Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 05:51

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Protein Power Pals - Thursday - Jan 15

Welcome to the daily Protein Power Pals thread. All who are using, interested in or curious about the PP WOE are welcomed to join in. We also welcome friends not using PP to drop by for a large glass of water and some friendly conversation.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 05:52

BF:

My menu was OK LC wise, but not good overall nutritionally yesterday. I don't normally eat beef due to sensitivity to arachodonic acid. I also don't normally eat fast-food cheese due to the trans fats. Hubby worked late and I really wasn't feeling well - the closest fast-food place is a McD's inside a convenience store. My weight is still at 175.5 lbs this AM.

Total calories: 1546
Fat: 92 gms 828 cal 55%
Sat: 41 gms 366 cal 24%
Poly: 21 gms 190 cal 13%
Mono: 28 gms 252 cal 17%
Carbs: 51 gms 155 cal 10% ECC:39 gms
Fiber: 12 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 130 gms 520 cal 35%

Breakfast:
4 egg beater omelet with 2 ozs lean ham and 1 oz cheddar
12 ozs coffee and 8 ozs sugar-free breakfast drink with 3/4 T psyllium power

Snack:
.5 oz cashews

Lunch:
1.5 cup leftover sausage, french onion, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix (skillet dinner from earlier in week)
1 cup leftover broccoli /cauliflower in velveeta
1/2 cup leftover tomato / parmesan / onion dish

Snack (sick tummy ) :
2 scoops chocolate protein powder w/ 1/4 cup half & half / water / ice

Dinner (sick tummy and blistering headache ) :
2 double cheeseburgers from McDonalads - no bun, ketchup, pickle or mustard

About 60 ozs water, 12 ozs coffee

Goals for today - eat better though I still don't feel well and go to Wally World (it is restock time for items I can't get anywhere else )
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 06:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%

Greetings from sub-arctic NJ
just stopping by on my way to brave the minus whatever windchill-what is this? Buffalo?, Nome?

Orang...Mickey D burgers.....still better than grabbing a convenience store microwave burrito & a bearclaw!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 07:28

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi! Crazy days at work lately.

DC (dear cat) has fluid in her lungs as well as around her lungs. She's on Lasix (diuretic). They tried getting an x-ray of her lungs yesterday, but apparently it was so traumatic for her they couldn't do it, and even had to give her oxygen afterward.

She's sleeping mostly, has some brief coughing episodes at times (infrequently), but is getting up to eat -- even jumping on top of the washing machine where we usually put the food. For the past couple of days we've been putting it on the floor, but she still jumps up there. So, we put a chair in front of it to give her a boost, and putting the food up where the dog can't get it.

Sorry to hear of all the struggling going on with thyroid, ladies' issues, etc.

I only have a second. Things really are picking up with the new job, so I won't get a chance to post very much. Don't forget about me! I'll pop in when I can.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 08:37

BF:

Yike, Bawdy... sounds like your kitty has congestive heart failure. Hope the Lasix helps her. Great that she still has her spunk.

We will miss hearing from you regularly, but I figured you would be busier with the new position - newbies, Bawdy got a promotion just before most of you joined us.

I do believe I spotted a Yeti... so glad to see you Rob. Not sure I could have done a micro-burrito.... I got kinda green around the gills just thinking about it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 08:47

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

This is my second week and I have dropped another 10 lbs. I’m sure most of this is water lose and as time goes by the amount I lose will become less as my body adjust to what I’m putting it through. I also haven’t felt well this week and that is where some of it may be coming from.

The eating and menu planning itself hasn’t been hard. For me the hardest part is not feeling well. I have horrible headaches and feel horribly drained all the time even through I take my vitamins etc….

Here's hoping everyone has a great day.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 09:08

BF:

Smoothblu
How about posting what you are eating - we may be able to help you with the headaches and feeling drained. I have felt that way LCing and making small changes in my diet made a dramatic difference.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 09:49

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Orang thanks for being concerned.

Here is a listing for all last week.

Each day I take my vitamins which consist of Multivitamin with Multimineral <no iron>, Alpha Lipoic Acid, CoQ10, Potassium, and Magnesium with Zinc <Chelated>
I try….not always succeed to drink plenty of water.
Exercise right now is at a low as I feel like yuck.
I didn’t put the amount for serving size but I did list my totals.

Last week’s menu and numbers ---Jan 8th
Calories Eaten Today
Total: 1490
Fat: 99 892 60%
Sat: 45 401 27%
Poly: 3 29 2%
Mono: 7 59 4%
Carbs: 45 129 9%
Fiber: 12 0 0%
Protein: 116 464 31%

Turkey Sausage
Cheese sticks
Large Salad with egg and cottage cheese
LC Tortilla with lettuce, chicken, pepper, mushroom, garlic. The LC Tortilla<wraps> is from a recipe here on the board.
Cottage cheese and peaches
------------------------------------

01/09/04
Calories Eaten Today
Total: 1389
Fat: 78 704 52%
Sat: 26 236 17%
Poly: 5 47 3%
Mono: 15 139 10%
Carbs: 33 99 7%
Fiber: 8 0 0%
Protein: 139 556 41%

Protein drink this is one I make with powders not bought
Salad with lettuce, spinach, eggs
Beef steak
Cottage cheese and shrimp salad
Peaches
Almonds
------------------------------------------------------------------

1/10/04
Calories Eaten Today
Total: 1072
Fat: 71 636 60%
Sat: 28 251 24%
Poly: 1 8 1%
Mono: 0 3 0%
Carbs: 31 66 6%
Fiber: 14 0 0%
Protein: 91 363 34%

LC wrap with cheese, mushrooms
Cod steamed
Salad with lettuce, spinach, cottage cheese and shrimp
Low carb bar homemade high in fiber low in fats….Suggestion from someone was I wasn’t getting enough fiber so I made some of these up to try…I don’t like the taste..yuck

------------------------------------------------------------------

1/11/04
Calories Eaten Today
Total: 1962
Fat: 149 1341 68%
Sat: 31 280 14%
Poly: 8 72 4%
Mono: 17 150 8%
Carbs: 41 106 5%
Fiber: 14 0 0%
Protein: 132 529 27%

Meatballs with cheese melted on top
Cottage cheese
Green salad with lettuce, radishes, mushrooms, parsley, alfalfa sprouts, jalapeno pepper
LC wrap with eggs, bacon and cheese
Celery with peanut butter

--------------------------
1/12/04

Calories Eaten Today
Total: 2390
Fat: 175 1572 67%
Sat: 47 422 18%
Poly: 9 77 3%
Mono: 15 136 6%
Carbs: 42 111 5%
Fiber: 15 0 0%
Protein: 165 660 28%

Munching dish of radishes, string cheese, mushroom, celery/ peanut butter,
Protein drink
Meatballs Cheese/bacon - Quiche
Homemade protein bar
Tostada with 3.5 oz chicken strips
1/4 cottage cheese

----------------------

1/13/04
Calories Eaten Today
Total: 1421
Fat: 100 904 64%
Sat: 24 215 15%
Poly: 12 106 8%
Mono: 12 111 8%
Carbs: 40 94 7%
Fiber: 17 0 0%
Protein: 103 413 29%

B - 1/2 protein drink
Lunch - 1/4 of sunflower seeds
Dinner - SW Beef Chili with lc tostada and lettuce, cheese, olives topped with SC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/14/2004
Calories Eaten Today
Total: 1668
Fat: 125 1122 69%
Sat: 53 475 29%
Poly: 15 134 8%
Mono: 10 94 6%
Carbs: 29 91 6%
Fiber: 6 0 0%
Protein: 102 407 25%

String cheese with Sunflower seeds
cheese quiche
chicken with with green salad
cottage cheese with shrimp

This takes me up to today. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:32

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hello to all, including our long lost Yeti, Ms Bawdy and our temporarily missing Lissette.(she's doing camera work? Lookout Orang, you will have photo competition )

Blu, sometimes it takes a while to get the sugar out of your system and that might be giving you some problems. It's like caffiene withdrawal. Also, cheese can give you headaches. I'd keep a little food diary of how you feel after eating certain foods for a few days. Maybe you'll need to tweak your menus.
Also, do you work out? Maybe a little exercise video, etc might help. I know I sleep better when I do that during the day sometime and sometimes that can help the fatigue. Orang will give you good advice!

We are supposed to have a wind chill of 15 below tonight.Oh goody.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:50

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewinpa
Blu, sometimes it takes a while to get the sugar out of your system and that might be giving you some problems. It's like caffiene withdrawal. Also, cheese can give you headaches. I'd keep a little food diary of how you feel after eating certain foods for a few days. Maybe you'll need to tweak your menus.
Also, do you work out? Maybe a little exercise video, etc might help. I know I sleep better when I do that during the day sometime and sometimes that can help the fatigue. Orang will give you good advice!

Thanks for responding

I don't workout much now. I am planning on doing the challenge of walking through starting next week.

I will keep a food diary of how I feel after eating this week and see what we can learn from that.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 12:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

OK, I couldn't resist.

Another 10 pounds lost, Blu? Meaning 20 pounds gone in two weeks, Blu?

Yippi-de-do-dah!!!

All hail Blu, Queen of the Scale!

I'd say you're doing something right! No wonder you have headaches. Your body is going through a lot right now. Don't worry, a lot of people get headaches when they first start. How much potassium are you taking? I'm a big believer in potassium. When I'm feeling blah and start getting restless legs and calf cramps (not that kind, Lissette!), I start taking 2 tablets in the morning and 2 in the evening for a couple days, then slack off a bit. Usually does the trick.

Orang, she doesn't have congestive heart failure (we thought of that first, too). She developed pleural effusion (fluid in the lungs) and pulminary edema (fluid around the lungs), probably as a result of the kidney problems. She also has a heart murmer, which may or may not have contributed. The Lasix should relieve the pressure quickly. Thanks for asking.

And I guess I should check in with my numbers. For the month of January so far, here are my averages:

Calories: 1,474
Fat: 79 grams (48%)
Carbs: 58 grams or 47 ECC (14%)
Protein: 124 grams (35%)

I've lost 4 pounds. The new Fitday is pretty cool. I've attached a PDF doc showing my overview page (you'll need Adobe Acrobat to read it). Elaine, how are you liking it?

Last edited by BawdyWench : Thu, Jan-15-04 at 12:27.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 13:16

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Bawdy
Thanks for being excited for me that is so nice of you.
I take a couple of potassium in the morning and at night. But I think your right. It's a time for adjustment for my body and it will work itself out in time.

If you see anything that really sticks out as "wrong" or "needs" fixing in my menu above please let me know.

I value all the knowledge from this group.

Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 13:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default May I join you?

Thank you Orang, for inviting me to join this thread. Yes! I sure know where East Ridge is! I live at the bottom of Signal Mt. Where do you live now? Still in the Chattanooga area?
I have been doing Atkins Induction for over a month with absolutely no weight loss so am currently reading the Protein Power book and thinking about switching. Protein Power seems to allow more of the foods that I have been sad to leave behind while trying to do Atkins.
I also have hypothyroidism which was stable on meds. until a recent blood test showed things out of whack again. So new meds. and maybe a new diet Whatever works!!!! I'll check back in here tomorrow! Thanks! Kat
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 14:58

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Went to the grocery store today and bought a smoked turkey leg...what a disasterous experience that was. It completely turned me off and I'm having troubles eating any kind of lunch right now ( had to get the hot dogs out) WTG to everyone out there on your success and weightlosses! I won't be weighing in until Monday and then I'll see how the first week progressed. Ellie...if you could find that recipe (and any other good ones you have, that would be fantastic) Katlyn..welcome and I hope you find the answers you're looking for with Protein Power!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 15:43

BF:

Smoothblu,
I'm not ignoring you. I'm doing some reading to be sure I haven't missed something.

The only thing I notice is that your calorie per pound ratio is very low - many people have problems with weakness, headaches and excessive sleepiness when they go below about 8 calories per pound - your ratio is down around 5 calories / pound on most days.

I dropped my calories down to around 1000 per day while on Atkins. My weight at the time was around 200 lbs. I felt awful - I could hardly work and was asleep every night by about 8 pm. People were getting concerned about me well-being. This was what got me to switch to protein power. I began feeling better within weeks. While it is possible to lose weight rapidly doing that, it wasn't worth feeling so bad that I couldn;t have a life. I lose more slowly now, but I feel good and I look good.