Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
IthinkIcan:
You know what works for you. Now all you have to do is pull up your socks, do it and not treat it as a diet. We are not dieting here most of us, we are eating healthy. Diet to you means giving up all that crap that made you fat for a while, losing the weight and then eating all the same crap again. Doesn't work. BTW Cherryrock stated some pretty ridiculous things in her intial post if you read it again. If you do any diet, lose weight and then start eating the way that made you fat (it's not only Atkins), you will regain the weight and more.

I am not unsympathetic to your plight, however we now know that there are many more options than the low-fat option that has been drummed into us for the past 30 years. Perhaps try doing what worked for you the best and stay on it longer to see what results you get. There is more than one low carb plan. Maybe you're one of the people that need to do Paleo, or Protein Power, eating more carbs/less carbs, more fat/less fat. Don't you think your health and peace of mind is worth a bit of investigation?

Umm, yea those are investigative ideas I had up there in my post (the whole thing I wrote in my post..such as... to eat wheat or not, food combining or just eat carbs at the right times, or the right carbs or the right fats, or more fats or stand on my head while I do it might work too) and yea, I've tried more than one of em and yea I read the entire books and and...
Sorry, I'm not feelin the pink cloud low carb and lovin it feelin. I know where you are and can get a general idea what you are saying, but I don't have the passion. I don't feel anything is the "ultimate" solution anymore. Don't get me wrong, I don't and won't rain on anymore's parade, not will sit on the pitypot. Just simply worn out with it all.
As for the PETA stuff, she just said basically her opinion, which is perfectly fine. I mean, she didn't name call and crap. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth is what I mean. Some people who are PETA, aren't even vegetarians, they simply don't eat meat from producers who are cruel and inhumane ..and of course, other products.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 16:14

Plan: My Own
Stats: 154/141/- Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

IthinkIcan, I was feeling the same way as you a few weeks ago. I have not been hugely overweight in my life but I wanted to be healthy. So I yo-yo-ed on and off Paleo for about year (this actually caused me to gain 20 lbs and put me in the the mildly overweight category for the first time). But I kept getting off of it (no matter how much I believed in it) because I have too many issues with food. Anyway, the overwhelming feeling I had was exhaustion. I was tired of reading every article I could find about healthy food and not healthy food, and wheat and not wheat, and meat and not meat and all of that. I was just so tired and overwhelmed. And I was eating and eating and eating purely for emotional reasons (in fact, at that time I don't think I had eaten out of physical hunger for years!)

I found a book called Fed Up! by Dr. Wendy Pyatt-Oliver and it has helped me alot. It is primarily about giving up diets and learning to trust yourself and your experience of physical hunger and satiaiton. It's not easy but I have been working on it for a few weeks now and I am making progress.

I don't know if it is the thing for you but your previous post sounded a bit like me a few weeks ago so I thought I'd throw the info up here.

I am trying it out myself and going to see where it takes me. I am just tired of diets and of being obsessed with pure food (I think I may have orthorexia nervosa and I definitely have issues with emotional eating big time)

-J
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 23:24
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thanks for that post, that's exactly what I had hoped for, for someone to be able to relate to me and offer support. *phew* Sometimes it helps to know you are just the only one as well. I was afraid I'd be nailed to the cross for expressing my current feelings.
And it would be a shame, because I have been very hopeful before. Atkins helped me when I felt I had failed myself with food. I don't know why, but to me, I just don't feel its the food I'm ingesting anymore. I used to believe that carbs were my evil. If I consumed too many and the wrong ones, I was certain THEY would take over my body. I believe everything has its place but whether any food group is the alpha or the omega anymore, I'm highly doubting.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-04, 00:37

Plan: My Own
Stats: 154/141/- Female 61.5 inches
BF:

I am doubting that as well. And I can see how it may be right for many, many people but not everyone. And I don't think my problem is carbs. I think my problem is my unhealthy relationship with food. So that is where I am at right now and healing this relationship is where I am putting my focus.

I highly recommend Dr Pyatt-Oliver's book (she has a website which details a bit about her book. It is: http://getfedup.com/ )

Her book has really made a huge difference for me already. The idea is basically this: You can eat whatever you want as long as you only eat when you are physically hungry and stop when you are satiated. And I have found that when I wait until I am physically hungry, I tend to crave more nutritious food anyway (I think it is my body telling me what it needs), But I don't deprive myself if I want a cookie or two. But it's funny, this week I packed cookies in my lunch every day and only ate them one day out of five. I just wasn't hungry for them. And before, I use to crave and crave cookies. And feel guilty if I ate them.

I am only a few weeks in, though, and I still eat for emotional reasons and thus still overeat a bit. But as I am becoming more and more aware of my body and how it feels, I am getting better at figuring out what is physical hunger and what is emotional hunger. I think it may take a few months to really recover but I am making progress. And already, I am more relaxed about food and I have more energy to focus on other things in my life.

I also had previously thought I was addicted to carbs and had an extreme sensitivity to sugar. In the last few weeks I have come to the conclusion that I do not have either of those things. I now think that my spacey sick feeling after eating sugary food was due to anixety and guilt over eating the food (I would get flushed and dizzy 5 minutes after eating one cookie, or sometimes a piece of fruit). Since I have started teaching myself to not be guilty after anything I eat, I have had NO REACTION to any kind of food (unless I grossly overeat and feel bloated). It's been strange.

I'd be happy to talk more about it on this thread of you are interested in what my experience has been and so on. Or if you get the book, hear what you think about it.

It is very nice to hear that someone is feeling what I am feeling.

-J

Last edited by JPaleo : Sat, Oct-30-04 at 00:44.
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Back to the original post:

Eskimo's lived centuries on pure fat and protein. They had the healthiest autopsies ever recorded.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS ALL THE WAY
Stats: 240/155/155 Male 5ft 8inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryrock
Whoa, isn't the whole point of this forum to say MY opinion. Besides, I've read threw all the Atkins horror stories. Are you so attatched to meat that because i used to be meat-free you'll completely shun me? Veganism is what worked for me and many of my friends. Im not some animal activist freak out trying to rid the world of bunless hamburgers and low-carb turkey wraps. Also, everything I stated about the atkins diet is fact. My points are backed up by The New England Journal of Medicince, the director of the Preventitive Medicine Research Institute, countless nutritionists and my personal physician. Many things can help you lose wieght, smoking, amphetamines, bulimea, ect ect, it doesnt mean its healthy.

First off all dont post hear if you dont have facts. Yes your right it is your opinion but there is a differnce from your opinion AND FACTS. The truth is actually they have a study shown aroud the low carb forum new that the atkins diet actually decrease the risk of breast cancer and lowers the risk of heart disease so far. My teacher has been doin low carb for over 30 years and he is 77 years old and hasnt had one heart atack and even though he said his ldl is 161 remeber on the atkins your ldl may increase and if it does get it fractionaed and you will be very happy. MOst of the high ldl is the lipoprotien a wich is bencial to you and could protect you against heart disease and other things. So sorry if i was you please read his book and maybe your mom should do the diet correclty. Instead of stuffing her mouth with doughnuts and bageles
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 22:38

Plan: None
Stats: 999/999/999 Female 999
BF:
Progress:
Default Inuit Peoples [strike Eskimo]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
Back to the original post:

Eskimo's lived centuries on pure fat and protein. They had the healthiest autopsies ever recorded.

Just a note: From what I've learned over the years living in Canada (a country with an Inuit [strike Eskimo] population of which I am familiar) Inuit people have accustomed themselves over many generations to be able to tolerate their strenuous diet. Now they eat more like every one else and few continue to eat raw meat which is much easier to digest than cooked. All animals eat their meals raw. I say, if you are going to eat meat, try eating it freshly killed, still warm, and you'll see that it will digest much better. It’s known that humans ate raw marrow from the bones of animals killed by their predator. This was probably before they learned to kill for themselves with weapons. As an end thought, I’ve haven’t heard of Inuit people being referred to as healthy and long-lived before now.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 22:44

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah6
Just a note: From what I've learned over the years living in Canada (a country with an Inuit [strike Eskimo] population of which I am familiar) Inuit people have accustomed themselves over many generations to be able to tolerate their strenuous diet. Now they eat more like every one else and few continue to eat raw meat which is much easier to digest than cooked. All animals eat their meals raw. I say, if you are going to eat meat, try eating it freshly killed, still warm, and you'll see that it will digest much better. It’s known that humans ate raw marrow from the bones of animals killed by their predator. This was probably before they learned to kill for themselves with weapons. As an end thought, I’ve haven’t heard of Inuit people being referred to as healthy and long-lived before now.

The more inuit people eat "like everyone else" the worse the general health of the inuit population has got. (and I too am a canadian who is very family with inuit culture, having grown up going to school with and being close friends with many inuit peoples)
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 09:04

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaleo
And I don't think my problem is carbs. I think my problem is my unhealthy relationship with food. So that is where I am at right now and healing this relationship is where I am putting my focus.

You are very right here. You must deal with the emotional aspects of food as well as the physical. For you carbs may not be the culprit. But, once you get the emotional aspects under control, if you still find yourself craving and overeating, give controlled carb a try again.

I worked out the emotional thing a while ago.....but even with that, the cravings related to carbs and insulin resistance were getting in the way. Years ago I'd grab something to eat if I was stress, unhappy, bored, etc etc etc. But once I got that under control I still had my BODY screaming for food all the time! Controlling carbs has that under control. It is VERY hard to stick with a healthy eating plan of ANY kind when your body or emotions are interfering.

All of us react to carbs and other foods differently.....that why one diet/meal plan/lifestyle is NOT going to work for every one! Goodluck!
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 18:42

Plan: Atkins Lifestyle
Stats: 372/335/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Regarding the MSNBC article about charges claiming Atkins causes heart disease. I could understand if you ate extremely fatty meats, processed deli or canned meats filled with too much sodium everyday. However, the instructions clearly state LEAN non-processed meats. I mainly consume chicken breast and fish filets. I rarely eat a steak. I had a friend that lost the weight living off of deli meat (loaded with sodium and nitrites in some varieites) and lots of cheese dipped in ranch. I can see heart disease coming from that. A typical breakfast is a shake or 3 eggs and 3 slices of bacon, a lunch is usually another shake or a salad with a chicken breast, and dinner is usually fish and a steamed veggie or another small salad. I consume no more than 3oz of cheese in a day, sometimes not that much. My carb intake is about 20 grams if I have two snacks inbetween of celery and cream cheese. My health according to my doctor (including heart health) hasn't been better in years. To boot, I've dropped over 40 lbs and 4 inches. Not everyone's body is the same, and this lifestyle isn't for everyone. Keep an open mind and consider these facts.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 19:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Gosh, in my book, Atkins clearly states not to be afraid of fat, and doesn't say anything about only lean unprocessed meats. Have the newer editions really changed THAT much?
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 22:12

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Gosh, in my book, Atkins clearly states not to be afraid of fat, and doesn't say anything about only lean unprocessed meats. Have the newer editions really changed THAT much?

You aren't alone....my brand new editions of DANDR and atkins for life say exactly that, don't be afraid of fat as long as it is not trans fat.

I eat very high fat, and also very high sodium. My cholesterol and my blood pressure both went down to normal after lcing and eating this way.
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 20:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/283/250 Female 5'4
BF:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryrock
The atkins diet increases your chances of getting breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, constipation, headaches, and even bad breath. Did you know that Dr. Atkins didn't have himself autopsied when he died? .

ok where do i start...im on atkins and i havent been constipated.....no headaches....dont know about the cancer thing....and as for bad breath i brush my teeth daily so no problems with that...and how could dr atkins have himself autopsied? is that possible lol.
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cute4u_04
ok where do i start...im on atkins and i havent been constipated.....no headaches....dont know about the cancer thing....and as for bad breath i brush my teeth daily so no problems with that...and how could dr atkins have himself autopsied? is that possible lol.

High fat only causes those problems IF you eat high carb too.
Well, ya know, he was inconsiderate not to have himself autopsied before he died!
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 00:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 222/207/120 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress:

I'm not against vegans but I am a meateater. I do atkins but i try to eat more veggies than meat for health purposes.