Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 08:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default GTF Chromium

Where do you get it? I have been looking and I can't find it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 09:19

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Amy--I order mine http://www.btnature.com/display_pro...3%2E0&g=146%2E0here
It's a good company, and I've always had very good service from them. (Shipping is cheap, too)..
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 09:24

BF:

I saw that one before but in the CALP book it recommends 200 mcg, I would have to take 10 of those pills a day to get their recommended dosage. That is the brand they recommend in CALP too but they state that most manufacturers make 200 mcg pills not 20 mcg.

I wonder what amount is most effective. I am quitting smoking and they say it will help with the weight gain from smoking cessation, so I assume I would need the higher amount. I know it probably wont help anyway cause they also say that it takes a month or longer to feel or see the effects of chromium.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 09:27

BF:

Quote:

Each tablet includes sufficient CHROMAX ® -GTF to be biologically equivalent to a minimum of 200 mcg of trivalent chromium.

Hmmm, I didn't see this part. Can someone explain this? Does it mean one of these 20mcg tablets is equal to 200 mcg of chromium?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 22:42
46 Reasons!

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 279/266/258 Female 5'7"
BF:more than enough
Progress: 62%

Their tablets are not 20 MCG, they are 20 MG, which is different. I'm not sure the conversion between mg and mcg, but my guess is that this is why it says it's equivalent to 200 mcg's. Just wanted to chime in!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 10:22
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Yes- 20 milligrams (MG) is the same as 200 micrograms (mcg). MG=thousands and mcg=millions. Confusing!
Eno
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 13:02

BF:

Hey Everyone, I should be getting it today. I have lent my CALP book to my mother, could someone tell me again what are the advantages of taking this?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 13:07

BF:

To answer my own question:

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/glucose.html
Quote:

Q: What is GTF chromium? Why do people need it?

A: GTF chromium was discovered when yeast extracts mixed with insulin were found to make insulin work better in the lowering of blood sugar levels. GTF, which contains chromium, was also found to be important in reducing cholesterol and triglycerides in diabetics. GTF is an essential micronutrient but can not be classified as either a trace element or a vitamin. It is currently classified as a "nutrient" which means that it can be sold over the counter (without prescription or regulation). While glucose tolerance factor chromium is found naturally in our foods: beef, beer, black pepper, brewer's yeast, calves' liver, cheese, clams, fresh fruits, lobsters, mushrooms, potatoes, scallops, thyme, whole grains, wines, research studies at the United States Department of Agriculture have estimated that as many as nine out of ten American diets are deficient in this important nutrient. Not only do most of us not get enough GTF chromium, the simple sugars in our diets, stress, and the simple act of aging all reduce the chromium supplies our bodies may have.

#9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 13:48
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Amy
Greatminds, lol!!! I just posted this in my journal.

http://www.wellfx.com/InfoBase/chromium.html
Chromium

Diabetes
Strong Bones
Fatigue

Hypoglycemia
Anxiety

Chromium must be converted to a biologically active form for physiological function. Glucose tolerance factor (GTF), a biologically active form isolated from brewer's yeast, contains chromium (III), nicotinic acid, and the amino acids glycine, glutamic acid, and cysteine. GTF potentiates insulin's actions and therefore influences carbohydrate, lipid, and protein metabolism. It works with insulin to facilitate glucose uptake, regulate blood sugar levels, and stimulate protein synthesis.

The exact nature of the chromium-insulin interaction is unknown. Chromium may potentiate insulin action through direct action on insulin or its receptor, or it may regulate the synthesis of a molecule that potentiates insulin action. In clinical studies, GTF chromium has been shown to potentiate the effects of insulin and decrease serum cholesterol and triglycerides.

GTF (Glucose tolerance factor) is a molecule built around the mineral. Researchers developed chromium compounds that are more easily absorbed and utilized in the body (picolinate and polynicotinate, for example). Taken regularly, this trace mineral throws considerable therapeutic weight against the entire roster of problems caused or worsened by insulin resistance - including obesity, hypoglycemia, stroke, high blood pressure, Crohn's disease and colitis, ulcers, gastritis, multiple sclerosis, Meniere's disease, migraines, premenstrual tension, seizure disorders, and a host of psychiatric disturbances.

Chromium is indispensable for controlling noninsulin-dependent (Type II) diabetes. It may also benefit people who have the insulin-dependent (Type I) form of the condition.

Using 180 people from Beijing, China, who had Type II diabetes, Richard Anderson, Ph.D., from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Agriculture Research Service, proved that a daily 1,000 mcg (1 mg) dose of chromium picolinate could stabilize blood sugar in just two months. After four months of supplementation, they gained even stronger control of their blood glucose, insulin, and cholesterol.

Additional chromium is needed during pregnancy because the developing fetus increases demand for this mineral.

The average American diet is chromium deficient. Only one in ten Americans have an adequate amount of chromium in his or her diet.

High quantities of carbohydrates and sugar in the diet cause a loss of chromium from the body. When your body exhibits low levels of the trace mineral, your craving for sugars grows.

Even without dieting, chromium can increase your total lean body mass, which in turn speeds up your metabolism and burns additional fat.

Chromium helps to prevent the loss of lean muscle tissue if you intentionally cut back on calories.

A deficiency of chromium has also been associated with a higher chance of developing heart problems. Chromium helps raise the blood's concentration of artery-clearing HDL cholesterol and, at the same time, decreases LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels. The reduction is even more impressive, researchers report, when a little niacin accompanies the chromium.

Chromium may alleviate chronic headaches and contribute to the treatment of acne, which appears to be caused in part by disturbed insulin metabolism.

Chromium makes bones strong by increasing DHEA levels, so it could figure into a treatment program for osteoporosis.

For obesity and other problems related to insulin resistance, the suggested daily dosage is 200-600 mcg; for full-blown diabetes or extreme obesity, 600 and 1,000 mcg per day.

Deficiency: Symptoms of chromium deficiency include glucose intolerance, elevated circulating insulin, glycosuria, fasting hyperglycemia, impaired growth, decreased longevity, elevated serum cholesterol and triglycerides, increased incidence of aortic plaques, peripheral neuropathy, brain disorders, decreased fertility and sperm count, negative nitrogen balance, and decreased respiratory quotient.

Children with protein-calorie malnutrition, diabetics, and older individuals may be especially susceptible to chromium deficiency.

Depleting Agents: The trend toward consuming highly processed foods may be a major contributing factor to this problem; appreciable losses of chromium occur in the refining of foods. Stressors such as elevated simple sugars, strenuous physical exercise or work, infection, and physical trauma may increase the loss of chromium, thereby increasing the need for chromium.

Sources: Chromium is found in the following food sources: beer, brewer's yeast, brown rice, cheese, meat, and whole grains. It may also be found in dried beans, blackstrap molasses, calf liver, chicken, corn and corn oil, dairy products, dried liver, dulse, eggs, mushrooms, and potatoes.

Herb Sources: Catnip, horsetail, licorice, nettle, oat straw, red clover, sarsaparilla, wild yam, and yarrow.

Precautions: If you suffer from low blood sugar you may experience symptoms of hypoglycemia if chromium is taken in excess.

Dosage Ranges and Duration of Administration: There are no RDAs established for chromium. The estimated safe and adequate daily dietary intakes of chromium are as follows:

Infants birth to 6 months: 10 to 40 mcg
Infants 6 to 12 months: 20 to 60 mcg
Children 1 to 3 years: 20 to 80 mcg
Children 4 to 6 years: 30 to 120 mcg
Children 7 to 10 years: 50 to 200 mcg
11+ years: 50 to 200 mcg
Dosage for disease prevention and treatment is typically 200 mcg chromium one to three times a day.

INTERACTIONS

Biguanide Antidiabetic Agents; Insulin Preparations; Sulfonylureas
A total of 115 patients with either Type I or Type II diabetes who were treated with chromium (200 mcg/day) required lower doses of insulin, sulfonylurea drugs, and metformin. The glycemic response to chromium treatment was greater for patients with Type II diabetes (57.2%). Chromium picolinate may benefit patients with Type II diabetes by increasing insulin sensitivity and stimulating insulin receptor sites.

Calcium Carbonate
Administration of 1 mL antacid suspension of calcium carbonate (150 mg) prior to treatment with 20 uCi 51chromium chloride minimized accumulation of chromium in the kidneys, testes, and spleen in male rats. These findings are supported by another study with female rats given antacid (40 mg) by gastric intubation (0.5 mL) followed orally by 55 uCi 51chromium chloride; chromium absorption was hindered by pretreatment with antacid.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 14:24

BF:

Thanks Zule, I especially liked this part:

Quote:
Even without dieting, chromium can increase your total lean body mass, which in turn speeds up your metabolism and burns additional fat.

Chromium helps to prevent the loss of lean muscle tissue if you intentionally cut back on calories.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 10:18

Stats: 350/205/180 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've been taking chromium since I can remember and have to say I'll never stop!

1.) It DOSE make you leaner
2.) It has an amazing ability to bring down blood sugar levels which helps immensly with cravings and recovery after eating to much sugar
3.) It strengthens the heart!

Awesome supplement, extremely affordable as well.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 05:30
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Bumping it.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 10:41
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Bumping it.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 10:46

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Amy,

I get my GTF Chromium from Vitamin World. It's super cheap! Their website is:

www.vitaminworld.com

If there happens to be a store near you, they have sales for members every first Monday and Tuesday of the month -- buy 1, get 1 free.

I get all my supplements there (on those days) -- and membership is free!

Bon
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 16:05

Plan: Whole30 (Paleo)
Stats: 600/253/225 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon
Amy,

I get my GTF Chromium from Vitamin World. It's super cheap! Their website is:

www.vitaminworld.com

If there happens to be a store near you, they have sales for members every first Monday and Tuesday of the month -- buy 1, get 1 free.

I get all my supplements there (on those days) -- and membership is free!

Bon

Wow Bon! Thanks for that link!
I was needing to order more chromium and I use drugstore.com, the cost is about 3 times that at vitaminworld! It is also on Buy 1 get one Free Sale at vitamin world now, including shipping I got two 100 tablet bottles for about $10.

Very cool share!
Mike

Last edited by Mykelogan : Thu, Sep-29-05 at 16:23.