Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would Low Carb work for Anyone?
Everyone should eat this way. 76 31.93%
People with insulin problems should, but that's most. 40 16.81%
Some people need a higher carb level than low carb. 104 43.70%
Grains and sugar are just fine, it's quantity. 18 7.56%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 15:00

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Since one of the central tenets of Atkins is finding your own carb level, what Dina1957 is doing fits into Atkins for me. As someone who works in a dialysis center, and who sees the ravages of diabetes every day, I do think everyone should some form onf low carb. Nyah Levi
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I voted for "people with insulin problems should". Additionally, I think anyone with a strong family history of any carbohydrate metabolism issues should eat this way. Anyone who lives a sedentary lifestyle, also, should eat this way, as being sedentary reduces capacity to tolerate high sugar intake. Even in myself I notice my ability to feel good while eating more carbs is increased dramatically with just moderate regular physical activity. If you work a desk job and are eating bagels for breakfast you're asking for trouble.

That said, I think most people would be well served to do a moderate low carb diet, from which no more than 25% of calories come from carbohydrate. Not everyone, but the overwhelming majority of those living in a typical western environment should.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 20:37
Registered Member

BF:

One more thing, I don't think everyone feels as dramatically better as others when they start this diet. My sister doesn't feel more physically satisfied or energetic on it. She feels hungrier and lethargic. She actually had to moderate her diet to allow higher carb allowances just to feel good.
I, as well, find myself feeling quite low if I eat almost no carbohydrate, whereas others just love induction levels.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 20:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Hi CindySue48:
Thank you for being kind to my 100g a day . I agree with you
and IMHO, if you stick to non-starchy vegetables and low GI/GL fruits, full fat milk or yougurt as your carbs sources, it's hard to fit more into your diet. You need a more refined sources of cabrs, like sugary drinks, fruit juices, sodas, candies, etc to get 300-500 g a day.
Regards,
Dina

100 g a day isn't high carb at all. If you eat 1600 cals daily that's only 25% carb. If you eat more calories, 100 grams is even less.

Personally I fluctuate around the 70s. Some days I go higher, others lower, and I feel just fine here. If i go much higher than that, though, I start to get some symptoms back. First the acne (I have PCOS), then I notice all day I feel "shaky" and jittery, then the hunger hits like a mac truck and I'm thinking about food all the time.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 20:51
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I fret from carbs not because of a few carbs here and there. I fret because over the years, I have eaten high carb meals, in between snacks and in between the in between snacks and meals. It was the over-use of carbohydrates over the years, that caused my problem. If I never introduced candy, cakes, pies, chips into my body things like steel rolled oats, butternut squash or whole rice would never have negative affects on my health. We can say that the good carbs are healthy because they are-but many, like me, who hugged bad carbs so tightly have harmed the way that we can metabolize the good carbs.

Just one bad carb can ruin it for all the rest.

100% agreement.

I have no doubt that my own sugar tolerance problems were in many ways self induced. Sure, the genetic tendency was there, but if I never drank the quart of fruit juice daily I did, if I never ate stuff like ramen soups, or rice stuffed in a pita (I remember my cousin gasping in horror, watching 280 lbs of me chow down on a huge pita filled with a cup of rice as she exclaimed "oh my god, you are going to get diabetes, that's a double carbohydrate!"), etc... I seriously doubt I would have the problems I do now.

I don't blame myself completely, I just didn't know any better and by the time I did it was too late to undo what had been done. I was addicted. It was a purely physical addiction, too, because the things I used to love I think about eating and it actually makes me sick. The sickeningly sweet syrup drink I clung to like life support makes me gag just thinking about consuming that.

So, yea, I agree once the damage has been done by regular consumption of unnaturally sweet/starchy foods, a lot of "healthy food" isn't so healthy anymore.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 06:46
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi black57:

Quote:
I fret from carbs not because of a few carbs here and there. I fret because over the years, I have eaten high carb meals, in between snacks and in between the in between snacks and meals. It was the over-use of carbohydrates over the years, that caused my problem. If I never introduced candy, cakes, pies, chips into my body things like steel rolled oats, butternut squash or whole rice would never have negative affects on my health. We can say that the good carbs are healthy because they are-but many, like me, who hugged bad carbs so tightly have harmed the way that we can metabolise the good carbs.

I'm not sure if this was directed towards me, but the wording uses many of my own words, so I'm assuming it is.

I didn't say the "fret" word about starchy carbs, I said it about non-starchy vegetables. I absolutely respect and understand what you are saying. I'm not advocating that EVERYONE should eat moderate carbs. Neither am I advocating that EVERYONE should eat low carbs. What I'm advocating is that people should understand individual differences. Saying EVERYONE should eat LC (ketogenic) diets (which the majority of votes indicate so far) victimizes those who can't.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Aug-21-04 at 06:52.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 07:06

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

I tried 'low carb' (ie Atkins induction) once and I felt horrible for the entire two weeks. My workouts suffered, I couldn't sleep, I had constipation, etc. Now I know there are fixes for the latter of the problems and probably the others as well, but I lost bodyfat, gained muscle and had none of the above problems on a more moderate carb plan (35%-40%, occasionally more, no 'sugar', mostly 'good' whole grain type carbs). Giving up all the crappy carbs made the difference.

That said, I realize others do better at a much lower carb level - probably almost everyone would benefit from SOME carb descrease, but you need to find the level that works for you and your lifestyle.

I think my husband is one for which a 'low carb' WOE works - he gets sluggish and sleepy after eating just a tiny bit of 'sugar' (bread, sweets, whatever) whereas with me it gives me an energy boost and I'm raring to go. It's very amusing if we have a 'free meal'- he's 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzz' and I'm WHEEEE!!

Last edited by featherz : Sat, Aug-21-04 at 07:15.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 14:04

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Wcollier, my comment was meant for you but from my perspective. I wasn't disaggreeing with you. I was just stating my viewpoint. I do intend to begin eating more nutritive carbs like those that you mentioned but not until I feel that my body has become stable.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam

That's why I feel it's probably good for everyone, but maybe I'm a little biased in that my own carb levels are pretty low for me to feel my best.
Hi adkpam:
Mind to share what is your current daily carb level. You have reached your weight goal, so you are in maintenance phase of Atkins now, right?
Thanks,
Dina
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Dina,

I've been between 40-60, except for those days that I've been indulging in ice cream or cashews, and then I'm probably at 100. But I've put on 5 pounds by doing this, so I certainly know my limits.

I mean to clarify my statement in that eating the 60 or 70 is very dependent on what kinds of carbs I eat. 20 carbs of anything breadlike seems to make me hungrier, whereas 20 carbs of fruit does not.

So I haven't really been climbing the carb ladder at all since maintaining...I more or less eat the way I've always eaten low carb, between 40 and 60, only I stopped losing at this weight, which I do like.

Except for the extra 5 pounds, which I'll be getting rid of NOW.

I find all these replies very interesting. And I deliberately didn't state a level, since I know that varies so much by the individual. Personally, I figure anything under 100 carbs a day qualifies as low-carb.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 11:44
Registered Member

Hi adkpam:
Thank you for the clarification. It's good that you feel your best at this level of carbs, I wish I could do the same.
I may try another pitful attempt to lower my carbs, but may be need to exercise less then so I won't feel so rotten afterwards.
Regards,
Dina
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 16:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I find all these replies very interesting. And I deliberately didn't state a level, since I know that varies so much by the individual. Personally, I figure anything under 100 carbs a day qualifies as low-carb.

I have to agree, adkpam. I didn't vote since it's not clear what "low carb" is in the poll but I think that "controlled carb" would benefit the vast majority of people. Just as not everyone does well on more than 60 grams of carb per day, not everyone feels well on 30 or less. I do fine at 30 grams and have been at that level for over 3 years now. Dr. Bernstein (Bernstein's Diabetes Solution) has stayed at that level for decades and does strenous excercising on it.
When it comes to what level of carb intake is "right", I think Dr. Atkins had it right: everyone has to find that level for themselves and generally the more active you are, the more carbs you can incorporate into your daily plan.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 22:24
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
Hi Dina,

I've been between 40-60, except for those days that I've been indulging in ice cream or cashews, and then I'm probably at 100. But I've put on 5 pounds by doing this, so I certainly know my limits.

I mean to clarify my statement in that eating the 60 or 70 is very dependent on what kinds of carbs I eat. 20 carbs of anything breadlike seems to make me hungrier, whereas 20 carbs of fruit does not.

So I haven't really been climbing the carb ladder at all since maintaining...I more or less eat the way I've always eaten low carb, between 40 and 60, only I stopped losing at this weight, which I do like.

Except for the extra 5 pounds, which I'll be getting rid of NOW.

I very much agree with your personal findings, Adkpam. I find carb counting to be very inadequate. 10 net carbs from a huge fibrous salad, or berries, or even higher glycemic fruits like apples and peaches, in no way impacts me like like 10 net carbs from bread or rice. Grain, for some reason, does more damage than most fruit.

So, I really have stopped "counting carbs" for this reason. I just eat intuitively now. I pretty much know my limits. I group everything into categories like follows:
1) eat as much of as you want (very low carb/low cal/high nutrition foods like salad greens),
2) eat frequently, but impose a modicum of moderation (berries, nuts, avocado, carrots, peas, and other higher carb/calorie yet still low carb nutritious foods),
3) eat with strict moderation (low carb junk foods, and fairly high carb foods like milk and most sweet fruit, reduced calorie/carb grain products)
4) avoid when possible (refined vegetation products like sugar, flours, and fruit juices)

I find the more secure I get in my ability to maintain weight, the more I start to divorce myself from any "plan" (i.e. Atkins) or "structure" (i.e. calorie counting, Fitday, etc) and just go with myself instead. I think carb counting is helpful for newbies to learn their limits and give them a reference point & structure to experiment from. It creates an aura of having a "safe zone" which makes experimenting less scary (if something "goes wrong" they can always come back to "induction" aka 20 limited carbs until they regain control). Easing the anxiety associated with weight control, by giving people a "safe zone" and "safe foods" is a very powerful motivator to keep you on the right track.

However, once you become secure in yourself and your own ability to control your weight, I find that counting anything becomes superfluous. There's no need to count calories or carbs or fat or anything once you have proven to yourself that the way you eat and the types of food you consume will not promote weight gain. Once you really get "settled in" to having a way of life, theres no reason for counting. Just make sure you don't allow yourself to deviate from that way of life too much or too frequently, and you'll be fine .
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 22:47

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Exactly

I'm doing what wooo is doing. If I intuitively think I need a little boost or something I'm missing, I grab a handful of berries here, some fresh peas there. I think the most important thing to make this a liveable plan is variety. All you need is some bare bones guidelines, i.e. what foods you know will set you off and find a delisciuos alternative. This weekend I went to a buffet and indulged myself in some luscious melon and a big bowl of buttered carrots and zuchinni. I'm not counting carbs, and I'm not weighing myself endlessly. Just living life. The weight will come off when it comes off.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 10:30
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
I find carb counting to be very inadequate. 10 net carbs from a huge fibrous salad, or berries, or even higher glycemic fruits like apples and peaches, in no way impacts me like like 10 net carbs from bread or rice. Grain, for some reason, does more damage than most fruit.
ItsTheWooo:
I agree 100%. I believe it's because fructose in form of whole low GI fruits and berries doesn't spike insulin high. It gets absorbed by the liver and stored in form of glucogen. http://www.corsello.com/articles/fr...ural_sugars.htm
Add to this that fruit like apples, pears, grapefruit, melon, tomatoe, and all berries have higher fiber content, and you have a perfect food to satisfy your sweet tooth without setting off cravings. No to mention that fruits are loaded with antioxidants, especially berries. Also, I try to eat fruit with a meal, sneak some berries or chopped apples into my everyday lunch salad made of fibrous vegetables and salad greens, or as a snack with some cottage chesse/cheese or nuts, like apple and PB or a handful of almonds, yumm . I check my blood sugar on a regular basis and I've noticed that low GI fruit doesn't spike it while potatoes, bread, even whole grain, do. The best choice from grain is slow cooked oatmeal and pearled barley, ~ 1/2 a cup. Also, full fat whole milk and fermented dairy like yougurt and kefir don't impact my BGs as well as some beans, like chana dal and red kidney beans. It's a trial and error for me, but my meter is always brutally honest.
HFCS is totally different story, how many of low GI fruit one need to eat to get the same amount of liquid fructose from a cup of sweetened juice or fructose sweetened soda. The fiber will fill you up much faster.
IMHO, low GI/GL diet is the healthest and allows me to eat a variety of food and feel my best.
Best regards,
Dina