 314 Calories; 29g Fat; 8g Protein; 8.3g Carbohydrate; 3.3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 302 Calories; 29g Fat; 8g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

Linda says: "This is a very nice crumb cake. I had a little trouble with my butter getting too soft in the Houston heat and had to stick it in the freezer a few minutes to firm it up enough to be able to cream it and make the topping. I also had to freeze the topping so that it would be firm enough to crumble. Again, it might have been the heat. A couple things I might do differently next time would be to omit the almond extract, use double the vanilla and add a little cinnamon to the cake batter. Mine only took 45 minutes to bake, so I've adjusted the baking time from the original 50-55 minutes."

____

Lucy says: In future, I think I will consider going half-and-half with the almond flour and carbquik in the batter; maybe use a little more butter in the topping/filling stuff; consider mixing chopped pecans in the topping/filling...I am sure Eddie would have some good ideas...
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 16:29

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench

I understand all of that. I guess I just saw so many comparisons of CQ is to Bisquik what Dreamfields is to regular pasta. IMO, Dreamfields is the same as regular pasta.

All in all, CQ is really good. It also gave me that super full feeling, so in the future, I will be careful to eat really small portions of anything I make with it that is CQ dense.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 16:31

BF:
Default anyone tried the bagels?

I was wondering if anyone tried the bagel recipe on the carbalose site. I don't know what "potato water" is, but i am assuming it is water that potatoes were cooked in?
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 17:27
Atkins on the Beach!

Have any of you noticed that CQ seems to be a bit salty? I'm noticing in sweeter items (ie. scones) that they turn out better if I use unsalted butter and don't add anymore salt.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

EdwardGmys, I personally found that Dreamsfield pasta carb claims are not accurate.

I am a Type 1 diabetic (which means I don't create a drop of insulin) and have tried the Dreamsfields and the Carbquik (but not at the same time), testing my blood sugar levels 2, 4, 6 and later hours after consuming both products (as I was so darned impressed with the taste of both, they seemed too good to be true) - I found my blood sugar levels rose significantly after 4+ hours eating the Dreamsfields but not at all with the Carbquik.

If you look closely at the Dreamfields website they mention they came up with the carb count by measuring the blood sugar rise up to 2 hours in subjects consuming the product. Nothing, nada, after the 2 hours.

I do believe the carb content is less than regular pasta, but certainly not the 5 grams per serving.

I am totally agreeable with the Carbquik carb claims, and use the product daily.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 20:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph z
EdwardGmys, I personally found that Dreamsfield pasta carb claims are not accurate.

I am a Type 1 diabetic (which means I don't create a drop of insulin) and have tried the Dreamsfields and the Carbquik (but not at the same time), testing my blood sugar levels 2, 4, 6 and later hours after consuming both products (as I was so darned impressed with the taste of both, they seemed too good to be true) - I found my blood sugar levels rose significantly after 4+ hours eating the Dreamsfields but not at all with the Carbquik.

I have read a lot of other diabetics' experience with Dreamfields and it does seem to be a YMMV product. Some have measured their blood sugars just as you have and had no rise and some have had the same experience you have. I also have read that the pasta does not reheat well in that it seems to lose it's effect and will cause a BS rise in everyone if eaten reheated.

I have been off and on low carb since 1997. I have tried Dreamfields and it has never knocked me out of ketosis. So, I guess YMMV is applicable.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 08:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriYM
Have any of you noticed that CQ seems to be a bit salty? I'm noticing in sweeter items (ie. scones) that they turn out better if I use unsalted butter and don't add anymore salt.

That's what everyone seems to be saying. When I did the waffles, I added about a tablespoon of Splenda also. When I do the biscuits, I'll add the Splenda as well. It might offset the saltiness.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 12:13
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

You know I never noticed any saltiness and I am on my second box. I use only unsalted butter though so that could be the reason for it.

Lisa I whipped up a couple pancakes yesterday for breakfast and I snapped a quick picture. I'm afraid it isn't a very good one but I think it shows they aren't all that thin. In fact mine were a bit thicker then I like so I added water to my recipe. I originally didn't use any. So anyway as I was making them it occurred to met hat people could be stirring them to much. You really only want to stir until all the ingredients are mingled and wet. You might see lumps but that's ok. In other words if it looks completely smooth you probably mixed more then you need to. Anyway here's a pic.

Last edited by GabrielleG : Sun, Jan-23-05 at 15:42.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 14:06

BF:

Mmmmmmmmm! Those look wonderful!!!!!!!!! Next weekend, for sure!
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 18:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Okay....tried a couple more things this weekend.
I made a sour cream blueberry coffee cake for my SIL's (also a low carber) birthday party last night and it turned out very good. Unfortunately, everybody but me and DH went for the frosted brownies that my other SIL made instead, so we have several pieces left (hey...more for us, right? )
I also tried the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies from the lowcarbfriends site and they were okay. Although the taste was good (DH likes them and he was the one I was making them for), the texture is a little too dry and crumbly for my taste so I need to play with this and tweak it some more to get the denser texture that I'm looking for.