Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/142/140 Female 5.7 inches
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Advance warning of TV programme

Just seen a trailer for a Horizon programme on 22nd January about Atkins - we'd better set the video. Not sure whether its BBC 1 or 2, I think possible 9.00 pm. Fingers crossed it is good investigative journalism and not a retelling of the myths. Pleeeeze don't let Claire Sweeney appear in it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 17:11
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Good spot Tortie

Full info:-

SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENTARY: Horizon
Channel: BBC 2 Scotland (Digital)
Date: Thursday 22nd January 2004
Time: 21:00 to 21:50 (starting in 8 days)
Duration: 50 minutes.
The Atkins Diet.
A report on the popular Atkins diet, which claims that eating fat and avoiding carbohydrates can make you thin. Rene Zellweger, Geri Halliwell and a host of other celebrities swear by it, but many scientists think it is dangerous nonsense. Horizon's investigation seems to show that the diet really may work, but for a reason that even Atkins himself had not seriously considered.
(Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.digiguide.com. Copyright ©1999-2002 GipsyMedia Ltd. Information copied from DigiGuide cannot be re-distributed, sold or used without prior written consent from GipsyMedia Ltd. All rights reserved.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 02:40

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Well spotted. Bound to be on all regions of BBC2.

50 minutes. I wonder what they will have to say this time!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 03:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134.5/110.0/120 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 169%
Default Horizon programme on Atkins - 22 Jan

Hi everyone,

I saw this programme advertised on TV this morning:

Horizon: the Atkins Diet
Thursday 22nd January
BBC2
21:00 - 21:50

I certainly advertise the diet to friends and family but a TV programme always has a great impact!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 15:09

Stats: 189/180/154 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I watched a TV program a little over a week ago on one of the UK cable channels about Atkins ..... result ..... I took the plunge and started the next day .... so yep thats what I'd call TV impact
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 04:52

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Good to see that the usual negative coverage of Atkins on the TV had the opposite effect than they intended, Rand Welcome
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 15:20

Plan: LOWER CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stats: 150/131/138 Female 5ft4inches
BF:
Progress: 158%

thankyou the tv is already set up with a reminder!!! look foreward to watching it x
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 04:14

Stats: 189/180/154 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thank you for the welcome Sylvia

I expect my contrary nature had a lot to do with it

I'm also looking forward to watching what Horizon make of the Atkins diet
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:13
Registered Member

Stats: 175/148/140 Female 173.7cm
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Atkins docu on bbc2...

There's an Horizon special on Thursday Bbc2 at 9 pm . thought i would let you all know incase any of you would be interested in watching it.
I am sure it will give the usual dis's and saying it's bad but it may suprise me and actual give some good info and tips maybe lol
anyway bye for now xx
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 06:24
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Bumpity bump since it's tonight
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:04

Stats: 220/185/180
BF:
Progress: 88%

A very poor program, revealing nothing, certainly not to those who've read Charles Clarke's High Protein book. i.e. fat and protein fill you up better than carbohydrates. Their apparent debunking of Ketosis was an appalling bit of 'research'. And as for the spooky music in the background, (trying not to laugh) ooooooh very disturbing!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:33

Stats: 260/142/140 Female 5.7 inches
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Another missed opportunity

Well, it could have been worse. But I was disappointed that the programme was pitched at such a low level. I mean do we really have to see someone testing their urine? They seem to assume that the viewers are too dim to follow an intelligent argument or discussion - sound bite TV! As for the man sitting in the chair eating a chunk of cheese - purleeze. In my copy of New Diet Revolution Atkins says you need in increase exercise but no mention of that in the programme, nor where he says eat until you are satisfied but don't overeat. In the end it took 50 minutes to say very little. No mention of the effect that refined sugar and flour might have on weight. Nothing about blood sugar levels. Nothing about how Atkins diet curbs cravings. Nothing to question the "low fat myth". Nothing about fast food culture. Nothing about sustainability of the diet.

Still - it did show that it works even if they can't work out why. I know it works for me but I'm afraid this programme won't help with all the people who keep questioning the diet. Topic came up at work yet again I had to debunk some of the prejudice and mythology. I am tired of defending this woe.

Last edited by Tortie : Thu, Jan-22-04 at 16:34.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:38

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 249/ 199/175 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 68%

I agree with Mark,what was with of all the shots of the cosmos?,and as for the dark shots of people stuffing their faces with meat in a very unflattering way,dramatic or what!!.Did I learn anything new or startling from watching this program?no not at all,but at least it did give me any cause for concern re. my health
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:40

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 249/ 199/175 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 68%

I should have proof read what I just posted I should have said the program DID NOT give me cause for concern.!!!!!!!!!!.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/198/168 Female 1.5m
BF:
Progress: 40%

Well! What can I say? I watched the programme on BBC2.

Here's the scoop. Ready?

Well, apparently people on Atkins lose more weight than people on ordinary low calorie/low fat diets because...................(drum roll)...............we eat LESS calories than the others. Apparently protein fills you more so you eat less. It's that simple. There were many, many (many) different parts to the experiment but the UK did a televised study of the 4 major diets and the results were shown tonight. ATKINS IS THE BEST! But for different reasons than that shown in Dr Atkins books. They discounted ketosis as a factor. They discounted the theory that it took more energy to burn fat and protein. The man was right but for different reasons.

Either way, for all those Doubting Thomases out there........... we are all vindicated. We are doing the right thing.

They proved that cholesterol actually went down too.

The only thing they couldn't comment on was what it did to us long term.

FYI This was a totally INDEPENDENT study.

For what it's worth I feel they should have mentioned more about how healthy most people feel. It's not all about weight. I no longer feel anxious and edgy, shaky and moody. This I truly believe is down to Atkins. I fully expected the poor old liver to feature but nothing! Weird.