Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

and 3 hours a day of "recreational" cardio....I think that is over kill for such a small amount of carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowCarbJ
Why do body builders and long distance endurance runners have different body shapes? Because they live different fitness lifestyles!

Body builders are definitely heavier. Long distance endurance runners can't afford to carry that much unneccessary weight. Unneccessary for them! Long distance endurance runners prefer quickness and nimbleness over power and strength.

Now to me, this is just another perpetuation of the myth of the bulky bodybuilder.

When I ran, I weighed 170 pounds.

Now that I bodybuild, I have a 26 inch waist and at 5'8", I hover under 140 pounds. I also eat over 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight.

And keep in mind, Vanity doesn't bodybuild AT ALL - she's an endurance athlete. Endurance activity has given her what you seem to think of as a bodybuilder's body. And we know your opinion of bodybuilder's bodies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
If I woke up tommorrow and magically had the body of an elite body-builder. I would start a program of losing muscle-mass immediately.

You ARE correct that the type of exercise performed is reflected in the body. The problem is that we tend to self-select these activities. In other words, your body may have a great deal of difficulty gaining mass, while endurance-type exercise agrees with you. Mine does exactly the opposite.

This is not a randomized experiment - we cannot determine cause and effect - only association.

I rather suspect we end up drawn into the activities we do because our bodies are inclined to work that way, and it therefore agrees with us.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

LocarbJ, good point about the 20 carbs. I'll try my workout plan plus lower carbs and see if that doesn't help the fat loss.

I don't mind Built discussing her problems here too, I'm learning especially since some of your concerns are my concerns.

But i have done some reading on the topic. i was as the public library for 3 hours last night, (I felt like i was in college again). I've decided to change my workout plan a bit. Realized that the reason I have been gaining weight in my workout plan is because of High impact aerobics. They tend to bulk up a person of my body type first, before I see weight loss results. That can be discouraging, especially since I have 17 pounds to go before I hit goal.

Anyway, no more step aerobics, too high impact and it was making my thighs bulky. No more running, also adding bulk to the thighs. I'm now lifting heavier weights more often to add definition to my upper body and to create a more even look between upper and lower half. Doing some resistance training on the lower half, but using lighter resistance with high reps. Better on the joints and more likely to burn the fat under the already present muscle.

I'm still doing the marathon and there is nothing wrong with walking 26.2 miles. I'm perfectly fine with that. I just don't want to have to repair damage later that training for this marathon could do to me in the long run. I don't want to be a career marathoner. I just want to be healthy. Plus I have ACL and cartledge injuries in both knees. I don't want to do more damage. I'm a little sad about not running, but my goal was to finish this marathon, raise the funds for cancer and get healthy all at the same time. I can still do that, I just have to take a different fitness route.

Now if anyone has any other suggestions, I welcome them. Or any books I should pick up. I did check out the "Slow burn" book at the library (thanks J). Built, you said that you did some reading and research, what books did you read?

Thanks everyone, this has been awesome help...a bit confusing but it was great to hear all the opinions.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity3
I weighed 160 pounds 3 weeks ago before I started my running program and weight training. I didn't gain inches but I did gain 7 pounds of lean muscle in that time....I guess. My clothes fit better and I feel great. Despite the weight gain

Vanity, this part is where I get nervous. I might be totally wrong here, but I don't think it's possible for a woman to gain 7 pounds of lean muscle in 3 weeks without steroids and without resistance exercise. In my first YEAR of HEAVY lifting, I am cautiously optimistic that I MIGHT have gained 12 pounds of lean muscle. I hope beyond hope that another 4 or 5 might have managed to make it onto my body in the next YEAR. If I can pack another 2 or 3 onto my body THIS year, I'll be thrilled. I'm not saying it's fat, and I'm not SURE the muscle gain hypothesis is impossible, but I gained like this when I ran, too. I think we were separated at birth!

Edited to say

Vanity, I hadn't read your most recent post when I posted this one. I think you have a very good plan underway. And it really IS confusing trying to wade through it all. No doubt about it.

Enjoy your marathon prep! This is going to be an amazing experience for you!

- Built
  #95   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:31

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

I've gained over a lb per week lean before, but I was lifting. Some of both of ours is/was probably water, tho. On my last BFL Challenge (12 weeks), I gained.... are you ready?.... a tad over 10 lbs of lean while losing about 25 of fluff.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:34
Registered Member

BF:

Fridayeyes, you would be the most hated woman on a hardcore BB board LOL! Your ability to make gains is AWESOME!

And Vanity, thank you for your generosity of spirit in sharing your thread.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:36
Registered Member

I know vanity had Bio testing forher bodyfat, what method did you use friday, cause I am with Built on thi sone. The natural female athlete is lucky to put on 3-5 lbs a year after the intial honeymoon period where they first start lifting.

I would guess if you have extremely high test levels then it might be more likely, that would be typical of a female with more of their Bf on the top half vs the lower half, higher estrogen levels usually mean more lower body fat in women. I do not know either of your folks fat distribution patterns so that is just some extra info.
  #98   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:37

BF:

ROFL, newbie gains, tho. But yeah, keto diet and gaining 10 lbs lean? They'd string me up and make voodoo dolls for sure. Also gained that much during my first CKD cycle, gave most of it back, regained it just now. Would like to top off my mass at 140 if I can....

EDIT: Bf testing - tape measure backed up with calipers. When fat, I think I'm an apple or an 'all over' rather than a spoon/pear. When thin, very hour-glass. Even "Barbie". I can get to size 8 hips, but the bust keeps the top at size 14ish.

In college, my dad was a power-athelete type - gymnast, sprints, long jump. My mom was more softball/volleyball, but both had athletic related scholarships. Little ones, tho, nothing big-league. Dad is still fit. Mom probably weighs 300 lbs.

Cheers,

Friday

Edit - link to pics. Fair warning - I am NOT lean. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177568

Last edited by fridayeyes : Thu, May-20-04 at 12:06.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:00

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

I ran a marathon at 232 lbs and 12% bodyfat ... in 4 hours ... just to prove I could run a marathon.

Let's not perpetuate stererotypes.

Vanity, if you are training for a marathon ... follow your marathon training program. On your cross training day, add in weight training. This will help you with your running.

As for a bodyfat level, I say shoot for 17% as a mini-goal, see how that looks ... then if you want to go deeper, go. This lifestyle is more about the journey and self-exploration more than it is about a magic number.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:05
Registered Member

what he said !!!

and Friday..good progress girl
  #101   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

Wow Friday, I can really see the difference in your pics. Good for you girl!

Now some of you guys mentioned that you think Janet J. "juiced" what is that exactly? And it my goal of having a body like that too lofty?

can I change this....

to this!

I hope with the new plan I developed I can.
  #102   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:14

BF:

Juice means they think she's doing illegal steroids. And yes, you can have an awesome body, even w/o 'roids.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:15
Registered Member

BF:

What liftn said.

And thanks Trainerdan, for dropping by.

4 hours at 232 lbs. A juggernaut is an unstoppable force. I think that'll be my new nickname for you.

Vanity, cross-training is the bomb for performance! You'll LOVE what it does for you. I couldn't BELIEVE how well I could crank up hills on my bike after I started working my quads to death in the weightroom. Totally blew my husband away when I first blew past HIM (doesn't happen anymore - he works HIS quads now LOL!)

And Friday - Nice leggies, girlie!
  #104   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:18
Registered Member

BF:

Vanity, your body is going to be SMOKING hot very, very soon! You have the natural ability to pack on muscle that most women don't have, hence the steroids.

I can't WAIT to see progress pix of your upper body as you start really working it.

I also can't wait to hear a full accounting of your upcoming marathon. You do BIG things! I LOVE that about you!
  #105   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:20

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

what they said. they got to it first.