Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 21:22

Plan: CAD
Stats: 370/342/200 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default the heller's (seemingly) about face

i remember richard and rachael on oprah back in 98 or 99 when the CAD was gaining tremendous popularity. i remember oprah asking them about the reward meal and she asked them if people could have anything they wanted and they both replied yes. she asked again in disbelief and they both said yes again.

now they have totally taken that philosophy out of the diet and i do think that is a good thing. but what do you think was the impetus to this change? was it flack from the people on the diet? flack from the scientific community? i've always wondered about this.

cheers,
samantha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 06:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'd expect it could be because too many people didn't read the 'fine print' about the RM. That you COULD eat anything BUT all the foods had to be in a particular proportion - the 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3

Perhaps they've clarified that ? I'll have to go and look at their site.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 06:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

no, in the original book, it has a peach color cover, they say you can eat anything you want , but it should be a well balanced meal. they do not mention, 1/3 1/3 1/3 or i probably wouldnt have done this. it even says , you want dessert? have two. it really does say that. i am sticking to the eat what you want, it is the only thing that will keep me on this way of eating. now i noticed just yesterday, by giving myself permission to eat what i want, i ate less. like i wanted pringles chips, well i had 3 of them and stopped. i just wanted to be able to eat them so at my reward meal i did. and i love roasted sunflower seeds with no shell, instead of eating half the jar like i usually did, i settled for a handful and i didnt want anymore, on this way of eating i know i can have what i want, it is just helping me to not binge on the carbs anymore.

now granted, i have tried this so many times before, but i guess my mind just wasnt really in it. i have just begun to really commit to this, and i know it can work. i had always made my reward meal a one hr binge, that is not what this is about, and as soon as i realized that, it is beginning to work. so i am sticking with the orginal book. after all that is the one that the hellers lost their weight on right?? i am 39 and have no medical problems, so that is why i am sticking to the original. now i havent actually started to lose weight yet, cause i did cheat 3 days last week, i feel better when i am right on program. i will keep you updated.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 06:52

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Interesting,

The CAD book I use has a white cover and was copyrighted in 1991, can I ask you when that peach one came out? I had thought my book was the original, but it clearly states that the reward meal should be balanced, even though there are a few places in the book that also make it sound like you can have anything and everything, in any balance you like.

My RMs are pretty much always carb-heavy, but not near as bad as they used to be. I am a work in progress, I guess
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:00

BF:

i cannot find the copywright date?? where is it? i am not a big book fan, i dont read alot.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:02

BF:

oh i found it, 1991
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:04

BF:

hmmmmm i never saw the white cover. does yours have a picture of rachels before and after picture on the back of the inside cover??
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:26

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default hmmm

Nope, no picture of before/after, just after. I suppose the book was successful so they did another printing. The one I have was copyrighted in 91, but printed in 93, so there you go.. there could have been some changes made.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:30

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 156.9/149.3/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default You're right!!!

I also have the original CAD book and it is a peachy color with Racheal on the back w/her before/after picture, copyright '91.
I agree that the original plan works for me...the idea of allowing carbs during the RM intrigued me. My test results say I'm a moderate carb addict, but I feel like a severe!!!
Anyway, I just started this past Monday, and I'm down 2 lbs already. So it does work, and I'm sticking with it. Plus, I'm a vegetarian.
I also agree that this is what worked for the Hellers in the beginning...I think people were making the RM into a pigfest and they had to do some fine tuning...just my guess. Good luck to all of you trying CAD/CALP. It's the only thing that's gonna work for me
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:34

BF:

me too, i was one of the ones who made the reward meal a pigout fest.LOL, but i didnt need the plan to change, i just had to get in control of myself!! i agree this is the only plan that is going to work for me, congrats on the 2 lbs gone.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 08:06
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Samantha:
I guess I am confused by your post. I have all the Hellers books, and while the balancing of the RM gets a lot more emphasis in CALP and CAHHP (my two favorites), you can still have whatever carbs you want for your RM.
The brand new Heller book (7 Day Rescue?) is really not a CA book, but it seems to me to be directed at other LC dieters who are stuck or off plan. I read it yesterday,and did not really care for it and don't see it as much of a help for me.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 16:04

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

This is really an interesting thread.

I agree with Willbethin in that I think the emphasis was not on balance and quite a few passages really make one feel as if they can do exactly as they please for one hour. Truthfully, I think maybe that's the key to the control. When we are set free in our minds we can let go of the large portions/ unbalance meals and steer naturally to a healthier way of eating.

It has not been uncommon for us to deal with the "kid in the candy store" syndrome here. Many have experienced that unharnessed need to eat all the things we've missed over the years, but eventually we gain control and do fine. I don't overobsess about balance all the time. It usually just naturally goes that way.

I have always tended to be more CAD than CALP because I just don't want so many rules. That's what's keeping me sane and happy and very slowly losing weight.

Deb
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:54

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

The CAD book that I have is one of the orginal also. It does not say anything about the 1/3's. All it says is to make sure you eat a balanced RM, and that is all they say. Mine is like Willbthin's and it says you can eat desserts, in fact you can eat 2 desserts. I didn't even find out about the balancing into 1/3's until after I had been on CAD for several months. I lost anyways.

I have also heard that the Heller's stated that if they had a choice they would recall all of the orginal CAD books as a lot of people went way overboard with their RM. I think that is why they revised CAD and put more empahsis on balancing.

My book is copyrighted 1991 and it has a white cover.

I just ordered their new book last night.. DARN, I wish I would have known that it would not be much help. OH well, maybe I will find some interesting reading in it anyways.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: carnivorous?
Stats: 212/204/190 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default How Rachel lost her weight

In the autobiography portion of the paperback edition that I have, Rachel Heller said that she lost her weight by eating only one meal a day, at night. This was because of a forced one day fast that she had to take because of a medical exam, and that she simply continued on this way til she ultimately lost 150 #. She then says that she doesn't expect others to follow such a strict regimen, hence the CAD.

I know two people personally who have both lost over 100# following the regimen of eating just once a day, with an hour long walk each day, either at lunch or in the morning. A more organized version, if you will, can be found in a book titled "The Warrior Diet", by Ori Hofmekler. Ori advocates eating fresh fruits and vegetables during the day until the evening meal, but does allow a small portion of protein for those who are hungry or "feel deprived." I would recommend skipping the fruit for the CA, and snack on cheese or nuts if you get really hungry and choose to follow this plan.

The book is available in regular bookstores now, although it was initially published by Dragondoor.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 00:50
Chana

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default unbalanced RM

I've enjoyed reading this thread. The first book I read by the Hellers was CALP, but I also saw that Oprah where they said those things about being able to do anything at RM.

I believe that if you REALLY don't cheat during the day and eat any carbs at all, by the time you get to your RM you won't WANT to binge because your insulin will stay in control. I know that this has happened to me. Like someone else said, they intended to eat chips or seeds or whatever and then just wanted a few - I've had it happen that all day I looked forward to eating Oreos at RM and then didn't even feel like continueing after ONE BITE. I thought I was going nuts! So I'm thinking that people who made the RM into a "pigfest" were actually ALSO cheating during their other meals and snacks. Otherwise their bodies would not have allowed them to eat so many carbs at RM. Does this make sense? Also, I agree with the person who said that even though they haven't lost any weight, they just FEEL better doing this diet. I have lost weight on it - then gained it back when I went off it, and now I'm trying again. So far - no loss, but as you said, I feel SO much better I (almost) don't care. I believe it will come off, and meanwhile, feeling better is certainly a bonus.
Hannah