Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 00:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Is it that time again??

My energy levels have suddenly taken a big dip and I must admit I am having a bit of a struggle trying to stay positive ... mostly 'cos I am JUST NOT getting done what I plan for the day. My light box came on about a month ago but this morning I felt I needed to remind myself of this again.

Is it just me?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 12:52

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Boy, this is such good information. I haven't experienced real winter in 10 years but always hate daylight savings time because I miss my hour of light in the morning.

Even in warm sunny climes (San Diego and the Mediterranean) I get depressed by February and it doesn't let up until about the end of April. By October it is back because of the dark mornings. After we lose daylight savings time I am good again for a couple of months and then whamo! This has been going on most of my life. Last year I was really depressed and had trouble just functioning. I took St John's Wort and that worked for awhile but I noticed that my memory got worse the longer I took it. So when I moved in June I stopped.

Now I am living in Germany and it is very cloudy most of the time, dark when I go to work and dark when I leave. I am scared I am just going to become immobile.

So my question is: do you know where I can get one of those lamps by mail order, preferably a 220 but I have a transformer and can use a 110 in my house? I am hoping the low carb helps and I am trying to exercise at least three days a week.

Thanks for all the useful info. Susan
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 13:08

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default sad

when i first joined this forum, i was really excited that i found a support group for my new found woe. who knew it would lead to this.
i have always assumed that i got "holiday blues" because of childhood issues (no need to go into that here), and have always been depressed in winter. i figured i just started early (late october) and got out of it late (feb). the most noticeable or telling element for me, is that when it starts staying lighter longer and warming up, i have a significant elevation in mood and motivation. but now i think i know the answer. if i have sad, then i can try the light!! this is very encouraging to me. (i swear i'm weepy right now).
off to find a light, and thank you all for sharing.
brenda
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 00:43

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Not so SAD....

I started an exercise program in June, hoping I'd be 'hooked' enough by winterblah time to keep it up. It really really seems to be helping with the SAD symptoms! Or maybe they're going into remission ... I've heard symptoms tend to disappear after some time. Or maybe it's the low carb (I was low carbing last year, but I didn't start till October). Or maybe it just hasn't started yet. But I have a sneaking suspicion it's the exercise. I'm using my lightbox in the morning as well. Also, I've quit drinking coffee and have made myself get into the habit of getting up by 7:00 even if I don't need to be anywhere in the morning. Perhaps cutting down on hours of sleep is also helping?

I don't know what's done it - there are too many variables - but it's SOOO much better, so far, than last year .... maybe there is hope!

Rachel
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 09:37

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Hope for us all then!

Thanks Rachel.

Exercise - especially out in the daylight definitely helps me. Only it is so cold it takes drive and motivation (and all kinds of self-bribery ) to get myself out there.

I am definitely better than I was this time last year but the marked decrease in energy levels from just a few weeks ago is taking time to adjust to. I started LCing in May this year so perhaps next year will be even better.

Take Bright-Light Energetic care.

P.S. On second thoughts I am being hard on myself and very critical and judgmental. I never ONCE stayed up until 1-2am last year (seems quite routine this year) and I am up most days by 6.30am - so if I do need a little rest in the afternoon it is quite OK.