Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 12:21

Plan: Nothing refined
Stats: 147/147/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi-
I stumbled upon this thread and even though it's a little old, I thought I would stop by and say "hi".

I'm 52, going through menopause and need to loose about 15-20 pounds.

We love to camp and have a "vintage" MH - we redid the inside of it and repainted the outside. We absolutely love it - so nice to not have a backache when you get up in the morning and to have a potty to go to when it's raining!

We've got quite a few years left before we can retire, but it is our desire and dream to incorporate as much camping as we can!!

Hope all are doing well on the LC WOE!

Deb
NE Indiana
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 11:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/248/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Just found this thread and decided to post!

We started out in tents, camping all over New England. Graduated to a fiberglass "egg" Casita 17' trailer and went snowbirding in Florida. Traveled all over and finally went home to Maine. But we had contracted "hitch itch" wicked bad, so we sold the house and gave away everything a lived in a 35' Open Road fifth wheel pulled by a GMC 1-ton dually. Loved full-timing, but decided to buy a house in Florida (something I SWORE I would never do) and settled down in it this February. Promptly got really BORED so we bought a little Class B+ motorhome last month and are enjoying getting out and about again!

We travel with a Yorkie (really a Miniature Wirehaired Rottweiller) who has grown up in campgrounds and loves traveling.

We're both retired, both overweight, but trying to lose some......

Hope others will post here.....

Cheers!
Mary Ellen
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 17:05
Raising My Pitch

Stats: 188/200/150 Female 5'7"
BF:getting lower
Progress: -32%
Smile

Hi

I've been a member here for some time. Haven't done a post in a long time. I mostly come by and read and check on some of the folks I like to hear about. We have a 72 Vega, it's a darling camper. It has the seventies colors, orange, yellow and avocado, with shag orange-red carpet. We went to a blue grass festival with it a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time. We have looked for a fifth wheel we could afford for about three years and finally found one, 1995 Jayco, with a super slide. It is so pretty and the slide makes it seem so much bigger. We haven't got to go anywhere in it yet. DH had to make a trip to Ohio. He will be gone for about two weeks. Maybe when he gets back we can go on a little trip. As for the LC, I really felt good on that way of eating, but fell off the wagon. I have gained the weight back. Can't seem to get back to eating what I know I should. My difficulty with LC came when go so much and visit lots of family and friends. They want to feed you, I got tired of putting them out, always hearing, "Oh my goodness what can you eat?" I don't know if I have anything to fix. Or, they have it all prepared and find out you can't have most of what they fixed, and it seem to make them feel bad. So I just told DH that when we are traveling and visiting I'm not saying a word about eating, I will be gracious and eat what people have worked to fix. That would be fine if I could then go back to LC when we got home but it hasn't worked for me. I don't seem to be able to get back on board.
Anyway I was on here and saw your camping post and that does interest me I looks camping. Thanks for posting and sparking my interest. Bookiebell
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 06:18

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi ladies. Allen and I have been retired,he for 6 years and I for 2. We donot fulltime but do go away for the winters. The first in Florida and the second in the Rio Grande Valley and this one will be back in the Valley. We love it down there.

We camp in a 36 foot Cedar Creek fifth wheel, 2006. We have three slides and just love it. It truly is our home away from home.

Have not camped a whole lot this summer but are planning a week trip to Ohio in July. We will be staying with friends we have made being away for the winter. They want us to just come to thier home. They have several things planned for our stay and I am looking forward to it very much.

Have a great day ladies.

Linda
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 07:58
Raising My Pitch

Default Rio Grande Valley

Hi Wendy,
We took a trip out West in our 72 Vega, went all the way from GA to Las Vegas, stoped many places of interest along the way. It was a great trip. Our gold if we liked camping, was to find a place South for a few months so DH could wind surf, that is his passion. Also maybe go a few months in the summer to Ohio, nice lakes there to wind surf, he also has family there. So far we haven't accomplished this gold. We are still working on it tho. I would like to know about the Rio Grande Valley. We thought about Corpus Christie, TX. It's quite a ways to get there, but DH says they always have good wind. Something you need to wind surf. We now have a 30 ft. with super slide Jayco Eagle 1995. We can't wait to get her on the road. Sylvia

Last edited by Bookiebell : Tue, Jun-26-07 at 08:00. Reason: left out the grande
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 10:54

Stats: 256/248/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yay! Hi Wendy and Sylvia! We'll get this thread up and running!

Our last trip in "Kit" (short for "evacuation kit") was over to the east coast of Florida to watch the Atlantis space shuttle go up. I had never seen it live, just on TV. And I was quite ho-hum about it, but when it lit up and took off, I was awestruck! Burst right into tears, I did. What a glorious experience. We are going to head over there again for another space shot next week.

Found a wonderful little county park, Manatee Hammock Park, in Titusville, to stay and to watch the launch. VERY nice park with shady sites, a big fishing pier, and really friendly staff. I think it was around $24 a night, taxes included. Full hook-ups. They have monthly and seasonal sites there, too.

After a few days there we went up to Anastasia State Park, which is really nice! Gorgeous beach and lovely shaded, very private campsites. However, I am handicapped and confined to a wheelchair/scooter and really couldn't access the beach area. Very disappointed. Missed being "on" the water as the campsites are in loops away from the beach.

We'll keep ya posted on our travels!

Hugs to new friends,
Mary Ellen
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 07:08

BF:

Good morning Mary Ellen and Sylvia. Isn't camping grand, look at all the places that are a million miles from nowhere and so lovely.

Our camper is still in the shop getting the super slide fixed. I hope it isn't anything too bad. Have not heard from them yet and will not bother them until after tomorrow.

It is windy in south Texas, really anywhere in Texas. We love the Valley, the people, the places to go and the fact that we can go into Mexico. Where we stay it is 7 miles from Mexico if you could just go down the road our resort is on. As it is only a 17 mile drive and we have such fun.

You two have a great day,
Linda
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 08:13
Raising My Pitch

Default Hi Wendy

The Valley sounds great, when DH gets home I'm going to tell him about the place. I would be so thrilled to make a trip down there. How much are the sites? Thanks for telling us about The Rio Grande Valley.
I have to go into town today, I have a whisker plucking appt. at 12:30. Isn't getting older fun,? you don't have hair where you should and it starts growing where it shouldn't. Also my car should be diagnoised sometime today. The Air Conditioner went out Sunday on the way home from Lake Tansi, TN. Have a good day camping buddies. Talk to you later. Sylvia
PS---Thanks also Ellen about the FL. information. I would love to see the Shuttle Launch. The camp grounds sound nice too.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 08:03

BF:

Not sure what they would be this time of the year. In the winter we paid 373 a month plus electric. On the computer I find some that have daily and weekly rates. You would like it.

Still no word on our camper, so will have to call them.

Linda
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 12:34
Raising My Pitch

Angry Winter time

If we went it would be in the winter months. We like to go farther North in the Summers. Trying to escape the heat. To bad you haven't heard about your Camper. I haven't heard about my car either. They did say yesterday that it wasn't a fuse or the freeon, and at that point they were still trying to find out what was wrong. Sylvia
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 14:06

BF:

Someone on our Cedar Creek club forum said that the sounds it is making should not be. I hope Cedar Creek does not take forever to decide just what is going on. I would like to camp some this summer and definitely have it for the winter.

Did 50 minutes in the pool again today and it always makes me feel so good.

Hope you hear about your car soon too, definitely need that.

Linda
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 22:23
Raising My Pitch

Default Repair woes

I got my car back today. It only cost me 760.00. Had to have a new air compressor and dryer. I could cry!! I was rat holeing that money for some house repairs. I have a 2002 Kia Van, in the last few months I have had to put in a new sensor that tells it when to change gears, 300.00. A new alternator 432.00 and now this. Wonder if I need to trade this off? Maybe it will be okay for a while, I hope. My mechanic said, I should get a Honda or Toyota. They don't have as many repairs as the Kia. I just got this one paid off and don't want anymore payments. Darn it. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Hope you get your camper soon. Time is flying. sylvia
PS. I have to get back to the pool. I was going three days a week, and it does make you feel better. I have gotten lazy and finding to many excuses to stay home on my fannie.

Last edited by Bookiebell : Fri, Jun-29-07 at 22:26. Reason: forgot something
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 06:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 213/199/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 19%

good morning. i too have a camper and "retired" to a fulltime lifestyle, so far we are loving it. Just started low carbing and hope to be thinner by key west time. hopefully we will meet some of you in our travels
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 06:23

Plan: Atkin'
Stats: 170/170/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default PaulLyn

We are also RV's and will be on our way to AZ soon. Low carb is easy in an RV. Doesn't take up much room, shop every couple days because everything we eat is fresh. (not frozen, canned or processed) Travel safely. PaulLyn
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 13:02
Raising My Pitch

Default Love Camping

Came here earlier and wrote a message, I was trying to put on some smilies and lost the whole post. I love to camp, we bought a fifth wheel with a super slide and can't wait to take a trip. We still have our 23 ft Vega 1972, it is my baby, love that little old retro camper. It is still in fine shape just a little two small if you go somewhere to stay awhile. Happy camping to you all. Notice I didn't try the smilies, didn't want to do this again.lol

Last edited by Bookiebell : Fri, Oct-26-07 at 13:04. Reason: to many repeats of same word