Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 16:40

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Anita, thank you for the good wishes for my success! From your mouth to ___'s ears! But with the genes I've inherited from my mother, it's a long haul--and even eating so many wonderfully decadent, legal foods, I have to watch myself like a hawk for discipline in number of cals/carbs I take in (shades of something NancyLC said once, about how she too has to watch cals in order to lose).

For me personally, weight loss stubbornness doesn't represent a stalled metabolism, I don't believe. Carb ups do work to keep my metabolism revved, it's true, which enables me to maintain at a particular weight, but for me, it's the longer carb downs that are the primary weight loss mechanism.

For instance, if I worked gradually now to up my cals for longer and longer periods, I think I could eventually maintain on 1500 (maybe even 1600) cals/30ish net carbs/ day--but I'd be maintaining at 115 pounds. If I want to get to 105, ever, I've got to carb/cal down slowly but surely (and the majority of the time).

Then, if I ever get there (okay, guys, when I get there! ), I'll have to stay there for a while--which might mean a mini-carb up cycle (like 1350 cals/20ish net carbs)--and then, ever so gradually, begin the regular longer carb up/shorter carb down cycles that'll lead me to maintenance at 105 lbs.

I guess I've taken the chatty way to offer my plan, as Anita suggested we all do!

I'm intrigued by the cal up phase discussed in this thread. Who is doing that--? I can't remember. The idea being that when I segue to carb up, it's more like 1500 cals/20ish net carbs, to see if I retain less water via fewer carbs. And, of course, if the carbs remain lower, the fat percentage can be higher--which, in turn, may continue to stimulate some sort of weight loss...who knows!

*Sigh* Why oh why didn't I inherit my father's metabolism?! He remained lean all his life--and when my mother gained to the point where she was fat (certainly to me), I remember her making deep chocolate pudding and literally pouring heavy cream all over the top of it and serving that to my father (don't think "lc," because this would have been after a dinner of fried chicken with biscuits, mashed potatoes with heavy cream, and all sorts of other goodies!). He never, ever gained an ounce.

Instead, I have my mother's body, metabolism, and appetite--a triple threat! But I have one thing she never had--and I developed it all on my own: willpower and determination.

Bye, guys~!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan: carb cycling
Stats: 22/12/8 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

I am hungry today too, but trying to ignore it....

Carb down:
Breakfast: usually 3 pieces of sausage or an egg with about half a slice of american cheese scrambled together.
Do my morning walk..
snack of cottage cheese. (1/2 cup)
lunch of meat (no more than 4 ounces)of some sort (chicken, roast, ground beef, pork chop etc.) and 1.5 cups of induction veggies
snack of nuts (1 ounce)
supper meat (no more than 4 ounces) and 1.5 cups of induction veggies
Other than cottage chese unless I have eggs I leave other cheeses alone and eat them more frequently on carb up.
Carb up looks similar but like I said I allow a potato or carrotts and low carb bread and low carb ice cream.
I am bad aboout not doing fitday. I know there is a signifigant difference in the carbs and the amount I eat so I know the calories are a lot higher too.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 18:00

Plan: Carb-cycling
Stats: 175/165/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:BMI = 31%
Progress: 18%

Hi Cyclers! Good Monday morning to you all!

Anita, thanks for the info.

Sona, wow! You are still at 113 -113.5!!!

As for me, I weighed in at 167.5. So, after 3 days of carb up, I am up 2.5 pounds. Not too bad. I will be carbing down the "Banta" way until Friday night. then It will be back to carb up. I hope with this cycle I stay at the lower weight for longer than 1 day!

I too, eat coconut oil. Just spoon it right out. So yummy! I am upping my dosage to 4-5 TB a day. The Banta way also recommends coconut.

Interesting note: If you up your fats like Banta, you should decrease your proteins somewhat. Today with my meals, I increased my fat dramatically. By lunchtime, I could barely finish my lunch, and it is 4 PM now and I am only having an Advantage shake and 1 TB of coconut oil. I feel so full. I am definitely not wanting the protein I used to eat on regular Atkins induction.

Last edited by amethyst1 : Mon, Nov-08-04 at 18:27.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 18:17

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

Pattilacy, if I could, I'd like to make a suggestion--just something maybe to think about. Since you mention being hungry on your carb down, I wanted to suggest that you try for something other than 1/2 cup of cottage cheese on your snack. Just as an experiment, I mean, maybe one time--try something perhaps a tad higher in fat and less likely to digest sugar into your system as quickly. I love cottage cheese (are you eating low-fat? full-fat?), but I've noticed that, compared with, say, part-skim ricotta cheese, it tends to make me hungry within an hour of eating it--if I eat it by itself, without another corresponding fat of some kind.

You may know for a fact that the cottage cheese isn't the culprit here, so forgive me for suggesting it might be! But it has been for me.

How many cals/carbs do you allot for the 1/2 cup cottage cheese? 120 cals/3 carbs, perhaps? I buy an unprocessed fat-free ricotta cheese at 60 cals per 1/2 cup and 2 carbs, to which I add 1 tablespoon heavy cream, for a total of 110 cals and 2 carbs--and for some reason it keeps me longer than the cottage cheese. Part-skim has the same staying power, sometimes even better, although it's higher in cals; I can eat 1/3 cup for 117.5 cals, 2.64 carbs.

Blended with some cinnamon and stevia, it's luscious either way--just as I love my cottage cheese!

Ooops, sorry to ramble!

Dana, thanks for the good wishes--but I'm sooo gun-shy--I expect tomorrow's weight to be 114 again! No faith....

Good luck with a Banta carb down--I think it's exciting! Between now and Friday, eh? I hope you reach virgin territory on this cycle~

Later!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 18:29

Plan: Carb-cycling
Stats: 175/165/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:BMI = 31%
Progress: 18%

Thank you Sona, so do I!!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 19:03

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 195/182/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 26%

I am new here... but not to low carb.

Couple of questions:
-- About carb counting... "real" carbs or "net" carbs?
-- Do you have a percentage "range" that you try to keep for protein, carbs, fat?

And --- I have never really counted calories before. Can someone recommend what my calorie intake should be on Carb up/ Carb down days?

Thanks.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 22:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Net carbs.

Right now I'm trying the Banta diet where you eat 80% of your calories from fat. We'll see how that goes. I just ate like a horse today. Other than my experiment today, no. Normally I don't strive for a particular percentage.

I go for 1200 on carb down and about 1600-1700 on carb up. Everyone is different though. Depends on your height, age, weight, physical activity. Just pick a number and experiment a bit. Or find one of the 100's of basal metabolism calculators online and it can give you a rough estimate. Fitday has one, but I think it tends to be way too optomistic.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 06:25

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%

Well I have decided to jump on the bandwagon.

I had taken a break from dieting, Well not exactally the dieting just all the counting for awhile. So now after my rest I am back to counting cals/carbs.

I started earlier but found I have to spend a few days getting back into eating clean again. In spite of that I am still down 2.5 pounds for my first not so clean cycle.

Beginning Cycle 2 Carb down today. I also am doing the Banta style carb down with the regular Carb up.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 06:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Congrats Sona on moving that needle. I hope it sticks for you.

I am on day 2 of my carb up and within one day gained 2-3 pounds over my virgin low. Help - tell me not to panic. I am continuing carb up today with trepidation (and because I will be at a conference all day!) but if I gain more I will have to go back to carb down. Yikes, I hope this works. My first carb up I did not gain at all. I did have some deli meats yesterday and a pickle so I could be holding water. Arrrgh.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 06:42

Plan: Carb Cycling Anita Style
Stats: 175/165/135 Female 66
BF:BMI 28%
Progress: 25%

~Good Morning Chic Cyclers~

Here is the Fitday breakdown of yesterday's food:

Total: 1734
Fat: 122 65%
Carbs: 51 9%
Fiber: 11 0 0%
Protein: 108 26%
NET CARBS: 40g

This morning my weight is 165.5! That's 1.5 pounds down from yesterday. I'm fairly cetain that is due to TOM and water retention. I really think cycling is going to work for me. I started cycling on Saturday at 167, so after 3 days of carb-up I have lost 1.5 pounds. I'm gonna shoot for 40g carbs and 1600 calories today. I'll keep it at this level as long as I am losing, but I still want to throw in a few days of carb down regardless - to keep thing hoppin'.

Need to change my profile to say PLAN: Dr. Anita's Chic Cycling.

The weather is wonderful here in South Florida, sunny and cool with a nice crisp breeze. Perfect for doing something outside. I may go for a long walk or a bike ride today.

Have a peacful and productive day gorgeous ladies!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 06:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyD
Well I have decided to jump on the bandwagon.
Beginning Cycle 2 Carb down today. I also am doing the Banta style carb down with the regular Carb up.

Hi Kathy! I just wanted ot say Welcome and good luck! I've heard some great things about the Banta Technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnseeds
I did have some deli meats yesterday and a pickle so I could be holding water. Arrrgh.

Deli meat, pepperoni, and sausage really cause me to hold water. I find that if I drink an extra glass or two of water for each *sodium laden* food I consume, I don't notice it on the scale so much the next day. I was tempted to go carb-down yesterday when I saw a 2 pound gain from the previous day, but I stuck with carb-up and sure enough 1.5 pounds were gone today. Drink extra water today and see what the scale says tomorrow. Good luck!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 07:34
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Christy*
~Need to change my profile to say PLAN: Dr. Anita's Chic Cycling.

Actually, I am famous. There are even more cyclers at the lowcarbfriends forum doing this. They saw the original "Magic" thread and adopted the program!! They even give me credit! I'm sooo happy that so many low carbers are finding a way to get the lbs moving!!

KathyD: Welcome, my friend, to our group. (Kathy and I go way back on this board, and I'm thrilled she has joined us.) Sounds like you are off to an excellent start. You are a welcome addition to our club!

Christy: Looks like you are on your way!

nutsnseeds: Don't panic!! Yep, let's give it another day. Look how carb up worked for Christy! Although, each of us is different.

sandsandle: Welcome! Have you read Post #1 from the original thread? (link in my sig line). For you, probably calories of 1800-1900, maybe even 2000 on carb up, and on carb down, why don't you start with around 1300-1400? Carbs, well, opinions vary! I would try for below 20 on carb down and 50-70 on carb up. What do you other cyclers think? As for percentages, well some of us are trying to up the fat on carb down, but until now most of us have been successful without doing that. Just remember that this is still basically a high fat, low carb diet. If you follow the basic Atkins guidelines, you should be fine. Start posting to fitday and see what happens. Then you'll know if you need to change anything!
And, good luck to you!

Sona: Well, you haven't checked in yet today (unless you are posting while I am) but my best wishes are floating to you for a good weigh in. You have worked SO hard!

Me: Well, I'm down one full pound this morning to 145.6. So, I'm still up 1.8 over my lowest. I'm carbing down today, trying to keep fats up, calories low, protein moderate and carbs almost not there!

Have a WONDERFUL Tuesday cyclers!

Anita
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 09:14
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Hey, where is everyone this morning??

A couple of personal things: I started yesterday to post again to fitday. I was surprised that I had not posted menus since Sept. 6!! The last weight I had recorded was 161.2! So, I recorded yesterday's food, and am up to date so far for today. Keep on me to keep recording! My goal is to be at goal by Christmas!

I put a link in my sig line to fitday. This should help keep me motivated to keep posting (since I know people will be looking), and will also help newbies see what's going on. I know that Sona makes her fitday public. If anyone else is comfortable doing that, it would be great! I'm going to try to remember to post where I am in the cycle in the journal entry, and any other info that might be interesting to someone looking at my fitday for the first time. I haven't been very good about posting to my journal here, and don't want to have to record things twice, so I'll try this for now.

Yesterday I ended at 1166 cals (that includes my Tablespoon+ of flaxseed oil), and 7 net carbs. I didn't get to Banta levels with my fat, but I'm pleased with my ratios: 78%fat/2%carbs/19%protein.

That's it for now. Still waiting for you other cyclers to wake up!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 09:15

I don't know if any of you use the Ketosticks, but I do on occasion and thought I would pass on what I found this morning. Even on Carb-up I am still in ketosis. It's measuring *moderate* amounts of ketones. The lowest amount of carbs I have had over the past 3 days was 40g net and I went as high as 62g net.

Has anyone else been using them to monitor fat burn? If so what were your results?
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 09:22
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Christy! "Carb Cycling Anita Style" ? You crack me up! I'm also flattered. I really hope this is the answer for you.

Looks like you and I are the only ones awake this morning!

Nope, I've never used the sticks, thought about it though. Interesting that you're still in ketosis even during carb up!! I read somewhere that once you are firmly in ketosis you can up the carbs and still get the ketosis benefit. Of course, there is an upper limit to it, probably different for each of us.