Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:55

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Yes, the big peachy things are called rutabagas I think. It's just they are also called turnips sometimes, in scotland maybe? Anyway, no they don't taste the same at all.. They are hard work to chop and take ages to cook, in my experience. I was a student in Ireland, and they were a cheap staple..mashed with lots of pepper and butter. I like the taste. I shall investigate the carb count. I am interested in the purple turnip recipes.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I used turnips in homemade corned beef hash. Peeled, boiled and diced the turnips just as if they were potatoes. The flavor of the corned beef is so strong that I couldn't tell the turnips weren't potatoes. I also reduced the onion a bit. It was a really nice, if a bit rich, Sunday brunch.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 14:04

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default ooooohhhhh corned beef hash!

Oh my...... I know that my dh will thank you for this one! I have refused him corned beef hash because of the potatoes. I think I will surprise him with this. He loves turnips, but the way. THANKS!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 17:45
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Smile Love those rutabugas!

I'm from the South and we just love rutabaga....good source of fiber.....They're hard to peel and cut but worth it to me.....I boil them down low in a pot with a small pork roast.....lots of pepper and a little sweet and low......Wow...I've got to go get some now!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 10:54
Registered Member

Stats: 185/155/120
BF:????
Progress: 46%

Hi all

I also love my turnips cut jullien like small french fries and fried in butter until they are just transparent but not mushy. I never thought to add green onions but I guess you could add anything maybe even make it into a stirfry! Thanx for getting my imagination rollin, and it really does inhance the flavour when you fry them! My kids don't hate them quite as much fried as mashed. Thanx, Nic
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 05:26
Registered Member

Plan: Please advise fast w.loss
Stats: 297/280/16 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyr
By turnips do you mean the small purple and white things, or do you mean the enormous pale peachy coloured rocks that we call swede in Britain? I have been avoiding them both as too starchy.

I feel ready for a bit of adventure in vegetable land, so was v. interested in this thread.

Yes I am sure you are talking about the right veg- small purple and white, so we can add cream, butter and mash and then fry?

Or is it best to cut them into chips and then boil then fry?
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 06:25

Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Am I the only one that eats turnips raw with salt sprinkled on them? They are much better that way than cooked, in my opinion.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 10:01
Registered Member

Stats: 231.4/231.4/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hundred
Am I the only one that eats turnips raw with salt sprinkled on them? They are much better that way than cooked, in my opinion.

No you are not! This is how my family eats them! I haven't had any for awhile and have been thinking about buying some more. I had NO idea you could use turnips in so many ways!
Great thread!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 20:27

Plan: general LC
Stats: 202/144/135 Female 62 inches
BF:grr, no i FF
Progress: 87%

i like to make mashed turnips just like i made mashed potatoes, but find that turnips are more watery so i squeeze out some of the excess fluid before adding my butter and such. typically i use butter, sour cream, parm cheese and bacon crumbles. mmm.

i tried deep frying turnip fries but didn't get good results. they got way too brown before they got anything resembling crispy.

i like to make rutabaga/swede the same as the mashed turnips, and find that swede tastes more potato-ish than turnips and is less watery. i also cube them up and add them to my stew meat when i make beef stew. my friend's 3rd grade son actually asked for the recipe when he tried it.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 14:22
Registered Member

Stats: 231.4/231.4/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crease
i also cube them up and add them to my stew meat when i make beef stew. my friend's 3rd grade son actually asked for the recipe when he tried it.

OMG! I LOOOOOOVE to make stews and soups! I was thinking about what all I could add to it and this would be great!
Thanks!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 16:41

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!

I just bought some today. I haven't had any in a while, and have been wanting to find more subs to comfort foods this time of year ( it has actually been pretty cool here in Se Texas) without giving into temptation. I am going to do some "home fries" with them tomorrow to go with our steak!
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 18:02

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Turnip chunks under stew meat or a pot roast in the crock pot is a favourite "go to" winter supper, I also like to cut them like big french fries/chips, daub them with butter, and oven roast them, flip them after a half-hour or so and daub more butter - my version of fries as a side. Never thought of using them in corned beef hash - I've been using chopped cauliflower and onions. If you've got corned beef hash, who needs toast to go under poached eggs?!!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 03:36
Registered Member

Plan: Please advise fast w.loss
Stats: 297/280/16 Male 6
BF:

I cooked a joint of pork last night and then roasted some in the pork fat, absolutely wonderful, highly recommended
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 04:34

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

You can also make turnip pancakes, gratin dauphinois and turnip and cinammon soup.