Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 05:34

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Protein Power Pals - Sunday Nov 16

Missed you folks....

Wendy:

Maybe you should put yesterday's post in the thread on success stories

Elaine:
Glad to see the cold is nearly gone. Yeti groupies - there has to be PhotoShop opportunity here....

Bawdy:
Hope the store still has the fabric.

Not sure what would be causing the moods unless it is hormones in the disappearing fat - remember I has problems with that when I was losing fairly quickly back in the early summer.

Re: animal accidents - I had a friend with this problem - she found some tablets at a pet store that turn the animal's urine colors without harming them - you give it to one and then see if you colored or non-colored puddles... the 16 yo cat may be having problems with bladder control.... not sure how that would be treated in felines.

The story about the guy at work is sad, but not all that uncommon. Remember, I worked in addiction counseling for a number of years - making major changes - even changes that are definitely positive - changes the family dynamics dramatically. Just as it takes a while for the changes in ourselves to become real (Wendy's new shirts look too small, but fit), it takes families time to adjust to the new us and figure out how to relate to us. Hubby and I have been thru some of this - though we didn't step out of the marriage to deal with it. That indicates some other problems likely existed and will need to be dealt with if they try to reconcile after they come to terms with who they are....

Kristine
Wonderful to see you here. Sorry to hear the internet access has had problems

Lisette:
Great to see you. Know about the excess deer population causing problems for the herds. We have so much protected area (Smoky Mountain Park and preserves) that our deer experience all sorts of problems. Wish they would allow some controlled hunts to thin things for the good of the herds.

Rob:
Guess I'm a groupie too - glad to see you posting - I missed you.

Last edited by Orang : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 06:42.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 08:33

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi! We had a lovely night out. After visiting 4 jewelry stores, we finally found the perfect anniversary ring at the 5th store. It's one of those three diamond ones (you know, past/present/future). Beautiful. Very simple setting. Not gawdy at all, like some of them are. Then we had a wonderful dinner with friends at a restaurant I'd never been to before. It was quite good, but a little pretentious, if you know what I mean. My dinner was a filet mignon (about 2 inches thick and about as big around as my palm), maybe 1/2 cup of swiss chard, and maybe 1/2 cup of garlic mashed potatoes. $29. That's pretty pricey, if you ask me. At least they didn't water down the alcohol!

For dessert I had a caramel ice cream with praline topping and bourbon glaze over the top. Way too sweet. I ate only about half of it.

Geez, it's been light around here the past few days. People must be getting busier as the holidays approach. I still can't get over Wendy. Something just sure clicked for her. I'm so happy for her, and a bit jealous, I have to admit. Wendy, your menu does look like a lot to eat, but if it's working, then it must be right. I know it's more than I'm eating these days, and I'm still stuck at 165. But, again, my clothes are getting looser, so maybe I'm in that "the fat in my fat cells is being replaced by water and soon they will release the water" phase.

Orang, I'll look at the pet store for those tablets. Narrowing it down to which animal it is will help. By the way, it happened again this morning. The dog was locked up with us all night (baby gate in front of doorway). I woke up at 4:30 and decided to let her out. While she was out, I checked all the usual places. Nothing. So she came in and I fed her. After that, I asked if she wanted to go out again, but instead she just climbed the stairs back to the bedroom. As far as I know, she was then with us until I got up again at 7:00 (I was more dozing than sleeping, and really think she was with us).

DH got up first at 7:00, and as he passed my side of the bed to go out of the bedroom, he nonchalantly said, "Be careful not to step on the dead mouse when you get up" and walked into the bathroom.

So he went down to make coffee and there was a puddle on the kitchen floor right in front of the dishwasher (no puddle there earlier). I just don't get it.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 08:35.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 09:05

BF:

OK, Wendy. I double-checked the numbers on the menu you posted yesterday. I just couldn't believe all that food (especially all those high-fat nuts) could possibly add up to only 1300 calories.

You were right. My numbers were almost identical to yours. The minor differences came from a few guesstimates on my part. If anyone wants to see how the numbers look, go look at today's entry in my fitday journal (the link is in my signature).

I'm amazed! After all, it took me about 20 minutes to enter all food that in!!!!

Hmmmm. I have to do some grocery shopping today. Maybe I'll get a couple days' worth of similar food and see what happens. How did you come up with that combination of foods?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 10:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Morning all. Go Buckeyes, yet again another nail-biter! I'm losing prescious years off the end of my life by being an Ohio State football fan. But somehow we won again, and so my flag outside my apt is allowed to keep flying (that's my rule). I kept it there most of the year last year till summer came around and I wanted to use my grill again My dad is even funnier. He has three flags he flies on his garage on Saturdays (OSU for me and my one sister who went there, Michigan State for himself and my mom, and Kentucky for my other sister). Only the winners are allowed to stay up the next day. It's pretty amusing.

Today weight is holding again at 151.5, yippee. I was even a little afraid b/c last night I went to dinner with my friend (female, not male--haven't talked to him in a couple days) and had a big salad which had blue cheese, bacon, almonds, and blue cheese dressing in it. It wasn't bad carb-wise, but the calories were certainly higher than I'd like. Also, I try not to combine meals and snacks all at once, but that usually happens when I go out to eat. Basically that eating plan I posted yesterday is almost always how I eat, 3 low calorie meals (right now at 300 calories each), with 4 100-calorie snacks. The spacing of all the mini-meals seems to have been another factor in my success I think. Grady, I basically eat the same thing every day, so my menu doesn't vary a whole lot. And when I up my calories, it is just by 50 calories per meal, and that's very easy to do by adding a little more fat/couple extra carbs. I add a few nuts here and there to round off my caloric totals for meals and snacks. For example, an egg on its own is only 75 calories, so I add 4 almonds to get it to about 100 calories. It's so nice to be able to eat as many nuts as I am right now. I do not feel deprived in the least. Every day I eat at least one, if not more servings of both cottage cheese (1/2 c.) and yogurt (1/3 c.), but they aren't enormous portions. Same goes for the fruit. I eat it at least once a day at breakfast, usually a whole apple or orange or plum or half an apple or orange plus some frozen blueberries I have left over from summer. I eat a fair portion of nuts, mostly almonds, macadamias, pistachios (which I never thought I could eat in moderation), and sunflower seeds. I also shoot for around 120g protein per day, and try to divide it up fairly evenly. The last thing I do is I make my breakfast a bit more carb-heavy. I don't worry if I get 20g carbs at breakfast now, but I limit myself at dinner to no more than 15g total carbs, and my later night snacks tend to be the lowest in carbs. I think our bodies might be able to metabolize them better in the morning, or at least that's my thinking that I have all day to burn them off. As far as working out goes, all I have been doing is my Walk Away the Pound 2 and 3 mile tapes maybe 4-5 times per week, plus an occasional quick Winsor Pilates. I almost always skip exercising on my protein days, and I had been doing some rollerblading, but not as much in the last week b/c it's gotten colder.

Grady-Remember, though, I am not losing anymore at my current level of calories. I ate less food ~1000 calories for most of the initial weight, and then last week when I upped it to 1150 cal (which was 250 calorie meals with 4 100-cal snacks), I still lost a little bit. Although I probably won't lose at this level, I am trying to see how high I can push my calories and get my body to adjust, and then will cycle down again. The biggest difference now is that I've added nuts and more fat than when I was at 1000. I didn't eat any nuts back then b/c the calories would have been too high.

The ring you described sounds beautiful. I don't understand how anyone is interested in anything gawdy. Simple is definitely better. And isn't it amazing how much they charge at good steak places? It is shocking how many people are willing to go there and pay it. They must have some alternate source of income that I just haven't stumbled upon yet

Renee-As always, good to see you back again. You are always missed
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 10:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Grady-The recipes I now use for the homemade parmesan and blue cheese dressings for my salads have around 95 calories per serving.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 10:18

BF:

Wendy, that's a very good point you made about the fact that you are not losing now like you did when you were down around 1000 calories. I had overlooked that. I think I will stay around 1000 calories, but I am going to try adding a little fruit and a few more veggies rather than, say, the LC slice of bread I've been having for breakfast. Also, I'll stay away from the nuts for a while yet. I have some Macadamias in the pantry that I can divide into smaller portions (4 or 5 nuts).

As for exercise, what about all that rollerblading lately? That's enough to burn quite a few calories, I'd say!

This morning I made the Eades' sour-cream pancakes and, of course, ate the whole recipe, even though it's supposed to serve two. And it really does. Whenever I make it (and eat the whole recipe), I'm so full afterward. The recipe is actually easy to cut in half, so I think I'll do that next time. If anyone wants to see the recipe and counts, it's entered in my journal as yesterday's menu. I didn't add the salt or baking powder to the list in fitday, so don't think it's the actual recipe. If you want the recipe, let me know and I'll post it.

Thanks again, Wendy!

Oh, and I agree that "simple yet elegant" is much nicer than gawdy. And believe me, I tried on quite a few that were gawdy. Unknowingly, I tried on several in the price range of $15,000 to $20,000! And I didn't like them! (The relief on DH's face was priceless!) The ring I ended up with was a fraction of the cost of those high-priced ones, and I liked it so much better. See? I'm really a simple girl with simple tastes!

#7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 11:57

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi all, just finished a WATP 2 mile tape, my first exercise since catching this whatever I have. Still coughing but wanted to do the tape.
Had Atkins pancakes with some fresh cranberries and a little fresh orange juice added, a little butter and Splenda maple syrup.
Snack was 2 oz turkey ham and a deli slice of swiss cheese.
Lunch is about to be a turkey ham/cheese salad with a slice of lc bread with a little coconut oil on it. I am ok WW pointswise and I checked in fitday and added the bread because my carbs are too low(way below 60). I have some of that virgin coconut oil around so I thought I'd try a little on the bread.
OK, it's football time, catch you later. Hugs to all.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 12:17

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Bawdy - your ring sounds gorgeous! Happy Anniversary and many more. DH took me out to dinner a few weeks ago and it sounds about the same. $25 for the same thing you had. It was very good and great romantic atmosophere

Wendy - you are awesome!! I used to dread the dressing room in stores and now they are one of my favorite places to hang out Congrats on the new clothes.

Elaine - glad you are feeling better

Orang - good to see you post. Any news on when they will perform the procedure?

Kristine - Hope your computer issues are gone

Lissette - Keep warm

I am feeling better these days. I went to the gym yesterday and am slowly getting back into my routine. I have cut down the amount of time I spend from almost 2 hours to about 45 minutes. When I go the gym I do about 20 mintues of cardio then about 20-30 mintues of wieghts hitting all body parts. Then a agument this with walking and cardio/abs at home a few days a week. I am eating a somewhat CAD type as I allow myself a CAD meal once per week then PP the rest.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 12:44

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Good afternoon all!
It was a foggy mess this morning, dh was gone bow hunting so I chored today, carrying grain buckets out to the calves are great for the arms!!ha Yesterday was a BAD franken day, russel stover sf chocolate covered toffee, it kept calling my name!! I need to try to eat clean today to get it out of my system! The lc woe has helped me with the binging, but I still am having sweet cravings! I need to try to subsitute it with strawberries ect...

Elaine, glad that you are feeling better and WTG on toughing it out for a great work-out! So what team are you cheering for? I have had a great smile on my face this year with KC!!! (yaah Dante Hall!) So what all did you do out-doors wise?? I have hunted deer for the last 15 years, I like the meat, although it all comes down to light meat or dark?HA We like white meat so we eat more white tail and phesant, the mulie and grouse are darker. But it is all good and lean!

Orang, So how are you faring phsically??? and by the way how is your grand (or is it great) grandson doing now??? PS, Can I be a yeti groupie to ?? Did you ever figure out why being on a lc high protein that I was almost turned down at donating? it has Never happened before.

Wendy, so in a nutshell you just spread out your calories, You were losing at 1000? So you just cut out the nuts before?? I think that it is great on how good things are going for you, awhile back you had been so frustrated, I guess that is a lesson to us all, DON"TGIVE UP!!!! Glad that the bucks won! That is hilarious about your dad and the flag "compitition"

BW, Sounds like you had a nice night! And those 3 stone rings can be beautiful! My dh for our 10th, gave me a tanzanite stone, i LOVE it! When we go to the big cities or just going out I will wear it, but I do not wear much for jewelry at the ranch, could you imagine getting a ring lost up a cow when calving??

Hope your pet mystery will be solved soon! Are both pets older??

Hello Robin, Ellie, Kristine(hope your pc problems get better!),Marjorie, and to our favorite Yeti!

Have a great football Sunday!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 12:50

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

HI Ellie!
We must of posted around the same time! glad your feeling better! By the way without sounding blond, what is the CAD woe??? Is it still primarly lc??
Have a good one Ellie!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 13:08

BF:

Oh, shame on me, left out wishing Bawdy happy anniversary!!!
SO.....

Shelly, I just used to fish-freshwater bass and perch, panfish, etc.The only thing I ever hunt is for matching socks lol
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 14:28

BF:

Phew! The body-building Bawdy Wench is back! I just finished up a . . . get this . . . 2-hour-and-20-minute workout and I feel great!

I was cold and feeling draggy and lazy. I've been putting off exercise so much lately. Earlier today, I went over to check my journal, and found Elaine there wondering if I knew about the BFL thread on this board. I said I did, but that I haven't been doing much along those lines lately.

So back to being cold and feeling draggy and lazy. Part of me dearly wanted to turn up the furnace, cuddle up under an afghan, and read a good book. Then Elaine (darn you!) popped into my head and I decided I would jump on the stationary bike for 5 minutes, just to warm up.

So 5 minutes passed, and I figured I'd stay on a while longer, doing the BFL interval training. I ended up doing the entire 20-minute regimen and felt great.

So I thought I would try lifting a few weights. Before I knew it, I had done the entire upper-body series with my standard set of weights (which are at a pretty challenging level).

So then I figured I might as well do a few quad presses and toe presses (we have a machine, and toe presses are the same as quad presses except that you keep your legs straight and just point and flex your toes, so it's like raising up on your tip toes). So I did the full BFL series on those exercises, too.

Then I felt like I should do some stretching, so I got out my favorite stretching tape ("The Home Stretch" by Charlene Prickett). It's a 45-minute routine that stretches every muscle in your body, some I didn't even know I had!

Phew!

Moral of story (this is for me as much as anyone else): Even if you don't feel like exercising, just do it for 5 minutes and then see how you feel. If you feel ok, go for 5 minutes more. Chances are, you'll end up doing a complete workout.

Elaine, glad to hear you're starting to feel better. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to try to get back into your old routine. Your menu looks good, except for the coconut oil. That just sounds yucky to me. I probably would have slipped it into the pancake mix. But, to each her own!

Ellie, you are going to be my motivation to exercise. You go, girl!

Lisette, you're right. Jewelry probably isn't the best thing for you. I remember that scene in "City Slickers" when Billy Crystal has to deliver that calf, and loses his watch in the process!

It sounds like you have a pretty active life there. Me, I sit on my butt most days. My fingers get a workout on the keyboard, but unfortunately that doesn't burn fat. Someone around here has a comic in their signature that shows a woman at a computer, and it says "To lose one pound, double-click here 25,000 times."

I wouldn't worry too much about the low iron. Were you close to your period, or right after it? I have been turned down once or twice for that reason, but was always able to donate again. With all the red-meat protein you eat, you shouldn't have a problem. Next time there's a drive, go again and see if you're able to donate. If not, mention it to your doctor. There are tests that can be done to determine the amount of iron in your blood. There's also a test to determine how much is locked up in your cells, which is a better indicator.

Do you have "Protein Power Lifeplan"? If so, read the chapter on iron. It should answer most of your questions. If not, let me know and I'll look it up and try to summarize it for you.

Catch you later!

Last edited by BawdyWench : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 14:34.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 15:05

BF:

Shelly, the Eagles won and the Redskins lost (my two teams I root for. I live near Philly but I have a soft spot for the 'Skins).

Bawdy, I declare you Workout Queen for the Day(ok, Orang, help me out here, haha)

Don't forget to post tomorrow to tell us how sore you are

Anybody ever make Dobie Muffins or something similar? I'm looking for a low carb muffin to take as a snack at work. I have almond flour, wheat gluten and flax in the house.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 15:43

BF:

Elaine, I thought you'd never ask for me recipe for Dobie Muffins! If I do say so myself, mine are the best ever. Here goes:

2 cups ground flaxseeds
1 cup protein powder (I use Carb Solutions vanilla, which is already sweetened)
1/2 cup SF syrup (try using maple)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
6 eggs
6 tsp extract (if you use SF maple syrup, use maple extract)
1 tsp salt
1 cup water

(note that you're not adding any oil; you won't need it)

Mix dry ingredients together in one bowl, and wet ingredients together in another bowl. Then mix the two. It will be lumpy. Let it sit AT LEAST 5 minutes to thicken.

Bake at 350 for at least 30 minutes. Maybe 45. Better to go a little longer because they stay "wet" in the middle otherwise.

This makes 12 LARGE muffins (or 24 regular-sized muffins).

Nutrition counts for 1 large (or 2 small):

With nuts:
258 calories
17 grams fat
8 grams ECC (fiber has already been deducted)
14 grams protein

No nuts:
193 calories
11 grams fat
7 grams ECC (fiber has already been deducted)
13 grams protein

NOTES: You can flavor these any way you like. For example, you can use orange SF syrup and orange extract. Or vanilla SF syrup and vanilla extract. If you don't have SF syrup, use the same amount of Splenda. Shouldn't make a difference.

Let me know what you think of them!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 15:49

BF:

Wow, that was fast! Thanks, Bawdy. I thought I remembered you as having said you made these.