Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 09:33

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

I am soooo glad I finally tried Adkins. I am AA and I always get thin white women in my office saying to me when I mention I'm watching what I eat is "Oh, you look fine! " all the while they are jogging on there lunch hours or just having a salad with no protein.
Well, yes I know that most black men do like the bootah but I have diabetes in my family tree and I've heard the phases too" A dog don't want on bone" yup. That may be true but I want meat on my bones not jiggly cellutite! I don't want to die young like my mother and grandmother did with heart disease and diabetes so it goes beyond looks and seriouly goes to do I want to live a long healthy life or do I want to be like my mother having to pills and shots and in and out of the hospital the last 3 years of her life?

I choose health!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 03:27

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Congratulations Catcookie on your resolve. AA women look good thin. No matter how healthy "thin" you get, you will always have that AA backside. You don't have much to lose. You will also find that alot of our soul food is low carb and some of it can be altered. I have greens and fried chicken all the time. I just use soy flour for the breading. Like I heard Sinbad, the comedien, say once "Black folks gotsta have meat!!!" This way of living is for us, IMHO.

My family tree has many diabetics hanging from it also. One of them is my younger sister.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 11:30

Plan: My own
Stats: 275/250/230 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
AA women look good thin. No matter how healthy "thin" you get, you will always have that AA backside.

Thank GOD for that!

Quote:
My family tree has many diabetics hanging from it also. One of them is my younger sister.

My mother has had diabetes every since I was born and my father has had diabetes for last three years. I really think lc is the only way I'll lose the extra weight. I'm like you, "gotta have meat". the more the better. I've tried to make soy flour gravy many different ways, but none of them are very good. I've since just went back to gravy using white flour and really limit my portions. If someone comes up with a really good way of making a lc gravy that actually tastes decent, please let me know.

Anyway, a couple of recipes I usemost found in this forum)

PorkChops breaded with finely crushed pork rinds after dipping in an egg-wash. I've also used this for fried chicken also. Tastes like Shake-n-Bake.

Green Beans cooked with bacon and butter.

CarbQuick pancakes brushed with cinnamon butter are great; especially with DaVinci Syrup.

At work, I usually eat a fresh green salad with cucumbers, crumbled bacon(not bacon bits), egg, broccoli, cauliflower, and buffaloed chicken breast. The chef here at work will slice the breast and buffalo it. People know when I'm in line now because their sinuses open up

G'luck all.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 12:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

CarbQik makes great roux and gravy.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 13:14

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
You will also find that alot of our soul food is low carb and some of it can be altered.

So true, and thank goodness it is! Not that I expect to find an LC chicken and dressing recipe that can compete with the real thing, but between the traditional recipes we've inherited, the adjustments we can make - and of course portion control when you've just GOT to have it mom's way - we actually have some pretty decent food choices at the dinner table.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 09:16

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

Quote:
CarbQik makes great roux and gravy.

Really? where can I find this product?
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 09:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Netrition.com carries it. There's an entire thread on its use
here:http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...threadid=255923
and the recipes are here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...threadid=277911
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 09:40

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My DH made a very good gravy using soy flour. I am sure that he toasted the flour first. I tried making it and it was awful. George Stella ( Low Carb and Lovin' It ) makes gravy with cream. He just pours cream into the meat drippings and it is not bad at all.

I have more to say but it is time to go to work. I will be back later.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 10:39

Plan: Mod SB / Perricone
Stats: 227/145/135 Female 70 inches
BF:33%/17%/15%
Progress: 89%

WAnted to bump this to the top has been too long just sitting and not being observed.

Interesting information here.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 15:17

Health watch everyone Sure it looks good but it looks even better to be ALIVE

Eat Well ALL
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 09:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 174/169/153 Female 5ft 7.5 inches
BF:26%
Progress: 24%

CatCookie, isn't it funny how white women will tell a black woman she looks good and shouldn't lose weight, meanwhile they are either trying to lose weight themselves, or praise the size 2 or 4 white women they know?

My mother died at the age of 58 from various obesity induced diseases: high blood pressure, diabetes, severe heart disease (she needed a heart transplant). I gained 20lbs last year due to disappointment over not being admitted into law school. I am slowly losing it. I am down to a size 10/12. It isn't my size 8 wardrobe, but I will get back there. I had a white woman tell me the other day that I am too tall to be a size 8. I told her that I look GOOD at size 8 and she said "who wouldn't look good", but continued to tell me that "you look fine". I stand 5"7 inches tall. I am a medium height woman. Meanwhile, she is only 1/2 shorter than I am, but has gained about 45lbs (she regained the 35 she lost on weight watchers and welcomed ten more onto her hips).
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 00:35
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 140/138/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think AA's have the same problem as we Indians do (from India) -- our traditional diet is based on grains, pulses and veggies -- very very hi-carb -- with proteins only as a small side-dish. Whereas the Western traditional diet is based on proteins, with veggies being the side-dish. The problem with the affluent west is that they have a lot of carby, cheap junk food, so that's what's causing their weight problems. Whereas, it is our traditional foods that's the culprit for us. According the WHO, India has the second largest Type 2 diabetes in the world, the first being China -- and both countries have high carb foods as their traditonal food.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 08:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 174/169/153 Female 5ft 7.5 inches
BF:26%
Progress: 24%

Butterly, I did not know about the high rate of Type 2 Diabetes in both India and China. It is very important information in favor of lowering high carb foods.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 140/138/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

veritas, yes, absolutely. But, the trouble is how do you lower carbs if your traditional eating habit is carb? In most societies, eating is not just about putting food in the belly, but has a lot of cultural connotations that people adhere to. Plus, western junk food -the McDonalds, the Burger Kings -- has come to stay too, which is popular, especially with the younger crowd. And on top of that, there is hardly any info out there about low-carbing -- in fact, there's a lot of the usual bunk about cutting down fat and eating "healthy" vegetarian -- no wonder there is Type 2 Diabetes in such an epidemic form. Every second person I talk too is either pre-diabetic or a full blown one...
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 05:27

Hi Butterfly and Veritas
I know that had it not been for my pre diabetes( Syndrome X)
father and sister on insulin, I probably would have not adapted this way of eating. I do not want to go the way of the insulin and want to get off blood pressure pills and my best avenue is to get this weight off.

I too fluctuate in the size 12 clothing currently and I am 5 ft 10. I think the reason I get the you are skinny enough is because of my height but I just smile and nod and say thank you :0 Given the fact that I was inching into the 22 size when I started I am so very happy and blessed I am not striving for some size of clothing , it has been so long since I weighed under 150 that I will probably surprise myself with what size I will be wearing.

Veritas you are so correct about other races telling black women to stay "THICK" oh my if I hear it one more time

Hope to see you ladies here again I just kept bumping this up because it is all about the health and if we don't have that what do we have.

take care....