Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowan
You know I was thinking about this last night. I have never done anything like this in my life, and I am VERY interested in a marathon, but I do not have the slightest clue how to go about getting the proper information. I live in Iowa, and I am sure that there is not one even close to where I live, but it is a dream of mine, and I have already lost 31 pounds, and this summer I will weigh much less. I have it as a goal to start running, and that is what I will be doing. I think a marathon would be a great motivation for me. Any idea on where I might find info on the upcoming marathons? Thanks

Hi Iowan,
I am an Iowan too! I live in Bettendorf. I run with the Cornbelt Running Club and Running Wild training group in the Quad Cities. Where are you?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:05

Plan: zone
Stats: 155/155/125 Female 68.5
BF:27%/27%/15%
Progress: 0%

Wow, look at all the replys! thanks ladies. It really helps to hear your stories. I didn't run yesterday! But i'm going to run today. I have some programs that are listed in a book that i could post if anyone wanted. I'll post my program today or tomorrow. How is everyone doing on there running programs? Did you run today ? I hope so, it will make me more determined to get out there and log my miles. So far i have 0 miles starting from the 26th! lol!

Hope for some tonight. if i don't run, give me a wake up call please!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 20:03

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Infiniti,

I have a 18 miles run tomorrow morning. Because we are so close (I am living in Orange County) I can give you a ring at 5 AM:-) When I started to run last January I ran always at 6PM, but in March the heat+high humidity made the runs uncomfortable, so we switched to sunrise.

It seems after this terrible rainy week the weather is better. Not really hot, but no rain. Ideal running time:-) Have fun!

Where are you running? Tarck, trail, street?

Have a wonderful running weekend for all.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 11:49

Default orange county too

well to be honest, since i moved away from the beach i haven't been running much. I'm trying really hard to get back into it. I run on the treadmill at my gym. I want to run outside but i'm always scared to run by myself but i don't want to slow anyone down either. I know i just need to put one foot out the door. . but sometimes that's the hardest part. Once i'mrunning i'm loving it.

18 miles. . . go for it. let me know how your runs go. Where do you run?
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 13:30

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Infiniti,

I can understand your concern. I live in a very safe neighborhood, but still almost never run alone. I run with my husband. We run "around" the block 2x6k/week, otherwise either on a high school track - it is ideal for the legs, or on a bike/horse trail along the San Diego creek.
Orange county is full of running clubs - almost all provide programs for (re)starters too. Maybe to join one? To run with partner(s) is the biggest help you can get. There is no way I would wake up in any morning to go out to run alone... Long runs are very boring even if you have some kind of entertainement (MP3, cd etc.)

I agree, the hardest part is always from the bed to the door - then everything is so easy.
Btw there is nothing wrong with running on treadmill. I remember to read about an Alaskan pro Marthoner who trained almost only on treadmill.

We had a wonderful 18 miles run today. I know this sounds crazy, but it meant 3 hours circling on a high school track:-)))

My best wishes:-)
Eva
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 15:28

Thumbs up Wonderful

Way to go! That is awesome. O.k. my fiancee would never run with me! lol! And all the running groups meet some distance from me so this makes them a little more difficult to use. I already drive alot and really don't like adding on more driving. I know excuses. I have a buddy who goes to the gym in the morning, so this is helping a lot. But i got to be able to do it on my own. I know i can, i have in the past it's just "i have to do it" . Thanks for the post, it makes me more motivated to go out.

Just a heads up, if your running on track you should run some of the time one direction and some of the time the other direction. Since you are doing a lot of turning it puts more stress on your inside leg and your back. Especially for 3 hours i would recommend rotating every mile.

infiniti

The phone call trick i tried to do it with a friend. and isabbotage it. I turn my phone off! horrible i know. Thank you for the offer though.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 23:02

Angry no miles to log yet. . . where is my motivation

I look at myself daily and say and know running is so good for me and will get rid of all i don't like. Then why is it i don't make time for it? It never seems to fit in? so far i still have 0 miles, this is rediculous and pathetic. I have so much knowledge. I know what to do, tell others what to do but i don't listen to myself. arghhh!

I hope you all are running/exercising more than I. Let me know how your doing, maybe it will get my butt runningl