Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 12:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

HI, it happened to me when I was pregnant and the dermatologyst recomended a shampoo called Daragen. I happened again last year after about 4 or 5 months of low-carbing. I got the shampoo again wich is made a pure protein (I guess) and it solved the problem within a couple of weeks. The hair is growin back now.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 12:54
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Have thyroid checked...

Hi,

The most common thing I have seen is a mal-functioning thyroid. Have you been a regular dieter and gone on starvation diets?

If you have dieted a lot in the past, especially if you have let yourself go hungry, it palys havoc with your thyroid gland function.

I would have a thyroid series done before you do anything else!

Tom.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 12:58

Stats: 274/260/160
BF:
Progress:
Default Flax Seed Oil

I recommend incorporating more Flax Seed Oil and Olive Oil into your diet.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 02:06
Registered Member

Stats: 249/213/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Where did you buy the shampoo? Is it a perscription shampoo? I want to get some this week. My hair is a wreck. Thanks so much for all of your responses. I will heed all of your suggestions. Mysstic
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 04:20

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

You can search the Internet and get it there, but I went to Walgreens and had them order it for me. It costs about $18 a bottle but it is very good. You shampoo a fist time and wash it out, then a second time and leave it for about 3 to 4 min. They don't have a conditioner, but I use one after the shampoo because otherwise my hair is very dry. My hair started to grow back already and it stop falling out after about 2 weeks of using the shampoo.

Here is a link that shows you the shampoo: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yhst-14...5842/69906.html

I ordered from the Pharmacy area at Walgreens.

Good luck.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 09:50
Registered Member

BF:

Sadlady thank you so much. This is the best news I have had about the hair loss situation. I am so thrilled. Mysstic.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 23:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

I was having serious hair loss, and started taking CoQ10 and flax seed oil along with my vitamins. the other day at church a lady asked me what I was doing to my hair, it was looking so full and beautiful!! I really have thicker hair now,,and its healthy. You might try that.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 10:43
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks musicmama, I am willing to try anything. Is the flax seed oil in a capsule or liquid you have to drink. Mysstic
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 10:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Its in a gelcap,,,and they are not expensive, about 5 dollars a big bottle at walmart. Only take one,,,they are really good for keeping ya regular too, if ya know what I mean. And they make your skin soft too, I started my daughter on em and she could tell a diffence in that in a few days.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 15:02
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks musicmama, I will post when I start to see results, and yes I do know what you mean. Thanks, again. Mysstic
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 16:07

Plan: .
Stats: 130/./. Female .
BF:
Progress:
Default Antidepressants causes thinninh hair

I have been taking Prozac, an antidepressant, for years while I was NOT on a low carber diet. Anyway, I got my hair thinning and then, by chance, found out on the web that tons of people reported AD may cause it. I don't know about Celexa, but I am afraid that might be the reason for your thinning hair also.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 01:55
Registered Member

BF:

rdroghetti,
You know I thought so too, until I checked the web for information about Celexa and it is not listed as a side effect. I am stilling collecting any and all data concerning hair loss and I appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks Mysstic
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 07:28

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

ooh! ooh! Can I chime in, too?
My hair started thinnning when I hit perimenopause (ALL of my forties!! Thanks, mom-NOT!! Dang genes, anyhoo) and flushing a lot of weight accelerated the process. I'm sure this advice is posted in the threads already cited by others, but to save others the hassle of looking there, here's what worked for me:
1) flax oil, definitely. It's the only "good fat" allowed in the Fat Flush Plan for the first two phases (Phase 3 - lifestyle/maintenance phase - allows EVOO, nut oils, rice bran oil). I now take 1 Tbsp Flax oil and 1 Tbsp other P3 oil, daily. I think it's cheaper (and tastier!) to buy flax oil rather than the capsules 'cause 1 Tbsp oil = 9 1000mg capsules (by volume).
2) biotin - 5 mg daily
3) ferrofood (iron supplment) 10-20 mg daily
4) kelp granules - I take about 6 capsules daily
5) GLA - in the form of evening primrose oil or borage oil or black currant seed oil, 360-400mg of GLA, daily (the FFP balances the omegas of flax oil to the GLA)

hmmmmm...sounds like a lot of supplements when I lay it all out. Thing is, I'm typically getting the flax oil in my food (in oil & vinegar-type salad dressings, or in roasted red pepper sauce, etc.). The others are simply part of my daily supplements. I have this sorta halo effect of new hair coming in (since it's shorter, it stands out around my head).
And as others have stated, the flax oil gives hair a glowing healthy appearance. I don't even use hair conditioners any longer and I live in a sagebrush desert!

hope you have hair-improvement. LOL
best wishes,
charli
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 11:27
Registered Member

BF:

Wow Charli, that is a lot of information. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will look into the supplements. Mysstic