Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 13:49

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default keep it

It will help with fat loss (caffeine will help release fatty acids to be burned for fuel), and it will also help to protect your muscle mass.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 13:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Whew, that's what I thought.... I was worried there for a few minutes. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Nat
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 07:21

Plan: none
Stats: 188/188/200
BF:
Progress:
Default Huh?

How does caffiene protect muscle mass? Its a stimulant and a vasoconstrictor. Do nicotine and cocaine protect muscle mass too?

Lipo
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 16:53

Default Class is in session ...

Lipo, first be assured that I have years of experience in nutrition and sports supplementation (certifications, as well as thousands of hours of research). I have been studying this since the late 80's ... I am never one to tout my own merits, but I KNOW what I am talking about.

Now, here we go:

Aside from burning fat, caffeine and ephedrine have also been shown to have "nutrient partioning effects". Test subjects fed the same number of calories, with the same macronutrient ratios gained 10% more muscle and 30% less fat than subjects not taking caffeine.

I could go on and on, but I will refer you to one study out of many that back up this finding.

R. Pasquale, et al., "Chronic Beta-receptor stimulation Prevents Nitrogen Loss During Semi-starvation in obese subjects," Int. J. Obes. 13.1 (1989): 188-192

And to answer your sarcastic comment, nicotine yes. I am not sure about cocaine since I have no need to study such things.

Do you want me to take you to school on the effects of transdermal nicotine as a fat loss aid?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 16:55

BF:
Default Re: Class is in session ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
Do you want me to take you to school on the effects of transdermal nicotine as a fat loss aid?

Hell no! Please don't..... I have to quit and that wouldnt help at all!!!

Nat
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 17:33

Default funny Nat

I was only half-joking, but it is true. Again, it is a case where each person needs to weigh out personal risks vs. benefits ...

BUT, I know bodybuilders that have used it as a "down and dirty" trick to stimulate fat loss. It does it quite quickly too I might add.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 07:32

Plan: none
Stats: 188/188/200
BF:
Progress:
Default Wasting my time

This is my last post on this board. Obviously there is nothing here for me. I hope your devotees follow your advise to the 't'.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 15:32

Default good luck

Well Lipo, I am not sure what you were looking for when you came here, but this board offers lots of support and information for those who have adopted the Low Carb way of eating (WOE).

Your posts were informative. Good luck with your efforts.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 15:37

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Default how sad...

I am sorry Lipo that you are leaving. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I thought this was a great thread, showing the vantage point of different individuals. I hope you were not offended that people do not think like you--if everyone in this world thought alike, wouldn't this world be boring???

Anyway, since I started this thread, I obviously believe in the view of Dan and Nat that AM cardio does work. I have and currently do (although not as much as i should) AM cardio on an empty tummy and it has and still does work for me.

To each his own..... thank everyone for making this an interesting thread!!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 03:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/199/174
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Morning cardio

For the last 11 days i've been getting up and working out at 5.30 am. I'm following the Body for Life exercise program and Bill Phillips also recommends it. I'm no expert but I've got 6 years medical school and what dan says seems perfectly reasonable.

The morning workout is working for me because, as horrible as the alarm-clock is, I get up and do it (and its out of the way). I can feel the metabolic increase as I am hot for several hours after. The rush is also good - it makes me feel better and that can't be bad.

Nat - please quit. Believe me its not so bad! I used patches and some gum and I was amazed at how easy it was and its nearly been a year. That's not to say that I still occasionally see someone smoking and it causes real craving, but usually no so bad.

Cheers

Jon
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/199/174
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Question for trainerdan

I'm also doing my weights early a.m. on an empty stomach. Do you have any thoughts on that?

thanks

Jon
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 18:17

Default wow

Personally, I find AM weight training hard. I am much stronger in the afternoon/evening since there is fuel in my system.

However, since your goal is fat loss and not powerlifting, weight training in the AM is OK. Just be sure to take you post-workout nutrition within 30 minutes to maximize your muscle recovery process.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 11:23

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default am cardio

i know this thread is a month old, but it started the day i joined, and i missed it!
every day i am amazed and grateful regarding the information people are willing to share for FREE on this forum. Nat and Doreen guided me to this thread, and i am so thankful. if there was a worshiping smiley face, i'd add it 1,000 times.
(hint, Wa'il?)
i think i'll take a day off, get to bed early, set the alarm, and run in the morning.
brenda
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 11:28

BF:
Default Re: Morning cardio

Quote:
Originally posted by jonrees
Nat - please quit.

I did, Jon. Now I'm officially a quitter and a loser

Nat
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 132/122/100 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Well, I'm by no means a pro at this yet but i get up and do my cardio (which is a 2 mile walk at a fast pace) in the am and do my weight training at night before dinner...does that sound ok or should i change that up?