Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 18:40
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtena
Sorry, I hit the post button too early. What I should have said, was that if the author says it isn't low carb, and the moderators create a forum, he could have his lawyers come after them for misrepresenting his diet. Not that I am saying he would do that, just that he could do that.

Exactly.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 23:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/130/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtena
Don't you think you are overgeneralizing JUST A BIT? I was on Atkins for six months and ground up pork rinds were hardly a staple of my diet.

As for the reason there isn't a forum, didn't one of our moderators explain in an earlier post on this thread that SB is not a low carb diet, according to Dr Agaston himself?

Xtena...I sensed some anger in your reply! I apologize if you were offended by my dry sense of humor. In any case, it appears that the request for a South Beach forum will never be allowed...so be it.
As per my doctor's advise, I plan to cut back on some of the dairy/meat fats in Atkins, and perhaps South Beach diet book will give me some ideas. If you know of any other diets that are low carb/ low fat, I would appreciate hearing about them.
Gail
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 09:11

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

I'm not sure what the price of adding this forum is for the Forum Founders but I would have to agree that if this has any chance of helping people succeed at a low carb WOE then please put it up. I don't do South Beach...Atkins has given me the solutions I need but I would support helping people who feel that SB can give them what they need. If the writer says it's not low carb that's fine but the people who are using the plan are the ones I care about and if they say it's controlled carb eating and want to have a forum I say let 'em. Again subject to the cost in time, effort etc. to the Forum Owners.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 20:07

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagem
Xtena...I sensed some anger in your reply! I apologize if you were offended by my dry sense of humor. In any case, it appears that the request for a South Beach forum will never be allowed...so be it.
As per my doctor's advise, I plan to cut back on some of the dairy/meat fats in Atkins, and perhaps South Beach diet book will give me some ideas. If you know of any other diets that are low carb/ low fat, I would appreciate hearing about them.
Gail

Well I guess I was being oversensitive that day...I did mistake your humor for Atkins bashing. There's so much of that going on in the media and general public, that I pretty ticked off by what I thought was an anti-Atkins comment on this forum.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 00:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/130/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

No problem Xtena! I would now like to post some interesting information I just received by e-mail. The source is Real Age.com

"In a recent study, people who consumed a low-fat diet had the best immune response to an infection-fighting antigen. Researchers speculate that this kind of immune system response could indicate that eating less fat equals less susceptibility to infections."

I have been on Atkins since April 6, and was doing very well health wise in the beginning. However, since Sept 6 I have yet to be well. I have had 2 bad viruses, the first one causing a fibromyalgia flare up and an MS attack, and the second one has caused a lung infection. I wonder if there is a connection??

I believe we should follow the Atkin's program, but also keep an open mind to the new information that is pouring in from the numerous studies being done. It is my impression that Dr. Atkins himself modified his program through the years based upon new findings.

Regards, Gail
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 07:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Schwarzbein Priniciple is NOT a low carb program, which she makes very clear in SPII, yet it's on this site. I think of this place as a "controlled carb" site, not a "low carb" site even though it's called a "low-carber" forum. Basically any plan that removes processed, refined carbs would qualify based on the other programs around here.

Wanda
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 19:57
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I agree with Boom, Archie and WCollier...

We are all helping each other here, our goal is a healthy life free of the bad carbs that are killing us!

There are quite a bit of people here that are following this diet but are in the closet just so they can be here for the vast amount of wonderful knowledge available to them and the wonderful support that this forum gives.

There are alot of people here that are modifying their diets to make them work for them, but still with the same goal in mind.

When you read some of the other diets that have space here, some are a little higher in carbs than others, this world is starting to come around to the understanding how low carb is a better woe, let us open our forum up and let them in.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 209/179.5/140 Female 5'8"
BF:I am afraid to ask
Progress: 43%

I am following the SB diet and would love to see a SB forum added here. I understand what Atikins follwers are saying when they complain that SB isn't a low carb diet, but you know what... I can guarantee that it is a low carb diet compared to how I was eating just last week! When i joined these forums I had NO CLUE that there were people in here that would think that I am less of a low carb follower than they are simply becuase I picked up the SB book instead of the Atkins book (for proof just look under my name, or in my profile I stated South Beach as my plan (gasp!)!... really now! aren't we all in the same boat trying for the same thing??? minimizing the bad and encouraging the good? Some people have mentioned that there are other plans that have more carbs than SB on this forum (I am not that familiar with them) yet they don't get the harrasment that I have seen when it comes to the south beach (i did a forum search). Who knows... I guess it's just one of those little facts of life that I will never be able to figure out.... for anyone who is really "touchy" I am in no way trying to start a heated discussion about this... I am just say JEEZE PEOPLE! we are low carb too!!! just not as low! CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG! (LOL)

AS for all the South Beacher's out there !!! Quit hiding!!! Change your profile to reflect you are a South Beacher!!! I am surely not going to change mine to something else... Maybe then the Admins/Moderator's will see that we are out here and that we are low carb!

OK I will get off my soap box now! lol.... anyother SouthBeacher's want to private message me feel free! I would love to hear from yall!

love you guys!!!!
I am so glad I found you!!!

Tiffany
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 14:36

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

As a follow up, you all who oppose SB being a forum here should know that South Beach diet is being profiled on a show being broadcast this Sunday exploring the Low Carb Revolution.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 14:43
Registered Member

What station is hosting it and do you know the title?
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 15:07

BF:

I am running to get my t v guide, brb
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 15:08

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi TiffanyC,
I don't think it's those on Atkins saying that SB isn't a low carb WOE . Rather it's the Authors of the book.
One way or another personally I welcome all SBer's and would welcome a SB Forum.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 15:10

BF:
Default OK - info on the Low Carb thing on TV

"The Low Carb Revolution" - Sunday (this Sunday Jan. 4) 4 pm, the Food Network. The complete lowdown on losing weight the low-carb way, from Atkins to South Beach. Do they work? Science has the answer.

Thats the description.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 15:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie
Hi TiffanyC,
I don't think it's those on Atkins saying that SB isn't a low carb WOE . Rather it's the Authors of the book.
One way or another personally I welcome all SBer's and would welcome a SB Forum.

You look awesome!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 16:15
Registered Member

I was just thinking the same thing Boom... Thanks for getting that title for me I have Sunday off! I'll set the Tivo just in case I forget...

Thanks for the welcome Archie... I didn't mean to pick on Atkins followers it just seemed that they were the ones who were most upset.. I promise to choose my words more carefully in the future.

Tiffany