Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 01:27
Registered Member

Plan: Aktins / GHF
Stats: 154/151/165 Male 175cm
BF: 20% 20% 10%
Progress: -27%

On my high carb days I use 2 tbls whey 1/2 banana 1/2 appel 1/2 cup of high fibre bran 2 strawberry's, 1 glass water, great thick shake.
On low carb day's I use 2 tbls 1/2 apple, blended in water then use it to make my porridge, great ways to start the day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 11:07

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

all of the protein powders I am finding are very high carb. Where can I find low carb protein powder
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 11:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Rick-

I have lc whey protein powders I bought from GNC & another one from Sams Club. Did you try either one of those places? Other people have bought from Costco.

I have protein everyday either in a shake or mixed in my yogurt. I have to have it. My whey protein is 3-4 net carbs.

Good luck.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 11:34

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I haven't actually tried to look at either place. I am just starting to work out and do resistance training and I need to make sure I am getting enough protein to maintain my lean body mass. the only problem is I don't know the formula for figuring it out. Someome told me 150 grams of protein. However, if I did that, with the 70% fat / 25% protein / 5% carbs which is recommended, I would have to eat 4,482 calories! That is way too much for me
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 12:10

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Rick,

While I can't help you with the whey protein because I'm not in the US, I can point you in the direction of a protein calculator:

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/too...emid=19&catid=9

and this link is also good for working out various body/diet calculations:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

... if you scroll down, there's an explanation about the amount of protein required per day.

HTH
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: Standard Keto
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6 FT 1 IN
BF:33/33/16
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinTN
I haven't actually tried to look at either place. I am just starting to work out and do resistance training and I need to make sure I am getting enough protein to maintain my lean body mass. the only problem is I don't know the formula for figuring it out. Someome told me 150 grams of protein. However, if I did that, with the 70% fat / 25% protein / 5% carbs which is recommended, I would have to eat 4,482 calories! That is way too much for me

The formula is simple. You only need 1-1.5g of protein a day for each lb of LBM.

I typically take in about 240g of protein. Little over, but good for me. My fat is typically around 40-50g of fat (of that, 15% is saturated usually) and 75g of carbs.

As far as where to get whey - whatever you do, DO NOT buy from GNC. They are about 30% more expensive then anywhere else. Get from somewhere like Vitamin Shoppe, Costco, or similiar stores. Even Wal-mart carries whey protein.

You can also buy online for MUCH less then in the stores.

dpsnutrition.com
islandsupplements.com
bulknutrition.com

And there are tons more..
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 06:47
Registered Member

Plan: Standard Keto
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6 FT 1 IN
BF:33/33/16

To edit my post: GNC is great if you dont like your flavor. They have a 30 day guarantee..
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 192/188/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Mounds Bar Protein Shake

I mix
vanilla protein powder
either one ounce ricotta cheese or cream cheese
1 tsp - 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
splash Da Vinci coconut syrup
1 T unsweetened coconut
ice
water

6-8 carbs

It is filling and the perfect dessert around 8pm
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 09:08

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

These sound great.

I put my liquid supplements, ground flax seed, , 1 tsp EVOO, protein powder (0 carbs, 50 grams of protein), some pumpkin, spices and water to make protein shake. Instead of the pumpkin and spices I replace that with frozen unsweeten berries or Lean Sobe.

Last edited by montanasun : Wed, Aug-30-06 at 09:46.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 04:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/150 Male 10 ins
BF:
Default shake

Hi Demi,

I used to use Aktins Advantage when i was on low carb last year but fell off the wagon and am now trying to get back but i understand that Aktins have stopped making the Advantage shake in powder form.

As you are in the UK can you please tell me where to get the Whey powder - i am in London.

Thanks for the help
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 04:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghji
Hi Demi,

I used to use Aktins Advantage when i was on low carb last year but fell off the wagon and am now trying to get back but i understand that Aktins have stopped making the Advantage shake in powder form.

As you are in the UK can you please tell me where to get the Whey powder - i am in London.

Thanks for the help

I usually buy mine in powder form from Holland & Barrett. They currently have an offer on at the moment where they are selling the tubs for £9.99 rather than the usual £21.99. But you'd better get there quick, as I've just looked on their website and that particular offer finishes today!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 03:12

Stats: 210/210/150 Male 10 ins
BF:

Thanks for the help Demi
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 17:36

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

I normally choose a protein powder that is under 2g carbs and then add 2 tablespoons of flaxseed, 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil and then frozen berries. This is with either a dilute unsweetened cranberry water (about 2g carbs) or water and cream combo. Sometimes, I use left over chai tea (steeped longer than normal) with cream and the flax. For the chai tea smoothie, I use a vanilla protein base.

Sometimes with the berries, I will have it in a chocolate protein base, sometimes in a strawberry protein base and sometimes in a vanilla protein base. Try to mix it up so that each morning it is a little different.

I use Bob's Mill plain whey protein in addition to up the protein content without upping the carb content. More protein powder equals a creamier and thicker shake.

Last edited by articshark : Mon, Mar-12-07 at 18:48.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 17:41
Operation Ann 2013

Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Recipes sound good Demi thanks for sharing!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 06:18
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Sharon - I add my Omega Oils to my shake, plus I usually put more ice in, as this also makes it thicker (and colder!).

[/I]
That's where I buy mine from in the UK, so I expect that you can in the US as well. There are also a number of sites to buy from over the web - just use your search engine to find them.

I also usually add my Hemp Oil or Flax Oil to my shakes. For one, it masks the taste of the oils as some of them are just nasty if you take them plain (Hemp oil isnt usually that bad tasting, some of the high lignan flax ones though....ughh) and it also gives the shake a nicer texture and in the case of the hemp oil a nutty flavor.

I just made the peanut butter one now using 1 scoop of Muscle Milk Vanilla. It came really good but I think it will be even better with something like Evo-Pro which isnt as rich as the muscle milk to begin with. Between the PB and a few cubes of Ice this shake is THICK, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticshark
Sometimes, I use left over chai tea (steeped longer than normal) with cream and the flax. For the chai tea smoothie, I use a vanilla protein base.

I've gotta give that a try. I'll be brewing up a nice strong pot of double spice chai tonight, lol.