Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 13:46

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 152/146/140
BF:
Progress:
Default Protein Noodles

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe026.html

what is the diffenence between wheat gluten and gluten flour? and where can I find gluten flour......found wheat gluten at my local food store but no one seems to know what gluten flour is.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Gluten

Check this out and see if this tells you what you need to know...if not let us know.

http://www.lowcarber.org/forum/show...=&threadid=5612
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 13:03

Plan: trying out my own
Stats: 285/250/150 Female 5'2"
BF:50/50/??
Progress: 26%

I just got my pasta machine (new toy!), does anyone know if this will work in a machine? Or is will it be too heavy?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 14:39

Plan: trying out my own
Stats: 285/250/150 Female 5'2"
BF:50/50/??
Progress: 26%
Default low carb pasta

This was too thick for the machine, has to be done by hand. I used the wheat gluten flour. Has anyone had any luck answering the original question?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 01:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The vital wheat gluten used in the recipe is at least 80% protein and the carbs 24 grams per cup. Gluten flour has a lower amount of protein and a higher amount of carbs. A popular and easy to find brand is Bob's Red Mill.

This recipe works with a hand cranked machine. Automatic machines need softer dough to go through the extrusion process.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 23:06

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I spotted wheat gluten at an asian market the other day, so check your's out.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-06, 22:39

Stats: 209/171/115 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I made these tonight and they were really yummy....I used them in a nice Italian seasoned beef dish with mushrooms and black olives and a small can of tomatoes and a zucchini .and a little onion and garlic and celery.........anyway..my husband said if that was an example of low carb we could stay on it forever......he went back for seconds.......

One note though......I needed a lot more than 1 TBLSP of warm water.....I lost count after 4 or 5 and just kept adding until I got a consistancy I could knead and would stick together.I use a manual pasta roller and it did work finally and came out great....but I could not get past level 4 on my machine or it shredded.... so they were a little thicker than I usually make with regular flour........I had plenty of ther noodles left for another meal and will try to invent some other new dish with the rest of them.....and you are right ....they are very filling......you really need only a small serving.......but they tasted fine........Rosey
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 18:38

Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
The vital wheat gluten used in the recipe is at least 80% protein and the carbs 24 grams per cup. Gluten flour has a lower amount of protein and a higher amount of carbs. A popular and easy to find brand is Bob's Red Mill.

This recipe works with a hand cranked machine. Automatic machines need softer dough to go through the extrusion process.

Karen

Do you have any recommendations for making the dough softer for automatic machines? Someone just gave me a pasta machine (go figure). I'm excited to know I may be able to use it.

Thank you for having this recipe available!

Cooking Cajun
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 22:04

BF:

When I made the soy noodles, I added more water than was called for in the recipe....ok...I confess....I added another egg and some extra olive oil too.......I did eventually get them to the right consistancy and they were great.........I have a Pasta Queen noodle maker......I used to have a Ronco machine ( Extruder) and I don't think these would work in it very well..the dough is pretty stiff even with the extra water.......

Now I am exploring the world of the Shirataki noodles....they are supposed to be good tasting and have a very low carb count and are also high fiber.......I am going to see if the Asian store is open tomorrow and check them out........the ones online are expensive but I don't remember the ones in the store being expensive at all.......I have seen them there......I know they have them.... I was just too chicken to buy them because I had never used them before...now......I am excited about trying them in a meal sometime this week......
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 16:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith8367
When I made the soy noodles, I added more water than was called for in the recipe....ok...I confess....I added another egg and some extra olive oil too.......I did eventually get them to the right consistancy and they were great.........I have a Pasta Queen noodle maker......I used to have a Ronco machine ( Extruder) and I don't think these would work in it very well..the dough is pretty stiff even with the extra water.......

I suppose that what I have is an extruder machine, if it pushes the dough through a pasta shape creator. So yeah, I guess I really need to know how to modify the recipe. I wish, but I can't go out and buy and hand crank model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith8367
Now I am exploring the world of the Shirataki noodles....they are supposed to be good tasting and have a very low carb count and are also high fiber.......I am going to see if the Asian store is open tomorrow and check them out........the ones online are expensive but I don't remember the ones in the store being expensive at all.......I have seen them there......I know they have them.... I was just too chicken to buy them because I had never used them before...now......I am excited about trying them in a meal sometime this week......

I use shirataki/konnyaku all the time and enjoy them very much. They are great. But I do someday want to use my pasta machine as well.

Enjoy those noodles

CC
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 09:18

BF:
Smile Shirataki noodles

I have now tried both the clear looking yam noodles and the regular looking tofu noodles.......I like them both but honestly think the tofu noodles are more......."noodley" to me........the texture is a little closer to a wheat noodle and they go great with red spagetti sauce........so I will probably use the others but will mostly stick to the ones that look and taste more like what I expect..........that water they come in is pretty nasty smelling to me..so I rinsed all that away and then tasted one right out of the rinse water and it was great............just.......a noodle............so I am for sure going back to my asian market and get more of them ...........
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 09:33

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Karen, would there be anything that would replace the soy in these noodles? I can't have soy but would like to try these noodles too...
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 10:32
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

The ordinary Shirataki noodles at miraclenoodle.com do not have soy. That is an 'extra option' of another type though they call it the same thing.

The ones at miraclenoodle have a variant that adds in the tiniest bit of some kind of seeweed... still basically zero carb in the end (close enough) but allegedly the 'black' noodles (not really that color), sauce sticks better to.

I bought one of everything on that website, so we will soon see how good the stuff is. ;-)

PJ
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 11:54

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Hi rightnow, i'm able to have easy access to the Shirataki noodles because i live in the asian community of my city.

However, i would love to be able to make my own noodles using the recipe "protein Noodles" at the top of this thread. I don't know how to replace the soy though. Would rice protein powder be able to take the place of the soy?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-07, 15:30

BF:
Default Protein Noodle Pasta Dough Recipe - Adapting to Extruder Machine?

Getting back on topic, I'm still in need of ways to adapt this protein pasta doughrecipe to use in a pasta extruder machine.

If anyone has ideas or tried techniques, please post. Or if you have a LC pasta dough recipe for such a machine, please post!!!!

Mahalo plenty (many thanks)

CC