Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 13:46

Plan: low-carb high-protein
Stats: 166/163/145
BF:
Progress:
Default weight loss w/thyroid meds

It's not that we expect to rapidly lose weight. But when my doctor told me I would quickly drop the access 10-15 pounds I had gained because of my Hypothyroidism I got my hopes up. It sucks that a doctor would tell you that if it's not the truth.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 16:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi kaleenb,

You're right about the dr. misrepresenting the medication. Maybe she was just trying to be reassuring, but still, we trust the dr. to be truthful ...

Another thought, if the dr. is older ... using thyroid as a "natural" aid to boost the metabolism was popular back in the 1960's and 70's. Right up there with speed. Trouble is, they prescribed it to folks with normal thyroids .... and the hormone basically caused the gland to quit working, so the people remained permanently dependent on the drug, not to mention that it didn't work and had serious side effects when given to normal thyroids.

It's discouraged practise now, but I have heard friends of mine say their doctor offered to prescribe thyroid, even though their blood levels were normal, and the only "symptom" they had was weight gain. That doesn't sound very ethical to me. Just my opinion though.

Doreen
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 18:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default hi kaleenb

my doctor did tell me that I should not gain any more weight, but the medication will not help me reduce my weight. If it did then meds were to strong, I call it the BeWitched effect HA.HA.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/209/185 Female 5 10
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Hello

Hi everyone. I just thought I would put my two cents in!

I had thyroid surgery 2 weeks ago for a large benign nodule that was over 3 inches. I went to the Drs for almost 2 years about my throat constricting and feeling something ! Nothing. Finally when I went to my GYN about a hysterctomy he ran blood tests and I was slightly high. They then ran every test and by this time you did not need to be a Dr to find the nodule it was huge. Out it came 4 months after my hystercomy. I am tired but optimistic. Can't help that , it is my nature anyway I am tired , so I don't know if the left side of my thryoid is producing enough hormonnes , or it is because I had to big surgeries in a short span. I will find out on the 19th of Feb. Other than that I am doing great. I have lost 6 pounds and hope to lose at least 9 more.

Lara if you feel constricted tell your Dr. You never know!

ta

Cath
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/199/145
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Soy- Thyroid problem

Shirley, just curious- what is the problem with soy and thyroid condition? I have a lifelong thyroid condition, take meds, and also low carb. Sometimes I use the soy flour. Is this bad? thanks! Gwen