Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 08:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/275/180 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default HI Sylvia and Lilian

Thanks for the suggestoins re campgrounds. Will check them out for sure.
As far as the water goes it would be great but we can dry camp too long as we can sleep and move onWe like the National Forest and National Park campgrounds as we have a Golden Access Pass and camp for 50% off there..(we are retired after all)..

I'm not sure if Horseshoe cove has moden hookups..my aunt and cousin stay there every Winter and use a laptop, I can check.and we like it as it's close to I-75 but you'd never know it. It's so secluded. They have a webpage , Horseshoe Cove RV Resort,( Bradenton)Maybe we need LowCarb stickers so when we camp other people can notice in campgrounds and exchange ideas.We belong to IRV2 and have one of theirs, also Good Sam. Hubby doesnt like stickers on RV so we'll put them n a name board to display at campgrounds.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 18:26
Raising My Pitch

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/200/150 Female 5'7"
BF:getting lower
Progress: -32%

We have a Golden Card also, it sure came in handy when we went out west, we got in the Grand Canyon free with the card. That was a 25.00 per car savings. Also all the Corp. of Eng. Parks half price. We have a Camping World Card and can stay at their parks for half price. Also got the Good Sams Club, it is 10% off, I don't like them much because they send to much junk mail to you. Trying to sell you things. We use the Camping World card allot.
Happy Camping
Sylvia
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 22:09
Registered Member

Stats: 218/176/165 Female 5ft 10 in
BF:?
Progress: 79%

HiMaxine and Sylvia,we are ready to leave tomorrow. Ive been fighting a hacking cough and will check at the clinic tomorrow before we leave to make sure my lungs are in good shape. We too have the Good same card but none of the others, but you can be sure we'll look into them. Thanks for that info. Low carb stickers for us, that''s a great idea, we'd be able to identify other people who are working at this WOE. Will look in whenever we find a modem hookup, keep well everyone and have a great holiday season.
Lilian
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 23:28
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Hi all, We are actually full time RV'ers but haven't gone anywhere!! We have a few more years to retirement, but weren't happy home owners, so we sold the house and bought a Newmar Kountry Star 5th wheel & Ford F500. The reason we haven't traveled is because we are still working but we belonged to a couple of "membership resort" systems and went between the two until I started working in one of them and we haven't left in almost 8 years. I'm now the general manager and really like my job. We also had 1 child still at home, although she wandered off recently (not too far). Love that empty nest! We have 2 other kids 28 & 31, both with families

We just started LCing and we're both off to a fairly good start. Really enjoy the forum!

Last edited by Lindym : Mon, Feb-09-04 at 23:29.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 07:06
Registered Member

I'm so happy to see someone drop in here. I check all the time but seem to have been deserted. Welcome Lindym. Boy, you have a truck and a half with the F500. We have the F350 and pull at 36 foot Jayco Designer. We are very happy in our life style and find lo carbing just as easy on the road as when staying at home. We too have 3 kids although a little older than yours, as am I. We will soon be on the road to Texas, (leaving on Thursday). On our last trip to Florida, we had trouble getting on line but when we arrived back in this cold north, our son fixed up our computer and now we should be able to get signed on whenever we want. We started this WOL last summer, have had our ups and downs but on the whole, think it's great. Are your other kids close?
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 08:12

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Good morning ladies, not a full timer but camp when we can. We will not go full time as we want to keep our home.

I have one year, ten months, two weeks and 3 days to go to my retirement. No that I am counting or anything!!!!

I will check in here and see what is going on. Maybe we can trade camping recipe.

We pull a 30 foot Thor TT with a big slide. We really enjoy it and love the room. We pull with a 250 Dodge Ram Diesel and it really pulls well. We do not even know we have anything behind us.

Have a good day ladies,

Linda
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 23:36
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

[QUOTE=Brvida] Are your other kids close?

Brvida, The kids are all within a 35 mile range, which has made it easy to just stay put & not travel. My 31 yro daughter is listed in the forum as Elisann. She & my DH all started Atkins at the same time.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 07:02
Registered Member

Good morning to all
Lindym, it's nice to have the kids close. We share a home with our youngest but the other two are far away! Oh well, being retired, we can visit whenever the whim hits. What kind of embroidery do you do? I enjoy doing the counted cross stitch and always have something on the go, sometimes more than one, like now.

Windy, understand about wanting to keep your home, that's why we're so lucky. When we leave, our son just takes over all the payments. When we return, it's split 50/50. Who could ask for anything better.

I enjoy cooking so if anyone has a fravorite recipe to share, would appreciate it.

Lilian
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 07:03
Registered Member

Woops, the question about embroidery should have been directed to Windy.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 19:39
Registered Member

Stats: 205/183/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

We, too are RVers, though not full time either. I am 51 and DH is 56, but he "retired" on disability 2 years ago. He has since become a member of our town board and the Executive Vice President of the local Chamber of Commerce, so it is difficult for us to to away for long. We also have 3 grandchildren that I can't bear to be away from for too long!

We stored our 35' diesel pusher motorhome in South Carolina this winter and are about to leave on Sunday for our second two week trip down there. It is not real warm in South Carolina in the winter, but it is a lot better than central New York!

We travel with our 11 month old black lab. She travels real well, even though she takes up a lot of room.

I think that cooking low carb is easier when in our RV. Eating meat and veggies is a lot simpler than adding potatoes or pasta to the meal. We have a crock pot and use that a lot in the motorhome. We just put a hunk of meat in it in the morning, go off for the day on an adventure and have dinner ready for us when we get back.

I also do a lot of counted cross stitch plus painting, reading and computing. We can access the internet using our cell phone, when in the network. The last campground we stayed in in Myrtle Beach had a wireless internet connection. That was real nice. We were always connected and didn't have to worry about minutes or if it was after 9:00.

Glad to hear of other low-carb rvers! Sue
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 06:22
Registered Member

Hi Tulsagram
Did you have a nice trip down? We are leaving for Virginia today, have to load the truck and we'll be on our way. Our 5th wheeler is in Indianna where there were some repairs to be done. We pick it up on the 25th and are on our way to Texas. I read in your journal about some 15 min recipes, where did you find them? I don't cook at lunch time but try to prepare something the night before that we can eat, when we are in warmer weather that is. When we are in cold weather, we try to stop at the Flying J, they have the most wonderful outrageous oumlette. It usually serves the two of us. In Texas, hope there are places to get lo carb things, which I'm happy about. My DH loves his desserts so try to have something made so he isn't tempted to run to the store for something 'bad'.

Have a safe trip Tulsagram, will check in when we can.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 19:05
Raising My Pitch

Stats: 188/200/150 Female 5'7"
BF:getting lower
Progress: -32%

Good to get back home and see the traffic on the RVing board. We went up to Ohio for one of the grandson's birthday. We stayed a week with my sister and her DH. We had a real good visit, got to see just about all the family and friends there. Got back home last night around 7:30 PM. Everything is unloaded and the weather was nice enough today to wash all the salt off the car.
Sounds like everyone is enjoying their campers and this way of life. We like it when we can go!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 11:37
Registered Member

Stats: 205/183/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Brvida. The 15 minute recipes are from Dana Carpender's newest cookbook, 15-Minute Low-Carb Recipes. I use it all the time at home and always bring my copy with me when we are on the road. Sue
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 08:25

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I do some counted, some stamped and like to try crewel work. I also chrocet a lot, anything to keep my hands and mind busy. Have a good day Lilian.

Linda
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 16:43
Registered Member

Haven't been here for awhile. We are in Texas now,visiting our daughter. I got on the scales this morning after forgetting about them for a few weeks. Our trip down here and the week of getting settled have not been good for our WOL. We have been snacking constantly, and now I have decided I am going to start induction again. Wish me luck!