Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 12:28
LOVING SUMMER

Plan: COUNTING THOSE CARBS
Stats: 188/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 76%

tburley...your catching up to me with the weight loss and your son lost weight too, I am proud of you both We can get through this together.

don't apologize for venting......that is what I am here for. Yikes about the mil. she sounds obnoxious. My parents live in another state....which can be a good thing sometimes..

I think you may need to create a journal to get into mine. not sure. Have a great day off.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 11:42
LOVING SUMMER

BF:

Hi TBurley

I am down 21 pounds so far and dd is down 6 pounds yeah for us. I was struggling for a few weeks and back on track now. My dd weighed herself this morning and was so happy. She was up and down the scale and now is at 109 would love to see hear at 100 but haven't told her that. She only weighs in every couple of weeks which helps I think. Then my dh went out and bought donuts this morning!!!!!!! I took him to the side and almost took his head off. He apologized. She had only one donut and drank a big glass of water with it. I have to remember she is only 9 but my dh is behaving like he is 9 too.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 20:08

Plan: Medifast/Atkins
Stats: 296/166/135 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

ahhhhhhhhhh....I'm sooooooooo sorry I haven't been around for....ever! lol Congrats to both you and daughter...you guys are really doing great~!! I think summer will really help the kids to get some weight off too. So maybe your daughter will hit that goal by a few weeks into summer! And if she only ate one donut, then she IS learning portion control. Your Hubby sounds alot like mine! lol They just don't get it sometimes! My hubby's down 6 pounds too...(or so he says!) But that beer and McD's doesn't help! lol If he's down 6 pounds it because he's not eating all the junk food he used to. (cause it's just not in the house!)
Jake's not been doing very good lately, but I think he's ready to jump back in. I might wait till after his B-day next week to re-start him. I'd hate to start him and then let him go off of it for his B-day cake!
I'm doing pretty good still. Down some more pounds. I'm at 166 now, just can't believe it.
Ugh...went bra shopping last week....I've been a 38C since I quit breastfeeding and low and behold, these last two pounds I've lost SURELY came from one place ONLY. I had to buy a "B" Cup. I told my hubby that if I hit an "A", I don't care what the cost, I'm getting a boob job! How depressing! I think the next bra I buy will have to be a wonder bra! lol Well...I will try harder not to be such a stranger! I'll chat with you later!!! Keep up the great work! Bye for now!
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 14:26
LOVING SUMMER

BF:

Same goes for me....sorry I haven't posted more often. Life is good. Took my daughter to the dr last week for IBS. Poor baby got it from me. They put her on Miralax and it like a miracle. She is a new person. She hasn't been on a the treadmill much but doing pretty good lcing.

How is Jake? And you must be amazed and pat yourself on the back for your weight loss.

Not much else going on but love to hear from you. TAke care.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 12:50

Plan: Medifast/Atkins
Stats: 296/166/135 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hey there!!! Sorry to hear about the IBS...bummer! I'm sure when she starts feeling better she'll be treading again! And when they can get outside, that'll make a difference! Forget that today though....IT'S SNOWING!!!! UGH!!!! I hate it! A couple weeks ago, it was in the high 60's! I'm so ready for summer!

Jake's not doing well at all. But alot of it is my fault cause I haven't packed his lunch and stuff. I'm terrible! I just need to get back in the habit of doing that! His pants are starting to get tight on him again. I did get the trampoline up, and the boys have really been going to town on that, so I'm hoping the extra activity will help too! We'll try again soon!

I'm doing great! Down another 3 pounds to 163! YEA! Bought myself some junior size 11 jeans, and they fit perfect! Gotta Love it! Have to update my profile again! Also...(hehehehehe) I ordered some "breast enhancement" pills! hehehe. I'm such a goofball! lol They should be here this week sometime~ Suppose to enlarge the breast size by up to 2 cups, and bring back the perkyness and fullness. We'll see! It has a moneyback warranty, so at least I can get my money back if it doesn't work! If it DOES work, I'll be placing another order!! hehe That's the part of my body that I'm THE MOST unhappy about, and I can't afford to have them surgically enlarged. We'll see. Anyways...gotta go pay bills. Keep up the good work, and I'll chat with you later!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:04
LOVING SUMMER

BF:
Talking

Tburley1

I am so happy for you....size 11 wow, good for you!!!!!! I definitely have high hopes for your kids and mine this spring . It is about 30 degrees here with snow expected tonight! at least it won't last too long and melt away.

My family and I leave for Florida on March 31st and I was freaking out because I hadn't lost enough weight and decided not to let it get me down. I am just happy to be going somewhere warm

I hope you have a great week and weekend. What do people say to you since you have so much weight?
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:24

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%

Actually one of the networks did a show on all dieting last week and there was story about a family who lost about 600 lbs total. The father was a chef and I believe he now has a show on the food network about LCing but I've yet to see it.
The interesting think was their teenage son. He also went on the LC diet as a family diet. He lost a lot his confidence is higher, But now he has switched diets. He still does some LCing but he also eats like every other Teenager.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:20
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think you should be just fine. I'm lcing my three kids (ages 5, 3, and 2). They're not overweight, but with mom and dad being overweight....it's not unbelievable that they will be in their future. I made a conscious choice to help them learn to eat better now.

It's an easy thing to change, and with a little effort.....she'll be just as happy. Take out bad veggies first of all. Take out sugar too. If she drinks juice, give her koolaid. Buy the type that needs sugar to be added and then add 24 packets or 1 cup of the boxed splenda. It tastes the same, gives a fruity flavored drink...and cuts out a whole lot of calories and sugar! You can make great desserts that are lc. Check out the recipe section. There are tons of cakes, muffins, and cookies. There's also stuff for bread products too (although personally I haven't had much success with these). The desserts are fabulous though! If you have any trouble with recipes, come to my journal and I'll give you some tips.

I still give my kids fruit. I feel it's bad to limit everything from them as fruit is natural and I still think it's ok for them. I make sure they only get it with one meal though.

Also, you can make sandwiches for them. Buy lc bread (every little bit helps) and you can get lc tortillas for tacos and such. You can even make them pband j. Get sugar free jam (it tastes just as good) and you can get natural peanut butter and sweeten it with splenda....or just use regular peanut butter. I found some of them don't have any more carbs (remember to subtract the fiber from the total carbs when comparing). On low carb bread you have it made!

Why not also include her in your exercise? Go for a walk together, or go to a park and play some soccer or basketball. It would be great for you both physically and it will keep that mother daughter bond strong (you'll need that for the teenage years).

Switch her soda to diet (pepsi is coming out with one sweetened with splenda is she doesn't like the taste of regular diet choices).

Also remember a multivitamin. If you go lc, you should make sure she's getting the nutrients she needs.

If you have any trouble figuring out how to change out foods, come here to the forum (and you can come to my journal with questions too). We'll be happy to help. I think you will find that it's not undo-able and it will help her for life.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 18:56

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

I am envious - and a bit confused. My 12 year old daughter is probably normal - maybe 5'2'' and around 120 lbs. But she gained quite a bit recently - but that may also normal - onset of puberty. I do notice the difference.

She rolls her eyes (anyone hear familiar with teenage girl eye rolls??) about me on low -carb and basically says, don't bother me with this- it is your thing. But all she eats is carbs. Green beans, cauliflower, tomato, and raw red peppers is about the only veggies she ever has, and not in abundance. She is likely to be less than 3 portions of fruit and veggies a day easily - there is another thread on that. She has pizza at various activities and school, and loves pasta, bread and potatoes, and of course huge amounts of sweets. The only meat she eats is hot dogs and beef bologna. Right now, she is very active in sports, and that is probably why she isn't too badly overshooting - she looks like a strong sportsgirl, has muscle, not fat. But I fear the moment she doesn't have the time to do so much sports (high school, college?), these eating habits will catch up on her. I don't know how to gently get her into better habits other than offering the good veggies at every opportunity - talking, suggesting just gets counter reaction.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 03:01
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

The only suggestion I can give is the one my mother would give you. She had six of us, and all of us wanted something different to eat. She made the meal and if we didn't eat it.....well we were real hungry for the next meal. Point in case, if you don't have the bad stuff around, she won't be able to eat it.

I'm not saying put her on a radical diet, but if the only oportunity she has to eat bad is outside the house....then a splurge here and there won't hurt her. You can always make a small adjustment too. If she likes pasta, then balance the meal with equal portions of protein and a good vegetable. Ask her how you could make the veggies more appetizing for her. Does she like melted cheese on things? You could pour a little over veggies. If you can't make a giant change, at least make only one bad thing per meal. It's a step in the right direction.

And most importantly, don't let her stop the exercise. High school should'nt be that demanding that she can't be involved in something active. Even if it's not sports, dance is a great way to exercise....or maybe karate (always helpful for her to learn self defense).

Take it from a kid who grew up during the "low fat" era.....I always craved cheese but my mom would tell me how fattening it was for me. Maybe if I could've eaten it instead of the breads and things that were thought to be so healty (not that it was my mom's fault....she knew no better) I would not have the cravings for the pasta and bread that I do now. Like I said earlier in the post, there are low carb things you can buy or make that can make her diet at least a little more healthy. As for my kids, they are going to learn that the lc way to make a cheesecake is the normal way to make one.....and so on with food. If we teach our young kids how to cook a healthier way now....they will never know the difference. It's only hard for us because we know of other ways to do things. Now we are left to battle with ourselves to do the right thing. Think of how much better our kids will be in the future if they learn good proper nutrition now.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 19:35
LOVING SUMMER

BF:

Hi TBurley

Just trying to catch up and see how things are going....I leave for Florida on Wednesday. I cannot wait for the sun I had a long talk with myself and decided two things...1) try to stay true as I can on the lc WOE and 2) Not caring that I am still 165. Life is too short to worry about that. I want my kids to remember Florida (we go every year) as fun time not mom sulking about her weight.

Hope you are well.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:22
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Hi: I have no justification for being here, as I have no children. But I happened onto this thread, and would like to say that all of you seem like such nice and supportive people to one another.

So this thread is a pleasure to read. While I HAVE no children, I was a child once. And one of the things I am grateful to my mother for is the fact that she never served bread with a meal. As a result, I have little interest in bread of any sort. Too bad she was into candy, but nobody's perfect......

I'm also grateful that she served a wide variety of vegetables with every meal. She didn't force me to eat them, but they were there, and once she got over her 1940's pressure cooker addiction, I found them to be reasonably palatable.

What she didn't do, and I wish she had, was serve salads. My father never liked salads so we never had them. I have finally come to enjoy them, but it didn't come naturally.

I guess my message is that your kids will develop their eating habits based upon what they are served when they are young.

Kudos to all of you who are trying to gently nudge your children into healthy habits.

Kay
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:41

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

I haven't checked into this thread in a while-wow-it's chugging right along. We are all back to our lc woe and doing pretty good. My dd 7 is doing it this time. Dh wanted to go lc with son and I so the whole family had to get on board! I'm trying to work more exercise in to the family activities and trips and that seems to help.

I experimented with lc pizza dough there for a while. I still haven't hit on a perfect one, but I did use the Atkins bread mix once. It's kind of hard to work with (very rubbery) I thought, but if you can hack it into shape, it makes an ok base for pizza toppings. The dau likes the lc pasta pretty well. It's different...but she ate it and didn't seem to mind too much! My kids looooove pasta, esp dd.

How was the Florida trip? We went over Christmas break-there is a post or two about my obsession with fitting into a wetsuit to snorkel with the manatees, lol. Enjoy yourself! I think it's important to project an "I love myself" attitude to your kids no matter what your size at the time. My theory is I don't know anyone in the places I vacation, so I'm going to enjoy myself as much as possible! Lol!

Today in the son's thermos: left over pan browned chicked cut up and covered with etoufee (pre made fron the grocer), an apple, cheese stick, water
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 18:05
LOVING SUMMER

BF:

Tburley....are you out there anywhere? Ha hope life is treating you good
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/158/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 28%

Little changes alone will help. My 10 year old son started, on his own to walk home from school. I have given him atkin type meals and he loves it . Maybe try introducing little things here and there. Build up to a more healthy low carb diet without her aware of it. She should get a growth spurt soon and this too will help. I think now is the time to help her. She will thank you for it someday