Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: was atkins
Stats: 68//65 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Have you lost weight?

I switched over from the McDougall (high carb, very low fat vegan) to Atkins, but found I actually lost faster with McDougall. I am curious if anyone here has lost doing a veggie low-carb version of Atkins and much they lost?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: reduced carb
Stats: 133/96/96 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I think it depend on your starting weight, right? Usually people loose fast at if they start from a higher number. I am not losing anything now even though I eat less than 50g carbs/day (I shouldn't loose), but I did lost from 135 to 96 on a semi-lowcarb, strict veg diet
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 17:22

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Haven't tried either, but I've lost 15 pounds in 10 weeks on the CKD... vegetarian.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 17:32

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeNo
I switched over from the McDougall (high carb, very low fat vegan) to Atkins, but found I actually lost faster with McDougall. I am curious if anyone here has lost doing a veggie low-carb version of Atkins and much they lost?

I actually had done McDougall for a while before Atkins not to try to lose weight but just because I felt better about eating vegan. Atkins felt wrong at first and I really had to work at getting over the whole low-fat / no dairy thing. Physically I feel so much better doing Low-carb. I also lost about 40 lbs in roughly 4 months doing a vegetarian version of Atkins. I can't say that I EVER had that kind of results with McDougall. I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by innermusic
Haven't tried either, but I've lost 15 pounds in 10 weeks on the CKD... vegetarian.
Heh heh... I was just looking at my own post and it struck me that 15 pounds in 10 weeks doesn't sound like much. So I should add that approximately 11 lb was BF and less than 4 lb was LBM. But most most important was that I was around 15% BF when I started the diet, so things happen much more slowly from that kind of beginning, especially if you're trying to preserve muscle mass.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 21:24

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have lost quite a bit doing an atkins vegetarian version. It is easy for me to follow and keep track of. I did alter it a little in the beginning but whatever works for you right!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 19:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 251/232/100 Female 60
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoiles
I have lost quite a bit doing an atkins vegetarian version. It is easy for me to follow and keep track of. I did alter it a little in the beginning but whatever works for you right!

How did you alter it? Did you eat soy products? How many veggies did you eat a day?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 21:04

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I did alter induction a bit by eating soy products and eating more than the three cups of vegetables (at first I did count the carb content of how much I did eat of them though)

I think induction would be hard to do following the initial guidelines very strictly, and I think it would be hard to get enough protein in.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 14:06
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 205/175/170
BF:
Progress: 86%

I lost weight when I was on low fat vegetarian plans, but I could never keep it up, because I felt so awful.

I think because of my genetics (diabetes is rampant in my family), I just can't tolerate lots of carbs. I've tried them all - Insulin Resistance diet (after a while - too high in carbs for me, I started having those awful blood sugar fluctuations), I went on SugarBusters and never lost weight and felt awful (too many low glycemic high carb foods). I went on Weight Watchers and counted points and felt even worse. Starving all the time, etc.

After much experimentation, I've finally realized my body likes, no craves, a lot of protein and fat and very little carbs, but I've discovered it doesn't matter if the protein is from meat or soy or dairy, so I cut out all flesh foods. I do eat a lot of fats, trying to focus on healthier mono fats; they just make me feel satisfied.

I do eat unlimited low-starch veggies, a trick I learned from the wonderful little book The Four Week Carb Conscious Book and Cookbook by Kate Street. She recommends NOT counting veggie carbs in your total, because they are so healthy, high in fiber, and with great fat-burning properties. And this way you get to spend your carbs on other good stuff! I eat 40 net carb grams a day. Like I said, I don't count low-starch veggies or fats like cream, cheese, etc. like some other folks do. So my true carb count is obviously higher. But it works for me!

I just feel so much healthier being a low carb vegetarian. I realize now when I tried going veggie in the past, I felt awful because I just wasn't eating enough protein. Once I upped my protein (by default on a low carb diet), I just felt great! It can be done!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 14:56

Absolutely it can be done. Do you find that you are in ketosis with your not counting the veggie carbs and carbs from dairy?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 205/175/170
BF:
Progress: 86%

Honestly, I don't know if I am in ketosis or not because I never tested. I agree with the authors of Protein Power who don't put much emphasis on ketosis. I know many disagree and find this a great motivating factor, but I just never did test.

But I'm slowly losing weight, and more important I feel great! That book I mentioned, the Four Week Carb Conscious Book by Kate Street (hope I have her name right), is just part of a fitness package off the website www.lowcarbexercise.com. The husband and wife team who run this website have tons of great advice on lowcarbing. They're the ones who convinced me of the benefits of eating lots of veggies without counting. They are also fitness trainers with university degrees in nutrition as well, who believe wholeheartedly in lowcarbing. They even have their own low carb radio show in Connecticut, back east, and are authors and contributors to the two low carb magazines out on the magazine stands, Low Carb Living and Low Carb Energy.

I plan to order their full fitness package in a month or so. Right now I receive their monthly cd's which are recordings of their low carb radio show. Very informative and insightful! But I am fully aware exercise is the other half of the equation!...boy have I drifted off-topic! Sorry, I am rather energetic today!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 16:30

If you're losing weight, it must be working.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:15

Plan: high protein diet
Stats: 140/140/136 Female 5ft 2inches
BF:
Progress:

HI, I'm very new to all this and have stumbled across this site by accident. I've been semi-veggie (I still eat fish on occasion)for about 6 years or so now. LIke someone else said I'm veggie as I don't feel good eating meat - nothing to do with cute animals/animal rights etc - and I'm permanently blocked up and bloated. However, I think I'm probably addicted to carbs and could live off a diet of porridge, museli, pasta, brown rice etc.

Anyway!!! Having surfed the net a bit yesterday I have bought the "New High Protein Diet"book as 1) lots of people commented that it was easier to follow than Atkins, b) you are allowed 40g of carbs c) Red wine is permitted. I'm planing on starting Friday as I have a family party Thursday. I would be so greatful for any help/advice/tips/examples of what you eat on an average day etc. I like pretty much everything!

Thanks xx
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: Pesco vegetarian/lowcarb
Stats: 180/175/127 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 9%

[B]
I have lost 10lbs. , i would prefer mcdougall over atkins, He is more with my plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeNo
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: Pesco vegetarian/lowcarb
Stats: 180/175/127 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am called a Pesco veggie, no such thing as a semi , I use to call myself that also, i don't eat red, meat, poultry, or pork, fish and some seafood/shrimp only etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyg22
HI, I'm very new to all this and have stumbled across this site by accident. I've been semi-veggie (I still eat fish on occasion)for about 6 years or so now. LIke someone else said I'm veggie as I don't feel good eating meat - nothing to do with cute animals/animal rights etc - and I'm permanently blocked up and bloated. However, I think I'm probably addicted to carbs and could live off a diet of porridge, museli, pasta, brown rice etc.

Anyway!!! Having surfed the net a bit yesterday I have bought the "New High Protein Diet"book as 1) lots of people commented that it was easier to follow than Atkins, b) you are allowed 40g of carbs c) Red wine is permitted. I'm planing on starting Friday as I have a family party Thursday. I would be so greatful for any help/advice/tips/examples of what you eat on an average day etc. I like pretty much everything!

Thanks xx