Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/168/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Marathon Runners on Atkins

Hi, I need some help, please... I agreed to train for the NY Marathon in March 2004. I have been on Atkins since 08/08/02. I would love to know what you are refueling your system with before, during and after training and marathon runs.

I am just beginning and will be running the half marathon ~ 13.1 miles. I still have 50+ pounds to lose and I know that since I am training, it will be coming off. It is already replacing muscle where fat was. I am sensitive to dextrose, as well. One lady told me about tubes of peanut butter, but I am afraid of that. I has sugar in it and is not on plan.

I did find a low carb sports drink recipe, but does that mean I will have to carry it to have it at the end? Guess so! Nobody else on my team is a low carb person so they are no help. The last thing I need is to be out of ketosis and want to go to slow down or sleep! LOL!

Every runner's bulletin board that I have been to has bashed this WOE/WOL and I refuse to go off plan. I know there is a way. If you can help me, please feel free!!!

I know that Dr Atkins once had a meeting on TV with another Atkins follower who was/is a triatholon person on Atkins. I would love to get a hold of anyone who can give me some good solid advice.

Thanks so much,
Shelley

Last edited by mmmbeads : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 15:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 21:22

Stats: 138/114/108 Female 5feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

Shelley,
I am a marathon runner. I have only been low carbing for 3 months and I have not run a marathon in this time. I am however, training for a marathon and my mileage is currently up to 16 miles.
I have not seen any ill effects up to this point. My energy levels are good and I am running better than ever with the weight that I have lost.
I am wondering too, if it is safe to continue to bump up my mileage and continue low carb.
I will be watching the postings for some good advice.

Good luck
Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 10:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default Marathon Runners on Atkins cont'd

Hi Karen,

I know some other runners who have run marathons while remaining low carb. I am most interested in the snacks during and after the race. I plan to make my own low carb electrolyte replacement drink, without glucloes, of course.

They say we don't have to worry about hitting the wall because the wall is when our body runs out of glucose/glycogen and converts to burning fats, which we already are doing.

If you hear about what snacks we can use without a laxative effect, please let me know!

Which marathon are you training for now? Whatever it is, have fun and enjoy it!
Shelley
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 14:18

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I have no race goals these days, but workout every day with martial arts, swimming, or cycling (all three have aerobic and anaerobic components). Years ago I trained for and finished Ironman Canada on a high carb diet complete with Gatorade, maltodextrin and carb loading. I can't say the effect of diet on performance because I only did it once. I can say that I did not lose any weight on the HC diet, and I was a big boy (5'9", 190#). As I was just starting LC at the time of this year's Ironman, I asked myself the same question, that is how to fit LC with endurance events. I don't have an answer but, have the following observations and thoughts.

1. As an active person, with no endocrine problems other than those imposed by diet ;P and using every low glycemic trick I can, I have found I can get 20% of calories from carbs, yet maintain ketosis. Those tricks are to:
a) give preference to real, raw foods with low glycemic index. Barley is ultra low GI, and it replaces breakfast cereal and rice quite nicely.
b) balance the carbs with fat and protein every time I eat
2. With 20% carbs, I can survive workouts without trouble, but my performance is not optimum. If I really want to kick butt in an hour or two, I eat a Zone-balanced meal with 40% low GI carbs, then return to 20% for subsequent meals. Carbs give the explosive power that is needed for speed near the anaerobic threshold. Remember, glucose will supply some energy anaerobically (forming lactate). Keep in mind that I am talking about 1-1½ hour workouts, not marathons.
3. I pay attention to the quality of fats. With a high % of short chain fatty acids, butter burns easily without affecting insulin levels. Essential fatty acids have roles in metabolism, lactate disposal and repair of injury.
4. I think that optimum performance requires ready access to both fuel sources. If you can balance insulin and glucagon levels, imho you can get the power from carbs without wasting them (so glycogen stores last longer), and burn fat steadily. If you ever deplete your glycogen (hit the wall) the transition to all fat burning should be seamless.
5. During the race? When I was working at an Ironman bike aid station I noticed about 10% of participants were taking water bottles, then adding their own powder mixes. Perhaps they were protein powders. One racer pulled over to the side and ate a normal lunch: a sandwich and fruit.
6. I get 30% of calories from protein to maintain lean body mass and recommend reading the Zone books by Barry Sears, even if you choose different macronutrient ratios. I tweak his insulin-glucagon balanced formula (40-30-30) to favour ketosis; with 20% carbs, 50% fat, 30% protein.

I would be most interested in what other people are doing. We all know the dangers of being dogmatic
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 15:24

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Shelly,
Congrats on your commitment to training for the marathon. I currently run 50 miles a week training (now tapering) for a 24 hour track run on Nov 8/9th here in San Diego. I follow the Schwarzbein Principle a lower carb program consisting of whole foods and higher carbs than Atkins. I eat higher carbs on my high mileage days and reduce the amount on my off days. For long training runs I eat breakfast prior to running (egg whites, veggies, almond butter) and I eat snacks on my runs, raisens, Zone bars, hammer gels or Cliff shots. I carry my snacks in the pockets of a single bottle holder. Running a marthon I use gels mostly, carry my own water bottle and only have to enter an aid/water station every hour or so to fill up the water. I eat a getl every half hour during a marthon. On longer trail races 50k's, 50 milers, etc. I eat about 200 calories an hour mixing fat with carbs, carbs alone causes stomach distress for me.
After my long run I drink a protein shake with glutamine to aid in muscle recovery. I then revert to my lower carb way of life with no ill effects.
I have tried to run over 4 hours with no carbs and I hit the wall bigtime! Your liver can only store about 4 hours worth of glycogen, after that you need carbs or you will hit the wall. I hear it takes many months and lots of training to teach your body to run on fat first and foremost.
Good luck to you on your marathon and I'm sure the experiences that you gain from your own training will determine how and what your body requires.
Good luck,
Maureen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 15:28

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

One more thing! I sure as heck would not eat any of the so-called low carb bars during the marathon or training. I can only imagine the stomach distress! Yikes, it's hard enough running, let alone wondering if the tummy can digest the sugar alcohols.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 14:15
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, y'all! I worry about how I will feel if I ingest the glucose in the gels. Maybe I will try them when I build up my mileage a bit and see how they affect me. I don't want to wear myself out, but don't want to go off plan either. I get sleepy for three days when I get thrown out of ketosis.

Experimentation is in order, eh?
Shelley
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 15:34

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

It gets easier...everyone was telling me that when I started low carbing and I didn't believe it. Shortly before during a long run, I usually have a lowfat, SMALL carby snack. A banana is a great example. It really helps, especially in the beginning when your body is not too used to the low carbing. If naything, you'll be so afraid of the carbs that you'll want to exercise a little longer to burn them off! You may soon disocver that you don't really need the pre-workout carb snack. On weekend mornings when I do my longer runs, I treat myself to a banana with peanut butter....you burn off all the carbs and you get some protein and fat from the peanut butter. It really sustains me.
I've always avoided the sports drinks because it seems like a waste to drink your calories since they don't make you feel full.
Bottom line is, if you are feeling too weak to run, then up your carbs a little pre-workout because you reap greater benefits, mentally and physically, if you can exercise.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 08:45
Registered Member

BF:

Hi, I did much better yesterday than the previous 2weeks. I did 4 miles yesterday, with ease. Yes, I have been training and working something 6 days a week for two weeks now, trying to get stronger.

The main difference in my performance with changes in my Atkins regime were as follows:

The night before I made a batch of Almond Flax Muffins. OK I was out of almonds, so I omitted them this time. I made the recipe and divided it into 6 muffins. I had 2 (2.92 carbs and 1.65 gms fiber each) muffins on Friday night as my mid evening snack.

Two hours before my training started, I had an atkins protein shake, some blackberries, some sugar free bacon and two more flaxseed muffins.

I got to the trail 45 minutes early. Minutes later, I was ready to roll! The first mile was a little stiff, but the next three were a steady pace and I felt great!

Please note that the week before, I ate Atkins Faux French Toast, bacon and a few berries. I did have plenty of protein and fat, but not enough carbs to sustain me for over 30 minutes. The secret seems to be to up the carbs, but stay on the right path as far as the kinds of sugars you ingest? Such as dextrose instead of sucrose or fructose which have to be metabolised in the liver and cause me to go out of ketosis.

I have been reading the archives of Lyle MacDonald's posts on low carb and exercising. As I increase my mileage, I might have to improvise further, since the carbs only last 90-120 minutes at the most before you have to refuel.

Also, I read posts from people who were carbing with dextrose every 15-30 minutes. Still have to do some homework on that one. Apparently, dextrose bypasses the liver and dies not cause insulin spikes. It is pushed into the muscles for use.

This week when I go on the walk/run portion of my training again, I will see what else works for me, allowing me to remain on plan and burn the fat that I have plenty of at this moment.

Any comments from Atkins followers who have experience with marathon training and running/workouts ?
Thanks for reading this and helping me figure out this part of my plan.

Today is a good resting day!!
Shelley

Last edited by mmmbeads : Sun, Nov-09-03 at 08:52.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 16:07
Registered Member

BF:

I signed up for my first registration number yesterday! I am so excited! I lost another inch off my hips this week. I have stayed the same weight even though I am building muscles in my legs. This is week 8 of my training. I added pilates in as one of my cross training events once a week. It is HARD! It shows me that I need more core strength.

Will be doing 7 miles on Saturday... Sweet tarts have been getting me through the long run days, along with Atkins protein shake or Ultra Whey wildberry flavor with stevia and some added raspberries or blackberries. Trying not to eat much solid food before my walk/running sessions. Always have a good lunch and dinner afterwards. Seems easier than eating eggs, bacon, etc. Trying to adjust where I don't have to make any stops on the trail.

Have you any advice for me? I tried getting on the rower before my trail activity, but it never fails... 30 minutes down the trail and I am longing for the bathroom. Help!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 14:01
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

I've been on Atkins for six months. In that time I've run one marathon, three 50-mile races and one 100-mile race. Through trial-and-error I've found what works for me. That doesn't mean it will work for you or anyone else.

Without a small amount of extra carbs an hour or so before a workout, I have problems maintaining pace. I can walk easily but no energy to run. So an hour before the run I find some carbs: a bagel, banana, whatever.

If I feel drained after the workout that tells me I've used up the ingested carbs so I might take a bit more. Ingested carbs during exercise are utilized without stimulating insulin. So you shouldn't worry about what kind of carb you're eating.

For extra long runs I carry Hammergel. It's a dense, easily digested calorie source. I take a slug every hour or so.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 15:02
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you SO much for your input!!! I have been so concerned and have been thinking about trying some gels on my long days, to see how they affect me.

What do you do for your pre-race meals the night before?
Appreciate your help!
Shelley

Last edited by mmmbeads : Fri, Dec-19-03 at 15:05.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 16:00
Registered Member

BF:

Certainly no carb-loading. I think the night before the 100 mile race I had a big plate of bean burritos. During the race we runners had peanut butter burritos or bean burritos available. After dark we had bean soup. Beef jerky was also available but that's too difficult to digest.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 20:52
Registered Member

BF:

ahahaha! Blazing saddles, eh?
Thanks again for your help. I got some gel packs from my brother tonight. I will try one in the morning about an hour before my 7 miler? Or should I wait longer?
Shelley
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 10:08
Registered Member

BF:

If it's something like Gu or Hammergel, don't wait an hour. They're designed to be absorbed quickly. Same for bananas. If you eat a bagel or a starchy vegetable, it takes a while to be digested and absorbed. That's what the hour is for. But it's all a matter of trial-and-error, as I mentioned before.