Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would I Make A Free Call for Future Access to Liquid Splenda?
Yes, Right Away! 413 79.27%
As Soon As I Can... 67 12.86%
Maybe Next Week... 27 5.18%
Absolutely Not! 14 2.69%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

#91   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 00:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

We have the thread going in the Low Carb Products Forum.

Poll: Liquid Splenda (absolutely no carbs)

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 05:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/195/140
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Sydney

I sent them an email (have also called) regarding both Liquid and tablet form, told them if there was no requests for it in the US, why would they bother exerting their influence on people who can sell it to us. I also told them if they didn't change their mind I was going back to tablet form of Equal. Of course, I didn't hear anything from them. Big surprise. While I think that Sucralose may be a bit better for us than Equal, I'm not going to give them my business if they won't bother to answer emails, phone calls, etc. from us, their customers.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, Roe! There's no getting away from it, if there's unfillered sucralose/Splenda out there, this is the conversational "thread" it's likely to show up in, one way or the other.

Welcome back
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 07:18
Registered Member

Stats: 285/199/130
BF:
Progress: 55%
Red face

Here's the reply I received from them. I told them I had a small low carb bakery that I was interested in purchasing Liquid Splenda to use. Okay, so it's a VERY small bakery, ...in my house...
At least they are "aware" FWIW.

Dear Lisa,

Although we do not have any plans at this time to extend our product line to include a liquid version of SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener, we are always exploring potential line extensions. We are aware of the low-carb consumer base that is interested in
having a liquid version of SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener available in the United States and as we plan for the future we will take this into consideration.

Tracey Ely
SPLENDA Consumer Relationship Center
  #95   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 15:32

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Buying Liquid Splenda in USA

Has anyone tried to purchase bulk liquid Splenda in the US? Normally only food manufacturers would do this, but why couldn't a group of low carbers go in on the deal? I think some of us here are desperate enough for it. The minimum appears to be 4 containers that are almost 1 gallon each. Any takers? Anyone tried this?

http://ingredient.splenda.com/buy/usa.asp

Available in a case of (4) 3.6 Liter containers or a
20 kg drum.

Catherine A. Neumann
Sales Development Associate
501 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ USA 08903
Phone: 732-524-6278
1-800-7-SPLENDA
Fax: 732-524-2866
cneuman2~mspus.jnj.com
  #96   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 00:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

A few thoughts on an interesting suggestion:

(1) I believe J&J/McNeil/Splenda having been "leaning" on any resellers who dare to distribute unfillered Splenda (which is why Best Body Supplements is the latest to be NOT selling the Splenda/sucralose any more, I'm sure).
(2) I think you have to be a commercial manufacturing organization before they'll sell it to "you".
(3) I think nobody's really got the upfront cash (not cheap, this much "stuff") to front and organize for such a 'syndicate' of lowcarbers. You willing to take on the planning, organization and payments?

Tough questions... keep on thinking, we may solve this yet...
  #97   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 11:10

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

The group buy sounds like a good idea; anyone know someone with a food business? Although after using the powder I'd prefer that to the liquid form because then I can control the concentration.

Of course, since a teaspoon of the powder is equal to 3 cups of sugar, buying a kilo would be like buying 900 pounds of sugar! :dazed:

Karla
  #98   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 21:36

BF:
Default Liquid Splenda is 150 times sugar

Karla,

According to Splenda website, liquid Splenda is 25% Sucralose and the rest is water and preservative. This still allows control over concentration since you still must add water and has other benefits. For one, dry Splenda powder is light and fly-away easily dispersed like ashes. When you mix your dry Splenda with water, it has a definite shelf-life which is not posted on the website but that is why Splenda puts preservatives in their liquid mixture. Besides 14.4 liters of a 1:150 solution is less than 1 kg of powder at a 1:600 solution considering the weight of the powder. (These are the minimum orders.)

Copied from the website:

• Approximately 150 x sweeter than sugar

• Clear, colorless, highly soluble solution

• Available in a case of (4) 3.6 Liter containers or a
20 kg drum.

Percentages in Liquid Splenda

Water

Sucralose (SPLENDA® Brand)

Citric Acid, anhydrous

Sodium Citrate, hydrous

Potassium Sorbate (FCC)

Sodium Benzoate (FCC)
  #99   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 08:18
Registered Member

Stats: 146/146/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Splenda

Hi Voyager:

Stay away from Splenda. I had a web page on the horrible effects on use. I literally got sick from it. It has not been studied thoroughly by the FDA. Check out the site on Splenda studies.
Anyway, once you stay away from sugar for a few days, you detox and don't crave it as much.
It was hard for me, but I had a noticeble change in my body by eliminating sugar.
Try it.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 09:00

BF:
Default Too soon to say Splenda is dangerous

Dear Sandra,

Thank you for your concern and warning. Unfortunately, I have tried abstaining from sugar for as much as 1 month at a time, but the craving never went away. You must be one of the lucky ones. Many of us will never be able to completely cut the sugar out of our lives and Splenda gives us a fighting chance.

I believe it is too early to throw in the towel on sucralose. You do not mention the site that you referred to. I have read several sites and studies on Splenda toxicity, etc. however it appears to be less harmful than the current sweeteners on the market.

Splenda has the chemical composition of sugar (sucrose) with a few less Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms and additional Chlorine atoms. About the chlorine, we drink it everyday in tap water.

They are now saying that chocolate can cause lead poisoning, but in the hundreds of years of people eating hundreds of pounds of chocolate, I've never heard of anyone dying of lead-poisoning.

#101   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 09:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Re: Splenda

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy34683
Hi Voyager:

Stay away from Splenda. I had a web page on the horrible effects on use. I literally got sick from it. It has not been studied thoroughly by the FDA. Check out the site on Splenda studies.
Anyway, once you stay away from sugar for a few days, you detox and don't crave it as much.
It was hard for me, but I had a noticeble change in my body by eliminating sugar.
Try it.

Please remember we all individuals here and having said that we all react differently ... I have used Splenda for several years with no ill effects and it has been approved for use in Canada for many years now...actually in PP the Eades recommend that if you do indulge in sweetners that Sucralose is the best so far in moderation... as with Splenda, Soy and other products that seem to create controversy there are many sites pro and con where research and studies have been conducted.... please take a minute to read through the entire thread I have attached...I think it offers food for fodder....

http://bbs.eatprotein.com/cgi-bin/u...ic&f=1&t=202868

Bonnie
  #102   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 10:00
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Voyager:

Go for it. I prefer not to use it.
Kicking the sugar habit is extremely hard. I didn't say it was easy. Once in a while, I do give in to sugar free caramel from the mall. That high will last me a week.
I am starting to feel so good about my weight that I really focus on the result of anything I put in my months. This is due to years of struggling.
Keep up the good work.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 12:13

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%

I know someone from Brazil. does anyone know what liquid splenda is called down there?
  #104   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 14:06
Registered Member

BF:
Default Great Splenda

If you all enjoy and benefit from Splenda. Great.
I have finally reached a point (after struggling for years with equal, sweet n low, and everything else out there) where I don't crave sugar daily. When I do, like yesterday. 3 scoops of ice cream! That sugar high will last me for weeks.

I see results of my hard work, and that is why my will power is at an all time high. You will all get to this point. It has taken me years. I never thought I would stick to the Atkins life style this long. At first, it looked like another yo-yo diet.

Keep up the good work. Whatever makes you feel good and get through is what will always work for you.

#105   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 15:57

BF:
Default 1 tsp Splenda to 3/4 gallons water

It would be difficult for Splenda to be hazardous to anyone's health since to be used as sugar you have to mix 1 tsp of sucralose (pure Splenda) with 3/4 of a gallon of water.

I'm sure if you are using tap water, you are far more likely to die from the radioactivity, chorides and sulfate in the water supply (not to frighten anyone), but to show the incredibly small amount of Splenda that is eaten.

The box of Spenda you buy in the store actually contains about 99.9% Maltodextrin and 0.1% Splenda. In other words in the 110 gram box there is less than 1/4 teaspoon of Splenda (sucralose).

---------

By the way, Splenda is called sucralose in every country.