Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 10:25

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

After reading all of this, i decided to try PP...went out to buy the PP book and will start reading tonight....ive done Atkins...been over a year ive stalled...lost only 10ish pounds...did the zone and nothing either there...so basically been stuck for a year....didnt gain though...i do power walk, bike a lot and all...i know i cant eat too much fat like aktins cause my stomach cant take that much nor my liver...i always eat fresh...im one of them granola person...natural and fresh...anyhow...now i will give this a try...after all ive got nothing to lose so long they are pounds...lol...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 04:48

BF:
Progress:

...since i never have time to eat in the mornings cause running to work, can i take a protein drink instead for a breakfast? i use to do this often with soy milk and whey protein powder...i truly dont have the time and really cant eat in the mornings cause its too early and my stomach cant take it...
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 17:44

Plan: lC/pp
Stats: 250/215/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:50/37/20
Progress: 32%

I just found this topic. I started cutting carbs to help my diabetic husband on June 26. I lost 10 lbs in 10 days then on July 6 I read an article about Soy Protein called "Shake, Shake your pounds away." With this method you drink a protein shake for Breakfast, one for lunch, do a high protein snack and a high protein dinner. (I also do the low carb with it, trying to keep my carbs 50 or less, they sometimes get above 50 but very rarely hit the 100 mark.) It also uses the BMI index to get the amount of protein needed pershake. Mine was at 50 grams per shake when I started, since that time my BMI has dropped a few numbers. Should I continue with the 50 grams or use the BMI index and reduce the protein as the BMI drops? I lost 31 lbs in 47 days.

I've been trying to get around 150 grams of protein a day or more. I think I've developed a kidney stone and someone mentioned they couldn't use protein because of kidney stones. Can too much protein cause them? I've never had one before.

Last edited by cherokee51 : Sun, Aug-22-04 at 17:47. Reason: add more
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 08:43

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

hi lanny,

probably nothing wrong with a protein drink if that is all you can get in. i am of the mind that it is better then nothing, or a doughnut right?!?

hi cherokee,

sory, i don't know anyting about kidny stones
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 14:09

BF:
Progress:

there is one thing that i really cant digest is doughnuts...man do i get heartburns and all...no matter what kind they are i just cant eat them....thank god for that...lolll

thanks guys
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 16:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Lanny, there's nothing wrong with a protein shake now and then. I wouldn't start having them twice a day, though. That's too restrictive and too much like that dreaded word "diet."

Personally, I think it's far better to eat real foods. When I know I'll be really busy, I'll buy a pound of deli ham (be careful on the brand, since some have a lot of carbs, believe it or not!) and have it sliced fairly thin. Then I'll get a block of cheese and slick it into sticks. Then roll the cheese in the ham.

Another idea is to take your ham (or turkey) and spread a bit of sour cream and onion chip dip on it (again, watch the carbs) and then place an asparagas spear on it and roll it up.

You can make these up ahead of time, and just pop a few in a baggie when you're ready to head out the door.

Leave the bars and shakes and processed foods for emergencies. I do keep a stash of bars in my desk drawer, but only have one every couple weeks or so.

Join us in the daily Java Room. We have a lot of food tips and recipes there. Just ask.

Of all the threads in the PP forum, the Java Room is the one most people keep up with, if not every day, at least they go back through to see what they've missed.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 05:08

BF:
Progress:

Ok will stay in Java Room...regarding protein powder i drink one a day in the mornings and i use soy milk unsweeten and has only one carb...i cant eat as i get up...my stomach wont take it..i have to wait like an hour or so...that means, when i get in to work i already have my powder and soy milk there and i have one...before i use to go without breakfast which i still can...but ive decided to put something in my stomach like a smoothie till lunch time...and i always eat fresh and natural...being italian its one thing you learn early in life...ok off to Java...
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 00:45
Registered Member

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 125/122/95 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default South Beach V's Protein Power

Hello,
I've been on the south beach diet for a few months now but today while in the airport i picked up the protein power book. It sounds like a very good diet and not much different then the south beach diet. Is there a huge difference? If so, what diet works best and faster?
thanks
B
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 06:21

BF:
Progress:

Hi Brendie....Ive been reading and not finish a book called Living on the Low Carb Life by Jonny Bowden...someone in here told me to read it cause Bowden explains ALL the low carb diets...and it is so easy to understand..it explains everything on insilin and all...in the book he compares 14 low carb diets..from atkins to the zone...he rates the diets with 5 stars which is the highest and one star lowest...anyhow, he gave both south beach and power protein 5 stars...he also writes at the end of each diet what HE thinks like in a nutshell...the way i read it is that seems he prefers Fat Flush Plan which also got a 5 star...as for atkins 5 stars too but he says not everyone should be on atkins to lose weight even though its a good diet...so basically instead of buying all the books out there cause not sure which diet is better and which is not, you should all pick up that book...then you can go buy the book for that specific diet you want to do...ive tried 4 LC diets (and tried all low fat diets) so far even though i dont have much to lose...to tell you the truth, atkins didnt do anything for me nor did the zone..but thats me...doesnt mean it wont work for you either...the only one that made me lose inches and a few pounds was Fat Flush Plan...but i love the Power Protein way too...which i think it would work too for me...hope this helps you to decide...

Now regarding this forum...why isnt anyone on the PP posts more then that...it is soooooo quiet in here...i post and no one answers...or answers a week later...yes i know some says go in java, but java isnt on specific question but more just anything goes which is neat too...im sure there are a lot of others on Protein Power Plan out there that can make this forum more on the go...i speak my mind, does it show? LOLLLLLL
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 07:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. A big difference between SB and PP is Dr Agatson's unsubstantiated saturated fat phobia. The Eadeses dissect the myths about saturated fat as well as other low carb misconceptions.

My favorite thing about PP is its flexibility, especially if you have Protein Power Lifeplan. They have three different 'comittment' levels depending on just how nit-picky you're willing to be.

I can't say any plan works better than another, but PP makes more sense to me personally.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 17:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny
Now regarding this forum...why isnt anyone on the PP posts more then that...it is soooooo quiet in here...i post and no one answers...or answers a week later...yes i know some says go in java, but java isnt on specific question but more just anything goes which is neat too...im sure there are a lot of others on Protein Power Plan out there that can make this forum more on the go...i speak my mind, does it show? LOLLLLLL

I can only answer for myself. I have very limited time that I can spend on this board. As such, I "subscribe" to posts I've already answered. I don't always think to check the general Protein Power board. But I try to pop in, like today when I noticed that someone posted here.

Tell you what . . . if you don't receive an answer to a post, send me a private message. I promise I'll get back to you.

It's true that there don't seem to be may people following Protein Power, at least who post here.

I, for one, will try to look at ALL the posts in the forum, at least every couple days.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 17:26

BF:

Duh, and in response to Brandie's question, I'm sorry but I know absolutely nothing about the South Beach plan, so I can't give you my opinion.

I know it doesn't help, but I didn't mean to ignore you.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 16:03

BF:
Progress:

heehee Bawdey your cute...i know what you mean..i didnt want to sound like hmmmm a whiner...lol...just that not a lot of others answers PP...seems to be the same ones...so i guess we dont want to answer ourselves...LOL...im like you...reply here and there to other forums...anyhow catch ya here and there girl...
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 16:05

BF:

Lanny, I agree with you. There has never been a lot of people on the Protein Power forum. And yes, the same people tend to answer most of the questions. PP will never be as popular as Atkins.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 14:15

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

hi there.. i saw this post, but didn't reply because i didn't know anything about the southbeach diet. and as far as faster goes....we all loose at different rates no matter what plan we are on so i don't think anybody can predict which is faster.

Quote:
Is there a huge difference? If so, what diet works best and faster?

i guess since there are not that many of us we should reply to posts so people do not feel ignored, even if just to say "i dunno"...