Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 01:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Probably because they're so used to people 'coming off' every other diet going!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 03:14

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default bbc1

whats the programme about though
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 10:43

We don't know yet Gemma - they haven't told us properly.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 13:02

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I'm pleased to see that some of us have replied to the BBC survey. I eventually succumbed myself, even though I don't do Atkins. I thought it might actually be educational for them if I pointed out that there are many low carbers out there who don't actually follow the Atkins Diet. Let's broaden their minds!

Anyway, I thought it would be good if we could all post our emails here to get a flavour of what we have said, from a group point of view, to the BBC. It will be interesting to see if any of it is taken notice of!

Here's my email, anyway: (I'm already thinking of things I missed and should have said! )

Dear Philip Hawkins

I would like to add my comments to your survey, although I need to point out that although I am a low-carber, I have never tried Atkins. It bothers me somewhat that in the media any low carbohydrate diet is always “Atkins”. That is akin to saying that all low fat diets are “Weight Watchers”. Atkins is simply the most well known version – there are many others, some of considerable standing, including the Schwarzbein Principle, Protein Power, the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, the Zone, Dr Bernstein’s Diabetic Solution, Dr Charles Clark’s New Protein Diet, the South Beach Diet, William Banting’s “Letter on Corpulence” (published in 1864!) and the plan I follow, “Eat Fat Get Thin!” by Dr Barry Groves.

Thus, I answer the survey, substituting “low carb” for “Atkins” at each instance.

BBC1's Real Story Atkins Diet Survey

When did you first try the low carb Diet?

A: I started low carbing in April 2001. I was first interested in Protein Power, but after a month, I read “Eat Fat Get Thin” and have been following that plan ever since.

How long did you stay on it?

A: This is a misleading question, akin to “When did you stop beating your wife?”! The whole premise behind low carbing is that it is not a “diet” that you go on and come off. Low carbers call it a WoE (Way of Eating) precisely to avoid that connotation. Because it is such a nutritious and satisfying way to eat, you never need, or want, to “come off it”. I plan to eat this way for ever.

What was your weight BEFORE you tried the low carb Diet?

A: I weighed 12 stone 7 pounds when I started and I was a dress size 18.

What was your weight when you came off the low carb Diet?

A: As I said before, I have no intention of ever “coming off” low carbing.

If you lost weight on the diet, did it stay off when you came off the
diet?

A: I have lost weight whilst low carbing. If I was to stop low carbing, I would certainly regain weight because, like approx 80% of the population, my body does not process carbohydrates as efficiently as fats and proteins, which, as you will know, is called insulin resistance. I would simply convert all the excess carbohydrates to fat. But there is no need or desire or compunction to go back to “low fatting”; we need good fats, essential fats, and we also need amino acids, from proteins - there is no such thing as an “essential carbohydrate”.

If not, what weight did you go up to?

A: Not applicable – and never will be!

Have you tried the Atkins Diet again?

A: Does not compute, I’m afraid - See above.

If so, how many times?

A: Again see above.

What is your weight NOW?

A: 11 stone, a size 12/14 and still slowing shrinking!

Have you suffered any illness or health problems as a result of the
diet?

A: None at all – my health has vastly improved since I began low carbing. I sleep very soundly, wake refreshed in the morning (a revelation to me as I have never been a morning person!) my skin and joints have improved, I don’t get mood swings any more, I feel fitter, healthier and more relaxed than I have ever felt.

Would you try it again?

A: I will always be a low carber.

Did you read the Atkins book before embarking on the diet?

A: No – because I haven’t tried Atkins. I read “Eat Fat Get Thin!” and I have also read Protein Power, have done lots of research on the internet, write a recipe column for Carbhealth Magazine and am a Moderator for the online Yahoo group community “Low carb in the UK”.

Did you follow the guidance in the book?

A: Yes, I followed the guidance in “Eat Fat Get Thin!” I also read Barry Groves’ website, which is at www.second-opinions.co.uk/eatfat.html which is an informative and comprehensive website about nutrition.

What are the positive things about the diet?

A: I really don’t know where to begin. This has changed my life completely. You can read my low carb “bio” on the Carbhealth website at: http://www.e-clipse.com/magazine/profile-katy.htm

Do you have any negative comments about the diet?

A: Only that I awaiting the day when low carbing gets the mainstream recognition it deserves. It’s not easy being a committed low carber with very little support in the Real World.

Any other comments?

Only that I believe that a high carbohydrate diet is at the root of many of the modern diseases of civilization, including heart disease, diabetes and many cancers. Fat has got a bad name over the past 30-50 years, but all the research showing high fat diets are bad for you are done in the presence of a high carbohydrate diet, where carbohydrates make up approximately 50% of the diet of the subjects studied! This is to assume that consumption of a high carbohydrate diet is, by definition, innocuous. IMO this is flawed science and, even to my untrained scientific brain, obvious! Humans evolved over millions of years on a diet of protein and fat, carbohydrates were eaten sparingly – only what the hunters could “gather”, and then only in season. Grains and cereals were introduced only 5,000 years ago, which, evolutionarily speaking, is only yesterday! This is not enough time for human beings to have evolved the facility to process a high carbohydrate diet efficiently and this has particularly led to problems since low fat/high carbohydrate diets have come into “fashion” over the past 20-30 years. Please see Barry Groves’ website (above) for more comprehensive and more eloquent information.

I do hope that Real Story will give a balanced view of low carbing, and not resort to the banner headline type of presentation that we have seen on the likes of “Tonight with Trevor McDonald”. I hope that Real Story will begin the subject with an open mind, and thoroughly investigate by looking behind government recommendations and so called scientific results to the beginnings of the low fatting fad in the early 1950s.

Best regards

Katy Wheeler
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 16:30

Mine:

BBC1’s Real Story Atkins Diet Survey

When did you first try the Atkins Diet?

A: April of this year

A: Am still on it.

What was your weight BEFORE you tried the Atkins Diet?

A: 17st 7lb

What was your weight when you came off the Atkins Diet?

A: 16st 5 and losing

If you lost weight on the diet, did it stay off when you came off the diet?

A: I haven't come off. NO weight stays off if you stop ANY diet, that's a bit of a silly question really. You go back to eating junk and the weight will come back on.

A: n/a

If so, how many times?

What is your weight NOW?

A: 16st 5

Have you suffered any illness or health problems as a result of the diet?

A: Nope. None at all. In fact, my MS syptoms have almost disappeared and my PCOS side effects have gone.

Would you try it again?

A: I'm going to be eating this way for life.

A: Yes, you'd be stupid not to.

A: Yes, to the letter.

What are the positive things about the diet

A: Losing weight, increased energy, better skin, better hair, no lethargy, NO CRAVINGS! yay!

A: None whatsoever.

Any other comments?

A: I wish people would stop 'bashing' this eating plan. If you do it right there's no problems. People who do it wrong, i.e., eat no veggies or salads, are just asking for trouble. You do this right, you're on your way to being healthy. It's such an easy way of life to stick to!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plus an email that I sent afterwards:

It's good to be able to put OUR views across as opposed to the sensationlism and downright clap-trap that's in the media at the moment.

Those of us on Atkins and who follow it properly know exactly how beneficial it is to us. When people such as Claire Sweeney start going on about being made ill by it, it makes me want to scream. No-one ever got ill by eating grilled meats, fish, salads, veggies and olive oil. It's utter nonsense that is being spouted these days. I think people should go and pick on something else for a change instead of bashing a way of eating that truly TRULY helps and makes you healthier.

I do hope that the programme will reflect the viewpoint of the people who do this for a healthy life and not just for a quick fix.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 03:14

BF:

good on your lisa will need to watch the programme nov too far away remind me nearer the time
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 10:40

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

My response:

BBC1's Real Story Atkins Diet Survey

A: 1st November 2001

A: I am effectively still following the principles of the Atkins low carb regimen as set out in the diet

A: 19 stone 3 pounds

A: Not applicable as it has become a permanent change to the way I eat. This is what Atkins would call the maintenance stage.

If you lost weight on the diet, did it stay off when you came off the
diet?

A: In periods that I increased my carbohydrate consumption significantly (over Christmas holidays etc. weight was put on.

A: Maximum gain was about 10 lbs before I took remedial action by reverting to induction levels of carbohydrate and taking the weight off again

A: “Atkins” is the populist way of describing low carb method of weight control. In this respect I have never left the “Diet”

If so, how many times?

A: N/A

What is your weight NOW?

A:16 stone 5lbs

Have you suffered any illness or health problems as a result of the
diet?

A: None whatsoever. Much healthier and fitter. Blood pressure has decreased and Cholesterol levels have decreased.

Would you try it again?

A: I would recommend it

A: Yes. I also read protein power, The zone and Carbohydrate addicts diet.

A: More or less but did not take all the supplements that were recommended and probably did not/do not drink enough water

What are the positive things about the diet

A: It works and I understand why it works. It is easy and sustainable. I eat more vegetables and unrefined natural foods than I ever did.

A: Not about the diet but the Atkins nutritional products are not available in the UK. I tried some in the US and was not impressed.

Any other comments?

The ideas in Atkins are not new. They were formulated years ago by Banting. The common sense idea that sugar, sweets, bread and potatoes made you fat was accepted wisdom when I was a child. The idea that fat made you fat came later and rests entirely on the calorific reasoning that a gram of fat has about twice the calories of a gram of protein. Atkins does not recommend overeating. He suggests that carbohydrate (sugar) has a direct impact on the production of Insulin. This is not denied by the established medical profession. His observation suggests that we all have a different level of sensitivity to insulin. We have different was of controlling our blood sugar levels.

I always wondered why I would eat much the same as my thin friends and I would get fat and they did not. It was not over eating but just a different level of sensitivity to insulin.

The Atkins diet proved the only way, after 30 years of trying a multitude of diets, that addressed the real problem. It works and continues to work.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 02:00

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up My response to the BBC

I started the Atkins diet on 4 August 2001 after many years of being on a low fat regime.

Over 2 years later I am still following the Atkins plan and this will now be my eating pattern for life.

At the start I weighed 16 stone 10 pounds which for someone of only 4 ft 6 in is rather a lot!

I am still losing Atkins to lose weight and so far I have lost almost 5 stone and now weight 11 stone 13 pounds.

If you lost weight on the diet, did it stay off when you came off the diet?
I have never really come off the diet, but on holidays when slightly more indulgence has been allowed then I will have put on up to 5 pounds, but have had little difficulty losing this afterwards.

If you come off plan you are always going to put some weight on. This is mainly water weight as for each gram of carbs in the body 4 molecules of water are associated with it. Hence after a good meal of carbohydrates you put on weight temporarily.

Have you tried the Atkins Diet Again?
I’ve never come off it and have also researched other low carb plans such as Protein Power, The Schwarzbein Principle, Charles Clark, Eat Fat, Get Thin. All these plans limit carbohydrate intake.

What is your weight NOW?
This week my weight is 11stone 13 pounds. My target weight is around 7 stone.

Have you suffered any illness or health problems as a result of the diet?
No. I believe I have a healthier diet than 90% of the UK population. I do take a multivitamin and mineral tablet each day and also additional potassium and magnesium. The extra water drunk on this way of life has reduced my bodies stores of these elements. The potassium cured a mild dizziness I got during exercise at the gym and the magnesium leg cramps. Neither have returned after these supplements were included.

In the 2 years I have been on the diet I have not been to the doctor for any reason outside of the menopause. My blood results of a year ago are excellent. My cholesterol is OK, my HDL was 1.7 and my triglycerides extremely low at 0.04.

Yes I did and have read it again since. For anyone to do the diet effectively they should read the book as there is so much more information here than can be found by word of mouth or searching on the web. Charles Clark’s book is a simplified version of Atkins tailored for the UK audience and therefore explains things even more simply.

Yes I did. The results speak for themselves.

What are the positive things about the diet?
Feeling in control of what you are eating
Not feeling hungry
Being more alert
Needing less sleep
Quick weight loss in the first couple of weeks
Eating normal foods
Being able to eat foods that on a low fat diet have been banned for many years

The tendency towards constipation in the first week as your body adjusts
Mood swings and energy changes during first week as your body adjusts

Any other comments
The low carb way of life is great for most people who have a tendency to put on weight around the middle. The diet controls the insulin production by the pancreas and thus not only does it help in weight control it stops the production of bad cholesterol (LDL) and the ability to put excess fat into your fat cells. Both of these require excess carbohydrates and insulin.

I would like to know how the Atkins people in Diet Trials have got on 6 months down the line.

You can see pictures of my change in weight at the following link. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/anne.b...b%20journey.htm

I am a mentor on an international low carb site, a link to my journal can be found here. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...25&page=1&pp=15

For me Atkins is not a quick fix, but after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting it is so nice to see the pounds coming off week after week. I put on over 2 stone on a low fat plan. In the past I have tried calorie controlled diets and after 6 weeks the weight loss stopped. Now I know why as I put my body into starvation mode and reduced my metabolic rate. My slow progress is caused by the effects I had on my metabolic rate when I was younger. This is a great way of life for anyone in their 40’s and above to follow in order to lose weight and prevent the onset of adult diabetes. For many who already have it it is the way to control their diabetes without medication.

My original target was to lose weight by the time I was 50 in 2005. I am unlikely to reach that target, but hope to do so before the end of 2005 when I will be back to the weight I was in the mid-seventies.

I look forward to seeing the programme you are producing in November.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 13:23

BF:
Angry

I got the new Radio Times for next week today, and noticed that Real Story, on Monday 3rd November, is not to be about low carb at all!! And the website is not any more helpful

I suppose they will show it at a later date - but I've been looking forward to this! Doh!!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 10:28

I just emailed Philip Hawkins about this and aksed if they were actually going to air the Atkins programme or not. I'll let you know what he says. This week it's about someone called Angela Canning who was convicted of killing her her two children. I think they found new evidence recently or something.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 08:28

BF:

there is a programme for all uk people on bbc2 at 7.30pm about atkins but havent seen it on real story.the programme is tonight on 5th nov bbc2 7.30pm
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:30

BF:

Still no sign of Real Story doing the Atkins thing from their website details.

I've been wondering whether the reason is actually that they had such a HUGE response from their questionnaire that they need more time to assimilate the information. Wouldn't that be good??
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:55

BF:
Smile New Avatar

Sorry - just wanted to check out my new avatar in a post!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:40

BF:
Post New date!

From my new Radio Times, I see that this Real Story programme is finally going to be broadcast on Monday 1st December at 7.30 pm on BBC1.

However, my heart sinks when I see the write-up - apparently they follow a group of *doctors* while they try the Atkins Diet! Could they have chosen a more biased group of people?!?!? I think not.

Together with this only being a half hour programme on Prime Time TV, methinks this programme will be more "a la Trevor McDonald Tonight Show", banner- headline type stuff than like the recent less biased Channel 4 prog.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:55

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

hmm yes it certainly does sound worrying doesn't it! anyway thank you I will put a reminder in my diary and see what it says.

if nothing else we know it works