Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Before LC, which food do you think most led to being overweight?
cereal 7 3.47%
pasta 27 13.37%
potatoes 14 6.93%
juice 5 2.48%
candy 24 11.88%
fruit 0 0%
ice cream 11 5.45%
soft drinks 25 12.38%
bread products 56 27.72%
rice 5 2.48%
cake/pastry 20 9.90%
cookies 8 3.96%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 21:26

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

Potatos, mashed or baked with butter and a side of corn. mmm..

Needless to say I don't eat that anymore.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Caloric fruit & soda drinks. I almost never drank water. Everything I drank was sweetened with sugar. If I never touched these fruit juices I probably wouldn't have been nearly as heavy as I was.

After that, I have to say starches, particularly rice and to a lesser degree pitas/bread. I would have double carbohydrates at meals... for example, I would take a pita, and stuff it with bean chilli and rice, and eat it like that. ...and a HUGE serving of rice too. Yikes.

Last, eating too many high glycemic load fruits and veggies. I would eat a bag of carrots for a snack, or 2 or 3 apples. I thought it was a healthier choice.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 19:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

To be honest my weight developed simply from a love of food and giving up trying to control my weight because I was getting nowhere. We always ate quite a bit of pasta, especially when I made it myself, and during the past couple of years our diet went to pot worse than it already was. We developed nasty habits of having things like chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and green beans (yes, green beans are good--the other stuff isn't) for supper. We also started breakfasting once a week at the Maverik store eating either breakfast burritos or sandwiches. Then Sunday afternoon would find us at a fast food place where I'd happily inhale an order of onion rings and a burger.

I was also a huge fan of tortilla chips (potato chips generally gave me a stomach ache) and absolutely love bean dip. We'd usually have chips and bean dip for lunch a couple of times a month. I also love burritos, enchiladas, etc., etc. Oddly enough, though, I don't even miss them!

When I look back on the way I was feeding my family it's no wonder I could see my girls ballooning and hubby's pant size just kept getting bigger and bigger. I know I picked up 20 pounds in there somewhere, probably over the past 5 years or so, just didn't happen to notice because it was gradual and I usually wear pretty baggy, stretchy clothes.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 02:27

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Mmmmm. You forgot beer. This is factor number one with many men.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 10:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/155/140 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:100% sure I got it
Progress: 57%

Beer, pasta, potatoes, bagels, bread, cereal. We ate all this stuff on a regular, daily basis.

Last edited by easylyvin : Sun, Jun-27-04 at 15:10.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 13:53

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

at the time i started gaining a lot of weight, those arizona green teas came out. i would sometimes drink 4 of those a day, they are loaded with high fructose corn syrup.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 14:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%

CHINESE FOOD!! Probably ate some version of Chinese food atleast 5 times a week. If in a bind for time, I would get CHINESE for lunch and then follow up with it for dinner. I GOTTA MENTION I HAD TO HAVE MY 2 EGG ROLLS!! Most of the dishes had lots of rice and lots of sugar-laden sauces. My favorite lunch order: L-24 with pork fried rice and 2 egg rolls....5 minutes!! The L-24 is boneless BBQ ribs cut into strips brushed with a mixture of chinese BBQ sauce and some other tasty spices!!

BACK THEN: LOVED IT RIGHT NOW: WOULDN'T TOUCH IT
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 14:44

Plan: Whole30
Stats: 300/269.2/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Anything covered in chocolate, so I picked the candy option.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:49

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My favorite food group was Oreo cookies washed down with Lays potato chips.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 18:54
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

You need an "all of the above" category. I will just say this, overeating CARBS made me fat. I really can't think of ANY carbs I didn't have a love affair with. When eating "normally" I would down probably 4 cups of spaghetti with meat sauce and 2 slices of garlic toast or 2 cups of mashed potatoes with butter and lots of gravy plus meat and veggies, bread and usually two helpings of a big dessert. Plus for a long long time I ate a LOT of sweets such as candy, donuts, sweet rolls. etc. About the only thing I didn't like was rhubarb pie. Since we usually had cats instead of dogs for pets, I was the official garbage disposal. Or at least I thought I was. When I REALLY wanted to binge fast I would eat one or two big Cadbury Fruit and Nut bars. They are really really big candy bars. So I guess if I were to pick one thing that was and is still a big temptation it would be anything with CHOCOLATE in it. Also FAST FOOD (hamburgers, fries, milkshakes, pizza, etc) were a big factor in me gaining weight.

Last edited by fluffybear : Mon, Jun-28-04 at 19:01.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 07:53

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

It's not on your list, but one word says it for me...."FAST"!

judy
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 10:45

Plan: low carbing
Stats: 191/173/155 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 50%

I use to eat a piece or 4 of bread at each meal. I love bread, rolls, garlic bread etc and as I ate them i noticed the scale going up, up and up. so now I am only eating 1 slice every other day.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Lack of exercise.
Ever since I got hooked up with the internet 7 yrs ago, my physical being has suffered. I find it more enjoyable to read newspapers, forums, research than i do getting out there and walking around the block 4 times in an hour. And forget sweating and getting dehydrated, and sun burned, and.... dirtying my clothes... and then having to wash them, iron them, put them away.....

ohhhhh to be skinny again.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 08:13

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I have to say fast food, McDonalds, Subway, loved them, had them a few times a week!
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 10:10
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I really don't thing I overdid it with food...My family is all pretty thin..DH = 40yrs DS = 17 yrs DD = 15yrs. I always have made well balanced meals for them and myself.
My downfall wasn't even on the list. Beer! I absolutely
l-o-v-e beer!
I was drinking enough beer to be pounding the weight on.
Now that I am lc'ing ...I have the odd lc beer but I don't care to overdo it any more b/c I am so excited about my weight loss.
I look back on it now and know that my Dr. A's experience may have saved me from an issue with alcohol as well as an issue with weight.
I also drank a lot of softdrinks...mixed with of course alcohol.