Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 08:45

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 130/130/130 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Update.

I've been adding a little more resistance exercise, and less cardio. We'll see how this holds up after a few weeks. As of now, I'm still not feeling the best. I wake up in the morning feeling tense and stressed already. I feel kind of "wired" or something - I can just tell I'm not comfortable or relaxed. I've also been noticing that my heart rate is really fast sometimes - or feels like it. After I do quick movements, like going up stairs or walking across the hall, it seems to have a period of rapid beating. And sometimes my chest feels tight or sore. Does anyone experience these symptoms as a result of stress? I'm really having a hard time figuring out how to calm myself down. There aren't enough hours in the day to focus on relaxation.

--Timothy
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 11:43
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Timothy:

Saliva tests are best for your cortisol levels. Blood tests are not the best way to test hormones. Here's a link to explain why: Saliva Testing vs. Blood testing

Having said that, I'm certainly no expert, but high blood sugar and low insulin seems like a bad combination. High blood sugars are nothing to mess around with. If you aren't making enough insulin, then of course your cortisol levels would start going through the roof.

Here's a thought. Go see an Endocrinologist (or better yet, see if there's an Endocrinologist in your area that Dr. S. recommends). See how the results turn out and then decide whether or not you agree with the recommendations. If you don't agree, maybe call Dr. S. for a telephone interview to discuss your results.

I think the biggest focus right now is to resolve the insulin/blood sugar results. From the results, it looks like you aren't making enough insulin so the sugar in your blood isn't being cleared (WHICH IS A HEALTH CRISIS, BTW). Eating more carbs won't help matters. Maybe I'm entirely wrong, but that's the way I've interpreted it.

Good luck!

Wanda

--EDIT-- the more I think about this, the more worried I get. Go to your doctor ASAP and STOP working out in the meantime until you get a clear bill of health. Something is not right. Chest tightness can be a sign of heart disease. Please post back and tell us you are going to the doctor right away so I can stop worrying.

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Aug-21-04 at 11:59.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 22:13

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks.

I understand your worry, but really that's not going to help at this point - believe me, I've worried enough for all of us.

So, Wanda, you think that the high cortisol is a result of low insulin? I was thinking the other way around, like Stress > High cortisol > Low Insulin > High Blood Sugar. Is this not a plausible conclusion?

Another question for those of you who are more knowledgable than me:

I haven't figured this out from Schwarzbein's book yet - is insulin resistance characterized by low insulin, or high insulin?

Anyone have any sweet tips for dealing with stress? I feel like I never have time for rest, and my sleep never feels like it helps much. (Like I mentioned earlier, my 9-moth-old son demands constant attention from my wife and me and he wakes us up during the night.)

I was also thinking that maybe I should just order one of Schwarzbein's ridiculously expensive metabolic tests instead of spending the money on visiting a standard endocrinologist, deciding I don't like their methods, and spending money on another doctor, etc. Does this seem like a good idea? (even though I really can't afford it )

--Timothy
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 08:53
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Timothy:

Quote:
So, Wanda, you think that the high cortisol is a result of low insulin? I was thinking the other way around, like Stress > High cortisol > Low Insulin > High Blood Sugar. Is this not a plausible conclusion?
Your blood results are indicating diabetes, not insulin resistance. It's way beyond insulin resistance. The antagonist to insulin is cortisol so yes, cortisol dysfunction can cause diabetes. This is very common in people with Cushing's disease. I was focusing on your high blood sugar b/c of its dangers.

In all honesty, if your test results are showing cortisol dysfunction, then your saliva test will probably show it. Better to save your money. If your insulin and blood sugar values weren't off, then I'd say, sure, spend your money. But there is clearly a problem. Furthermore, the saliva test only tests cortisol, not insulin. Your insulin test is the gold standard.

Quote:
I haven't figured this out from Schwarzbein's book yet - is insulin resistance characterized by low insulin, or high insulin?
Insulin resistance is characterized by high insulin in the beginning, then becomes low insulin once diabetes sets in as the pancreas fails to make insulin.

Quote:
I was also thinking that maybe I should just order one of Schwarzbein's ridiculously expensive metabolic tests instead of spending the money on visiting a standard endocrinologist, deciding I don't like their methods, and spending money on another doctor, etc. Does this seem like a good idea? (even though I really can't afford it )
I personally think you'll spend your money on those tests to be given the same advice - go see an endocrinologist. Again, I would contact Schwarzbein by e-mail and ask her to recommend an endocrinologist in your area.

Maybe you can tell us what kind of advise are you afraid of getting from a regular endocrinologist? Usually, the concern is that "adrenal fatigue" doesn't exist. Your results are telling a completely different story. We're not necessarily looking at the dietary/lifestyle component of high cortisol, but something like benign tumors, cancer or hyperplasia. The only other thought is if you are a chronic steroid medication user. At the very least you can't assume it's dietary/lifestyle until these other causes have been ruled out.

Cushing's Disease and Diabetes, left untreated, are life threatening. There's nothing more important than the price of your health.

Again, I'm no expert on Diabetes or Cushings. What I know about Cushings is from my dog, not from personal experience. Maybe you could get better support from the Diabetes board since the Schwarzbein boards aren't that active.

Best of luck,
Wanda
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 11:17
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Schwarzbein boards aren't that active

And you are currently conversing with the most knowledgeable one on SP here!! Who's married to a doctor.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 09:47

BF:
Progress:
Default Okay.

All right, so as I'm waiting to get to the doctor (and freaking out) what should I do? How do I stay alive while waiting? This stress is driving me crazy now. Chest is bothering me and sleep helps very little. I just need tips for coping in the meantime. I'll call the endo today.

--Timothy
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 15:20
Mad Scientist

BF:

Timothy, I would strongly urge you to go to the Emergency and get it looked into if you can't see your endo immediately.

Maybe it's nothing, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Please let us know how you are.

Wanda
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 17:26

BF:
Progress:
Default Found an endo.

I have an appointment with an endocrinologist tomorrow. For now I'm just keeping hope in these few facts:

- I'm only 25
- My blood sugar was at 101 (below 110 is normal)
- My insulin was only slightly under the normal range (5)

So the only real concern is the cortisol. Part of the problem is that I dig myself deeper into a hole because I stress so much about having something wrong with me. I'm just multiplying the already-existent problem.

Thanks for your concern, Wanda. I'll let you know how the endo goes.

--Timothy
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 20:22
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Timothy:

Yes, you're absolutely right. The results are only slightly off so maybe things will be ok. But better to eliminate the more serious causes. It's also better to find out what's going on instead of stressing over the though of what might be wrong. Reality gives you more of a focus than dealing with the "what ifs", right?

But I certainly can empathize with your fears. The high cortisol can't be inducive to remaining calm, cool and collected either. A huge double edged sword for you, I understand.

Best of luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you.

WAnda
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 07:57

BF:
Progress:
Default Saw the endocrinologist.

Hello, friends.

Yesterday's visit to the endocrinologist is a perfect example of why I am so dissatisfied up with the standard Western medical system. Let me summarize my appointment for you.
=====================

Doctor: Hi. I'm the doctor. Tell me what's wrong.

Timothy: <gives lengthy history of symptoms while doctor browses blood tests>

D: Hmm. The only thing that really stands out as odd here is your high cortisol level. The insulin seems okay and the blood sugar isn't high enough to be diabetic.

T: Yes. The high cortisol is the major concern. My wife and I have been following a health food plan according to Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, another endocrinologist. You might be familiar with Dr. Schwarzbein.

D: <vacant stare>

T: Okay. Um. Anyway, we exercise and eat very well, but still something is wrong with my levels.

D: Let me have you sit up on this table here. <feels thyroid, listens to breathing, etc.> I think you just have extremely high stress. You don't look like you have Cushing's Disease. You have none of the signs. Anyone on the street has the same symptoms as you - heart palpitations, etc.

T: Really? I don't know anyone who has similar symptoms to me.

D: Yeah. Everyone has this stuff. It's anxiety. But I'd like to have some more blood work done to verify the high cortisol level. That still looks strange.

T: Are you going to do saliva testing?

D: What?

T: Um, I understand from my research that it is best to have cortisol tested by saliva.

D: No no no! You can't test cortisol through saliva - only blood or urine! Whoever you're getting your information from is a crackpot.

T: Okay. Well I'm not going to have my cortisol tested by blood again.

D: That's up to you. I notice that these cholesterol levels are also very high - 251 - whatever diet your following sure isn't working!

T: Well, my HDL is high and triglycerides are low, so that's good, right?

D: Yeah - look at this HDL, I've never seen it so high! And those triglycerides are unusually low - something is wrong about these tests. I'm going to have this tested again.

T: That's all right. I'm not going to do another blood test.

D: Okay. Well, have a good day then. We're done.
==================

So now, I'm back to square one. This is the case of the typical MD. They know the same tricks they've been using for the last 40 years and know nothing about new research. They're usually good at one thing and anything outside of that thing is an enigma. So it looks like Dr. S might be my only hope. Does it seem like a good idea to get Schwarzbein's metabolic test? This way at least I could have her talk over the results with me. For now, at least I know most of my levels are okay. *sigh*

--Timothy
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 09:55
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Timothy:

Quote:
So now, I'm back to square one. This is the case of the typical MD. They know the same tricks they've been using for the last 40 years and know nothing about new research. They're usually good at one thing and anything outside of that thing is an enigma. So it looks like Dr. S might be my only hope. Does it seem like a good idea to get Schwarzbein's metabolic test? This way at least I could have her talk over the results with me. For now, at least I know most of my levels are okay. *sigh*
I disagree, you aren't back to square one. You know, at least, that this isn't a medical emergency at the moment and that should give you some peace of mind in the meantime. The problem with mentioning Dr. Schwarzbein to any traditional doctor is that they'll think you're crazy and send you out the door with Prozac. So that's not a surprise, right? You were there just to determine whether this guy was concerned about an endocrine disease and now you can rule it out. Remember, he only deals in bell curves, the most extreme cases. Although I probably would have had the test redone. Blood taken from one moment in time may not be representative of your medical state and the results (insulin, blood sugars) may have come back differently (or maybe even normal) this time.

You could get the saliva test done for your cortisol levels through other labs that are cheaper and they will send you a lab analysis. However, they won't relate your results to SP so therein lies your dilemma.

I think if it concerns you enough, get the report through SP. Your other option is to find a doctor who practices Complementary Medicine who can help you out. That's what I had to do and I never regretted it. Although they may not know of Diana Schwarzbein, their philosophies are pretty similar. You many even find someone who DOES know her or if they don't, are willing to find out who she is.

Here's a link to find a doctor in your area if you decide to go this route. http://www.acam.org/dr_search/ If you find someone in your area, maybe call the office and see if their philosophies jive with yours.

Unfortunately, whichever way you go is probably going to cost money so you'll have to decide what's best for you. In the meantime, TRY to get sleep, TRY not to stress too much and replace the cardio with relaxation exercises like yoga or mediatation until you feel yourself better able to handle stress. Yes, easier said than done, huh?

Wanda
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 12:25

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks.

I appreciate your time helping me, Wanda.

I'm just glad to know someone else can understand my plight. Alternative medicine is the only way to go, but it just costs so much. I'm sick of these insurance doctors though.

If I got the saliva test done through someone else, would that only test cortisol? Is there any way to get everything done that Schwarzbein's test would do, but cheaper? Then, couldn't I just send my results to Schwarzbein or something?

I'll look on that link you posted for a doctor near me. It seems weird to me that doctors aren't familiar with what's happening "out there". Like, if I were an endocrinologist, I would want to know what was the big thing - and now it's Dr. S. It seems like doctors are just slacking. They just want to say, "Okay, take this and if it doesn't fix the symptoms, come back and pay more money for another false guess." If you want someone to say, "Let's solve the cause of this problem," you have to pay high dollar. It's a trap.

I am glad there are people with similar thinking on this board. Your words are great, Wanda.

--Timothy
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 15:32
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Thomas:

Quote:
If I got the saliva test done through someone else, would that only test cortisol? Is there any way to get everything done that Schwarzbein's test would do, but cheaper? Then, couldn't I just send my results to Schwarzbein or something?
Dr. Schwarzbein only tests saliva for cortisol. There is no saliva test for insulin, but they must do one of those blood spot tests to measure it. You've had that done already, so it's only the cortisol test you need. There's a full panel you get that measures cortisol 4 times during the day as well as DHEA. That's a standard test provided by all the labs that test saliva.

I think someone posted back awhile ago that the tests turn out to be the same as the others, but I also thought someone else found them substantially cheaper. I think it comes down to the differences between someone analyzing the results. The cheaper tests may not give a great analysis of the results. So that one, you'll have to decide on your own.

Quote:
I'll look on that link you posted for a doctor near me. It seems weird to me that doctors aren't familiar with what's happening "out there". Like, if I were an endocrinologist, I would want to know what was the big thing - and now it's Dr. S. It seems like doctors are just slacking. They just want to say, "Okay, take this and if it doesn't fix the symptoms, come back and pay more money for another false guess." If you want someone to say, "Let's solve the cause of this problem," you have to pay high dollar. It's a trap.
Being married to a traditional doctor, but siding with complementary medicine gives me a pretty clear picture. It's not that they lack the knowledge as much as it is differences in ideology. It's such a complex issue I could write a 3 page post on it. There's a lot of turf protection, some arrogance (doctors HAVE to have a certain amount of arrogance just as elite athletes do), a lot of brainwashing from medical school, continuing education issues (brought to them by pharmaceuticals and labs) etc. In the US, (Canada isn't so much affected by this due to our Universal Health Care System, which has its own set of problems), money is also a huge issue. Of course, when medicine is reduced to the bottom line, shady stuff starts to happen.

What it comes down to is that traditional doctors treat symptoms, they look at the problem once it becomes chronic. Essentially, they deal with the bell curves (esp specialists), those people on each end of the spectrum. However, complementary doctors deal with prevention, making sure that we don't have to deal with chronic disease requiring us to seek conventional forms of medication.

It's not something you can blame the allopathic doctor for. That's the way he or she was trained. To change doctors, you'd need to overhaul the entire medical school training system. They are simply a product of that system. Legalized drug pushers.

The other issue is that MOST people don't want complementary doctors. People want a quick fix without having to change themselves. It just doesn't jive with that type of medicine. So except for a small percentage of people, allopathic medicine works. For the rest of us, we have to seek alternative medicine. I prefer this route instead of being typecast as a wingnut by some doctor who thinks chronic illness is a psychological problem.

The way I see it, once the demand for alternative medicine gets big enough, traditional doctors will take notice. It's already beginning to happen, but very slowly.

So there you have it. My view on the state of medicine today!

Let us know what you decide. If you go with the Schwarzbein tests, it would be informative for you to post your experience on the boards and maybe I'll get the mods to link your post to the sticky on SP.

Take care,

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Aug-25-04 at 15:38.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 17:27

BF:
Progress:
Default Update.

For those of you familiar with my plight, I have some new info.

My attempts to get metabolic testing with Dr. S didn't work out since they're not doing them right now. So, I contacted Dr. Andrea Purcell (www.portaltohealing.com) and I am going to have a visit with her. She actually called me on the phone in response to my e-mail and asked me all about my symptoms and listened as I told her about Dr. S, and she said she will do saliva and thyroid testing for me and perhaps put me on a homeopathic plan. Sounds cool! So hopefully the fortune she costs will be worth it.

--Timothy
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 05:59
Mad Scientist

BF:

That's great news. We'll keep our fingers crossed for ya!

Wanda