Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i asked the lady at our local health food store and she says it is sold as a natural herb, and she has people who take it every day to build their immunity. she didnt mention it being harmful, and the ladies recommending it at curves to my mother didnt mention it being harmful. i have been taking it for 20 days now and havent had any thing except weightloss and energy. oh yes my skin is extremely clear and my pants are falling off all day. my mom has a paper on it, and is says it is useful for skin problems, dandruff, colds, and flus, but just to make sure im going to contact a friend of mine who uses young living essential oils for everything and see if it will harm us.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 203/154/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well I ran out last night and got mine. I was really glad to see that it also helps with other skin ailments which I have. What the heck, I will see if it works and let you all know.... GOt the same as Brickie's, Natureway at Fred Meyer (GNC didn't have it, only the oil), and took one today, Monday....
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

From all the information I've read on oil of oregano since I read this post last Thursday, I haven't read anything anywhere about harmful effects or to take it only for 10 days at a time.

Seems like some of the research I've read on it would have addressed that issue if it were true. I'm just not sure "the lady who works at the HFS" is high on my list of people to believe. Unless she's the owner/operator of that HFS, she's probably just a lady with a job in a HFS who hasn't studied the effects of every product sold in that store. JMHO.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but I'll take it until I see credible information to the contrary.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:39

BF:

i agree with scorpio, if i listened to all the harmful things i wouldnt be lcing as you know people tell me all the time it will kill me not good for me and so on, so until i see proof im sticking to it, just like i have this wol. i would love to hear from you all as to if it has helped at all. thanks
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:16

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

i did some more research-- oil of oregano is really meant for those who have some sort of allergy/yeast problem and I did find some sites that said it was extremely potent and recommended taking it for 15 days, then not taking it for 15 days, etc. But I think the kind Brikie uses is ok since its so low dose and diluted in flax or olive oil-- probably only the high dosage oregano is potent/has side effects/should be used on the 15 day regime. I know some ayurvedic doctors who specialize in herbal remedies, I'll make inquiries and get back to you all, if anyone's interested!
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:42

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks

"Oil of oregano is a potent germ killer. Jean Valnet, in his book The Practice of Aromatherapy, describes how oil of oregano is so strong that it is capable of sterilizing sewage." Wow! Now THAT'S strong! LOL
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:51

BF:

well at we will be sterilized haha
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 17:49

BF:

okay i just searched the web and the die off symptoms can be pretty much like the flu, or brain fog it says depending on how much yeast you had in your system, im willing to bet we all have a yeast build up just never did anything about it. i mean think of all the yeast foods we ate for how many years, and the meds and stuff we took. oh my gosh that would be as bad to see as the stuff when i had my c section, i begged them to just suck all my fat out but they wouldnt they just laughed. hmmmmmmmmmmmm. well this has worked for me and it will always be with me.
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:51

BF:

what are die off symptoms? Do u get them right away once starting oil of oregano, and then do they go away and u get more energy?...brickie, please explain
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:59

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hi guys,
I have a lot of questions too, Brickie-- I definitely want to try it, but I'm unsure and a little worried...I know a person who works at health food store is not an expert, but if it has the same qualities as an antiobiotic...it must be pretty potent. Have you had any side effects?
Thanks for the help & the info--
Jenn

Hi Trustycat...it's funny bumping into you somewhere other than our journals!!!
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 20:25
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustycat
I know some ayurvedic doctors who specialize in herbal remedies, I'll make inquiries and get back to you all, if anyone's interested!

Please, please, please. We bought the Oreginol brend: potent & spendy, but it does have 216 doses.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:15

Stats: 260/237/149 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Kristine, what is your opinion of the Atkins Essential Oils? Hope you or someone else will that the time to answer. Not sure which one to start taking. Does Flax seed oil have the same benefits for the heart as plain flax seed? Maureen
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:23

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I am going to try them for a while and see what happens. I am not a pill taker at all. I tried taking the essential oils by Atkins but really didn't like taking 'supplements'. This oregano oil seems like it has many many benefits (clearing up my face a little is a big one for me!) so I'm going to give it a shot.

If you have been on this for any length of time - could you list any benefits you believe have come since you started taking the oregano oil?

Thanks everyone! I think this was the first time I have ever read a 7 page thread entirely!
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:52

BF:

(hey jenna =) hope things are going well for u!)

I definitely share some concerns and also think i have some yeast problems, so if anyone could explain candida/die off symptoms, that'd be great.

I'm no expert but i think flax seed oil is beneficial to the heart 'cause of the omega-3s....also found in fatty fish, walnuts, olive oil, and yes, i'm sure in flax seeds and flax-products (like, there are cereals with flax specially added that advertise as being good for the heart)

also, about the many benefits-- may not be that noticeable and u might want to do some research first cause :
1. oregano oil can be taken internally or applied externally--as in, ingesting it won't cure athlete's foot, u have to rub it on your foot, (not sure about the acne)

and
2. it's really the high doses that will help u out with certain stuff (like on-line, some recommendations are 2-3 capsules of high potency stuff a day to cure various ailments) although the lower dose helps with minor things (bloating, etc)

just want to say to be careful/wary, that's all! and if the 50 mg helps with stalls, then maybe that's a better option that the 200 mg stuff which might be dangerous, esp if taken every day without a real reason (like candida or something)
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 22:22
Registered Member

Plan: self low carbing
Stats: 210/210/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Don't know

well, from listening to all the reviews I honestly believe this is gonna be SEVERELY needed by me. Since I started Atkins, I swear I have gotten a yeast infection of some sort. I can't explain it cause i have no pain. BUt I sweat more and I slightly have a odor. It is very embarrasing. Mark(DH) said that whenever you change a diet your body odor will get affected. So, I hope this helps get rid of all yeast that may be in my body.
YUCKY Want to smell good and oregany..lol

Sorry, but it has concerned me.