Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 15:19

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 198/136/127 Female 174cm
BF:42%/19%/10%
Progress: 87%

I must admit, I have been stalling lately. But the reason for that is my inability to stick to this wol atm. Having said that though, I am still having no more than 100grams a day, probably on average 50 grams a day. I found i lost best when i was about 20grams, milk stayed the same too.

Feeling really awful today as I had about 200grams yesterday. I feel like I have a monster hangover crossed with the flu.

My goal is to get to 154 by my birthday but seeing that is only 16days away I am doubtful i will make it. Going to bust my butt trying though

It is really good to see these threads coming back to life. The other ones are good but it is better to have a breastfeeding one

Have a good day everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-05, 07:44

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 164/119/120 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 102%

count me in! i am bfing since 3,5 months, no diet, lost some weight. now i start a healthy, low carb diet! and excercise...(walking-jogging-running)
hope it goes well!
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 12:19

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Another newbie....DD is 7 months....

Are you BF'ing mother's doing induction?? I am on the fence about how low to go....

Thanks!
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-05, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default o/t

eeeheee I love when my little guy is nursing and raises his eyebrows... soo cute!
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 15:06

BF:

I am having 1 serving of nuts and 1 serving of berries ....and in moderate ketosis still....so....I don't know....so far so good....I am drinking 2 cups of mothers milk tea to keep my supply up.....

I am tracking fitday today so I can see exactly how many calories/carbs/fat I am eating.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 16:10

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 198/136/127 Female 174cm
BF:42%/19%/10%

Hello Fellow Breastfeeding LC'ers

How is everyone going with this WOL. Since my last post I am back on track. Have been Cheat Free for the past 29days and am now down to 157lbs from 163lbs at my last post. Guess my stall is over I am back to having about 20-30grams of carbs a day too.

Induction... I was told that u couldnt do induction because i am breastfeeding but to be quite honest what I did basically was induction even though i said it wasnt. But for the first 2 weeks i guess I was having about 100-80grams a day to see what affect it had on my milk. Nothing happened so i just jumped in the deep end and went down to 15-20grams a day. Still nothing happened to my milk and 5 months later it is still going well Wow a whole 5 months on Atkins i hadnt realised that. In that time I have lost 41lbs too!! U know when i first looked around for a diet or new WOL that would work I never imagined I would find one, especially find one that would be so successful too!!! So for all of u out there who are at the start of their new WOL. keep it up. It really works!!! Back in 2001 I was 242 lbs and my weight yoyo'd until just after i had, had my 3rd baby mid this year.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 10:25

BF:

DH has been doing a lot of research about ketones while nursing....and basically found that our bodies prefer to be running on ketones than glucose.....and then he asked me what do you think the eskimos do? They're traditional diet is fat and protein with no carbs.....and they still nurse they're babies......they are only getting fat and unhealthy now that they are adopting a more western diet.....

I was a bit bummed that I hadn't dropped anything in almost a week.....despite being in moderate ketosis eating about 60 grams of carb per day......but then I re-did my measurements!!!

2 inches off my chest (in 10 days)
3 inches off my waist (I did this measurement 4 times!! I still don't believe it!!)
and 1 inch off my hips!
And this is while pms'ing too and feeling bloated!

woohoo!!!
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 13:39

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 205/140/130 Female 5'5.5"
BF:

I have read through the messages regarding LCing and breastfeeding. I am a little confused as to how to approach the LC diet. I did it before I was pregnant and lost 40 lbs. I need to lose this weight as I feel very uncomfortable. I have only lost about 12-15 lbs since delivery...October 27, 2005. I have about 25-30 more to go to be a pre-pregnancy weight. This is the only diet that I have seen results. I don't want to affect my breastmilk by reducing too much and I am not willing to give up breastfeeding just to lose weight.

Also I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with water retention after delivery and while breastfeeding. I am having problems with swelling.

-Deborah
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 17:32

Plan: SBD
Stats: 159/138.5/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 85%

hi,

I think I posted earlier in this thread when I was nursing my son. I now have a 3 week old daughter. (A 4 year old too) I am able to drop weight easily on Atkins, but if I go off even a little, weight flies back on. I finf the LC WOL hard, but nothing else works for me. She's so little DS was over a year w hen I LC'd last time. Is it safe with a VERY little one?
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-06, 00:28
Registered Member

Plan: personal low carb
Stats: 224/186/150 Female 65 inches
BF:28%/28%/23%
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Is it safe with a VERY little one?

The advice I was given way back when I asked this question--back in '04--was to not worry so much about being very LC while you're nursing. Good milk is more important than losing weight fast anyway, of course. I have successfully kept it around 50 - 100 g carb a day while nursing, but I'm paranoid about going too low while my littlest is exclusively nursing.

Just be sure you get your carbs from the healthiest sources you can. Fresh, nonstarchy veggies never hurt a soul.

As for myself--when I first started posting here I had two daughters and was nursing them both. I have since added another daughter and weaned the first. So I'm nursing my 2-year-old and my 2-month old, but the almost-four-year-old is now on her own.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 02:05

Plan: Stillman & Atkins
Stats: 211/173/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

Dear all you mommies.

My son is just over 3 months old and I have been LCing since he was about 2 weeks old. It has not affected my milk supply and my carbs are as low as 15 per/day. I have lost quite a bit of weight. But here is the BIG question....!!! Is there any scientific evidence to prove that Lcing while nursing has consequences on the baby other than a reduced milk supply in some mommies?
Thanks a million!
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 08:07

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 205/140/130 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Question Question for Tim's Mum

Since starting LC 2 weeks postpartum, how much weight have you lost? I too am nursing a lil' one (almost 10 weeks old) and I am keeping my carbs under 20. The only time I tell a difference is if I don't eat enough calories, not carbs.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 08:46

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 176/148/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

How exciting to have so many mamas BFing their new little one. It can be a challenge at times, but so worth it for both mama and babe.

I don't think that there is much research on the other 'effects' of LCing on BFing such as ketosis. One thing that I was concerned about was the releasing on toxins stored in fat cells when you lose weight. Since much of the toxins you hold in your body are in you fat cells, you release toxins as your fat cells break down. This is just something I read once (sorry, can't remember the source) but if you are interested in learning more, I would start by looking at the La Leche League website.

To counter that, I would just make sure that I drink A LOT of water, make sure my LC choices are the healthiest, more nutrient dense (no processed meats, LC products, etc) and exercise.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 17:30
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey ladies! I am 15 weeks pregnant and planning to breastfeed as I did with my daughters. Good to hear that lcing doesn't necessarily affect nursing. I had read that if you are in ketosis it can change the flavor of your milk and the baby might not like it. Sounds like you all are demonstrating that this ain't necessarily so.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 14:58

Plan: Stillman & Atkins
Stats: 211/173/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi Camcyd

I have lost about 35lbs so far bringing me about half way to target.

Regards