Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 06:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%
Default Protein Power Pals- FRIDAY!!,February 6

Gettin' the thread up & running
my good deed for the day is done.......off to find C O F F E E !!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 06:58

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I saw a Yeti run thru the thread - hope he will return and let us know how he is doing :: hint, hint ::

My menu was much better yesterday - got 21 gms of fiber! Weight was 176 lbs this AM.

Still watching my calorie per pound intake for a while to see if I can't get things moving again. I'd like to drop another 5 lbs or so before the serious hiking season begins (about March 15 normally). Calories per pound 1606 / 176 = 9.1 (aiming for around 9 to 10)

Total calories: 1606
Fat: 82 gms 735 cal 48%
Sat: 26 gms 238 cal 16%
Poly: 22 gms 200 cal 13%
Mono: 26 gms 153 cal 16%
Carbs: 59 gms 153 cal 10% ECC: 38 gms
Fiber: 21 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 161 gms 645 cal 42%

Breakfast:
4 egg beater omelet with 2 ozs lean ham, 1 ozs cheddar
Breakfast drink - 8 ozs water, 1 envelope sf gelatine, 1 scoop sf orange citrucel
30 ozs coffee (regular, brewed)

Snack:
1 cup full-fat spinach salad with 2 ozs lean ham

Lunch:
8 ozs Lemon-Pepper chicken
1 cup LC mixed veggies
6 baby carrots - steamed - with butter

Dinner:
6 ozs pre-cooked pork strips (steamed hot)
1 cup regular mixed veggies (steamed from frozen)
1/2 10 ozs pack of frozen Brussels Sprouts (steamed)
(quick dinner - those pesty federal agencies were holding hubby hostage again last night)

About 100 ozs water & 30 ozs coffee
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 07:50

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Good morning all

Ok this may be a long post so bear with me

My friend is doing LC now for a few weeks. He has lost some initial water weight, but now he has stopped. That doesnt concern me too
much, but he said he still craves sweets, and he is constantly hungry. He also is not reaping the benefits of LC, such as lack of heartburn, clear head, more energy, etc. He is sort of following Atkins.....he basically wings it. He does not track his carbs or his eating. He asks me for counts, and he lives at home with his parents and they LC so he just eats what they feed him.

My guess is that he is still eating too many carbs. I offered to help him track for a few days by him emailing his menus to me but he refused...said it was too much trouble and he would just cut back on his own. I worry he will just give up and go back to his regular eating habits. What do you guys think?

Ok next As you all know, I have been tossing around the idea of leaving my job for a few months. My husbands travel schedule is very erratic, with some months he is gone half the month, and some a bit less. I work usually until 7 or 8pm, and I am not home till around 8-9 pm, later if I have to stop and run an errand. The kids hardly see me, and it is bad if he is out of town.....they have to hang alone until I get home ( they are 9 and almost 14). I commute 40 mins each way to work, and I don't make a lot of money.

I am seriously looking at selling something like Tupperware, Pampered Chef, or Southern Living at home. That would allow me maximum flexibility, and the ability to make potential decent money. I also go to school online, so I do have some student loan money I can count on to help if need be. I just worry about jettisoning my job, which I guess is somewhat of a security blanket - you know, regular paycheck and all. What to do!!

Thanks for letting me vent!!

Robin
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 08:45

BF:

Robin - Have you considered a part-time job closer to home? While things like direct-sells can be lucrative, it generally takes time to develop a client-base and become profitable.

As for your friend, it doesn't sound like he is willing to put forth much effort on his own to make his WOE work. Such people rarely are successful with this or any other weight loss plan. My advice - as hardnosed as it sounds - don't invest more time and trouble into this guy's WOE than he is willing to invest himself. The interpersonal dynamics of doing that aren't good for you or for him. The fellow needs to take responsibility for his health and well-being himself or no WOE will work.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:23

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I agree with Orang. If the guy isn't willing to take control of his own body, because it's take to much time, he isn't wanting to succeed. Sounds harsh but true. Sorry.

Orang did you read my post from yesterday? What trails have you hiked? Have you done in thru-hikes? Have you hiked the PCT? Questions, Questions, Questions...lol.

Morning everyone.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:29

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning all from the Eastern SEAboard (and I do mean SEA). Talk about water retention. Wet Yeti sighted .

OK, no weight loss yet but someone at work asked me if I'd lost weight so maybe the exercise is starting to work? I am going to do measurements tomorrow, that's about a week since I did them.
Cals were around 1600 yesterday, carbs in the 30s.

Robin, sounds like you're getting good advice. Someone at work who does WW once said "If you bite it, write it"- your friend needs to journal for a day or two Why doesn't he do Fitday for a day?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:30

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Good morning I am going to get my hair done today. I used the same program as Bawdy and found a style I like but I think I am too chicken to follow through. I am afraid I will not be able to do it myself, not very gifted in the hair style area. PM me if you want to take a look. My appt is at noon so I don't have much time to decide.
DH & I are going to see BB King tonight, I am excited! I have heard he gives a very good show.

I have been the BCPs for almost a week now, TOM finally showed up last Saturday. I am not liking being on these at all. I will be glad with the 3 months is up. Maybe it will level itself off.

Robin - I have to agree with the others. You friend is just not motivated to lose weight. You can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:51

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

good morning all!!!

chamellie--i say go for the hair!! if you dont like it it will grow back!! i go from long to short every couple of years, and this past dec i highlighted it for the first time ever. i love it!! i think in my journal there are some pics of me at various stages in hair length. p.s. i would like to check out the style you are thinking about (i am always looking for something new)

Robin-- i agree with everything said so far. there is not much you can do for a person that doesn't want to do anything for themselves. on the job front, i understand your position. i work 45min-1hr commute away from home. thankfully, my job allows me to work 4-10 hr days so at least i am home 1 day a week. but i do leave for work before anybody gets up and am home around 7pm. i have two young girls at home (7 and 10) so it is a challenge to get everybody fed before bedtime, and that leaves barely any room for "family time". i love my job though so i try to make up for it by doing lots of fun stuff on my days off. i also have the other half at home to help out when i am at work (he works a more normal schedule and can get the kids to school and is home when they get there most of the time). its a tough decision you have. i agree with what was said about finding something closer to home. if you already have a job, you can take your time to find one that fits you best (schedule/hours/type of work). those sales jobs from the home (pampered chef ect.) take more time and effort then you think. especially if you don't really like you job, there is no reason to stay.

hope everybody has a great day!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:55

BF:

Smoothblu wrote:
Quote:
Orang did you read my post from yesterday? What trails have you hiked? Have you done in thru-hikes? Have you hiked the PCT? Questions, Questions, Questions...lol.

I hike mostly Smoky Mountains, Cherokee / Nanahala / Cohutta forests, but subject to go anywhere leading to a waterfall (a lot of hiking in NE GA, SW SC and S Central NC mountain region to waterfalls). As for thru-hikes, we plan to attempt to thru hike the AT after hubby retires in August. We may not be able to do this in one shot due to my health, but we are going to try. I'm getting some ultralite equipment together now - going to do a modified Ray-Way type thing for the backpacking. Will be doing some longer backpacking trips to learn what works and what doesn't before we go.

The PCT is another we have our eyes on - though we will do some shorter hikes in that region before attempting this. Most of our experience is east coast USA and the terrain / conditions are very different.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 10:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi all.

Orang said: "Shhhhhh Kristine, I'm trying to convert 'em all to mountain climbing"

Sorry. Did I mention that I usually buy a 12 pack of diet pepsi at said grocery store and carry it home in my back pack?

Robin, tell your friend to read the book and follow it to the letter. Half-Assed-kins never works. Then, ask the friend to please NOT tell people that s/he "tried low carb and it didn't work." People like that make us all look bad.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Feb-06-04 at 10:19.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 10:21

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Orang what can I say but......

Wow!!! Congratulations and all you’re hiking. That’s awesome.

I'm really excited about this major challenge. I have spent some time with some thru-hikers that I recently met and have gained much information from them. We worked out a planning schedule for exercise and development for the strength portion. It's going to be hard but I need that in my life right now.

I will continue my walking like I am until I reach my first 50 lbs goal than I will add a 20 lbs pack to my back each time I walk increasing that to 35 lbs. Each month I will increase distance and speed. By March my goal is to walk 20 -25 miles carrying a 35 lbs pack in all different type of terrain. I have 5 short 2 - 3 day hikes planned all in varying terrain. One long hike from Diamond Lake, Mount Thielsen and around Crater Lake in September. I wish the PCT here in Oregon went through the pretty part of the state.

I looked at the maintenance thread and do not want to ever get to the place where I gain back what I have or will lose. This is to hard to one day be back where I started. For me....I have to look at changing my environment. This is long term, it's a life commitment. It’s my life and I want to live a very long time enjoying what God has placed her for us.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Friday

Good morning everyone! I have a question I hope someone can help me with! Yesterday I bought a couple of Pure De-lite chocolate bars made with Dark Belgian Chocolate and 0 effective carbs. Wonderful!! BUT then I noticed that the ingredients included Malitol and I remember reading something about that somewhere...that it was just another name for sugar or something? Can anyone help me out here? I was headed back to the store for more of these wonderful things before reading that !

Renee: Are you getting as much rain as we are? Lots of flooding around here!

Hi to everyone else and thanks for all the input yesterday on pastas, etc.
Kat
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 11:06

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Kat, maltitol is a sugar alcohol that is frequently used to sweeten candy for LC. If you eat two much (more than 1 bar or a whole package of sugar free pb cups) you may get a grumbly tummy or some frequent trips to the bathroom. But, eaten in moderation, it's yummy.Too yummy.
You subtract sugar alcohols from carbs to get net carbs.

It is pouring in the Eastern PA area too.

Elaine
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 11:29

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

Quote:
I wish the PCT here in Oregon went through the pretty part of the state.

which part of the state do you consider "pretty"?

i think the PCT goes through some of the most beautiful areas Oregon has to offer.....
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 12:21

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

acipenser

While most of the state is beautiful the section of the PCT heading into Diamond Lake is dull and boring. This is the section I was speaking about. I’ve hiked, camped and and snowmobile that area many times. Once you get to DL its pretty, Crater Lake is but I don’t much care for the hike into DL. I’m not a fan of endless miles of lodge pole pines. <shrug> The fire last year did a lot of damage to that area, hopefully in time it will grow back. I’ve lived in Oregon for over 30 years and find it a very nice place to live. No offense was intended. Simply my pov.

Last edited by smoothblu : Fri, Feb-06-04 at 12:30.