Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would Low Carb work for Anyone?
Everyone should eat this way. 76 31.93%
People with insulin problems should, but that's most. 40 16.81%
Some people need a higher carb level than low carb. 104 43.70%
Grains and sugar are just fine, it's quantity. 18 7.56%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

#61   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I personally think that although all humans have the same broad genetic patterns, each individual also has some gene patterns that are specific to them and their own ancestry. Therefore it wold be ridiculous to make broad statements either for or against carbs. Carbs are useful and a carb is a carb is a carb whether it is in fruit or vegetables. While it is true certain foods have higher carb levels per portion that others, all one would have to do to counter that would be to control the portions. It is all a matter of balance and food combining in order to get the neccessary nutrients without getting a lot of empty calories such as in processed foods or more calories than the body can burn off in a reasonable amount of time. Having said that, I realize that some people have a genetic makeup or health conditions that make it difficult for them to metabolize certain foods to their optimum. So my answer it that some people can utilize a lot of carbs with no problem while some others cannot.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 00:36
Aneres

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
adkpam:
If by low carbing you mean Atkins and other ketogenic low carb diet, then I'm this person. I can't function on less than 70 g of carbs a day, I do really good on about 100-120 g from low GI vegetables, low GI fruit, nuts, plain yougurt, kefir and feta cheese, eggs, chicken and/or fish or seafood, olive oil, seeds and nuts. Ocationally, I'll have 1/2 cup of slow cooked oats or barley. No sweets, sugars, no low carb junk, bars, candies, etc.
I'm not messing with a die hard Atkins followers but understand those who feel horrible on this diet, myself included. It's not about carbs cravings, I don't have them and don't have sweet tooth in general. It's more a quality of live, which sufferes once I get into ketosis (<50g carbs). I can't concentrate, getting depressed and have panic attacks almost every day. add digestive troubles like heart burn and increased stomach acidity, fatigue, headaches, and in general, no desire to live. I've struggled trying to lose remaining weight for a while now, but everytime I tell myself, hey, don't be such a whimp, everyone else does it, and cut my carbs to 30g a day, I get all the sympthoms back and have to get back to my otherwise healthy diet. Add that I've started shedding too much hair, my usually very nice complexion becomes gets of greyish and liveless. I love working out but being on too low cabrs makes it very hard on me. I have nocturnal muscle cramps, painfull tingling and twitching, throbbing in my legs despite all the suggested supplements I take religiously. So, you got the picture.
So, we are not messing with you guys, not everyone benefits from hard core low carb diet. I believe there is no one size fits all diet and while some thrive on protein/fat, others like me, would feel miserable if put on this diet for a long time. I also believe that those who need to lose 20 pounds don't have to go into ketosis, they would do just well by cutting processed and junk food, sodas, juices, etc, simply put, empty calories. I'm pro low carbs, just can't do meat/fat/vegetable for the rest of my life, and diet means lifestyle. so, I'd rather keep those extra pounds, but feel good and energetic, exercise and eat healthy, then lose all the weight just to regain it back, and feel miserable, tried and true, at least, for myself. I'd like to hear from others too.
Dina

Dina, I am you..!! LOL!
I started LC about a week ago and lost 7 lbs in 3 days!! Then 5 more in the next day and a half [because I couldn't eat] Great you might say..but no, I felt like I was on death's door. I honestly [from searching this site endlessly] believe I was doing it right, eating what the book told me to eat but in the end I listened to my body [and my husband who made me eat a tuna sandwich!! LOL] I had extreme nausea, cramps in stomach and beginning in legs, weakness, dizziness and headaches. It was suggested that my body was detoxing and yeah that is probably exactly what was happening, but i KNOW that I couldn't live like that. Yes, I want to lose weight but not be half dead to do it.
BUT, I really like the LC idea and it still makes sense to me, but I had to modify it because otherwise I would never stick it out. Now I still don't have the sugar, pot's or pasta [and alot of other things] but I reintroduced more fruit and raw carrots, which I love!!! I also cut down the fat because I didn't like it, all that cream, cheese, butter and stuff sat in my stomach like a greasy lead weight. By the way, I don't cheat with chocs, icecreams, desserts of any kind- well anything at all dessert related so I figure cheating with a carrot is a pretty good choice!! because a month ago I would have polished off 1/2 litre icecream.
Maybe it's not a strict low carb but it's working for me. I feel better and I don't have to take multivitamins,potassium or anything else to 'fix' me up [I have to say, if this WOL is so good why do you need all that stuff?] Anyway, I've lost 2 more lbs, so it's slow and steady and maybe when I stall I'll have to re-evaluate but for me, the program was way too harsh. I see a lot of modified diets on this board so I guess others feel they have to tweak it to work for them. So, my answer would be , no, I don't think it suits everyone.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-04, 18:26

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

What never ceases to fascinate me is how our ancestors survived during the 10,000 year Ice Age. The Eskimos too who were a healthy breed (and without crime) until affected by our Westernised influence within the last century. The answers to those questions probably lies here.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-04, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

An interesting thread I'm learning a lot from as I try to ease myself back into a healthy pattern of eating.

Atkins has taught me about food addictions, sugar, and the interest in this WOE has spurred me on to informational sites, like this one, and made me much more conscious of what I put in my body.

That being said, I'm paying close attention to those that say they simply don't do well on the lower levels of carbs. Here's what's happened to me, over and over again - I do induction. I love induction, and it doesn't bother me one bit. The problem is that I *completely* loose my appetite, and simply can not add the carbs back in. I've tried, I just can't eat. So I'll go along like this for maybe 3 or 4 weeks and then BAM, it hits me. I get week and disoriented, head feels "fuzzy", and I break it by eating what I shouldn't.

So clearly, I have to do something different this time... I'm researching and am not going to start off on induction levels. I think it's about making healthier choices - the salad before the meal, healthy grains to a small extent, good fats, etc etc (we all know the deal).

And I see this in what I try to feed my 10 year old vs what her dad feeds her. Here, she gets meats and salads, fruits and low-sugar yogurts. At her dad's, it's macaroni and cheese every night, and the veg is canned corn.

And yes, I think everybody needs to make those healthy choices!
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-04, 10:42

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duparc
What never ceases to fascinate me is how our ancestors survived during the 10,000 year Ice Age. The Eskimos too who were a healthy breed (and without crime) until affected by our Westernised influence within the last century. The answers to those questions probably lies here.

I agree and as I mentioned before, these people are our canaries. Remember when miners would send canaries into a mine and if the birds died the miners would no enter. The death of the canaries were a sign that the mine had bad air.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 16:32

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

I understand that there's genetic variation in various ancestries. But I am wondering if there was ever a culture that survived for tens (or hundreds) of thousands of years on a high carb diet. If not, then noone's ancestry makes them immune to the bad effects of a high carb diet. Our ancestors were all exposed to water, but none of us can breathe underwater.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 19:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

I agree with some of you that it isn't necessary to go to extremes in cutting carbs for normal people who are doing it to lose weight, but I do believe it's necessary for diabetics to keep their carb intake considerably lower than 100 grams - preferably 50 or lower per day.

Karen D.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 12:16

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I guess this is an old thread but it caught my eye.

I think *all* (yes, all) people on the planet earth would be healthier on a low PROCESSED carb diet.

I do not believe that there is a single person on this planet who would thrive and do much better on refined flour and refined sugar. How would that be possible? When people have reactions to eating LC and want to up their carbs, broccoli will do that trick. Nothing can convince me that adding a Pop Tart instead would be just as good.

I think that although many people are amazed by the high percentages cited for "insulant resistant" people and for Type II diabetic people, they shouldn't be. I don't think hyper-reaction to processed foods is weird at all. I think it's natural. The people who *can* eat tons of processed foods without a reaction (on the outside or on the inside!) are the ones who are anomalies.

No matter what our ancestry, not one of us came from a long line of paleolithic Wonder Bread eaters.

Now, as for carbs in general (including veggie carbs)...we would not have such a problem with those, if we hadn't already messed up our bodies with Twinkies. The problem goes back to our childhoods, and even the foods we were getting in utero--our bodies grew and shaped and developed while trying to get around and trying to utilize in any way possible the carbs in Wonder Bread, Trix and pasta. As a result, when we try to reset our metabolism, we have to make a clean slate, restricting ALL carbs...at least temporarily. For some people, though, the damage is enough for it to have to be that way for life. To be honest, I don't mind that fact. "Restricted" vegetables even on Induction of Atkins are more vegetables than the average American gets in a day. And the veggies (and a few fruits & nuts) just increase from there.

My opinion.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 20:02
Registered Member

Absolutely not! I have tried just about every type of low carb woe I know of and it does not work for me. In fact they all made me ill with terrible indigestion. I finally found out why. There are 2 main reasons. One is that I have a very sluggish metabolism due to hypothyroidism and the second reason is that I had my gallbladder removed several years ago. I cannot digest a mostly protein diet. I need more fiber than is allowed in most low carb diets. I got severe constipation and impaction on every low carb diet I tried. Nothing anyone suggested worked. Not drinking more water (I drank about 100 oz. a day) or cutting out caffiene or eating more green veggies like spinach or taking psyllium or metamucil or exercising or ANYTHING worked. I was doubled over with pain many times. However if I eat just 1-2 slices of whole grain bread or 1 cup of bran cereal a day it relieves that condition quickly. I gave the low carb woe my BEST shot. I tried and tried and tried again, but it was no use. I lost 5-10 lbs. with each attempt but had to give up because of severe indigestion. I just can't process the protein without eating grains in order to move things along. The low carb (mostly protein) woe is just not for people like me. I am back to counting calories. Maybe it will work or maybe it won't, but at least I won't have the chronic indigestion I had when I was low carbing.
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 21:24

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
...the second reason is that I had my gallbladder removed several years ago. I cannot digest a mostly protein diet. ... I just can't process the protein without eating grains in order to move things along. The low carb (mostly protein) woe is just not for people like me...

FluffyBear,

The low-carb diet that I am on (Atkins/Protein Power) is a high fat diet, not high protein. Is there a reason that you have not done high-fat?
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 05:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
the second reason is that I had my gallbladder removed several years ago. I cannot digest a mostly protein diet.

Fluffybear, I'm sorry that you haven't been able to make this work for you, but I need to point out that your gallbladder plays no part at all in protein digestion. The function of the gallbladder is to store bile salts for use in fat digestion only. Once it is removed, the bile is still produced, but instead of being stored in the gallbladder, it enters the small intestine directly at a slow trickle.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 08:07
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Fluffybear,

There is no reason whatsoever why you can't include a couple slices whole wheat bread or a cup of All Bran while on a low carb diet.
A couple slices of bread will give you less than 30 grams of net carbs, and a cup of All Bran even less. It's not that much, really...
I believe in the Dr Lutz/Life Without Bread 72 gram-a-day carb limit, which gives a lot of room for vegetables, some whole grains, and some fruit.
And as LisaN pointed out, the gallbladder has nothing to do with protein digestion.
Also, as Dodger pointed, a low carb WOE should be high fat, not high protein.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 08:45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
FluffyBear,

The low-carb diet that I am on (Atkins/Protein Power) is a high fat diet, not high protein. Is there a reason that you have not done high-fat?
I did Atkins. It replaces carbs with proteins as your main nutrient source, right? In other words it has MORE protein than any other kinds of foods. I am not saying it neccessarily has more protein than a regular diet. I did not eat any more protein when I was on Atkins than when I was not. HOWEVER, because I did not get enough bulk and fiber from the limited amount of veggies allowed, my body found it more difficult to move things along in my alimentary tract. Same thing happened with South Beach and other diets. I did go on one plan that had more protein than I usually ate and no grains and the same thing happened.

Last edited by fluffybear : Mon, Feb-21-05 at 08:57.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 08:54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneMitch
Fluffybear,

There is no reason whatsoever why you can't include a couple slices whole wheat bread or a cup of All Bran while on a low carb diet.
A couple slices of bread will give you less than 30 grams of net carbs, and a cup of All Bran even less. It's not that much, really...
I believe in the Dr Lutz/Life Without Bread 72 gram-a-day carb limit, which gives a lot of room for vegetables, some whole grains, and some fruit.
And as LisaN pointed out, the gallbladder has nothing to do with protein digestion.
Also, as Dodger pointed, a low carb WOE should be high fat, not high protein.
I know what the gallbladder is for. But most proteins (including nuts) have fat. But the combination of protein which are slower to digest than carbs and the fat was hard on my digestive system.

As far as eating bread or cereal------uh, I didn't see where they were included in the Atkins or any other low carb woe I tried. Sure, I COULD have included them but then I wouldn't have really been doing low carb. I am not pigging out on bread or grains now. I have learned from my experiences with low carb that I can do very nicely without MOST processed carbs and of course esp. without junk food. I have also learned to do without caffiene and be aware of everything I am eating. But in the end, I cannot do Atkins, South Beach, 6WBM or ANY woe that does not allow me to have the fiber grains my body needs in order to be comfortable while trying to lose weight.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 10:13
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Read «Life Without Bread» by Wolfgang Lutz for a less restrictive approach to LCing, and for a really general overview of the principles on which it is based.
You CAN eat a couple of slices of bread a day and be LCing. You may not be doing SB or Atkins or anything but it will still be Low Carb.
And on a low carb diet, you absolutely need extra fat to have regular bowel movements.