Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:37

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts diet
Stats: 180/172/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default What does everybody eat for breakfast?

I've only been on CAD for about a month,and I really like it. So far,I've lost 8 pounds.
Is there anything else you can eat for breakfast besides eggs?
I LOVE eggs,but I have high cholesterol. I've heard that this way of eating can lower your cholesterol,but can it by eating eggs?
My typical breakfast,is 6 oz. low sodium v8 juice,1 egg;sometimes fried,sometimes scrambled,1 small low fat breakfast sausage,and a cup of coffee with FF half & half.
Another question: you're supposed to eat a salad,and or veggies for both CM meals. I can't seem to bring myself to eat salad,or veggies for breakfast;though I love salad.
Do you all eat veggies for breakfast?

I find myself sometimes getting hungry between meals;so have a tendancy to eat heavy at the RM.

I'm tryng so hard to balance this out. Thinking I should eat a little more for CM meals,and a little less for the RM.

But overall,I'm finding breakfast my most difficult meal,as I eat the same thing all the time,and about an hour later am getting hungry.
DottyAnn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:44

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 150/145/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi DottyAnn: I'm an Atkins dieter. I too find breakfast most challenging. I too have high cholesterol. I don't always have time to cook the eggs and whatever meat either. I try to 2-3 days a week. I've been eating lean deli turkey and cheese; or celery with a smear of peanut butter on it.

For your vege requirement, through some in your egg for an omelet.

I've been trying to find a very low carb bread or cereal to eat but haven't ran across anything yet.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 22:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/231/135 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I am on Atkins. But I have don CAD. I decided to go with atkins becuase you can eat when you are hungry and not just the three meals a day. Ocasionally I will plan to have a meal off plan and then I do stick to the one hour time limit from the CAD. It seems to help. Anyhow, to the main question. I have a tendancy to eat sausages and hard boiled eggs every day. I have noticed for me that having the food done ahead seems to help. I Get some of those glad bowls and make everything up on Sunday and put it in these bowls in the fridge or freezer and that way I can just microwave it for a few minutes and breakfast is all ready. I have done this with omlets, bacon and all kinds of foods. I also cook serveral chicken breasts up ahead of time and keep them in a ziplock in the fridge. Pre-planning seems to be the key for me. If I don't I seem to eat what ever is handy, and it is not always what is best for me...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 23:23

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Too much worry about eggs!

I wouldn't be so concerned about eggs...they get an unecessarily bad rap. If you look at the nutritional info about most eggs, you'll see they really aren't that high in cholesterol.

The average egg has 4.5g of fat...1.5 of saturated and .5g polyunsaturated and 2.5g of monounsaturated. I usually get the eggs enriched with Omega3, which are even higher in polyunsaturated fat and about 15+% lower in cholesterol.

Eggs are an inexpensive, good-tasting and flexible staple in a low-carb diet. They are close to being a "perfect" LC food. I love scrambled eggs, but for a quick breakfast I cook them in a microwave poacher. Also, there is a great "mock danish" recipe somewhere on this board that is a sweetish twist on eggs thats good for breaking "having eggs everyday" boredom.

Enjoy!

Brian
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 03:53

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

I am not a huge breakfast person but I kinda force myself to eat something after I get back from CURVES. Like today, I will have a ham/cheese rolled up in a low-carb tortilla w/littel mayo and little lettuce. Yes, more like a lunch menu but I am not big on "breakfast foods" anyway.

There are times I have a few eggs or last night's dinner. I also bought flax-o-meal hot cereal which is pretty good.... I also have some Atkins cereal but for some reason "cereal" (cold) doesn't satisfy me.

Basically you can eat anything you want for breakfast (not necessarilly breakfast food) but I definitely think you should eat something and not skip meals. Your brain and body need to function and food gives you the energy for that.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 04:50

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

I have a protein shake for breakfast.

When I wasn't doing WW, I would make an omelet with sausage, eggs, and either veggies on the side or in the omelet.

I was wondering about the V-8 juice. Isn't it a bit high in carbs to have for a CM?

If you don't want eggs, you can cook up extra meat the night before and have that with some veggies. Or wrap it in some lettuce.

I find that carbs trigger hunger, so if my RM wasn't balanced or I had too high a carb veggie, I will be hungry later.

Are you hungry all day or just at the RM time?

Sometimes, I will make up a big pot of soup with cabbages, celery, some chicken and/or pork. I use whatever LC veggies I have on hard that seem like they would be good. With the meat added, it's a good alternative to eat when I get really hungry, whether it's a CM or a CS. If you are hungry between meals, you can eat something, according to the CALP plan.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 08:15

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I too would be concerned about the V8 juice. I had a bottle in the house for RM's quite some time ago and I am pretty sure it had more than 4g carb/serving. It could be the source of the after-breakfast "hunger". I think you are safest to stick to foods listed in the CM allowable list as much as possible. There is a reason we are limited to those. I find CAD works best that way too.

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out since CAD is really a great program when it works for you
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 08:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

You seem to be using alot of low fat and fat free products. These tend to have higher carb levels and togather with the V8 juice are probably the source of your between meal hunger.
I usually have a cunk of leftover meat (piece of chicken, steak, etc.) or if none available a couple of hard boiled eggs (I keep a supply of these) for breakfast when I have to go to work. I usually have eggs for breakfast on weekends. My cholestorol has gone way down since I have been eating like this.
I think that if you changed from low fat sausage to regular, ff 1/2 & 1/2 to cream, and dropped the V8, you may lose that mid morning hunger.
Your coffee can also trigger an insulin spike which can cause hunger. You may want to try decaff for a while and see if that helps.
Good luck
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 10:05

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Dotty Ann: I have high cholesterol too, and it is coming down doing CAD as written, no low fat foods for me, they don't satisfy. Just a cautionary note about a couple of replies: peanut butter is not and allowed food at CM, and as good as the Mock Danish is some of us find it causes cravings and/or stalls. Most CADers are best off avoiding low carb recipes at CM and just eating plain ordinary foods off the allowed lists in the book. I rarely eat breakfast now, just decaf with 1/2 and 1/2, but if I do it's and chunk of cheese and cucumbers - light satisfying and easy to prepare. I have found that the more I eat in the morning the more hungry I am during the day!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 16:07

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Red face I'm very conventional...

I soak 4 strips of bacon in the fridge overnight in water to suck out the salt/sugar/nitrates, then fry them up with two eggs over easy...frying the eggs in the bacon fat makes me VERY satisfied until my noonday meal!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

You know, even when I was Atkins, I was always curious why everyone had such a hard time for breakfast. Eggs n bacon n sausage n ham ...seems so super easy and neat. Breakfast meats cook fast, as do eggs. So what did y'all eat pre-cad/atkins/whatever for breakfast? Sorry ...just a lil curious.
ps I eat breakfast for dinner usually, not a breakfast eater, so I guess my answer to the question is ...coffee with milk n splenda in less than 15 mins
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 18:49

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts diet
Stats: 180/172/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I'm enjoying reading all your replys,and like I said. I LOVE eggs for breakfast with sausage or bacon. I could eat them every day with no problem,but my biggest concern is,that I have high cholesterol,and can't imagine how my cholesterol can come down by eating eggs every day,or bacon. Is there some "Magic", in the CAD diet,that you can eat eggs most every day,and still have your cholesterol come down?
DottyAnn
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 05:10

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

The magic comes from not having carbs at every meal and limiting the carb intake to no more than 60 minutes at the RM.

Also, from eating good fats, like olive oil and avoiding bad fats, like hydrogenated fats (like in most margerines and many other foods)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 09:07

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Their is a school of thought, the Heller's are a part of it, that say's that it is not fats (except in large amounts - which isn't part of CAD anyway) that cause elevated cholesterol and later heart disease, but carbs. The reason carbs are a problem is that they keep insulin levels high and this school of thinking says excess insulin is what causes elevated lipids and other heart concerns. You may find it interesting to read "The Carbohydrate Addicts Heathy Heart Program", I sure did.

Last edited by Jalera2003 : Wed, Oct-15-03 at 09:08.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 13:51
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

I find that i am not hungry for breakfast so i have coffee on workday mornings with swet and low type sweetener...often I have more brunchy type foods at around 10:30 rather than "breakfast" I like stir fry with chicken or lean steak and vegies like cabbage

I used to eat breakfast on atkins but after about a week I thien couldn't stand eggs....

OH and IThinkICAn what I ate in my "regular" bad eating days was a big bowl of sugar coated creal with milk and Orange juice and honey bun or granola bar....all carbs little protein...oh and I was starvvving in about a hour and half!!!