Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 07:59

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 186/125/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

Definetly. How each person chooses to cope is different, but laser was my only remaining option because my free androgen and testsoterone dropped to normal, but I still had to shave twice a day. Plus I had very course thick hair...I bug my husband that I could have beat him at a goatee growing contest. Plucking would have taken me several hours a day.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 09:34

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious
... my free androgen and testsoterone dropped to normal...

For the benefit of our fellow soul-cysters who are reading this, I want to point out that I think this is the key - getting the hormones balanced. Lasers (and electrolysis) are far superior to my method in terms of time and effort, but I don't think anything will work well until those androgens drop - the hair will eventually just grow back or new hair will come. But get them balanced (a few months into LC was sufficient for me to start seeing improvement) and buh-bye hair! It's great to not worry about it anymore, isn't it?
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 08:16

BF:
Progress:

Absolutely. Success is short-term at best without an attempt to regulate the hormones. For me, it took several years of metformin, diet and consistent exercise before my labs started falling to normal.

The irony is, the Dr I consulted with didn't ask any specifics about my PCOS...I mentioned it because I knew of the relevance to my laser treatment. It didn't affect his questioning or his course of treatment in any way. Laser is danged expensive and I shudder to think of all the $$ I could have dropped before my hormones were regulated had I not done my own homework and gotten the levels down before I went for my consult. You can't count on the laser folks to ask the tough questions about hormones..they are willing to have you lose hundreds of dollars and not resolve the problem.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 11:37

Plan: IR
Stats: -/-/- Female 71
BF:
Progress:

How do you know if you're IR?

I've been dx'd with PCOS for about a year now, but have been harping on doctors for about five years due to my symptoms. I'm now on Yasmin and met (about a year) and only have lost probably 10 pounds or so. I'm an avid exerciser and have tweeked my diet, but I can't seem to budge in the weight area. Even though some of the symptoms of PCOS have subsided (excess hair, pelvic pain, tiredness), I still do not feel healthy and still feel my insulin levels all over the place.

I want a plan that is a life-long lifestyle plan. Not some quick fix to drop the excess weight (approx 20-30 pounds). I feel kinda overwhelmed at all of the different information that is being thrown at me.

I know you can have PCOS and not be IR, but I'm curious about how you find out if you're IR and the symptoms? Thanks.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 11:58

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%

I too am insuline resistant and have pos. Has anyone read the studies bieng done on what is called "syndrome x"? You can do a search on the internet. I find it all interesting. My husband and I started Atkins about 3 weeks ago and he is losing fast and I am going very slow. I read just a bit yesterday about the insuline resistant diet and wonder if I should swich to it. What do you think that will do?
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 08:24

BF:
Progress:

Cae: Bloodwork is your best bet....labs like male hormones (and hormones that convert easily to male hormones like DHEA'S), fasting insulin etc can call all show abnormalities and be red flags.

For me, I was normal to slightly impaired with my fasting glucose and was borederline during my pregnancies. But thankfully I had a Dr who knew the symproms of PCOS/insulin resistance and gave me a trial of metformin because I had every physical symptom (periods of hypoglycemia, irregular periods, waist weight gain, severe carb cravings, skin tags, low HDL cholesterol, high LDL, family history of diabetes and heart disease, dark skin on the neck and underarms).

Tommie:

"My husband and I started Atkins about 3 weeks ago and he is losing fast and I am going very slow."

Keep in mind that men lose a lot faster than women do. Metabolically your husband's body isn't fighting PCOS and men tend to lose faster anyway because of their higher muscle content. Don't compare your losses with your husband's. I know it's hard, but stay focused on your own accomplishments and don't compare, because it will just frustrate you. It's an unfortunate reality than men lose weight a lot easier than we do..if we didn't love them so much we'd hate their guts.

I can say that I do prefer the IR way of eating to Atkins, simply because it is difficult to get all the nutrients, anti-oxidents etc that you need for health on the induction level of Atkins. I always felt like I was starving at 30g carb daily. I love IR because it's not as restrictive, no food is off-limits and even now at my goal weight I am still using the concept of linking and balancing food with protein.

All the best!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 08:02

Default I didn't know

I did not know that skin tags and dark patches on neck and underarms were symptoms of IR. I have both. I also have on the backs of my upper arm an area that looks like a slight rash. I have always had it. Is this another sign? As for TOM I have never ben regular except when on birth controll. I had a hard time getting pregnant the first time due to the irregularities. I had the fasting insuline 1/2 the day tests and it showed definate IR. The dr told me I was well above the limit to diagnose. Have you read any about syndrome X?
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 17:04

Plan: First South Beach now IR
Stats: 225/198/165 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I read that syndrome X and IR are the same thing. It was termed Syndrome X first when they saw a cluster of symptoms in some people. Once the researchers determined that insulin is behind all the various problems, they called it IR. I hope this helps.

The IR diet has been great for me. I am losing weight slowly but surely. It is a downward trend (unlike before when I gained wieght no matter what I tried diet and exercise wise), and that is great! It may not be 2 pounds a week anymore, but if I look back at my calendar, I definitely see progress toward my goal.

Kate
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 12:49
Registered Member

Plan: insulin restance
Stats: 260/235/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default IR and Questions

I started the IR diet yesturday but read the book about 3weeks ago and have been rereading it since. Alot of things have been explained to me, like why i get moody, i also read in here that PCOS maybe cause to anti siezure meds.. which i was on in childhood... I too have PCOS and lost alittle weight on met, I go back to the doctor friday to get a check up and discuss meds and hopefully get everything back on track... I tried adkins, but i got sicker, moodier, and would do good for awhile, but i would be starving and then go on a big binge,, causing me to get frustrated and upset. I was doing this along with my mother in law and she was losing pounds like crazy and was never hungry so this was even more frustrating.. I have said in my journal i have never had a sweet tooth, mine has always been sour salty and crunchy.. Recently I have been craving a Sheetz hotdog(gas station in VA, PA, WV) with Chili Salsa Dorritoes and a Sprite with some Cherry Smoothie mixed in... When I first got married this was a favorite meal of my husbands and mine and we havent had it in about 2 yrs... I am also craving a Italian BMT SUB with pickles, olives, onions, and extra vinger so that the bread is soaked with a side of vinger chips... this is another favorite of mine... so i am trying to get over these cravings..
I do have some questions about the IR Diet:question with the water... on the IR diet you need to drink 8-8oz glasses of water plus an additional 8oz glasss for every 25lbs over weight u are. so i figured i need to drink an additional 5 glasses that 104 onces... now i have been doing that and more ( i drink tons of water) my dad and sister told me this was bad for me because i could flush all the sodium out of my system and thats a bad thing... anybody know anything like this?
Second is the Smooties.. does any one know any good recipes that dont involve Bananas? I cant stand bananas... I think its from daycare.. watching my kids eat them is so discusting...
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 09:37

BF:
Progress:

"my dad and sister told me this was bad for me because i could flush all the sodium out of my system and thats a bad thing... anybody know anything like this?"

If you're eating normally, it's not a concern. Most people normally get enough sodium from food to cover any losses. Your body needs the extra water to flush your kidneys. When kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has to do their work along with its own, lowering its total productivity. It then can’t metabolize fat as quickly or efficiently as it could if you were better hydrated. Dehydration not only is unfair to your liver, it sets you up to store fat.

"does any one know any good recipes that dont involve Bananas?"

Blend 1 cup skim or 1% Milk, 1/2 cup low fat yogurt, 1 scoop protien powder, 1/2 cup peaches, 1/2 cup rasberries. The powder adds lots of protien and also gives it a frothy consistency. I have this almost every morning for breakfast.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 12:17

Default what do I need to change?

I have not read the IR diet book and I would before I tried to begin eating this way but I wondered if anyone who is on IR diet would take a look at my fitday and suggest what changes I would need to make to what I am eating now. I would be interested in seeing journals that included foods eaten or someones fitday so I can get an idea of food choices and combinations. I am afraid this woe would require too much thought. Thanks
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 11:13

BF:
Progress:

I'd take a look if you post the link.

I found the IR woe very easy. It did take about a week or a little less to get familiar with what is protien /carb etc, but within a couple of weeks it was all old hat and I haven't picked up the book in ages!
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:11

Plan: bits of this and that
Stats: 260/260/140 Female 69.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious
Definetly. How each person chooses to cope is different, but laser was my only remaining option because my free androgen and testsoterone dropped to normal, but I still had to shave twice a day. Plus I had very course thick hair...I bug my husband that I could have beat him at a goatee growing contest. Plucking would have taken me several hours a day.

I also suffer from this problem...it bothers me even more than the extra weight.

For the laser treatments, did you have to let the facial hair grow out or were they able to perform the treatment on a shaved face? I would love to do laser once I get the hormones under control, but cringe at the thought of going in public (even in the laser treatment waiting room) with a beard or stubble.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:13

Plan: First South Beach now IR
Stats: 225/198/165 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I agree with Notorious. Once you have it down, the IR diet is easy to follow. I followed the diet over the holidays and actually lost weight (while traveling for a week), for the first time ever. I also asked my relatives for low carb cookbooks and cooking gadgets and got what I wanted for Christmas. Actually, many regular cookbooks have IR friendly items, you just have to check the nutrition count. I found that Weight Watchers new cookbook, the Turnaournd one, has many IR friendly recipes. Most of them, in fact. It makes me wonder if the WW dieticians have caught onto the IR diet formula, and are using it. I still eat cookies (just two), but have them with a glass of milk. I don't feel deprived at all. It is amazing how long a higher protein snack can keep you satisfied and not thinking about food.

Take care,
Kate
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:26

Default Here is my fitday

I dont know why it is not showing in my signature line. It shows there when I go to cp. Oh well. Here it is. http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=tommiec68
I would love comments from any and all. I wish I was one of the lucky ones that looses quickly.