Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 18:17
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
In all fairness, cherryrock is entitled to her opinion.
However, when someone begins to present opinion as fact in an effort to change someone's mind about what they are doing, they should be prepared to back up those opinions with more than just other people's opinions and studies that don't support what they are asserting to be fact.
I have a feeling that cherryrock wasn't fully prepared to have her opinion challenged as vigorously as it has been.

Of course, Lisa. Some of the previous posters seemed to be saying that cherryrock had no right to be here, when in fact that is what the war zone is for. Hopefully, cherryrock will start thinking about the error of her own diet and save herself before it is too late. I shudder to think of the damage I was doing to myself when I was living on bread, potatoes, and very little fat. I came to the truth on my own, but some people will only be convinced by forums like this. Every time we repeat ourselves here, we are potentially helping or hindering some silent reader who is trying to decide whether to start lc'ing. If our attitude is "go away if you don't agree with us," we will never convince the world that our WOL is worthwhile and safe.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Sorry... I was lost, pondering how someone could "have himself autopsied".......

I don't know either, but it must hurt alot...
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 18:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Sorry... I was lost, pondering how someone could "have himself autopsied".......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
I don't know either, but it must hurt alot...

Indeed! And if the person being autopsied wasn't dead prior to the autopsy, they certainly would be afterwards since all the organs are removed, measured and weighed (and not put back again).
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 22:04
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

They wouldn't have the guts to do it more than once, in other words.....
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 05:46

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

If he was a REAL doctor he would have done the autopsy himself.
Of course no one would believe the results cuz it was funded/done by the Atkins crowd and they are a conspirasy to
wipe out vegetarians....
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 06:32
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 250/110/101 Female 4'11"
BF:unknown
Progress: 94%

Hello everyone: Didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot here... but NO, I didn't have surgery. I am a professional psychologist and my field of expertise is bariatrics.
Most of my work is in a research center for obesity and diabetes.
Don't dive off when you don't know what the water's like.
Tootie
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 06:51
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

bevbme-- of course. <nods knowingly> Clearly only someone from PCRM would be allowed to perform an "unbiased" job of it.

Tootie-- it's all good. Even if you WERE the type of doctor that performed the surgery, you'd still be entitled to an opinion... BTW- do you ever get tired of hearing "Your name reminds me of that girl on "The Facts of Life"?
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 07:40
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Do you think I could have this much fun going to a PETA site and posting the wonders of a high protien diet?
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

Potatofree...I swear you make me laugh at least once a day...

Quote:
(giggle, giggle, snort...ooops...scuse me...giggle)

Quote:
Don't dive off when you don't know what the water's like.

Not quite sure what that referenced and just kinda curious.

I personally dont have a problem with the surgery for certain people. Matter of fact...I have an aunt that I wish would try it... My biggest problem is with those who have it without making an honest effort to try any alternatives...esp when they're not really heavy enough to warrant it (in my opinion...:lol

Even more than that...I have a problem with doctors who perform it without checking into the lifestyles and backgrounds of their patients.

The woman I reference earlier was about 80 pounds overweight, in her early 40's, ate junk constantly, and has 2 children (who also have weight issues). So...she was heavy, but not scarily so...she's fairly tall and carried it well. She was young enough to work at it a bit on her own (she wasnt older, diabetic, disabled). Most importantly...she had 2 children...whom she not only sent a HORRIBLE message about weight (not to mention eating in general)...but she endangered them by taking a fairly significant risk.

Not sure why I'm commenting on this at all. Dont feel like you're being badgered here. Honestly...I'm not...just kinda ruminating on the topic.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 09:03
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Or the cojones. Auto-autopsy, I think we are on to an new trend.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 09:09

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevbme
If he was a REAL doctor he would have done the autopsy himself.
Of course no one would believe the results cuz it was funded/done by the Atkins crowd and they are a conspirasy to
wipe out vegetarians....

LOL how true!
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Lila....I agree with you that it's the protein with the fat that works best!
Fat slows the gut and it takes 8-12 hours to digest protein. Longer digestion promotes satiety. I agree that fat alone doesn't do the trick Protein dies.
Here is some interesting facts, just ignore Atkins bashing part:
http://www.weightlossforall.com/diet-high-protein.htm
Dina

#73   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 10:26

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

People most often say, "when they got off Atkins they gained all their weight back and more!" Is that not true for any diet or weight loss program if you don't make it a lifestyle change? How does anyone expect to keep the weight off if they go back to eating Krispy Kream donuts? I am lactovegetarian and a low carber. I know carbs are my problem. Cutting the sugars and starches has made a world of difference for me. I am at maintainance and intend to avoid sugar forever and use a minimum of starchy stuff. Refined is out! Thanks for sharing and thanks everyone for your opinions. Opinions are what they are. We can only share what works for us. When we start promoting, we better have something solid to back it up.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 13:16
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryrock
From the day I heard about the Atkins diet I knew it was bad news. but i tried to stay open to the idea and decided to look into it more. In the August 2004 edition of national geographic there is an article on dieting by Ms. Cathy Newman. It turns out YES the atkins diet does help you lose weight, however, within 6 months gain it all back. In the case of my mother-in-law, she lost 40 pounds on the atkins diet, then gained 60. Also, this diet is extremely bad for you. The atkins diet increases your chances of getting breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, constipation, headaches, and even bad breath. Did you know that Dr. Atkins didn't have himself autopsied when he died? Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health, says that the best way to lose wieght, keep it off and stay healthy is simply to eat fewer calories. 1,600 a day for woman and 2,200 for men. I lost wieght by switching to a vegan diet for a while. I have to say, it was pretty hard, but I've never felt better in my life. My energy is through the roof and I'm very healthy. So, if you have the motivation, that is definately the diet I would suggest even if you dont care about animals. If you need help, I'm pretty sure the PETA website has vegetarian starter kits.

Cherryrock,

I understand how hard it is to believe everything that popular culture tells you is wrong. It seems impossible for ignorance and misinformation to run that deep. However, in my personal experience, it's true and it does.

All the diseases you claim a low carbohydrate diet is "linked to" are actually in no way conclusively linked to it at all. For example, one study will show that eating more red meat was loosely correlated with increased risk of cancer. It will in not identify the properties of meat itself which cause cancer (for example, they might be more likely to eat processed foods and less veggies. Or they simply might be more likely to eat meats/foods which are treated with chemicals like nitrites which have been proven to be cancer causing). It will simply report that eating more meat equals more cancer. We are left to assume that it must be the meat itself, and not some lifestyle cofactor which is.
Then someone with a (usually moral or financial) agenda takes this bit of evidence, and extrapolates it to form conclusions about the healthfulness of a low carb diet. After all, everyone knows that on a low carb diet you do nothing but feast on plates of beef.

You say that your mother in law lost 40 lbs on Atkins and then gained 60. It sounds to me like your mil went off her diet and went on an eating frenzy because she didn't realize LC is something you do for life . How is this the fault of Atkins again? Does anyone say weight watchers causes weight gain because they drop out? No, but whenever someone fails on LC for some reason LCing is blamed.
I contradict your theory that you regain all lost weight after 6 months. I am living proof it's untrue. I have been on Atkins for a year and a half. I have lost over 150 pounds eating this way. I achieved my goal weight awhile back and then some. I have maintained that weight for months... in fact I am still slowly losing weight (I really need to force myself to eat more now ).
I have no desire to return to a sugar and grain heavy diet. It's hard for you to believe this, and if you asked me a few months ago, I wouldn't either... but eating this way feels totally natural. I don't feel like I'm on a diet in that I feel deprived or long for things. Everything I really want to eat I can and do. In those rare instances where I do want some junk food, I am capable of having just a little and not harming my weight. I cannot imagine going back, I don't desire to at all. Unfortunately your mother in law did not because she gave into environmental pressure.

I don't eat only meat. I eat very well. I eat heaps of veggies (and not non-nutrient crap like corn and potatoes, which were the bulk of my veggies before Atkins)... the leafy, cruciferous kind, the darkly colored veggies and fruit. I eat lots of healthy dairy (low sugar/carb preferably of course). I eat nuts every day. I haven't eaten a pork rind or slice of bacon in months . It is really a wonderful, enjoyable way to eat. I feel good.

Really, you need to wake up and shake off all the lies and propaganda you've been fed by PeTA. Stuff like rice, bread, many fruits... theres hardly anything in that other than pure sugar. No vitamins, no minerals, no efas, no complete protein. Just sugar sugar sugar. Sucrose, starch, fructose, glucose. A week or so ago I heard some vegan diet guru pontificating about the evils of animal products. He likened animal products to "cotton candy" at one point in his speech. I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of that statement. Cotton candy is pure sugar energy and no nutrition... this is exactly the kind of stuff we avoid like the plague on a LC diet, this is exactly the kind of stuff vegans eat as a staple, this is everything meat is not.

Let's see which more closely resembles "cotton candy", shall we?: a 3 oz salmon steak, or a large apple? Both have similar energy contents.

1 large apple, according to fitday:
Calories 125.08
Total Fat 0.763g (less than 1 gram of any type of fatty acids, an essential nutrient for the body to repair cells and tissues)
Protein 0.403g (less than 1 gram of any type of protein, again an essential nutrient needed for tissue anabolism)
Total Carbohydrate 32.33g , 5 grm fiber (27 grams of carbohydrate...pure sugar energy)
Vitamins & Mineral count:
Potassium 243.8mg
Vitamin A 2 % Vitamin C 20 %
Calcium 1 % Iron 2 %
Vitamin D 0 % Vitamin E 2 %
Thiamin 2 % Riboflavin 1 %
Niacin 1 % Folate 1 %
Vitamin B-6 5 % Vitamin B-12 0 %
Phosphorus 1 % Magnesium 3 %
Zinc 1 % Copper 4

... despite the rather large amount of calories, it does not contain any essential nutrient in high quantities. It has virtually no fat, no protein, and very modest amounts of vitamins and minerals. Worst, the vitamins and minerals & antioxidants the apple does have are contained almost exclusively in the low sugar skins - not the high sugar flesh. The majority of the apple is almost entirely sugar.

now let's see how the salmon steak measures up:
3 oz salmon, baked or broiled
Calories 146.01 (slightly more calories)
Total Fat 6.5g (The salmon is much higher in fatty acids, an essential nutrient for tissue anabolism and cellular function. The kind of fatty acids contained by the salmon are overwhelmingly monounsaturated, particularly the hard to get omega 3s. Unlike plant sources of omega 3, the kind in salmon are pre-formed EPA & DHA. The omega 3 in stuff like canola oil and walnuts are mostly just the precursor to omega 3s, the alpha linolec acid. The body has a hard time converting ALA into EPA & DHA.
Furthermore, this is not exclusive to salmon. All meats are very high in essential monounsaturated fatty acids, even beef. Even the saturated fatty acids contained in meats are essential for physiological function.)
Protein 20.41g (The salmon is much higher in protein, delivering 20 grams of high quality complete amino acids. The apple doesn't even have 1 gram, and it isn't even a complete source).
Total Carbohydrate 0.378g (The salmon has virtually no raw sugar energy. The apple's energy comes almost exclusively from sugar).
Vitamin & mineral count:
Potassium 336.44mg (much higher than the apple)
Vitamin A 5 % Vitamin C 3 %
Calcium 1 % Iron 4 %
Vitamin D 0 % Vitamin E 3 %
Thiamin 8 % Riboflavin 3 %
Niacin 36 % Folate 1 %
Vitamin B-6 9 % Vitamin B-12 38 %
Phosphorus 24 % Magnesium 7 %
Zinc 4 % Copper 4 %

... there you have it. The vitamins and minerals contained by the salmon totally obliterate the apple. Not only that, but the salmon's energy is in the form of complete amino acids and preformed essential fatty acids, vital structural units for the human body. The apple's energy contents are in the form of sugar.

Which one of these food items more closely resembles cotton candy? Remember, the properties of cotton candy are: high energy, exclusively from sugar, low to no protein, fatty acids, and vitamins/minerals. It's really a no brainer.

If your vegan diet is working out for you, great. But please don't try to sell us the tired old lie that meat is unhealthy, and eating nothing but high sugar/low nutrient food items is optimal for promoting health. Most of us have already tried that. We know it doesn't work. It's promoted by people with a moral or financial interested vested in that way of eating. They view meat as either morally wrong or a financial threat. I don't care about other peoples subjective moral & financial interests, I have my health to worry about.

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Fri, Aug-20-04 at 13:22.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 250/110/101 Female 4'11"
BF:unknown
Progress: 94%

Hello everyone: Just wanted to clearify my position on surgery. I do refer patients sometimes... the morbidly obese.. and only when nothing else has works. They still have to go to psy counseling.. before and after.. But the sad fact is they "think" the surgery will "cure" them forever and it doesn't.. Many patients gain most of the weight back in a few years and we see them again..
As far as the comments on the "Alaska" diet, etc... my marvelous, intelligent, huck of a man (age 74) lived there for 2 1/2 years. Oh, he also works with me (smile). He just smiled.. then laughed when he read the "quotes". Enough said.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone... I'm finished until Monday.
Hugs, Tootie