Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 10:12

Plan: Diabetic Low Carb
Stats: 165/153.5/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Well said Kyrasdad.... I'm in total agreement with you. I only wish I had known 5 years ago, what I know today. I would be healthier.... I will get there because I am low carbing and doing well. The RD that I was referred to is very well versed in low carbing. I realize that I was lucky to have found this very knowledgeable RD. I also realize that not all RD's think this way, but I do believe that things are changing!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 01:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

In response to the 'rash' he said we get on low-carb.... I was plagued with little bumps on my arms, forearms and upper arms... well guess what?... after 4 months on low-carb... they are gone!...no new ones coming at all....I also had early onset arthritis where I was into gymnastics as a child and teen (I was told this caused it, but I don't know for sure) and my hips would hurt a lot sometimes... now its been about 2 months since its flared up and I never have went so long without any problems from it....my fasting blood sugar levels have went from the 90's to the 70's (I check them because my Dad is diabetic and I want to keep from getting it if possible).... my blood pressure has went down, it was never high, but was sometimes a little over 120/80... now for more than 2 months it has been about 102/63 every day when I check give or take a couple of points either way....and my weight has went down 45 pounds in 4 months.... I am working out using Bowflex, Total Gym, a exercise ball, bellydancing workout DVD's, free weights, 6 second abs, and taking a 2 mile walk up and down hill every day.....I could not do these things before this WOE...so much for not having the energy to work out.... I admit to feeling a little weak when I purposefully reduce carbs really low to lose faster... but I can still do my work outs and I do them easily on 20 or more carbs a day.

Just wanted to share this because I know many 'lurk' like I used to when I was trying to decide if this was right for me.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 04:35

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey, I had those little bumps, too, and now they're gone! Do you have any idea what caused them?? My DH and one of my son's has them.... I would love to know why and how to get rid of them (other than Atkins)
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 10:28
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I have it too. It's called keratosis pilaris. Lovely name for "bumps"...
http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatolog...is_pilaris.html

Mine has improved somewhat as well.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 12:09

Stats: 248/233/180 Male 71 inches
BF:35/xx/22
Progress: 22%
Default New (At)kid on the board

Hi all,

I'm soooo new to this board, but just wanted to post a reply to this string. I'll try to be non-technical.

The atkins plan works. If it didn't work I wouldn't be on it.

Guess that's about it.

The new kid,
Jerry
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 20:49

Plan: Diabetic Low Carb
Stats: 165/153.5/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Welcome Mcflint! You've lost quite a few pounds already... how long have you been on Atkins? I'm just low-carbing (Diabetic), but have seriously thought of going for Atkins... still considering it!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 20:55

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

My bumps were a little different from what Potatofree posted.

They were more like little tiny pus filled dots.... I think it may have to do with a wheat allergy in my case, but I don't know for sure.... I suspected I may be allergic to wheat before because of some things I read, so maybe thats it.

Mine were also on my forearms and upper arms.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 13:22

Plan: Atkins- whole foods only!
Stats: 240/240/155 Female 1.74m
BF:56%/56%/25%
Progress: 0%

So he never even bothered to return to this thread. I.e. he was just your standard troll. Which of course says a lot about the mentality of the Atkins bashers, IMO

#39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 11:06
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Lipid, Mine where like that and were caused by my wheat reaction. When I went on low carbing at first they went away. But if you get low carb products with wheat fiber in them they do cause alittle reaction if you eat 1 more if you eat more. So I limit them to once a week if at all.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 14:32

Stats: 250/247/135 Female 5'3"
BF:Too Much
Progress: 3%

Maybe he's doing a survey for school

theanswer-Dont be bashful, come out and join us. Lots of support here! I lost about 25lbs now and healthy then ever. We know you can do it...just believe
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 14:37

Stats: 403/345/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 56%

I'm not about to read the entire soap opera that is this thread but;
1) the one common trait of all successful eating plans is that they eliminate processed foods.
2) I have had multipe dieticians recommend a very low-fat and nearly vegan program...combined with, you guessed it, supplements of all the fat-soluble vitamins, iron, calcium, and all those other important nutrients that are found in great quantities in meat.
3) Most diet 'experts' are either still clinically obese (like Dr Atkins was) or have that scary drawn-in, wrinkled face that is the hallmark of the low-fat plan. (look at any Pritikin spokesperson) Funny what happens when you drastically reduce the nutrient that the body uses to make the cell walls.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 15:03

BF:

Oh, and if anyone says LC works via some magic, they're dumb too because all LC does is make it easier to control your caloric intake. Nobody got fat because they ate one scoop of ice cream for desert or one cookie as a snack, or even a piece or two of bread. It is because like me, you couldn't limit your intake of those calorie-rich foods. Once you cut them out, you started losing weight!
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 01:40

Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%

Quote:
clinically obese (like Dr Atkins was)

... NOT! Here:
http://business2.blogs.com/business...tkins_real.html
That's him, 2 months before he died.

I don't get it... I don't care if some misinformed hungry vegan thinks good dr. A. was obese before his death, but a low-carber doing Atkins?
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 03:20

Stats: 234/141.8/149 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietSka
... NOT! Here:
http://business2.blogs.com/business...tkins_real.html
That's him, 2 months before he died.

I don't get it... I don't care if some misinformed hungry vegan thinks good dr. A. was obese before his death, but a low-carber doing Atkins?

Thank you.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 08:51

BF:

Well, luckily his death certificate is available at The Smoking Gun. 258lbs at 6ft is clinically obese. I guess we should assume it was from all those carbs the hospital pumped in to him?