Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 14:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just had my first glass of Carb Countdown 2% milk and I just wanted to tell everyone it was wonderful. I haven't had milk since September so it tasted great to me.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 14:35

Stats: 260/237/149 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Welcome Adukart. I had to chuckle that you are only 9 lbs from goal. Wow, wish I was there. Then I realized how right you are to do something about it now. If I did something when I was only 9 lbs. from goal there wouldn't be 100lbs. to lose. So glad you're here with us.

Would you all be willing to discuss why when we are complimented or lose we tend to gain. Can it be that deep down we don't want any attention on us? I think if someone can help me I may be more successful. I also goof up when I am close to a weight goal. HELP please.

Annie, I am going to look for TerryLynne and Heather. Blessings to all, Maureen
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 15:27

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

Thank you very much want2bfit, that is one of the first positive things I've heard about this WOL for me. The only other positve thing I can remember is my fiance saying that he's glad I don't complain about gaining weight anymore. I guess I complained alot when I didn't have it under control and with it fluctuating all the time I got pretty grumpy. Knowing that the rest of my family is over weight, I just didn't want to sit around and wait for it to happen to me. You really made me feel good about the decision I made to do this. Everyone else says that I don't need to lose weight. The thing is that I know that, I just want it under my control and for to be my decision. About the compliment thing, I never really noticed before but I also reward myself when I get a compliment.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 18:24

Plan: card addicts
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 64 inchs
BF:

My what a growing group of wonderful people we have going here.

Angie if you can beat the weight you can beat the smoking. We are all here for you.

I've also noticed that when someone says something about the Incredible Shrinking Tina that I think " Hey I should eat some chocolate , I deserve it".

TOM has arrived 2 months late. I was thinking baby. Sad in away but not sad at the same time. That must sound terrible. I'm the pround Mom of an almost 18 year old DH and a 12 year old DSS. They are both very trying at times and think they are older then they are.

Well anyone doing CAD? I was thinking about giving it a try, but then again I'm doing well on Atkins.

See you all soon

Tina

Last edited by addicted2s : Fri, Jan-02-04 at 22:56.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 18:44

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

well it's one of those days I have been telling you all about. I am hitting rock bottom depression. I have been eating naughty things little by little..it's like coming in for the kill..ya know!? so I had noodles for dinner and I feel like the cravings are done....HOWEVER while I feel soothed I also feel really terrible like I cant control my friggen moods at all and that I am sabotaging myself.....before starting Atkins in August I spent about 18 months eating and eating and eating and eating and eating...and I am NOT kidding! I would eat, feel full and think..better eat more after all what can it possibly do to me...am already so fat it doesnt matter. BUT IT DOES MATTER! look what happened to me! I got buried so far under fat and depression and I am so afraid to end up there ever again! I HAVE GOT TO get back to daily workouts! its the only way to combat this depression. I need help, support at home from my husband so I can get this done. My kids arent gonna let me willingly ever.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 18:49

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2s
I'm the pround Mom of an almost 18 year old DH and a 12 year old SDS. They are both very trying at times and think they are older then they are.

Tina
So do you mean you have an 18 year old married son and a 12 year old step son? or do you mena you have an 18 year old and a husband and a 12 year old step son? lololol I am trying to guess
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 20:25

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Annie, you are so right! To me it's is like getting cockey( I look good-I can afford to indulge)! Getting cockey got me out of my 6's and back into tight 10's! " cuz I've been thin for 2 years and I can afford those cookies". Gee, the ways we sabatoge ourselves are bizarre!
How nice to see so many new people!
I need to get some lc icecream recipe's. We have 2 types of machines.
An apple and peanut butter are low glycemic carbs. I 100% believe in a low / moderate carb diet but don't believe the occasional apple or 3 extra cups of brocolli will hurt you.
I failed miserably at really low carb but moderate carb put me in a size 6. Alas , lots of cookies for a year put me back in a 10!
I guess if you really love a fruit or veggie alot I'd find a way to fit it into your plan even if you only have 1/2 an apple etc.
As usual I'm wondering if when I ramble I make any sense?!LOL
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 20:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Getting compliments and going off track I think is the nature of the beast. For most of us our friends and family could not find a compliment for us probably for years because we were gaining weight. How many of you were complimented with your such a great cook, or a great homemaker or anything except how we looked? Now we get all this attention and it goes to our head which we then eat stuff we shouldn't and then it goes to our hips.
angie
angie
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 20:57

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Jessie, sorry your having a hard time. You've come so far already!!!!! I think as a Mom/wife you have so much to do for everyone else that it's so hard to take the time to take care of ourselves. Heck it's hard to remember your given name is not Mom!!!!!
I don't know a thing about clinical depression but I do know about things getting you down and not caring.
My Dad got a terminal illness and eventually couldn't take it and took his own life, my only aunt died, I got a major injury, and my Mom completely fell apart. I felt big time abandoned and alone. I sort of took it out on myself my not taking care of my dm2 and eatting right. I just didn't really care too much . The biggest step was actually realizing how I was feeling and face up to it. That helped me with not feeling guilty for taking the time to take care of ME.
I feel crappy now that my injury flared up again and I cant do my exercise so I hear you there.
How old are your kids? Could you get up before them and exercise? That helped me. I told my boys that was my time if they happened to get up and to park it on the couch or play for that 30 min. Usually they giggled at me while I was doing the aerobics show.
Ask DH to do the bed time thing and give yourself and hour in the tub with a good book, cup of tea etc.
By admitting your depressed I think your starting on the upward climb! Was it better on LC??? I sure felt better.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 21:00

Stats: 260/237/149 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Jessie, I'm sending you a great big hug. You have done an awesome job so far. Imagine walking around the supermarket carrying 10 bags of flour in your arms or a large bag of dog food. How long would you last doing that? Well, you lost that much. Stand up tall and be proud of what you have accomplished. Blessings, Maureen
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 22:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Wow so many honest comments here. I see we all are struggling, each at different weights and places in life, yet we all have been there, haven't we?

Jess, do you have a girlfriend nearby that you can vent with in person? Even if she's at her ideal skinny-minnie weight, or even if she's obese (I have two best friends: One is a type 1 diabetic weighing 350 and I love the socks off of her. The other is a skinny-minnie size 4. They both are there for me because as women, we all struggle with issues.).

Can you find someone like that? Will your hubby understand how important this way of eating is for you? I think if he sees your efforts continue, he will know you're doing this not only for yourself, but for your familiy as well. As for depression, I really know about that. My hubby suffers from severe depression, and when my dad had cancer, he suffered from it horribly as well. In fact, there are so many of my friends who appear "normal" who take anti-depressants. There truly is a place for them, once the right comibation is discovered for each individual. I do wish you well. I can tell you one thing: After my third child in 1992, my periods lasted 3-1/2 weeks long. I cried all the time. I kept Kimberly Clark in business, lemme tell ya. My doc looked at me and said, "God doesn't want you to suffer with this". So I had a hysterectomy and wow, I wasn't blue anymore. But of course, you are younger. Maybe your TOM isn't that drastic yet. Just my thoughts.

Who wrote about DH? I thought the same thing. Is he a hubby that is 18? Maybe I just didn't get it. Inquiring minds want to know.

I ate 1-1/2 gourmet cookies today. Couldn't stand the rest, so that's good. Gave the rest away. I have got to get a handle on this so it is not a habit.

Hugs to you all. SHEILA: we are here for you. You can kick the habit. Make sure you get support from the NIC group because they KNOW what you are going through.

Angie you are so right with your insight. I think I truthfully thought, "I do look better than I have in a long time. I can eat this and it won't hurt." Very bad behavior. The carbs are one thing. The habit of bad thoughts are another.
Hugs Annie
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 22:55

Plan: card addicts
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 64 inchs
BF:

OPPS Goofy Me

I meant DD and DSS . I need to learn to proof read better. The daughter is 18 and the step son is 12. However the Husband acts like he's 18 and sometimes 12 so maybe thats where that all came from.
Thanks for catching it you guys. I couldn't stop laughing when I read it.

Jessie : sorry to hear about your day. Last week I struggled a lot . To much stress. I hope tomorrow is a better day . You should feel proud , you come so far already. Don't let the depression and craving get you, we are all here and ready to listen.

Read the CAD book again tonight, still not sure. I suppose I could give it a try and if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Tina

Last edited by addicted2s : Fri, Jan-02-04 at 23:02.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 23:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I think we all need a group hug. Okay gather around and .
Jesse If you need to vent here go ahead. We have alot of people who have great ideas. Please , please keep going. Try and get some walking in, it will help you tremediously as you know.
take care
angie
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 13:09

Stats: 215/201/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 19%

Jess, I went through some post partum depression after my 2nd dd was born. It was really a difficult time, because I had this gorgeous, new, baby girl and I was too depressed and lethargic to enjoy and appreciate her. And I had a toddler to look after, besides. I did go on anti-depressants for 5 months, but I don't know if those helped, so much as you just have to work through it. It's really a difficult thing to do. You have so much to be proud of and to be healthy for. You're doing great!

Tina, thanks for clearing that up.

Sheila, good luck with quitting smoking! I have quit for 9 years now, after smoking for 8 (yes, I started smoking at 15. <shakes head>). It really will help you feel even better.

Angie, when someone pays me a complement, I tend to try to blend into the wall behind me. I think that I probably don't deserve the complements because I'm so big. I don't think I used to do that when I was thinner. I haven't tracked my weight for long enough to establish a link between compliments and weight gain.

Well, I am off to play in the snow with my girls. This is my youngest's first snowfall. Gonna make a snowman and some snow angels!
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 14:34

Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi. I need to get back into a group and start over. I have fallen off for a year! I am now about where I started and it will probably be a lot harder to lose now, so 4-6 pounds a month is all I want to expect. I don't know my weight and don't have a scale right now, but want to get one soon. I'd have to guess I'm about 210. I want to be 195 by Easter.

About the whole eating while doing well. I have found that I eat when people give me compliments because it makes me so angry that they didn't give a darn to compliment me at all when I was heavier. Last Christmas I was 152 lbs. How could I let myself go back? I was angry and bitter. I was also trying to lose for someone else. I am now losing for myself and what comes of it, I will be able to handle now.

There are many kind, honest people in this group and I would like very much to be a part of it.

Amber