Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 12:28

Plan: ONE DAY AT A TIME:)!
Stats: 142.5/138.6/120.0 Female 5 feet and 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Thyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamv
Doloresrod Hi! I'm getting back to you I'm always so busy but I enjoy chatting with you. Thanks for asking about my update, so far nothing, I work out everyday at the gym and have a low carb lifestyle change for quite awhile now and I am on 2 grain armour and levoylx 112mcg. and my blood work is coming back that I'm hyper not hypo and I still haven't lost one gosh darn pound I'm getting very discouraged and I do not know what could be holding the weight on? I know I'm anemic that's why I'm tired in the afternoon but other then that I can't figure it out I've been on the new meds for 3 and a 1/2 weeks now and I'm real lost! Any suggestions? Thanks JAMV

Hi Jamv, Gosh! I'm not sure why you're not losing weight. My first suggestion would be is to start a journal. Write down everything you're eating and what you're doing for exercise. I know that has helped me alot. Have you noticed a difference in the way your clothes fit? Maybe you are losing inches and gaining muscle and that is why you haven't noticed a difference on the scale. Let me know, that's definitely hard to go through. I went from a size 8 to a size 4 and some of those clothes are too big and I weigh 126. I would have thought with wearing that size I would be less but I think I have some muscle weight. I hope that's what's going on with you. I know that it's easy to give up but don't. I will always be here when you need a friend.

Take Care,
Dolores
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 20:58

Plan: somersize
Stats: 145/180/35 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Too much!

Doloresrod Hi my husband thinks that I'm working out too much, that I'm not letting my muscles mend after weight training. no such luck with a change in the way my clothes fit, I Wish!!! You would think that there would be some kind of change but nothing it's like I don't even work out. Maybe my body will take a little longer to adjust to the meds because I was on the wrong meds for such a long time I'm grabbing at straws here? Thanks for listening JAMV
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 02:22

BF:
Default Cardio

Quote:
Doloresrod Hi my husband thinks that I'm working out too much, that I'm not letting my muscles mend after weight training. no such luck with a change in the way my clothes fit, I Wish!!! You would think that there would be some kind of change but nothing it's like I don't even work out. Maybe my body will take a little longer to adjust to the meds because I was on the wrong meds for such a long time I'm grabbing at straws here? Thanks for listening JAMV

Hi Jamv, Do you add cardio in with the weight training? I walk 3 miles every morning. I try and walk it in less than 45 minutes.
What about your hormone levels? Have you had those checked? I use a natural progesterone cream on days 14-28 of my cycle. That seems to help also, my endo. said that it helps in speeding up your metabolism.
Maybe your husband is right in giving the meds a little longer to work.
Keep me updated. Dolores
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 18:02

Plan: somersize
Stats: 145/180/35 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default discouraged

Doloresrod Hi I can't believe this I still haven't lost anything. My hair hasn't grown and it's been over a month on the armour I don't know what to do I think I'm destine to be fat the rest of my life. I've been working out and nothing is working! I'm so lost That's all from my end, you seem to be doing good! I wish I could get down as low as you. Well talk to you later Thanks Jamv
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 19:17

BF:
Default Reply

Quote:
Doloresrod Hi I can't believe this I still haven't lost anything. My hair hasn't grown and it's been over a month on the armour I don't know what to do I think I'm destine to be fat the rest of my life. I've been working out and nothing is working! I'm so lost That's all from my end, you seem to be doing good! I wish I could get down as low as you. Well talk to you later Thanks Jamv

Hi Jamv, I'm sorry that you haven't noticed a difference. Have you been back to the doctor. I really think that maybe your doctor needs to add T4 to your medication. I take 75 mcg of Compound T4 with the Armour and I really think that has helped me lose weight the last couple of months. Is there any way possible for you to start a journal and write down what you eat and what you do for exercise. Maybe I can give suggestions there. If you visited my journal lately, I haven't been doing real well. I hope to get back on track soon. With it raining here, I wasn't able to walk this morning and I won't be able to tomorrow since it is suppose to rain then.
Thanks for keeping me updated.
Dolores
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein - Low carb
Stats: 152/140/125 Female 5'4
BF:32%/26%/18%
Progress: 44%

Hi Guys.. Slipping in here with a question.. I have an appointment with my Dr next week as I too am having symptoms of Hypo thyroid. I asked the nurse today what last years TSH was and she told me .068. I asked her to repeat it and she stuttered a min and said .68. What does that mean? I am still learning what the numbers mean and that number seems low.. But low doesn't indicate a problem with the TSH number from what I think I understand.. I was thinking if it was being over 2 indicated a problem.
I am exhausted, constipated, and have cut my calories to 1500 a day and work out cardio and weights and hour and a half 6 days a week. I have done this for 9 months and had lost only 6-8 pounds.. I'm looking for answers. Thanks for listening..
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 06:29

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%

Jamv- Hey, I just wanted to say we are both on the same boat, look at my stats. Only Im not on any meds yet and lately I have been working out like crazy at the gym (3-4 hours with cardio and weight every onther day and AM empty stomac cardio plus general homeworkout) and eaten less calories (1200-1500) I have acctually lost 1.5 kilos. Im sure uts all waterweight but Im still very happy about it. Could you do something like this? How does your diet look? I acctually find that sf gums help me keep the calories down... but then again, not good if they give you craving. What does your doctor say about this, is he going to change your meds around a little?
Best of lucks to ya!

Sherdian- You TSH of .68 acctually look very good. You should get your Free T3 and Free T4s tested, you should also test for antibodys. How is your water itake btw? Good luuck!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 07:17

BF:
Default Free T3 and Free T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan
Hi Guys.. Slipping in here with a question.. I have an appointment with my Dr next week as I too am having symptoms of Hypo thyroid. I asked the nurse today what last years TSH was and she told me .068. I asked her to repeat it and she stuttered a min and said .68. What does that mean? I am still learning what the numbers mean and that number seems low.. But low doesn't indicate a problem with the TSH number from what I think I understand.. I was thinking if it was being over 2 indicated a problem.
I am exhausted, constipated, and have cut my calories to 1500 a day and work out cardio and weights and hour and a half 6 days a week. I have done this for 9 months and had lost only 6-8 pounds.. I'm looking for answers. Thanks for listening..

Hey Sheridan, Yes, you do need to get your Free T4 and Free T3. Right now, my TSH level is 0.1, Free T4 is 1.5 and Free T3 is 363. I am on 1 1/2 grains of Armour and 75mcg of Compound T4. Before I started the meds. my TSH was 1.92 and Free T4 was 1.0, I'm not sure what my Free T3 was. I feel soooo much better now and I've lost weight.
It does look like you have signs of hypo.. Some doctors will treat symptons but unfortunately there are doctors who only go by your numbers.
Keep us posted.

Dolores
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 07:19

BF:
Default Thyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rosa
Jamv- Hey, I just wanted to say we are both on the same boat, look at my stats. Only Im not on any meds yet and lately I have been working out like crazy at the gym (3-4 hours with cardio and weight every onther day and AM empty stomac cardio plus general homeworkout) and eaten less calories (1200-1500) I have acctually lost 1.5 kilos. Im sure uts all waterweight but Im still very happy about it. Could you do something like this? How does your diet look? I acctually find that sf gums help me keep the calories down... but then again, not good if they give you craving. What does your doctor say about this, is he going to change your meds around a little?
Best of lucks to ya!

Sherdian- You TSH of .68 acctually look very good. You should get your Free T3 and Free T4s tested, you should also test for antibodys. How is your water itake btw? Good luuck!

Hi DaRosa,
Have you been to the doctor about your thyroid? It sounds like you should be on meds..

Dolores
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 07:24

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan
I asked the nurse today what last years TSH was and she told me .068. I asked her to repeat it and she stuttered a min and said .68. What does that mean? I am still learning what the numbers mean and that number seems low.. But low doesn't indicate a problem with the TSH number from what I think I understand.. I was thinking if it was being over 2 indicated a problem.

Sheridan, while your TSH doesn't look 'off' this is enough information. Your symptoms suggest hypothyroidism, very strongly. Hopefully your doctor will run a few other tests, namely FT3, FT4 and antibodies (I would really push for these and I'll explain why).

The most common form of hypoT is autoimmune in nature, it's called Hashimoto's and it typically starts off with a low or normal TSH (like yours is), high T4 and high T3 (but not as high as the T4) . There will, however, be antibodies present (TPO and Tg); these are what are attacking your thyroid and causing your symptoms. Hashi's patients often experience both hyper and hypo symtoms as the antibodies go after their thyroid and it tries to compensate by producing more hormones.

I would caution you against cutting your calories too low, this is actually counter productive re your thyroid. The lower your calories get the more your body will slow metabolism, by producing/converting less T3. This will just make your hypoT worse. I'd also keep the exercise moderate and not excessive, again this will cause other hormones (cortisol in particular) to become unmanageable and high cortisol causes the body to stop making T3 - it's a viscious circle.

Good luck with your Dr.s appointment, Sheridan.

Nat
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 07:38

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%
Thumbs up

Doloresrod- No, not yet. I have taken tests, scans and along with my family history of hypo+diabetes, symptomes and what the numbers said, it all shows I have it: Hypothyroid (Hashi problably) and PCOS! I have my very firs apointment with an endo the 15th this november. Our dear Natrushka, NoBimbo, ItsTheWooo along with others has helped me alot with advise on what tests to demand, meds I should be on, foods to avoid and supplements to take... it has helped alot and I would probrably not had taken my condition seriusly and I would just had accepted it as somthing I couldnt do anything about if it wasnt for them. Big huggs to all of them!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 09:34

BF:
Default Appt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rosa
Doloresrod- No, not yet. I have taken tests, scans and along with my family history of hypo+diabetes, symptomes and what the numbers said, it all shows I have it: Hypothyroid (Hashi problably) and PCOS! I have my very firs apointment with an endo the 15th this november. Our dear Natrushka, NoBimbo, ItsTheWooo along with others has helped me alot with advise on what tests to demand, meds I should be on, foods to avoid and supplements to take... it has helped alot and I would probrably not had taken my condition seriusly and I would just had accepted it as somthing I couldnt do anything about if it wasnt for them. Big huggs to all of them!

DaRosa,
I hope all goes well with your appointment.

Dolores
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 09:35

BF:
Default Great Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Sheridan, while your TSH doesn't look 'off' this is enough information. Your symptoms suggest hypothyroidism, very strongly. Hopefully your doctor will run a few other tests, namely FT3, FT4 and antibodies (I would really push for these and I'll explain why).

The most common form of hypoT is autoimmune in nature, it's called Hashimoto's and it typically starts off with a low or normal TSH (like yours is), high T4 and high T3 (but not as high as the T4) . There will, however, be antibodies present (TPO and Tg); these are what are attacking your thyroid and causing your symptoms. Hashi's patients often experience both hyper and hypo symtoms as the antibodies go after their thyroid and it tries to compensate by producing more hormones.

I would caution you against cutting your calories too low, this is actually counter productive re your thyroid. The lower your calories get the more your body will slow metabolism, by producing/converting less T3. This will just make your hypoT worse. I'd also keep the exercise moderate and not excessive, again this will cause other hormones (cortisol in particular) to become unmanageable and high cortisol causes the body to stop making T3 - it's a viscious circle.

Good luck with your Dr.s appointment, Sheridan.

Nat

Nat,
I just wanted to say you always give great advice. You have so much knowledge when it comes to the thyroid. Thanks!!!

Dolores
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 12:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doloresrod
Nat,
I just wanted to say you always give great advice. You have so much knowledge when it comes to the thyroid. Thanks!!!

Dolores

Thank you Dolores I came by my knowledge the hard way; I had to go through two doctors who thought "it was all in my head".
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 13:11

BF:
Default Doctors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Thank you Dolores I came by my knowledge the hard way; I had to go through two doctors who thought "it was all in my head".

Dealing with doctors is hard. The first doctor that tested my thyroid was my ob/gyn and she didn't think I needed to be on the meds. since my test were in the normal range but yet even though I wasn't depressed she wanted to put me on an anti-depressant. Then off to my PCP, he wanted to do the same. Fortunately, I found another PCP that worked with me. Now I'm going to an endo. who is also great. It helps soooo much when you find the right doctor.

Dolores